Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Sunless Skies: Sovereign Edition - new Fallen London game from Sunless Sea devs

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/failbetter/sunless-skies-the-sequel-to-sunless-sea

http://www.failbettergames.com/sunless-skies/

https://af.gog.com/game/sunless_skies?as=1649904300

sskies.jpg

It seems Failbetter Games is working on another Fallen London game, this time taking up. I don't think they put anything official out there yet aside from talking to some sites and announcing the game. And it's getting Kickstarted
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-24-failbetter-games-announces-sunless-skies

EDIT
Kickstarter added and funded.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/failbetter/sunless-skies-the-sequel-to-sunless-sea

Failbetter Games has announced Sunless Skies, a sequel to Sunless Sea, live on stage at EGX 2016. The follow up to the Victorian exploration game is currently in the very early stages of development, with a Kickstarter campaign due to launch in February of next year.

"This is the Victorian Empire in space – the High Wilderness – a “blistering, wonderful night” among the thrones and domains of the stars. The Empress has abandoned London and led an exodus to the High Wilderness, to carve out a new British Empire. With the Empire being increasingly authoritarian, bohemians, revolutionaries and outcasts – like you – are trying to make a life for themselves on its fringes."

Last edited by a moderator:

Starwars

Arcane
It had nice atmosphere and a nice idea for a game but the rest was shit.

Did the expansion for it ever come out?

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Facts get.
http://www.failbettergames.com/7-facts-about-our-next-game/

There’s very little we can say at this early stage, but to whet your appetites:

7 facts about Sunless Skies
  1. As with Sunless Sea, it’ll be rich with stories. The Victorian Empire in space – the High Wilderness – a “blistering, wonderful night” among the thrones and domains of the stars. The Empress has abandoned London and led an exodus to the High Wilderness, to carve out a new British Empire. With the Empire being increasingly authoritarian, bohemians, revolutionaries and outcasts – like you – are trying to make a life for themselves on its fringes.
  2. It will elaborate on Sunless Sea. We’re enhancing the stuff we liked, and refining the experience. It will be a punishing game, but respectful of your time.
  3. At full release, it will be available on the same platforms at launch which Sunless Sea is available on now: Windows, Mac and Linux.
  4. We will use Early Access again, taking on board all of the lessons we learned from Sunless Sea.
  5. Why the name? The stars are dying. The stars are the Judgements: the inventors, arbiters and enforcers of the universe’s laws – but a revolution has begun, and the stars are being murdered.
  6. Our influences include: the science fiction of H G Wells and C S Lewis, the planetary romances of Leigh Brackett, Art Nouveau, Event Horizon, trains.
  7. We are running a Kickstarter for it in February! Stop the clocks, mark your diaries, save your pennies!
At the moment we are in pre-production: art concepts, topline story, weekly seminars looking at different aspects of Sunless Sea that we want to renew or update. We learned a lot creating SS, we’re looking forward to using that knowledge to make a smoother, more engaging sequel.

Tick Tock Crocodile

It had nice atmosphere and a nice idea for a game but the rest was shit.

Did the expansion for it ever come out?

Not yet. Back in August they announced it for the 11th of October. Since then it's been small updates like how they've moved SS to Unity 5 to make the UI more amenable, etc.

I'm hopeful that gameplay will be more than a dull grind this time, but not enough so to back it. I remember the posts Alexis made replying to SS suggestions on the forums as being quite stubborn -- almost approaching "art art art!" territory.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They apparently got a Kickstarter going on... and already got funded in a day. :dance:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/failbetter/sunless-skies-the-sequel-to-sunless-sea

4ec0a9fe2e557e6bfc3b4e7e1d611aff_original.png

Over the last few months, we've been developing our vision of Sunless Skies – drawing concept art, writing the lore, designing and prototyping gameplay. We think it's going to be something special and we're excited (gleeful, even) about making it. Before we enter production, we'd like to take the opportunity to confirm that this is also a game you want us to make, and to begin gathering feedback that will help us make the game better.

We're asking for £100 000, which is around what we raised for Sunless Sea. The game's actual budget is higher – £330 000. If this Kickstarter succeeds, we'll fund the difference ourselves, using the proceeds from Fallen London, Sunless Sea and Sunless Sea: Zubmariner.

tronbevan

Barely Literate
Hey there, I'm looking for RPG fans who might be interested in beta testing Failbetter Games's recently Kickstarted PC game, Sunless Skies.

We're essentially looking for Windows/Mac/Linux RPG players with a Steam account who aren't our core players, so we can get some feedback on how the game's looking if you haven't already been indoctrinated to our way of doing things.

Anyone keen? If you are, just send your preferred contact email and platform to skies@failbettergames.com (or just DM me here) and I'll get you set up. If not, er, nothing to see here, as you were. :)

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
e4505933676dffb1ccd4e09f2eea3b43_original.png

ebf577dcd767a16d264aa91d3b97e2e5_original.jpg

Port Prosper is the stronghold of the Windward Company and the terminus of the Isambard Line, London's railroad to the Reach. The Independents call it 'Little London' – it's a caricature of its mother-city: all twee tea-shops, doilied salons, and gaudy theatres.

Meanwhile, in its smoky factories, hours mined from the Mother of Mountains are distilled, stamped and shipped to Albion. A daring captain might want to visit to the Chairman of the Thoroughfares Committee, who offers bounties for ridding the skies of "pirates, smugglers, insurgents and undesirables." It is a generous remit.
:prosper:?

orcinator

Liturgist
Tried it (for free, and not the regular for free as in piracy, the other kind of for free where I get the actual steam key).
They made some very small improvements like having a place to store excess crap and the combat now involves actually aiming your guns.
But you still spend most of your time just going from port to port doing fedex quests, and space is as empty and nonthreatening as the sea in the last game if not more so.

Though I am thankful this made me boot up steam again because I learned helldivers is having a free weekend.

Last edited:

flyingjohn

Arcane
Tried it (for free, and not the regular for free as in piracy, the other kind of for free where I get the actual steam key).
But you still spend most of your time just going from port to port doing fedex quests, and space is as empty and nonthreatening as the sea in the last game if not more so.
So they learned nothing and made another game where most of your time spent is just going from place to place slowly.

Fredward

Scholar
It's in EA though if your primary issue with the former game was "going from place to place slowly" that's probably not gonna improve.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sequel Fatigue Syndrome strikes again: https://www.kickstarter.com/project...skies-the-sequel-to-sunless-sea/posts/2108401

Weathering a Storm

2017 was a mixed bag for us. We’ve come out of it a changed company, and we have some things to update you on.

Sunless Skies

After the remarkable high of the Kickstarter, the response to Sunless Skies in Early Access hasn’t met the level of Sunless Sea in terms of sales. It sold about 15% as many copies as Sunless Sea in the comparable time period.

We think there are a few reasons for this. In hindsight, we went into Early Access too early. The game wasn’t immediately ready for media attention, we lost a key promotional moment; people aren’t talking about the game as much as we’d hope.

The marketplace is also hugely different to the last time we launched an Early Access game (in 2014), and Sunless Skies just isn’t as visible as Sunless Sea was. The success of our Kickstarter probably also led to fewer people buying it at EA launch, which will have made it less visible on storefronts; thousands of people had already picked up their copy.

What does this mean? Development is progressing rapidly (check out our latest Exploration build if you want to see more), and there's no danger of us failing to deliver the project you backed. But the business has a lot less cash in the bank than we wanted to have at this point. Late last year we made some hard decisions to ensure a couple of things: that we don’t reach launch in a financial state that would put the studio in danger of closing before we can make another game, and that we continue with a better structure for a business making games of our kind. With much regret, we have just completed a redundancy consultancy process and four of us are leaving as a result.

Fallen London
In 2017 we rejuvenated Fallen London, and we received much heartwarming feedback from players who returned to the game for Christmas to find the fruits of a lot of hard work.

Something that hasn’t been working as well is the Fallen London mobile app. Despite our best efforts during development, it just doesn’t function as we wanted it to, and we’ve reluctantly concluded that much of this is due to some fundamental architectural decisions that it’s not now practical to change. It also hasn’t been as popular as we’d hoped, and every update we make to the game needs to be duplicated for the app, making it harder and slower for us to improve the game overall. Sadly, for these reasons, we plan to close it down in Q2 2018.

Some good news: work is almost complete that will make Fallen London web look much more like a modern website!

33b951d9c44555db74f80a071f41c788_original.jpg

Fallen London Beta Feb 2018

It will provide a much better experience than the current website on mobile, and not impose the same development burdens as the mobile app. We’re hopeful that it’s a better solution for players and for us. We’ll have more news about this soon.

What’s next?
  • Sunless Skies continues on its path to launch, but we won’t be releasing in May. Right now we’re working on updates that will improve Movement and Combat (due this month) and the release of Albion. We’ll have a revised launch window within the month.
  • We’re retiring the Fallen London app in Q2, and Fallen London on web will be re-launched. There will be a further announcement about this soon, but in the meantime if you have any questions please send them to mobilesupport@failbettergames.com.
  • We’re also officially retiring Fundbetter, our fund for small narrative games, until business improves for us. Giving back to the community was very rewarding, and we have some ideas for how we’d do it again in future, but right now we just don’t have the spare funds or bandwidth.
  • Three years since its initial release, we’ll be tying up loose ends in Sunless Sea (including releasing the special Blemmigan unlocked by this Kickstarter). We will continue to support the game, but it will be the last update for a while as we focus on Sunless Skies.
Into the Fog
We’re keenly aware that, like all indie studios, we are a small and vulnerable vessel. We’re committed to keeping this studio open and making games. We’re in no danger of failing to deliver Sunless Skies, and never have been. The decisions we’ve made over the last few months will enable us to make more games after Sunless Skies and be around for many years to come. Your support, be it financial, on social media, in Steam reviews, or simply by talking about our games, is as always so welcome. We look forward to telling you more about the relaunch of Fallen London, and especially to welcome you to Albion!

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Probably the biggest thing going against Sunless Skies is that Sunless Seas didn't leave a great lasting impression. From my own experience, plus what I've seen here and on other forums over the years, Seas gave a great first impression but then you'd play it for a few days, your admiration for the atmosphere would wear off and you'd realize there wasn't much to it beyond a few interesting quest lines, and ultimately lose interest and forget it existed.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I agree. If they had just not put in so much filler, I would have a much better impression looking back on it. I would be thinking back to a great 15 hour experience, not the tedium that drove me to give up on it.

AMG

Arbiter
"redundancy consultancy process"
now that's a nice euphemism

On the topic of the game, I can only echo the sentiment that Sunless Seas didn't really leave anybody lusting for more.
Kinda like the Banner Saga, they mistook the success of the game as demand for more of it.

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Sunless Sea was amazing and definitely a super underrated game, but it honestly has generated no buzz at all. Nobody really remembers it in the community, it didn't get much attention even though it was a nifty little product, and the survival mechanics being pretty hardcore undoubtedly turned off buckets of casual players who got stuck and dropped the game.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Lovecraft usually gets flak for his purple prose, but what many fail to acknowledge is that he knew how to make his style work in favour of his stories, and most of all, make it feel natural in its setting. It's when reading to bad imitators like these that it becomes most prominent, and that is after all the reason why they will always fail. They made a game focused on a premise (strong world building and atmosphere) which they had not the capacity to back up. Git gud, hacks.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree. If they had just not put in so much filler, I would have a much better impression looking back on it. I would be thinking back to a great 15 hour experience, not the tedium that drove me to give up on it.
Yeah, I don't think I finished a single playthrough, mostly because of that. Grind is a necessity if you want to make it to the farther regions and come back.

Nonetheless, I'm pretty stoked about Sunless Skies and will no doubt play it a lot once it comes out.
Sad to hear it isn't doing well, and when I saw only 43 reviews on the Steam store page, that was quite the "WTF?!" moment.

On the topic of the game, I can only echo the sentiment that Sunless Seas didn't really leave anybody lusting for more.
Kinda like the Banner Saga, they mistook the success of the game as demand for more of it.
I certainly wanted more, also played quite a lot of House Of Many Doors. And Sunless Sea has about 4.5k reviews, which is really not a bad number at all for such a small studio.
But it is very much possible that this is one of those concepts that have their core audience, which is not too big, while most others satisfied their interest with one entry of that particular genre.
And they are not wrong in their assumption that the Kickstarter campaign hurt the early access release.

Nowadays, it might be all but impossible to land a somewhat noticeable indie success without getting streamers involved. And I don't think that is a game for streamers (some games just aren't really fun to watch).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom