Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter All Walls Must Fall, a "tech-noir tactics game" set in a 2089 Berlin where the Cold War never ended

Severian Silk

Over a hundred years of Cold War? Don't the writers think that's a bit retarded?
1914 to 1989 is already nearly a century.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Over a hundred years of Cold War? Don't the writers think that's a bit retarded?
1914 to 1989 is already nearly a century.

Not a single Cold War lasted that long. They were all small Cold Wars that happened one after another in different places and lasted only a few years at a time. There's a reason why Cold Wars pretty much stopped altogether in the 90's, and it's because in todays economy everything is more global and dependant on other countries, so having a cold war is kinda disastrous for everyone involved.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
Usually, cold wars last as long as dictators stay in power/stay alive because those regimes always need a (virtual) enemy from outside to oppress the own population and to excuse corruption and inequality. If you study the statements of the current leaderships from Iran/NKorea/Venezuala/Russia, you'll find a very similar rhetoric: our country would be powerful, peaceful and wealthy but the evil West/USA is doing everything to prevent us from being great. No matter if Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Putin or Kim Jong Un: the methods are always the same and will probably never change.

Isaac Ashdown

inbetweengames
Developer
and have it all coherent and internally consistent

Of all the things we might be promising, you'll note that that particular one is not in the bullet-point list.

Somehow I suspect their Berlin 2089 society and culture will be basically identical to the 2016 one, just with lasers and robots.

Worth remembering the wall fell in 1989, 25+ years ago. But actually, you're not far off. I feel pretty strongly about using the setting that I get if I look out the window, as it's such a great resource to have. Too many developers set their game/movie in an awesome place and then just make it genericville, USA, or laser-n-robot land. But when I look out the window, I do think, this would be improved by lasers and robots.

boot

Prophet
No. It's a perfect metaphor. The walls are all the social shit that stands between people, and forces the human race to be divided. Racism, bigotry etc. Our heroes set out on a righteous journey to break down those walls, but in their arrogant, selfish need to do good, they are too blind to see the truth. They break down the walls and society falls apart too.
Now, as the very world they tried to make better is destroying itself, they finally realize that it can't be forced. Building pillars to hold the roofs takes time, and when they are finally built, the walls will crumble on their own. So they go back in time to stop themselves.
At this point you realize that during the whole game your enemies were you from the future, and that you are doomed to fail, because you already saw yourself fail. But you still try, because you are no longer driven by ego, but by a true, selfless desire to save the world.

sounds pretentious and gay. How old are you guys?

The gameplay seems focused on gimmicks. Games with huge emphasis on super special settings are usually duds. All the signs say abort run away do not spend moneys.

nil

Cipher
No. It's a perfect metaphor. The walls are all the social shit that stands between people, and forces the human race to be divided. Racism, bigotry etc. Our heroes set out on a righteous journey to break down those walls, but in their arrogant, selfish need to do good, they are too blind to see the truth. They break down the walls and society falls apart too.
Now, as the very world they tried to make better is destroying itself, they finally realize that it can't be forced. Building pillars to hold the roofs takes time, and when they are finally built, the walls will crumble on their own. So they go back in time to stop themselves.
At this point you realize that during the whole game your enemies were you from the future, and that you are doomed to fail, because you already saw yourself fail. But you still try, because you are no longer driven by ego, but by a true, selfless desire to save the world.

sounds pretentious and gay. How old are you guys?
you sound pretentious and gay

• Pausable real-time tactics with actions on the beat of the music
Can you say if this means that the music will be part of the gameplay, or it remains strictly part of the presentation?

Isaac Ashdown

inbetweengames
Developer
Can you say if this means that the music will be part of the gameplay, or it remains strictly part of the presentation?

The music is used to keep track of time, and actions have their duration measured in beats of the music. However, it would be more accurate to say that time is the element that's part of the gameplay, rather than the music itself.

That might be a bit too much of an anal programmer answer. Showing, rather than telling, is going to be our goal when getting this across to people, and while we've got a vision and prototypes and all that good stuff, what we don't have yet is actual music that we can use (as in, it's not yet licensed). We're expecting that to start to come through within the next few months, and then we'll be able to show what we're talking about.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:necro:

Hey, it's back...and on Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...ust-fall-a-tech-noir-tactics-game/description

e961aeb4561676b1db8e4eac8891d98a_original.jpg

The Cold War never ended. For 150 years both sides have used time manipulation technology to observe and counter each other’s every move. Now this fragile state of affairs is approaching a breaking point, as a rogue nuclear strike will send the world into turmoil. Both sides have scrambled to send agents back in time to find who is behind the attack and how to prevent it. If they fail, the whole world will turn to ash, forever.

24d8b988a569afe15eea9e58afdb3aad_original.gif

All Walls Must Fall is an isometric tactics game where actions happen to the pulsing beat of the music. You control time travelling secret agents as they jump and loop through a single night in the city of Berlin. Using a pausable real-time system, carefully plan your decisions and use powerful time manipulation abilities to your advantage, as you carry out your mission in the shadows or in plain sight. Levels are procedurally recombined using a bespoke system developed by inbetweengames, giving All Walls Must Fall a highly replayable campaign structure, while still offering individually crafted components and set-pieces.

All Walls Must Fall takes inspiration from genre classics like X-Com, Syndicate and REZ, as well more recent indie games like The Banner Saga, Braid, SUPERHOT and Crypt of the Necrodancer.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Sound, art design and setting all look fucking great. Aside from XCom, Syndicate and Rez I also get SR and Invisible Inc vibes from this. Not sold on the combat at all and the music beats element but it looks interesting enough that I might back this.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I can't be bothered to read about this in-depth, but do I get to play as future! DDR cyborg agents or the Cold War is merely a shitty gimmick to make pretentious points about the contemporary world?

I'd settle down even on Soviet space-traveling cyborg agents.

eadfb9ff06f7e10bfd3dcc14dec7b9b3_original.jpg

Hmmm.

The first one is somewhat promising.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Sounds like anti-Trump propaganda.

Weren't the developers German SJWs?

Just last week, I was thinking about the game but couldn't remember the name / find the thread.

15k seems a very low goal and I wonder if that's worth the hassle of a KS for "industry veterans".

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
So if I get this right, this is but pseudo-political propaganda by SJW hipsters who couldn't get a job?

Exactly what gaming needs these days :lol:

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Hey they started it!

An inclusive representation of the people of Berlin including their diverse cultural, sexual and gender identities

What do you think bullet point is if not an agenda for diversity propaganda?

Why need to highlight gender and sex in a fucking TACTICS game?

Back to prison with you Librul scum. I'm onto your misdirection attempt.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
What do you think bullet point is if not an agenda for diversity propaganda?

Have you ever been to Berlin or any other metropolis? Its just a description of what it looks like and what every other cyberpunk sprawl ever looked like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom