Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Indie Obscure indies that deserve more attention - Updated Jan. 2020

EnthalpyFlow

Scholar
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So i'm looking for a game with a some what decent story, CC if possible but not a requirement. Are there any games like that around that are not the more main stream releases?
Forgive my ignorance, what does CC means?
choices and consequences
sorry
No need to apologize, I'm sure it's well known in this forum. i'm new, thanks.

If you're in the mode for C&C, then you could try Oxenfree, Downfall, The Deed, Pathologic, 2064: Read Only Memories, King of the Dragon Pass, Lisa, Serpent in the Staglands, 7 Grand Steps: What Ancients Begat or Sunless Sea. I'm sure you'll find something that suits you in that list.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
This looks interesting, I guess?

ss_46363b23aaa0c821f2e9e5bb0ac2a0c966ee3392.600x338.jpg

Kingsway is an RPG in which you use a mock operating system to manage your adventure. Every element of the game is a part of the operating system. Enemies and traps are popups, backpacks are the file folders where you organize your items, and quests are emails. The world of Kingsway is randomly generated every time you play, and death is permanent.

Choose from various character types each with their own special skills.

Discover a strange land of monsters, bandits, and other adventurers.

Choose to be good or evil by choosing to help your fellow adventurers, defeating powerful monsters, or steal and murder your way to the top.

Defeat enemies and plunder crypts and caves for treasure.

Complete Quests for extra special treasure.

Organize the interface to suit your play style.

Kinda reminds of early Windows games.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Yeah it bears a striking resemblance to Apple II games as well as the PC Port of the Japanese Wizardry collection.

Alchemist

Arcane
Looks like it could be fun.

Also sorta like Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol...
Nbn8EAA.png

I wish more CRPGs looked like business / productivity programs... seriously. There's something to be gained by not chasing after "immersion" at all.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This looks interesting, I guess?

ss_46363b23aaa0c821f2e9e5bb0ac2a0c966ee3392.600x338.jpg

Kingsway is an RPG in which you use a mock operating system to manage your adventure. Every element of the game is a part of the operating system. Enemies and traps are popups, backpacks are the file folders where you organize your items, and quests are emails. The world of Kingsway is randomly generated every time you play, and death is permanent.

Choose from various character types each with their own special skills.

Discover a strange land of monsters, bandits, and other adventurers.

Choose to be good or evil by choosing to help your fellow adventurers, defeating powerful monsters, or steal and murder your way to the top.

Defeat enemies and plunder crypts and caves for treasure.

Complete Quests for extra special treasure.

Organize the interface to suit your play style.

Kinda reminds of early Windows games.

I heard from somebody in a comments section that you have to beat the game in 5 days or it's game over.

rafaninja888

Novice
Was looking for a thread like this. Are some of these recommended more than the rest? Looking for something with a story, but not overlong.....

Jokzore

Arbiter
I don't know if im posting in the right thread , i'm wondering if someone played Crown Champion: Legends of the Arena , its 1.5$ on https://chrono.gg/ as of time of posting. Worth?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Mustawd

Looks like a crappy RPGmaker game to me.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/527710/

Nothing says "low-energy shovelware" like creating NPC portraits by race/gender swapping a single head model. Muh diversitay!!

hGWoNOW.png

I wouldn't criticize it if the gameplay sounded any good, but when the Steam reviews say it's shit, you know it's shit.

fry.gif

This looks suspiciously like another Ellis Studios' "masterpiece"

If they're not the same people then they at least have the same MO: http://store.steampowered.com/search/?developer=Pilgrim Adventures

They've released a total of 10 RPGMaker games.

gaussgunner

Arcane
hahahahaha, I didn't even have to look at their other games to detect shovelware.

Wow. This dev "Pilgrim Adventures" has 8 games on Steam, and 7 bundles which include games by other developers and even other publishers.

Almost all rated "Very positive". :roll:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I own 8 of their games. I have only played The Deed. The concept was interesting, though.

gaussgunner

Arcane

Holy shit, I see what you mean.. that's beyond shovelware.

https://dragongamedesigns.itch.io/ (SNAPSHOT: https://archive.is/sy5K4)https://archive.is/sy5K4
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/the-ellis-studios-tribute-thread.112724/

I don't think Pilgrim Adventures is connected... it doesn't look *that* bad. Though I suspect if they announced all their games on the Codex, we'd discover they're not much better.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Hay guys have anyone else here played Laxius Power and Laxius Force trilogies?It is pretty fun game made in RPG maker that have a lot of exploration,secrets and different optional bosses.They are really ugly old games but i will be disappointed if the codex cares that much about graphics.They have some good demos to try out.

DungeoneerAlex

Rogue Sword
Developer
Here's our indie that deserves more attention: Dungeoneeers

It's a single-player, turn-based, dungeon crawl now playable on the web. And we're testing an iPad version too, so if you have an iPad that supports iOS 10 and would like to test, please email me at alex@dungeoneers.com

What do you think of it?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's our indie that deserves more attention: Dungeoneeers

It's a single-player, turn-based, dungeon crawl now playable on the web. And we're testing an iPad version too, so if you have an iPad that supports iOS 10 and would like to test, please email me at alex@dungeoneers.com

What do you think of it?
Remember playing it long back. Quite ok. Had a thread on the dex and everything.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Someone released a "playable" version of an upcoming cyberpunk turn-based blobber.
https://spotonj2k.itch.io/cyberworlds-working-build
Seems inspired by Wizardry 8, currently it's a mess but who knows...
O3Ogrr.png

It’s the year 2100 and the Wyntech/BuyLow corporate alliance has gone too far. Not only are most forced to work for and support their empire, but everyone is now being shoved into cramped housing with 24/7 monitoring.

You and a group known only as The Fragmented have refused to obey the rules, and you find yourself shacked up in an old tavern on an ancient computer with restricted but secure internet access. Here you must assemble a team of up to 6 mercenaries to seek out high-ranking members of the tyrannical companies, “extract” information, and follow a trail that hopefully leads to the toppling of their hierarchy.

Set in a cyberpunk version of Chicago, your vigilantes will traverse the city, exploring and fighting in broken down areas in a first person perspective akin to that of classic RPGs still being played today.
Interesting fact, his previous game, Hollow, is probably inspired by Laplace No Ma (or another game from the same series or something), it's an horror adventure/RPG and the skill screen is very similar, can't be a coincidence :
Sh%2Fgzu.png

Hollow is a horror-themed Adventure/RPG hybrid with an emphasis on the surreal and unknown.

In Hollow, you are a city detective who has transferred to the nearly abandoned rural town of Hollow where some of the worst criminals have mysteriously escaped. It will be up to you and whoever will help to use everything at your disposal to figure out what has happened. Guns, magic, computer hacking, investigation tools, surreal puzzles, and major decision making will factor into whether or not you will succeed.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom