Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect BioWare Montreal's Mass Effect: Andromeda - where element zero meets trisomy 21

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
CpH3WtHWEAAABDS.jpg

Reminder that a percent of each purchase funds Cuckoware devs.

So, it begins.
:troll:

And it keeps getting worse, currently it's down to 3.9 on the PS4 and at 3.6 on the Xbox and the Xbox accounted for 70% of all sales in the ME franchise...

And it still will top the sale charts :dance:

Just looking at a couple of sales figures it was said ME3 sold 3.5 m units by the end of it's launch month, with 890k first day sales. EA later that year gave Q4 sales figures of $200 million gross, by then they had probably sold a shitload more copies.

Right now that $200 million figure is gross so you can deduct overheads costs and also the cut of sales that the vendor takes. So that will wipe off 30-50%, so mass effect 3 probably netted between $100-160million by the end of Q4.

Now Andromeda cost $40 million to develop at least, with another (conservative estimate) $20- $40 million in marketing. So the game has to make $60-$80 million minimum to get it out of the red, that means it needs to sell at least half as many copies of the game as ME3 did, before it even makes any money. Does anyone here expect that to happen? Keep an eye on the first day and sales figures on about 10th april for a comparison. If this game dosen't shift 600kplus units on day one, it's fucked, because the sales figures will drop off worse than DA2's did after the first week, because it after the pre-order nonsense and day one purchases.

So Andromeda was cheaper to develop than Wiedźmin 3?

Selling half of mass effect 3 is feasible, even inquisition did more than that

The development numbers are just the lowest ones I've heard banded about, I first heard a figure of 62 million a few days ago but I guys that might be leaf dollars. To be honest that figure of 40 million seems really low to me for a game that took hundreds of people in Canada 5 years to develop and does that also include engine licensces and porting costs. As you say the Witcher 3 cost more at 46 million and that was developed in Poland at what are bound to be much lower staffing and overhead costs, plus they had their own engine for the game and took I think a year less in development. Also for comparison with a Canadian game watch dogs, also made in Canada cost 68 million dollars to make and I'm sure that spent less time in development.

Don't forget as well that Bioware's budget management is shit and it cost them 200million to develop TORtanic. I have serious reservations over the truth of the 40million figure. Probably damage control by EA to release that figure, so their shareholders don't go mental.

I'm just guessing the marketing budget, but I'm sure, I'm being conservative at 20-40 million, but then again I don't know the extent of the ads they've run for the game, to me it dosen't seem like they've run a campaign on anywhere near the scale of ME3, but then I'm not sure, again in comparison Witcher 3 spent 35 million on advertising, while heavy rain 32million and way up at the top end of the scale COD2 spent 200million.

As for selling half of what ME3 sold I think they would be damn lucky DA2 (which was a smaller franchise) sold 700k in the first week and then died here's a chart that compares it to Origins and dosen't include the PC...
DA2DAO-2.jpg

This game is on the same par if not worse than DA2 quality and has far more memes and people trashing it, with worse review scores. So expect to see the same pattern of sales as here. So if MEA sells 1million in the first week(which is a real stretch) It'll sell 2 million over 10 weeks, in contrast ME3 sold 3.5million in 2 and a half weeks. And even if mass effect 3 followed the same shitty sales drop off we see here based on DA2 figures from 2half weeks (which is really doubtfull) for the next few weks it would have shifted at least 4.3 million copies in the first 10 weeks.

So that will mean that MEA will be in the red based on the most conservative estimate of costs.

Anyway whatever it'll all come out in the wash, I can't say I'm not excited though to see Bioware crash and burn and look foreward to the salty tears of the Biodrones for many months to come.

Biodronesbtfo.jpg

Tick Tock Crocodile

Is there a way to see the number of times each button has been used in a thread? I would like a hopw roewur ne count.

salaciousbcrumb what are you disagreeing about?

That it will sell half as many copies at ME3.
I never played Inquisition but as far as I was aware it only had shit quests and derp characters, besides it had favorable reviews, was awarded a few titles and was quite well marketed, this on the other hand was wrecked even by video game critics.
Now I understand that Dragon age is a smaller franchise yet still Inqusition wasn't getting trashed at all like this, even some of the Biodrones admit it's shit and some are even (shock horror) cancelling their orders.

sullynathan

Arcane

I never played Inquisition but as far as I was aware it only had shit quests and derp characters, besides it had favorable reviews, was awarded a few titles and was quite well marketed, this on the other hand was wrecked even by video game critics.
Now I understand that Dragon age is a smaller franchise yet still Inqusition wasn't getting trashed at all like this, even some of the Biodrones admit it's shit and some are even (shock horror) cancelling their orders.
I never played Inquisition either but Codexers are saying that Andromeda is Inquisition in space. 2014 wasn't a good year for AAA so Inquisition was received favorably but now everyone thinks it sucks.

EtcEtcEtc

Savant

I don't see that happening. I bought Mass Effect 3 on console back when it came out, and when the ending bomb went off, the resale value plummeted (I sell pretty much any console game after beating). I sold it shortly after launch, and it sold for $20 - most of the time you can sell a game for $40 or more if it's early in the launch window. Word of mouth spread quick on Mass Effect 3, and people were dumping it like crazy. Between that and DA II (which, despite paid shill reviews, is now pretty much universally recognized as trash) I think Bioware burned a lot of consumers, even more casual ones that these games sell to.

Inquisition was supposed to be what righted the ship, but (and this is based on anecdotal evidence) it seems like public perception has turned on it as well. I think Witcher 3 coming out so soon after really took any shine it might have had away.

Long story short, pretty sure Bioware is entirely on the ropes, and this game is going to prove to be a tipping point for them - if even the propaganda wing of the game world are shitting on it, they have lost all clout. Just wait until some journo rips Andromeda a new one for some perceived Social Justice slight - be it for clicks, or because they eat their own.

I'd be willing to bet EA kills them off in the next few years.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I never played Inquisition either but Codexers are saying that Andromeda is Inquisition in space. 2014 wasn't a good year for AAA so Inquisition was received favorably but now everyone thinks it sucks.

Inqusition is RPG with down syndrome. Andromeda is Inqusition with down syndrome. That's all you need to know.
And it was received favorably among MMO lovers and Biodrones. True players hated that abomintion since start.

Inquisition sold 1.1 plus million in it's first week so basically if you think it sold about half of ME3 then my figures are right. This was up from the 700k of DA2. As I say this game is far more likely to have a similar dip in sales to the equally poor and disparaged DA2, after the first week, so if it dosen't open it's first week with 1million plus in sales it's in the red.

Codex have a poor opinion of most Bioware games, quite rightly I'd say, so you can take anything said on here as the worst things you'll hear about a game. Most fanboys though that Inquisition was a return to form from DA2 and it looks fairly stable and the game though had it's flaws it only produced about a dozen or so memes you'll see repeated, while DA2 only had only a handfull of memes as well and they were both rated 85plus by the critics. This game on the other hand is rated at 75plus is a buggy mess and looks like it was made by a lunatic modder. It's a meme a minute shitfest. Where you can pull up any part of any lets play video and take the piss out of it.

The closest I've ever seen to this level of goofy laugh a minute shit, was a V thread a few years ago doing a playthrough of a fan made KOTOR2 mod expansion, with new characters which had some real funny dialouge* though even that wasn't on the level of Mass effect Andromeda.

* I can't seem to find the mod now but it had some tryhard edgy guy on your team who refered to himself as a master manipulator. And some other chick that was supposed to be a human looking andriod called one of those andriod names like P-45.

Santander02

Arcane
So Andromeda was cheaper to develop than Wiedźmin 3?

Twitcher 3's 80 million budget is including marketing, and that usually costs as much, and frequently more, than the game's development cost, I doubt EA spent some measly 20 million trying to push out trailers and parties to promote this MEAdo.

Last edited:

Freddie

Savant
It was verified that Bioware often sends its own employees to post positive reviews in many game sites, so I wouldn't be surprised if this is repeated with MEA. "Nothing like it in the market"... I mean, yeah, appreciation of graphics and shit is mostly subjective, but that's a lie, I don't know if I could keep a straight face while saying that.
It isn't just employees. The customer reviews and social media was seen as problem that needed tweaking years ago and agencies offered a solution. I don't know what it's called today, or even remember what it was called exactly years ago, but it works like you purchase a package from an ad/pr agency. Package can include favourable blog posts, social media commentary, reviews on customer sites and forums (yes, some apologists aren't actually trolling, they are working). Package can be bought to 'make people more aware' of your product or brand.

Aderticing / PR agency doesn't handle this by themselves but outsource it. They hire smaller firms manage the employing the 'social media consultants / assistants' or whatever name they use at these days. If you have deep enough pockets, campaign can be global and there sure as hell won't be any engrish in customer reviews posted to various places. These guys are pro's and they hire pro's.

What comes to employees, in BW's case it appears to come from the EA. I recall even ME series lead producer, Casey Hudson advertising some damn awful spin off novel in social media, and it back fired terribly. Employees may get bonus, or most likely pat on the back, everybody wants to be a good team player right? Anyway, it's nothing compared to what happens on commercial side of social media influence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom