Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Astral Rag

Arcane
How to actually enjoy Mass Effect: Andromeda

Looks like that shipment of Doritos finally arrived at Eurogamer HQ.

Dexter

Arcane

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Polygon provides the In-depth coverage - "Mass Effect's most bangable aliens, ranked": https://archive.fo/lU6HN

garme jurnalizm!1
Kotaku - Here's How Mass Effect: Andromeda Handles Sex and Romance: http://archive.is/zKw8O
Arse Technica - The correct alien sex choices in the Mass Effect trilogy: http://archive.is/gek4h
Autostraddle - Mass Effect Characters, Ranked By Bangability: http://archive.is/VGX9E
:abyssgazer:
Why... Just, why?

Malpercio

Arcane
I swear you guys are more obsessed with Bioware romances than the people that I know are into this game, at this point. :P

There's nothing inherently bad with romances in an RPG. Problem is that Bioware do that stuff only to pander to a certain audience, and it is done in a way in which you have to flirt with them until you have the sex scene (treated as a quest reward), and then you've done with that character.
It's basically a chekbox on their list of "mandatory" stuff to insert in their product, nothing more.

Sounds like the average waifu game, including Codex beloved Witcher 1. :M

Now imagine if all that wasted time on retarded romances would have been spend on actual gameplay, animations and writing a non-retarded and at least slightly innovative story and maybe, just maybe, you understand why we shit so hard on these "romances". Nevermind the context as to how and why they came to be in the first place.

The game would still stuck because modern Bioware can't write for shit and no one left knows jack shit about designing a good game, news at 11. :M

I take this thread is a bunch of newfriends at their first big Bioware release surprised by the outcome.

Last edited:

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Polygon provides the In-depth coverage - "Mass Effect's most bangable aliens, ranked": https://archive.fo/lU6HN

garme jurnalizm!1
Kotaku - Here's How Mass Effect: Andromeda Handles Sex and Romance: http://archive.is/zKw8O
Arse Technica - The correct alien sex choices in the Mass Effect trilogy: http://archive.is/gek4h
Autostraddle - Mass Effect Characters, Ranked By Bangability: http://archive.is/VGX9E
:abyssgazer:
Why... Just, why?

Sex sells.. but who's buying.

Sykar

Arcane
I swear you guys are more obsessed with Bioware romances than the people that I know are into this game, at this point. :P

There's nothing inherently bad with romances in an RPG. Problem is that Bioware do that stuff only to pander to a certain audience, and it is done in a way in which you have to flirt with them until you have the sex scene (treated as a quest reward), and then you've done with that character.
It's basically a chekbox on their list of "mandatory" stuff to insert in their product, nothing more.

Now imagine if all that wasted time on retarded romances would have been spend on actual gameplay, animations and writing a non-retarded and at least slightly innovative story and maybe, just maybe, you understand why we shit so hard on these "romances". Nevermind the context as to how and why they came to be in the first place.

The game would still stuck because modern Bioware can't write for shit and no one left knows jack shit about designing a good game, news at 11. :M

I take this thread is a bunch of newfriends at their first big Bioware release surprised by the outcome.

Who is surprised here? :smug:

donkeymong

Scholar

Bethesda "rpgs" didnt have romances, yet the gameplay and storytelling are mediocre at best. So thats not a valid reason and its not that Bioware put
much effort in the relationships. Its basicly "We bang, okay" .

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
Can't wait for their return to KOTOR single player with their current development team. Gay droids, trans wookiees, social justice ewoks, gender fluid pansexual Jedi chosen ones, romancing hutts (HAES) and the animation and writing quality that makes the average shit on tumblr and deviant art look like Weta Workshop.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Can't wait for their return to KOTOR single player with their current development team. Gay droids,

A bit late for that
4974200-0189939493-Vinta.jpg

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
The new alien design, the pink thing, is really bad. I never thought much of the original Mass Effect aliens like Salarians and Turians, but next to this new thing they look cool and original.
screen-shot-2017-01-26-at-124353-pmpng.png

It's just a mess, and it looks like it's from a completely different series, not Mass Effect.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
The new alien design, the pink thing, is really bad. I never thought much of the original Mass Effect aliens like Salarians and Turians, but next to this new thing they look cool and original.

It's just a mess, and it looks like it's from a completely different series, not Mass Effect.
Might you say that it looks... alien? :M

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014

Might you say that it looks... alien? :M

No, it looks like a costume from an episode of Babylon 5.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
BioWare aren't limited to costumes and makeup as were the producers of Star Trek, Babylon 5, et cetera—and yet in their only truly original modern IP, virtually all of the aliens are Foreheads of the Week, hominids with human-like features and shit glued on. The hanar are the one exception.

donkeymong

Scholar
BioWare aren't limited to costumes and makeup as were the producers of Star Trek, Babylon 5, et cetera—and yet in their only truly original modern IP, virtually all of the aliens are Foreheads of the Week, hominids with human-like features and shit glued on. The hanar are the one exception.
Rachni? The Thorian? Elcor? The Keepers? One could also argue that a humanoid stature is an advantage when developing\making tools.

Last edited:

Lazing Dirk

Arcane

At least when it comes to anything you can speak with, yes, though there is the elcor too; they're pretty amusing in places. I guess you do also talk to the rachni at queen one point, and the Thorian. All of these were pre-Andromeda though. I guess evolution in Andromeda wasn't as imaginative or something.

Edit: GODDAMN FUCKING NINJAS

Dexter

Arcane

47cc6cd77d862e0fd0e7a8eed8516372.jpg
d4b0ee0c8c392171fa6c0cc01786530b.jpg

tumblr_om3u58DeO91vg6vido1_500.jpg

brian-chan-twilek-breakdown3.jpg

tumblr_o6knscBTaT1up84mbo1_500.jpg

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Rachni? The Thorian? Elcor? The Keepers? One could also argue that a humanoid stature is an advantage when developing\making tools.

Enemies don't count. God knows Star Trek had plenty of wacky alien monsters.

The Elcor are another, though. Fair point. Of course, they're completely unplayable and used as fairly minor NPCs.

donkeymong

Scholar

Enemies don't count. .

And the reason for this is...
The rachni queen isnt an enemy, by the way. She lost control over her offspring that turned insane because they where isolated from her. Neither are the Keepers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom