Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Age of Decadence Reviews

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Another satisfied customer:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198005622066/recommended/230070/

So much "freedom" yet - as many others have pointed out - there's really only a handful of very specific viable builds if you ever want to progress. Have fun making the character you WANT to be, only to quit after an hour when you realize you can't even kill the tutorial bandits. I appreciate difficult games but this is just plain not fun.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Positive review ratio has dropped from 84% to 81% suddenly. Don't know how that's possible to be honest, just a week ago it was 84% and now it's 3% lower when there weren't that many negative reviews? I suspect that some of the older reviews must have been taken out of the equation, otherwise I don't see how that's possible. It seems that all negative reviews are taken into account but about 150 positive reviews are not.
Vault Dweller
Steam just added a new feature under which not just keys that originate from third parties (like bundles, or developers, or sites like BMT) but also Steam-bought keys given as gifts through Steam cannot generate reviews counted for the main ratio. The effect of this has been to wipe out a much larger percentage of reviews than the prior changes, at last for the titles I follow (WEG adventure games). Primordia had lost about 25 under the old policy, and lost an additional 175 200 [EDIT: one odd thing is that the attrition has been gradual, so every time I look we've lost more reviews] under the new one. At least with respect to WEG, the change has been mixed -- some games went up (like Blackwell Deception and Shardlight) but other games went down (like Gemini Rue and Resonance). It didn't affect Primordia's ratio, but that's just dumb chance, really.

[EDIT: One other thing. In my experience, whenever we would steeply drop Primordia's price, we'd get more negative reviews than at full price. I suspect the recent deep discount on AOD accounts for the past 30 days of reviews being at 72% positive while the overall rate is 81%. When you lower the barrier to entry, you're more likely to get people who think, "Well, I dunno about this hardcore combat stuff, but it sounds interesting..." or whatever, and then they play it, and don't like it. You also convert people who never liked this kind of game before, and that's why on balance it's a good thing, but it's still likely to yield a greater rate of dissatisfied customers. That might seem perverse -- that people paying 1/3 the price would be twice as likely to be dissatisfied as people paying full price -- but price seems not to affect the analysis in that way -- it comes up only in certain frameworks like "This game is too short to justify $X" or "For a game that costs $Y, the graphics look horrible." But people don't have a general, "At $10 I'd rate this game a 7 and at $2 I'd rate it an 8." kind of mindset, it seems, which is pretty sensible because for most players the $8 difference is a nullity and the real cost is the time to play the game.]

Last edited:

Trash Player

Scholar
Any Russian speaker mind translating this one?
It is negative but he played longer than 100 hours, sounds like a legitimately disappointed customer
That screenshot helps too, the build featured seems to be the worst possible stats spread + the most efficient skill build (Xbow+blocking), e.g. a challenge run exploring the limits of character building and combat system.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198119215915/recommended/230070/

Trash Player

Scholar
Ok, some people have to spend 1337 hours or finish 7 playthroughs to make up their mind, I guess

PlanHex

Arcane
Patron
Much of that time is likely just the game idling.
Going by achievements, he only finished a single merchant playthrough: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198119215915/stats/230070/?tab=achievements
Pretty thorough one, but only one.
At least it seems to match the ones I got with my first character.

edit: Except killing Faelan and becoming Arena champion. Not sure how he managed that while on the merchant line.

Also, since the first achievement was on Feb 18th, last one on March 3rd, he must have had the computer + game running for 12 hours/day on average...

edit2:
Also, don't you have to get either godless world, novus something or sleeping dogs to get ending slides?
So he finished everything except the actual ending...

edit3:
Hey, my game just started updating. http://steamcommunity.com/games/aod/announcements/detail/666937047906028512

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
He seem to be suffering with OCD disappointed achievement hunter. Pissed off that there's shitload of text in the game, he praise it to be good quality text though in the same sentence. He's also complaining that instead of playing he had the game running in background most of the clocked time, since he had to search for every possible dialogue outcome on the interwebz in order not to miss any content or location. (My guess is this is possibly the only Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy hating Russian kid, rare specimen!)

Trash Player

Scholar
He certainly reached quite far into the game.
It is possible to leave the temple and everything inside alone, you just have to bail out before waking big A up, I think.
The last update is in!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I based this on a comic strip with slightly different content, but it captures the spirit.

GH3oKKk.jpg

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Any Russian speaker mind translating this one?
It is negative but he played longer than 100 hours, sounds like a legitimately disappointed customer
That screenshot helps too, the build featured seems to be the worst possible stats spread + the most efficient skill build (Xbow+blocking), e.g. a challenge run exploring the limits of character building and combat system.
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198119215915/recommended/230070/
  • Too much text. Though it's good.
  • You can fail completing a walkthrough or miss some content without guides.
  • Sometimes it's more beneficial to be evil.
Etc. Nothing interesting here. This is not a review, just some nitpicking from the guy who spent 175 hrs to find anything to complain about.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Anyone who plays a game for 175 hours is not a legitimately disappointed customer. He posted the review after he clocked 125 hours, then played 50 more just to be sure that he didn't like it.

He has quite a few games in his library and AoD is his second longest playing game.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198119215915/games/?tab=all
I'm sure many on the Codex disagree. :D Those who play Pillars, Wasteland, Elite Dangerous for 200 hours then complain they are shit.

That said, I agree with you, you can't sink that much hour into a supposedly shit game, you have to enjoy it. It is dishonest to write a negative review after that.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Yeah, he was attracted by the non-violent skills so he chose non-combat path but discovered it becomes unintersting, a lot of content locked without guide, also if you leave first сity you lost all quests, if you leave second - some location from second сity is locked, also you can't be a fair hero here, because it is often more benefical to act against justice.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'm sure many on the Codex disagree. Those who play Pillars, Wasteland, for 200 hours then complain they are shit.

The difference is that PoE and W2 are filled with trash mobs. You keep playing them in the hopes that something good will come along, but it never does. Before you know, you already passed the 70h mark, because these games are designed to be time sinks with playtroughs of 100hs or more. You have to do this whether you like it or not. Besides, some players wanted to play it in order to assure whether InXile and Obsidian really have what it takes. AoD quests on the other hand are carefully hand-placed, and it’s an indie game made by an obscure person. You can see by this guy’s achievements that he made all quests involving merchant and praetor playtroughs, i.e., he is a storyfag. He probably got annoyed that he couldn’t master the combat system.

Old One

Arcane
I sank a lot of hours into Neverwinter Nights and I think it's terrible. The thing that kept me going was the promise of better, user-made modules and puzzlement over why I wasn't enjoying it as much as I'd thought I would. Even though I liked some of the fan modules, I find it impossible to replay them now because the engine is so bad. If I could go back in time and get my hours refunded, I would.

It is possible to play a game for a long time and not really enjoy it.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Wanted to read some of the negative reviews for shits and giggles. Not reccomended, it actually kinda pissed me off. Fucking people.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
As a very well written and interesting game. I was quite dismayed to find so much cursing in it and also the way your choices decide your fate. I would have liked to make a morale, kind and ethical individual but I couldn`t even by choices the character has an wicked heart no matter what you do, you will murder, steal or do all sorts of bad things even if what you`re doing seems right at the time the game will somehow twist your choice eventually to turn you into a very bad person whom is only out for their own power and prestige. It just didn`t make me feel good after playing a couple of hours as I became a cursing, murderious, dishonest and wicked character as I progressed and those were with the somewhat good choices, so I thought at the time...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom