Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

StarCraft: Remastered

Could everyone in the thread who trusts Blizzard to make balance adjustments for SCBW raise their hand? Then please use said hand to cover their face until their breathing subsides.

default strategy vs zerg, although mech vs zerg is also perfectly valid and has even been used in the current running tournament
against protoss or terran making any marine or medic is suicide unless your opponent is also as dumb as you are

welcome to asymmetric balance, stay ez

Last edited:
We'll wait and see what a remaster actually entails. Worst case scenario is SC2 reskin, best case scenario is SC2 reskin with unit selection limit of 12.

I can't ever imagine they'd increase the aspect ratio/resolution of the 2d game and redo the sprites to be in higher resolution with better special effects.

ArchAngel

Arcane
We'll wait and see what a remaster actually entails. Worst case scenario is SC2 reskin, best case scenario is SC2 reskin with unit selection limit of 12.

I can't ever imagine they'd increase the aspect ratio/resolution of the 2d game and redo the sprites to be in higher resolution with better special effects.
I am hoping they do and that they also modernize the UI (and leave classic version of UI for BW grogs and korean pros)

ArchAngel

Arcane
What would modernising the UI even mean?

Getting rid of clickable buttons? I mean if you actually click on icons and don't use hotkeys you probably deserve to die tbh. :)
For me that would be Rebindable hotkeys, Multiple building selection, automining, unlimited unit selection, maybe even smartcasting. Also better observer tools more similar to sc2.

Lagi

Savant
For me that would be Rebindable hotkeys, Multiple building selection, automining, unlimited unit selection, maybe even smartcasting. Also better observer tools more similar to sc2.
Multiple building selection => bind multiple barracks under single number, pressing number will toggle between buildings [ to replenish recruit queue].
automining => new worker go harvest with rally point? I hope its obvious QoL :)
smartcasting => would be handy (for me at least) if among multiple selected casters, only one launch the skill. [f.ex. selected 10 BCruisers, only one of BC will fire Yamato, if group ordered to do so]

I would also welcome more starting workers [ that auto go mining nearest minerals] and more stating minerals. To start game with immediate building construction like in warcraft 3. But it will wreck all the "awesome" tactics with workers scouting.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Multiple building selection => bind multiple barracks under single number, pressing number will toggle between buildings [ to replenish recruit queue].
automining => new worker go harvest with rally point? I hope its obvious QoL :)
smartcasting => would be handy (for me at least) if among multiple selected casters, only one launch the skill. [f.ex. selected 10 BCruisers, only one of BC will fire Yamato, if group ordered to do so]

I would also welcome more starting workers [ that auto go mining nearest minerals] and more stating minerals. To start game with immediate building construction like in warcraft 3. But it will wreck all the "awesome" tactics with workers scouting.
Smartcasting makes it so not only one does it but closest one with enough energy does it. I could live without smartcasting since BW spells are more powerful and game is slower than Sc2 so it is a bit easier even for average players to do manual casting.

But MBS and automining, I don't see the point of this BW re release if at least these two things are not implemented. They might as well not bother making an HD version and leave the current game for BW grogs that don't play it anyways but only watch Korean pros play it.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
These changes would completely break the game. Even putting the resolution in widescreen instead of 4:3 would dramatically change how the game is played, since you can see more. The only change I'd accept would be auto-mining with rally points.
There's a reason why pros still play this game to this day and why SC2 has declined so fast.

ArchAngel

Arcane
These changes would completely break the game. Even putting the resolution in widescreen instead of 4:3 would dramatically change how the game is played, since you can see more. The only change I'd accept would be auto-mining with rally points.
There's a reason why pros still play this game to this day and why SC2 has declined so fast.
The reason is not a new better UI, the reason is SC2 factions and units and speed of game sucks ass and people don't enjoy that.
Nobody ever who never played BW quit Sc2 because they could select too many units or buildings at the same time LOL

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
UI plays a lot into why SC2 is far less exciting to watch and play, in addition to constant balance changes and stupid decisions at times. You see BW's UI as archaic and limited, and yes it is, but it also plays a huge factor in how the game is played, more than you are willing to acknowledge it seems. BW requires a fine balance between army and base management, everyone knows this. With 12 units maximum per selection you need to carefully move each unit group and plan your army composition accordingly. Big troop movement requires a bit of work. You just don't move a 150 supply army like that. 1 building per selection also forces you to manage your macro skills efficiently and have you jump between army, observation and production very quickly.

SC2 on the other hand is one army death ball group, sometimes two for spellcasters, and groups of 6-7 production buildings where you can train units super quickly without ever having to look at your base. So exciting. :M

ArchAngel

Arcane
UI plays a lot into why SC2 is far less exciting to watch and play, in addition to constant balance changes and stupid decisions at times. You see BW's UI as archaic and limited, and yes it is, but it also plays a huge factor in how the game is played, more than you are willing to acknowledge it seems. BW requires a fine balance between army and base management, everyone knows this. With 12 units maximum per selection you need to carefully move each unit group and plan your army composition accordingly. Big troop movement requires a bit of work. You just don't move a 150 supply army like that. 1 building per selection also forces you to manage your macro skills efficiently and have you jump between army, observation and production very quickly.

SC2 on the other hand is one army death ball group, sometimes two for spellcasters, and groups of 6-7 production buildings where you can train units super quickly without ever having to look at your base. So exciting. :M
Sc2 big deathballs have nothing to do with unlimited selection but with new pathfinding that lets you easily move like that. Also with resources being collected faster and all players getting to higher supply numbers faster.
Since BW does not have those two problems, unlimited selection while making the game easier to play (and that is the point why I want it because I think this is a bad way to make the game harder) does not influence its gameplay that much. It mostly influences the top level players, lets people master the game just a bit more than those below them. But for most of the world that is not important and Blizzard will want to sell this game to most of the world, not 50 Korean pros.

DramaticPopcorn

Sc2 big deathballs have nothing to do with unlimited selection but with new pathfinding that lets you easily move like that. Also with resources being collected faster and all players getting to higher supply numbers faster.
That's actually complete bullshit. Deathballs exist precisely because of unlimited selection and easily exploitable move-attack mechanics.

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
By deathball I mean a single army group, when you'd need 4 or 5 groups in BW. Moving armies in both games is extremely different even without taking pathfinding in consideration. It's just far easier in SC2 and thus requires less effort. People used 1a2a3a jokingly for army attacks, but in SC2 you just need 1a. I don't see unlimited selection as a pro and it makes the game super boring to me and far less impressive to watch. Also right now there are quite a lot of viewers for BW in Korea, with three recent and very successful BW tournaments broadcasted on AfreecaTV.

You were also saying that no one would go from SC2 to BW, but SoulKey ditched SC2 (and his very successful career) to play BW instead and is an absolute beast at the moment, managing to beat the best BW players.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom