Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Afghanistan '11 out, sequel to Vietnam '65

agris

Arcane
Patron
Anyone played either of these games? I couldn't find reference to either of them here.

BlackAdderBG

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Removed form wishlist.The Vietnam one was 10-ish bucks and this one looked good after I watched some videos of the mechanics, but 25 euro,what was I expecting from Matrix :|

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I've played few hours of Vietnam'65.
It's a nice little game with emphasis on reconnaissance and keeping your units supplied, instead of straight up fighting.
Enemy units disperse after taking any combat action. So you won't ever get to fight pitched battles. It's more about ambush and counter-ambush.
Initial mobile UI was horrible, but they have fixed that.

edit.

Last edited:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Uh, I intended to pick it up but $30 is way too much.

Slitherine gonna slither.

Comte

Uh, I intended to pick it up but $30 is way too much.

Slitherine gonna slither.
Same as me too much. I will wait for deep discount. I enjoyed Vietnam '65 but I would not pay $30 for it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Here's Iain's explanation on the Steam forums:

With Vietnam we tried the very low price point for an entry level wargame to widen the audience, but what we've found is is makes very little difference to volume of sales. After this and with Afghanistan being a vastly superior game we've priced it at a more standard price of $29.99. Despite what you may believe, dropping the price does not dramatically increase sales. If we'd released Vietnam at a higher price point we would have made more money and we wouldn't have some people expecting this game to be cheaper :) The market for these games is incredibly inelastic. If you want to play games like this the developers need to be able to earn enough to pay the bills.

This would be the very same Iain who believed Steam was an unprofitable product platform back in 2011, expertly steering the company clear of digital distribution's golden years.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Has anyone here played this?
Any impressions?

It's really good. All that stuff about logistics might sound boring, but when you actually play the game it's not. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than pushing around a million little counters like you do in most wargames. It's not just some gimmicky little indie game that you play once and forget about, either. I've got 20+ hours in it and I'm sure I'll come back and play again in the future, so $30 isn't too much to ask for it.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Has anyone here played this?
Any impressions?

It's really good. All that stuff about logistics might sound boring, but when you actually play the game it's not. It's a hell of a lot more interesting than pushing around a million little counters like you do in most wargames. It's not just some gimmicky little indie game that you play once and forget about, either. I've got 20+ hours in it and I'm sure I'll come back and play again in the future, so $30 isn't too much to ask for it.
Nice to know that Vietnam'65 game play has been scaled up successfully with more complexity .

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
http://www.slitherine.com/news/2672/Afghanistan.11.Royal.Marines.is.announced!

Afghanistan '11: Royal Marines is announced!

We have great and unexpected news today: Afghanistan '11 will be greatly expanded with tons of new content, a new campaign, a new faction, new mechanics and more!

Royal Marines, the first expansion for Afghanistan '11, will introduce Her Majesty's finest to the game.

With a new 10 scenarios long campaign, a new faction, the British Army, plenty new units, new mechanics such as civilian vehicles, car bombs, roadblocks and much more, Royal Marines is a must-have for all Afghanistan '11 players.

The expansion has been in testing for a while now and we are pretty close to its release. It will be out on Steam and iTunes on September 6th!

For all information on Royal Marines, please visit its product page.

There is more: Paradogs Gamer will be streaming Royal Marines live on our Twitch channel for an exclusive first look preview on Monday September 3th at 7 pm CEST! Don't miss it!

http://www.slitherine.com/products/product.asp?gid=726

ghanistan ’11 is back with a new expansion and COIN strategy has never been this intense!

Royal Marines brings back the winning formula of Afghanistan ’11 and innovates on it with plenty new features. A new campaign, a new faction, plenty new units, civilian vehicles, car bombs, roadblocks, Afghan police… Royal Marines is a must-have for all Afghanistan ’11 players.

New UK faction

Lead the British forces in their attempt to stabilize the region, with plenty new units such as the Warthog (capable of traversing mountains), the Scimitar or the Jackal.

New UK Campaign

A new scenario campaign is included for the UK Army, following the deployment of the Royal Marines into Afghanistan. From Operation Ptarmigan to Operation Ghartse Dagger, the new campaign adds 10 new unique scenarios for dozens of hours of additional fun.

Civilian vehicles

Civilian vehicles will now randomly spawn on the Highway and the Roads connected to it and travel across it to other villages. But beware of…

Car Bombs

Civilian vehicles might be carrying explosives which will detonate upon reaching their destination village.

Roadblocks

Build roadblocks to stop and search vehicles and you might be able to prevent a car bomb attack. Doing so will give you Hearts & Minds as well as give you Intel.

Afghan Police

Win enough H&M in a village and you will receive an Afghan Police unit, capable of taking part to Roadblocks as well as to gather Intel in villages without the need of infantry.

Intelligence from Villages

The window of opportunity for gathering intelligence from villages now occurs randomly and only remains available for a random period of time after the fire first starts to burn. This represent the village elders having a meeting and then disbanding.

FOB Capacity

FOBs now have limited capacity to house troops and vehicles. Whenever a FOB is overcrowded, the player will incur PP costs for every unit over the limit.

Automatic trigger of ISAF handover

Whenever a player has an overall H&M score of above 70 for four (4) consecutive turns, the ISAF handover process is automatically triggered.

Special Forces proximity combat modifier

Whenever regular infantry are within the spotting range of a SF unit, they will receive an additional combat bonus.

Uniform

A unique and separate uniform displaying new awards, badges and medals for the UK army has been added.

CyberWhale

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Codex be like:

>we want gamez with complex mechanix that only complete aspies can understand and enjoy
>moans that 30 bucks is too fucking much, buys AAA crap on teh first day for double amount

Never change bruhs.

:salute::salute::salute:

Beowulf

Arcane
If this is what counts as complex mechanics, I'll keep my 30 euro and shiterine continue to enjoy it's 100 players per game.
While agree with my monocled brother here, that it doesn't look complex at all, it doesn't mean it can't be deep.
I'm going to try it, when I will have some more time (which will happen when I finally land in a grave, from the looks of it).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Codex be like:

>we want gamez with complex mechanix that only complete aspies can understand and enjoy
>moans that 30 bucks is too fucking much, buys AAA crap on teh first day for double amount

Never change bruhs.

:salute::salute::salute:

These games do not have complex mechanics. Vietnam '65 was about as good of a $5 game as you can get, though. Afghanistan '11's price range is pretty ridiculous by comparison.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
If you want a wargame, buy this. If you want a toy to calm you down when your autism is flaring, I suggest you try a fidget spinner or a Rubik's cube.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Apple has removed Slitherine’s Afghanistan ’11 from sale on the app store. Their reason given was that the game featured “people from specific governments or other real entities as the enemies”.
:deathclaw:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom