Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Top 3 Worst Major Releases

Vote for up to 3 games that you consider to be the worst ones released.

• Total voters

roshan

Arcane
It seems that our greatest joys the past few years have been small budget titles from indie developers such as Underrail, Battle Brothers and Age of Decadence.

I thought I'd ask, out of the various major releases by the big studios (Obsidian, Larian, HBS, InXile) which have been the worst or most disappointing? You can select up to 3 responses.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
To be honest I was more disappointed by Underrail after all the hype it got in here than any of these games..

In any case I voted Tyranny,TTON and SR as they were the weakest on release in comparison with the expectations for them

To be honest I was more disappointed by Underrail after all the hype it got in here than any of these games..

In any case I voted Tyranny,TTON and SR as they were the weakest on release in comparison with the expectations for them

My sentiments exactly. If was able to hit the Agree button for you, old chap, I most certainly would !

B0rt

Novice
there's more "meh" here then terrible. I suppose if the general ennui from playing a "meh" game makes a person just sort of wander off after 12 hours in then that's almost worse than bouncing right off something 100% awful, though.

Must admit to liking the 2nd Shadowrun, gets a "B" at least, and D:OS when played with a buddy & treated as a general asshole simulator, that's actually kind of awesome. idk if Larian stuff even really belongs grouped with titles like these. Even if their games might get grouped into the same steam queue they really feel extremely tonally different to me, the whole conceptual focus more geared towards "create a world where players can explode the vases" and then build something on top of that. At least that's the conceit.

^^Underrail is somewhat niche and requires speedhack to be seriously playable, it's amazing that so many are so patient with it. But there's actually a great fun game with combat/loadout/char build puzzles once you claw your way into it, *if* you like that sort of thing. Playing Underrail is the CRPG equivalent of eating an igloo; tough, unsatisfying exterior with a warm and chewy center. A delicacy, just not for all tastes.

the_shadow

Arcane
I think the reason most people are so disappointed with Pillars of Eternity is only because it claimed to be the spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. It's a fantastic stand-alone RPG. Developers should promote their game on its own merits, instead of trying to live in the shadow of past games.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Tyranny had boring enough everything already from the outset that I haven't been able to bring myself to even try it yet. So that.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Title needs to be:
Top 3 Worst Most Disappointing Releases In the last Four years

Shadowrun Returns - Far too linear, but still enjoyed it. Opinion of Harebrained changed after Dragonfall/HK however, much respect.
Tyranny - Stale universe, not as fleshed out as PoE. Far too easy. Forgettable characters. Simplified combat. Poor customisation. Clearly rushed.
Numenera - While Wasteland 2 was heavy on combat, Numenera is basically its polar opposite - heavy on narrative, to the point where you rarely feel engaged. The devs at inXile are unable to capture the concept of balance. Very lacklustre.

Last edited:

Drowed

Arcane
Title needs to be:
Top 3 Worst Most Disappointing Releases In the last Four years

Shadowrun Returns - Far too linear, but still enjoyed it. Opinion of Harebrained changed after Dragonfall/HK however, much respect.
Tyranny - Stale universe, not as fleshed out as PoE. Far too easy. Forgettable characters. Simplified combat. Poor customisation. Clearly rushed.
Numenera - While Wasteland 2 was heavy on combat, Numenera is basically its polar opposite - heavy on narrative, to the point where you rarely feel engaged. The devs at inXile are unable to capture the concept of balance. Very lacklustre.

All of this, basically that's what I was going to say.

I would just add that Tyranny doesn't seem to be just rushed, but also with too much content cut (it looks like 3/5 of the game it was going to be), and that Torment ends up being a bore to read, with the impression that they lengthened the text just to have a lot of text rather than descriptions that have a clear and real purpose - and that's not counting the redundancy of describing what you can see on the screen.

Even so, I would say they were disappointing but not terrible.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Sykars list is about there imo. Choose any of the following for me:
Oblivion
Skyrim
Fallout 4
ME2
ME3
DA:2
DA:I

My 3 would be DA:I, DA:2, ME3

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Torment was the only one that I didn't even want to force myself to finish, which is funny considering it was the only one I backed.
Tyranny felt like a training project for interns. It was strangely unambitious considering they had free reign with the new IP and were allowed to do a shorter game with more C&C.
Shadorun Returns was just too short and linear, but at least the studio learned something and significantly improved stuff in Dragonfall and Hong Kong.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Tyranny felt like a training project for interns.

Oh, god yes. That is the OPing feeling you get.

Excerpt from my write-up:

And really, the writing isn't all that great. It's good, but certainly not on the level of Mask of the Betrayer. Srsly, compare the dialogue and characterizations in that link! MotB is fucking amazing in this respect. At times, Tyranny's writing feels rushed and even amateurish; f.e, some of it doesn't hit the mark or conclude satisfyingly, and it is blatantly obvious to me that the writer does not have enough life experience to write certain characters; that is, the ones that aren't the cookie cutters that even hacks recycle on a regular basis. Plus, some of the vocab employed is not entirely appropriate, and the quests rely too heavily on journal entries for clarity on the situation.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Excerpt from my write-up:

writing isn't all that great.

Srsly,

f.e

not have enough life experience

So you're a critic with enough life experience, eh

Well, tell me more. Go right ahead, I know you want to talk extensively ; however before you make your point and before I listen intently to what you have to say, I will have to pick my nose. Here I go. I'm picking my nose. I'll be done any minute now. Any minute. You'll finally be able to say what you want. It's coming off. Yeah

Sykar

Arcane
Sykars list is about there imo. Choose any of the following for me:
Oblivion
Skyrim
Fallout 4
ME2
ME3
DA:2
DA:I

My 3 would be DA:I, DA:2, ME3

My list would be:

Oblivion
Oblivion with guns, aka Fallout 3
Mass Effect : Andromeda

Honorable mention: Dragon Age 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom