Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Murk

Arcane
Had not watched the cringe vid until now. I refuse to believe that is real. Just... damn.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Codex have a poor opinion of most Bioware games, quite rightly I'd say, so you can take anything said on here as the worst things you'll hear about a game. Most fanboys though that Inquisition was a return to form from DA2 and it looks fairly stable and the game though had it's flaws it only produced about a dozen or so memes you'll see repeated, while DA2 only had only a handfull of memes as well and they were both rated 85plus by the critics.

I think it'd be quite unpopular opinion, but Inqusition is simply polished DA2 in open world (kinda). truth is, DA2 in concept was no diffrent than ME2.
Both games shared the same development time and both were much diffrent from previous games (before EA). Story heavy based on characters, entirely new concept, more casual style, these two games are very similiar at the core.
I am sure DA2 would be as good received if they developed it enough. If it had ME2 variety of locations, stories and was as big world builder, it'd another game of the year.
But for some reason they decided to fuck it up. Now the tables have turned and it's Mass Effect that was fucked up for no reason, while Inqusition was GOTY.

If Bioware's cycle can be applied to games, then DA4 will be "good", DA5 will be a pile of shit and next Mass Effect will be GOTY.

Padzi

Arbiter

I will repeat what I said before. Trip to Andromeda was undertaken by undiagnosed mental patients. Yeah, let's go to another galaxy and kill each other. Who needs numbers anyway. Oh and let's grab all the gays and trannies, they will surely be helpful during colonization.

So these are all the romance options that are available for straight guys

zsGijamggde4oVH5tegVE6-650-80.jpg

cabhQg59v7rjNEo94ArUv5-650-80.jpg

bBgE4qgTrEihvPkcKy2ik5-650-80.jpg

mnYDHLk3yR8DYeKiVuRn5h-650-80.jpg

latest

Amusing that Bioware think the dudebros that buy their games are turned on by bestiality, dykes, blue/purple skinned chicks with tentacle heads and :prosper:faces.

In contrast the lesbian, by comparison, is the only mildly attractive looking female of the bunch.

I noticed they selected the butch looking chick to be the only one to be straight in cisquisition too. Hmm. If I were into femminazi conspiracies I would say they are trying to force feed strong wymin to their cishet male players'.

Bioware unconsciously made Scott Ryder a guy with a fetish for monster girls... Maybe except Cora? But I don't know where to put a tranny on that scale.

Meanwhile, EA's stock price's just 3 dollars shy of its all-time high from last week (March 15). If someone was hoping that one game flopping, even as spectacularly as Andromeda, can bury EA, then it's time to face the reality. They are too big to fail, and any possible change would have to happen from within the company (as in the boss finally asking themselves when was the last time they made a game that wasn't trash, getting butthurt over the answer and replacing whole BioWare with actual professionals).

FTGX0fo.png

I first thought that it was a good buy to wait till it dropped to 87-88 which it did a couple of days ago, but now I think that after the first weeks results it'll probably drop into 85-86 or more before bouncing back for a day at least.
I don't think anyone believed that Bioware's failure could harm EA on it's own they release, they are a multi billion dollar company with, about four huge sport releases every year, not to mention they have big franchises like Starwars now. Basically Bioware is one of their smaller divisions, so even if this game loses money it's not going to hurt EA that much, they'll just kill Bioware, which is all I could hope for.
Saying that many people think the EA stock is overvalued and it is due to lose quite a lot, so this poor release could be the start of that decline.

And your chart isn't very representative of what's currently happening now...

eaoneyear.jpg

eaonemonth.jpg

ealaunchday.jpg

Anyway like I say it's probably best to wait for the first weeks figures to see what effect this game has had, but you can already see that the memes stopped the stock rise in it's tracks.

Again as I said these game is pretty much a nothingburger for EA, but it could be the catalyst to make people re-evaluate the stock price of EA and send it back down, if that happens then the share holders might just see this game as cause and effect, call for heads at EA and EA will get will of Bioware.

It's not exactly killing the dragon but it is slaying their trans-dragon bastard stepchild...

q832da.jpg

Anyway the shares have currently lost three dollars since we started making memes on wednesday. They have 308,265,000 shares on the market so currently we've cost the company roughly $930hundred million dollars on their new release of a popular franchise game.

EDIT
Just looking at EA's revenue on that chart and you can see what a tiny drop in the ocean even ME3 was to them with a 200million gross after the first six months. As you can see their 2016 revenue was 4.4 billion dollars, which was the most likely reason for their huge surge this year. So for such a shitty insignificant game as this to stop their stocks rise dead in it's tracks and wipe over 3% off their price in less than a week is a pretty big win.

Last edited:

Enosh

Arcane
I had to watch the video twice to realize it's not from the Gamerpoop series. :lol:

That she does.
funny enough I've recently actually bothered to watch the hunger games and Katniss is probably one of the least mary sue female protagonist in recent memory, every thing she touches she fucks up and not even in the "lol so clumsy" way they usually try to mask a mary sue, just straight up fucks ups, she is only useful as a glorified propaganda poster and her final "I'm going to kill the big bad" mission ends in most of her friends getting killed and the death of her sister (trying to save her started the whole mess in the first place)

I was actually really surprised by that portrayal, it's a complete 180 of what i thought it's going to be

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Meanwhile, EA's stock price's just 3 dollars shy of its all-time high from last week (March 15). If someone was hoping that one game flopping, even as spectacularly as Andromeda, can bury EA, then it's time to face the reality. They are too big to fail, and any possible change would have to happen from within the company (as in the boss finally asking themselves when was the last time they made a game that wasn't trash, getting butthurt over the answer and replacing whole BioWare with actual professionals).

FTGX0fo.png

Well that shows that they were a lot better off in 2005 relatively speaking and that any fall will be more dependent on wider market forces as it was in 2008 and that games' success or failure has little correlation to stock price. Battlefield 1 released October 21st with shares at 82.87 and by November 1 they were down to 77.84 despite BF1 being a great success. Looking for the future of EA and its relation to its brands by only using stock market price and not taking into account other factors is a fools errand.

On the other hand, take a look at the start of the 2000's when all the Westwood's, Jane's, Origins, Bullfrog's etc were closed down. Share price skyrocketed! So if anything is to be learned is that closing down 'underperforming' studios is the way to go and getting rid of Bioware seems like an idea that set a happy precedent for EA many a time.

Codex have a poor opinion of most Bioware games, quite rightly I'd say, so you can take anything said on here as the worst things you'll hear about a game. Most fanboys though that Inquisition was a return to form from DA2 and it looks fairly stable and the game though had it's flaws it only produced about a dozen or so memes you'll see repeated, while DA2 only had only a handfull of memes as well and they were both rated 85plus by the critics.

I think it'd be quite unpopular opinion, but Inqusition is simply polished DA2 in open world (kinda). truth is, DA2 in concept was no diffrent than ME2.
Both games shared the same development time and both were much diffrent from previous games (before EA). Story heavy based on characters, entirely new concept, more casual style, these two games are very similiar at the core.
I am sure DA2 would be as good received if they developed it enough. If it had ME2 variety of locations, stories and was as big world builder, it'd another game of the year.
But for some reason they decided to fuck it up. Now the tables have turned and it's Mass Effect that was fucked up for no reason, while Inqusition was GOTY.

If Bioware's cycle can be applied to games, then DA4 will be "good", DA5 will be a pile of shit and next Mass Effect will be GOTY.

I think they only spent a year or so in develoment of DA2 and it shows, the empty cities and bad models are awful, the combat is bad because it was seemingly as quickly designed as it could be to meet deadlines with drop in enimies, not to mention the awesome button animations, super powers and JRPG style weapons. Then you had the copy paste dungeons with grayed out areas they were too lazy to remove from the minimap. A lot of the characters were terrible and a cringefest, but that's Bioware and the writing was mainly awful including the retcons of the quirky mage fellow from Awakenings into a Emo queer, and the Muslim Kaliban fellows. And the last part was really rushed and made no sense.

I do though kind of agree that it could have been semi-decent and better than origins if they had more time time to develop it, I liked the more direct focused story, the fact you weren't a chosen one, the chapter structure with time passage and Varricks unreliable narration giving your sister big tits.

If they had spent a few years on it changed the combat, included some RPG mechanics and written a better script and characters, it could have been a playable throwaway ARPG like Mass Effect which is engaging enough when you play it but gets worse the more you think about it. As it is it wasn't so bad it's funny like this game is, DA2 was so bad it was insulting, like you'd ordered a meal in an expensive resteraunt and been served up a microwave dinner in it's plastic container. And when you raised an objection all the waiting staff, the manager and the restaraunt critics that had recommended the place called you sexist and entitled because there was a woman working in the kitchen at the time.

Last edited:
the combat is bad because it was seemingly as quickly designed as it could be to meet deadlines with drop in enimies

Funny thing is, I remember most reviewers praising the new exciting combat formula that pushes you to reposition your spell casters and change tactics on the fly, all because of enemies spawning from thin air.

GrainWetski

Arcane
the combat is bad because it was seemingly as quickly designed as it could be to meet deadlines with drop in enimies

Funny thing is, I remember most reviewers praising the new exciting combat formula that pushes you to reposition your spell casters and change tactics on the fly, all because of enemies spawning from thin air.
The PC Gamer review of DA2 is hilarious(ly sad).

Loren Silvercloak

Barely Literate
Hi i am new to the codex, i follow the site and forums for some time and after the recent clusterfuck that is MEA i am here to get over my butthurt over the death of bioware even if that hapent a long time a go and just now realise it.

So to the question what went wrong with ME and bioware in general a found a video that sum up in nice way the reasons so i thought to post it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kh5CcMp3RmE i know it's not something new and some plp have already made the same arguments in here but that video is a year old, i mean i guess most of us knew what would happen to the studio after the bought from EA but after the release of this mess of a game this just confirms it, i know that the studio wasn't popular in the codex especially the years after EA got them but it's still a sad thing that the old bioware is all but gone.

Another thing that i like to point is that most reviews even the most generous ones still talk about the problems this game has(saw this http://www.insomnia.gr/topic/462525-mass-effect-andromeda/page-46
page-46
in some other site just scroll to the bottom of the page and you will see it) and still gave it a high score, my guess is that either the didn't mind and still had fun or that the did't want to piss EA with a low score and lose revenue from there ads but still criticized the game in fear in loosing readers but not point out obvious flaws.

That's game reviews for you they praise dumbed down shit mechanics, writing and systems, Then call older, more well designed challenging game mechanics detailed writing and systems boring and dull, because they aren't selling old games and can shit on them while shilling the latest release for game companies, all the while the reviews pretend to be dude bro gamers...

..."Those old games were so dull and confusing right guys? You can just jump into this latest release and start collar grabbing, punching shit and fucking lizards right away. Who want's a challenge in 2017 guys? We just want awesome action, we're not in the 90's anymore urgh! Why would you spend hours thinking about your stats, dialogue choices, equiment and roleplaying right? That's just busywork. When you can play as the iconic Commander Shepherd, Hawke or Pathfinder with their special limited armours, weapons, powers and kick ass dialouges."

Basically the gaming media are such transparent shills they look like this to me...

VAeA885.jpg

Monkeysattva

Cipher
I think they only spent a year or so in develoment of DA2 and it shows, the empty cities and bad models are awful, the combat is bad because it was seemingly as quickly designed as it could be to meet deadlines with drop in enimies, not to mention the awesome button animations, super powers and JRPG style weapons. Then you had the copy paste dungeons with grayed out areas they were too lazy to remove from the minimap. A lot of the characters were terrible and a cringefest, but that's Bioware and the writing was mainly awful including the retcons of the quirky mage fellow from Awakenings into a Emo queer, and the Muslim Kaliban fellows. And the last part was really rushed and made no sense.

I do though kind of agree that it could have been semi-decent and better than origins if they had more time time to develop it, I liked the more direct focused story, the fact you weren't a chosen one, the chapter structure with time passage and Varricks unreliable narration giving your sister big tits.

If they had spent a few years on it changed the combat, included some RPG mechanics and written a better script and characters, it could have been a playable throwaway ARPG like Mass Effect which is engaging enough when you play it but gets worse the more you think about it. As it is it wasn't so bad it's funny like this game is, DA2 was so bad it was insulting, like you'd ordered a meal in an expensive resteraunt and been served up a microwave dinner in it's plastic container. And when you raised an objection all the waiting staff, the manager and the restaraunt critics that had recommended the place called you sexist and entitled because there was a woman working in the kitchen at the time.

Yeah, but compared to Inquistion? Dragon Age 2 was a obviously shitty game. Inquisition was a malevolent abortion that tried to choke you to death. DA2 had a big tittied pirate slut (and a gay sociopath, but that's beside the point) - but compared to the elven lesbian lunatic and the "ride the bull" bullshit, it comes of as Shakespeare.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I doubt it will sell enough to be profitable, but don't expect that nobody will buy it just because bad reviews.

Maybe it's a bad RPG, but it's the only 3D alien-fucking simulator on the market. It's not like the perverts can save their money until a competitor with better alien pillow talk comes along and gets 9/10 reviews.

And then there's a lot of people who really thought that ME3 was a masterpiece. Maybe they're a casual who has never played a game with good writing. Maybe they're so easily manipulated that they were convinced the ending was beyond mortal comprehension. Or maybe they're just retarded. Who knows? But those people do exist, and most will buy ME:A even if they don't have high expectations for it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom