Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Sacred Fire, a psychological RPG set in ancient Caledonia, now on Kickstarter

Also I rembered funny thing - I read some article about Communistic and Marxistic theories, about labor, work etc.
And there was mentioned very curious fact - antropologists make a discovery, that aborigenes of that refion where aztecs lives, maybe Brazilian region, so their attitude to work is different form modern european, and modern man from so called civilazed states - while we often have feeling "I dream that work week is over quickly" or "when I can go home at last, it is unbearable", those aborigines don'n feel like that, thay doesn't consider labor as something undesirable but necessary activity.
Author made the assumption that wage labour/wage labore/wage work made these changes.

Yes, that's pretty much Marx on the alienation of the worker from the product. Making something for yourself vs. making something that's unrelated to you for confetti paper you can exchange for goods and services.

Also, in relation with what's been said here, Anthropology is the science of bullshit, the art of coming up with something better men from actual fields of knowledge came up with before and making it look new and revolutionary. I've never met an anthropologist that wasn't full of shit.

And walls are awesome.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
That' pretty obvious
It isn't, before I rad that I always - not thought, because I never thought about that but - assumed that it is normal reaction.

I even doubt it will ever happen.
It will happen, and it has a name - The Second Coming.

Anyway I wrote it just to illustrate how different can be people form the past from modern us.

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Cultural anthropology is bizarre/retarded crap, mostly made up for SJW purposes. Like some study tried to say that an african tribe had no sense of vertain colors because they had no words for them :lol: Turns out they are all just genetically collor blind. I mean obviously there's a million tribes why would this ONE not have a word for certain colors, except they can't see them? :lol:

I heard of studies that color blindness is actually an adaptation to desert conditions, so this makes perfect sense, and I can attest that color blind people can have very good eyesight. I rode several with a color blind guy in Spain and he was a truly excellent driver.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
Cultural anthropology is bizarre/retarded crap, mostly made up for SJW purposes. Like some study tried to say that an african tribe had no sense of vertain colors because they had no words for them :lol: Turns out they are all just genetically collor blind. I mean obviously there's a million tribes why would this ONE not have a word for certain colors, except they can't see them? :lol:

I heard of studies that color blindness is actually an adaptation to desert conditions, so this makes perfect sense, and I can attest that color blind people can have very good eyesight. I rode several with a color blind guy in Spain and he was a truly excellent driver.

It is weird because I am partially colorblind, but I also have a very good range of colors. I can still distinguish a few colors in a narrow range but it's hard.

Turns out that I must have three cones in my eyes while most people have two and some just one, which also affects your favorite color which is why mine has always been green.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

It is weird because I am partially colorblind, but I also have a very good range of colors. I can still distinguish a few colors in a narrow range but it's hard.

Turns out that I must have three cones in my eyes while most people have two and some just one, which also affects your favorite color which is why mine has always been green.

It's probably a gene imported from Africa, and adapted to very different conditions. No big deal, it may be an incomplete adaptation that has advantages under the right conditions.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter

It's probably a gene imported from Africa, and adapted to very different conditions. No big deal, it may be an incomplete adaptation that has advantages under the right conditions.

It's probably to do with me having low grade ADD. There's different levels of color blindness, mine is miniscule.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
I'm not sure what to make of the 'cinematic' combat. Is it static or is it fully animated and highly detailed battle simulation? I don't think I've ever seen this concept tried before in an rpg. Sort of the melee combat equivalent of bullet time. I sort of like the psych-state gamism but it's that idea that really appeals to me: realistic simulated sword/axe/mace/club swinging and impacts, but also turn based. All of the turn based decisions could then be replayed as a movie at the end like a sort of instant replay of the entire battle.

It's easier shown than explained, please see the developer's docummentary, starting from 7:15 the turn-based combat is demonstrated:

The idea of instant reply of the entire battle is cool. We will keep it in our idea box, thank you.

sstacks

Arcane
Hey there, I am the guy making Sacred Fire. Thank you Infinitron for the write up. Sacred Fire is not an easy game to introduce, as it's true value and design focus is to provide a new role-playing experience, and you have done a good job.

This 29s short defines our 4 elements of gameplay at a quick glance:

And here is an in-depth look at what kind of role-playing experience the game offers:

The campaign is off to a good start, with 20% raised in the first 24 hours and 200 early backer rewards gone. But we are not out of the woods yet.

If you like the RPG experience we are after, please help us make this a reality and pledge now.

Thank you.

poetic I'm intrigued by what I see and I'm supporting your KS. I think you'll make it as your ask is modest.

I'll also make your KS a news item on my March 25th show.

Don't feel defensive about having a "different" game, it's a strength play to it :D

sstacks

Arcane
From the Sacred Fire website:

“Can’t wait to check it out.”
—Chris Avellone, Torment

“Very cool looking game.”
—Arnie Jorgensen, Banner Saga

“Happy to help out on this!”
—Doug Cockle, the voice of The Witcher

“A truly narrative game.”
—David Dunham, King of Dragon Pass

“Intriguing and well polished.”
—Vince Weller, Age of Decadence

poetic

Poetic
Developer
Stopped reading there; ;) developers should play Nethergate to see that both ancient Romans and Celts did not lived according to (post) Christian guilt based but rather honor/shame culture. So your warrior band should strife to gain prestige among their family/clan/tribe and honor and loot on battlefield instead of feeling emotions introduced fully by XVIc puritans. As to hair color in fistst century AD there were no Irish Gaels in Alba/Caledonia/Scotland and some ancient authors claim the Picts were dark haired same as Spain descending Silurians were while other claim them to be gingers. Roman/Greek authors often chosen licencia poetica to make their barbarians more awesome and there were so many invasion waves since then that you can't say for sure which one was closer to truth. +M

Game has some potential but it can turn out to be some SJW white guilt based shit too so will wait to back it up.

I come in peace :) My job with this post here is not to change someone's worldview or say mine is better, just to explain what the game is and what it isn't, so you can make an educated decision, weather to support in on Kickstarter or not.

You mention licencia poetica used by Roman writers. Sacred Fire is developed by poetic studio. We chose that name to position ourselves, that this is how Sacred Fire is to be taken: we do not try to describe historic facts, we aspire to evoke an image, convey a feeling, explore a theme in new ways.

I did play Jeff's Nethergate, admittedly for a very short time, as the graphics were a brutal onslaught on my hi-res sensitivities AND renown and respect is all over the Kickstarter pitch for Sacred Fire. By the way, I enjoyed Valhalla Rising. The ending is beautiful to me, when he chooses to die to make the boy survive. It's open to many interpretations and it would derail this thread so much more. Just saying that I find beauty also in the human condition, not only in culture. So of course I get, they lived in a honor culture and it's represented in Sacred Fire. Search the pitch page: renown is mentioned 3x, respect 1x, guilt 1x. Renown is implemented in the game rules, the story, the user interface in Sacred Fire. Please watch the developer's commentary. Every time you do something cool, there is a floating number saying +1 renown / +1 respect. Renown is for doing something noteworthy and respect if for being dangerous, cunning, though, unyielding, direct.

To address the Social Justice Warrior white guilt shit: just to confirm we mean the same thing: "a SJW does not necessarily strongly believe all that they say, or even care about the groups they are fighting on behalf of." How is that applicable to me? I have spent years creating a ruleset that I strongly believe in. I presented it in no unclear terms. I am not changing my beliefs or writing principles just because, someone says:

There is nothing universal. Some African tribes dont understand concept of time (it is always "today" for them), others cant count (because why bother). There are still a lot of marginal... how to put it best... collective states of mind, probably. Belief that there is something universal is a quasi-monotheist belief. Of course, monotheists 100% sure they got it right (this was motivation for this, for example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations). But... Even if we entertain the notion that some proto-monotheist ethics could indeed be there at that time, at least give option to be genuine pagan and dismiss all these considerations (guilt, goodness, envy) as not worth attention, and allow to promote such virtues as physical strength, power, wealth as self-sufficient. If were able to turn Etain away from murder path, I dont see reason why we cant convince Clair that altruism is dumb.

yet stating just moments before

I wasn't talking just about saving as Christian ethics, but if you actually read KS pitch, there is fight against Christian sins, presented as core part of gameplay and storytelling. Pagans did "good", "evil" and "ying-yang" things alike. They just "did things", to quote Joker. As it looks from presentation at the moment, there are only two paths - humanist and violent anti-authoritarian. But I'd rather be violent authoritarian in this setting, loot, rape and pillage. Not because I'm maniac, but because practically no games do that angle, and Pagan setting is perfect for that. But still, we're offered choice between communism and liberalism even here.

So there are concerns about a game system, that operates under the assumption that self-control is good, and jumping to conclusions that this will lead to crimes on innocent children, because I used the word universal. Yet the proposed alternative is to make a game promoting rape, and power as a virtue. As if a world where the strong just 'do things', because they can, is so much safer for children. The safety of real children is not the concern, painting someone's game into the 'christian sin' corner is.

If I was getting paid to write and promote beliefs of someone else, to further their influence or gain, than by all means throw all the bricks you can and I will join you. But this is a personal project and I have proven by spending all my life savings and applying all my talent, that I write what I truly believe in. Of course you can disagree and be not interested, but I think some of you will give me the benefit of doubt that I have something original, authentic to say.

I still think, emotions are universal, across various times and cultures, but let's stay in Caledonia 2nd century AD. Emotions are inborn, not learned. They are present in animals. They have nothing to do with an ideology. Talking about cultures having no sense of time, no concept of numbers. That's apples and oranges. Sense of time has to be learned. Concept of numbers has to be learned. But, you do not need to teach a baby to be afraid, just separate it from its mother, the emotion that is already there will come forward. You do not need to teach it to be angry, just take away something it wants, the emotion is already there. Shower another baby with attention and Envy will come forward.

I invite you all to read the Kickstarter page for yourselves and making up your minds about it.

Me going poetic and saying 'but walls do not bring peace' rubs you the wrong way? Thank you for telling me about it. But if it's not too much trouble, help me understand, how that suggests that the characters like Etain or Morrigan are not honor driven. Nial is not honor driven, and it makes for variety: he is ruthless in this sense and doesn't care for shame if it gets the job done. The villain Uther's description states he is cunning. As a respectable quality. The Roman leader Flavius is convinced the world should be governed by glory. He is not painted like a maniac and if you see him just as a murderous arrogant prick, the game will let you experience that it's your loss, if you do not try to understand your enemy.

Marcus is a Roman turned Christian living north from the wall. This is the biggest stretch of imagination in my fiction. But then people more versed in Caledonian history than me agree

indeed there is evidence of trade and other cultural exchanges between the Roman front line and the inhabitants of what is now Scotland.

So Marcus makes the exploration of the 3 worlds (pagan, roman, christian) possible and that's what I mean when I say Sacred Fire explores contemporary western themes, as here we are debating them.

So Marcus, on the contrary to the Roman leader, would say, the world should be governed by mercy. And you can kill him / let him die. And most of the 10 NPCs. But you can not, and never will be able to convince Clair, to change what she is doing (see suggestion above to let us convince Clair altruism is dumb). Because her life's mission is to prove, that you do not have to sacrifice others to win. That she is strong enough to be able to afford to help others. And it has nothing to do with her thinking being altruistic is 'better', but everything to do with her psychology and trauma and backstory. And it's not to say that she doesn't enjoy being altruistic. You can however help Etain remember and restore a state of being where she felt things and was happy. And it doesn't mean she will stops being effective at killing. The game just comments on, that there is a cost for simple solution to complex questions, like answering violence with violence.

My gut feeling is that the trigger word for you guys going, "oh no Christian propaganda rewriting our history" is, Guilt. You say a better word is Shame.

Say, a historical authentic Caledonian (so a cunning, iron-age, artistic, crannog building pagan) has a trauma for not being able to protect his child, when it needed him. What does he feel? Is it Shame? For me it suggest he is ashamed for not meeting a cultural norm, he draws self-worth from. That's why I say he feels guilt. Because he doesn't care what the tribal norm says, he feels bad on an instinctive/parental/protective level, and he can not forgive himself for making a mistake. And that's what I mean with guilt. How is that a feeling introduced by puritans in the 16th century? In this context Wid might feel guilt in the developers commentary video, when he leads the group into danger, and his mission objective to protect the child leads Clair into mortal danger. He feels he made a mistake. And can not forgive himself, because he is the older brother who always protects others. And it rubs him the wrong way that a stranger saved Clair and she admires him.

So Sacred Fire is a historic fiction inspired by 2nd century Caledonia, shortly after the wall was build. There are Pagan, Roman and Christian characters and PARTS of those worldviews are explored and you are left to do a reflection of what fits your mindset. And the PARTS is the key word. I do not promote rape or inconsequential violence.

The important thing to say, is the character you play, is not a blank slate, not at all. As the pitch suggests, Wid is you brother. No other family alive, parents died too early, you have some scars there - on a emotional/instinctive/psychological level. The pitch says: you have seen enough of war for a lifetime. There has been three generations, paying a heavy price, for surviving the Roman superior numbers. It left a mark on the culture that once was. There can still be people who remember what peace looked like. So your character has personal psychological reasons, why he/she is an outlier/free-thinker in the honor culture. Why you don't buy the die-honorably-on-the-battlefield cool-aide, or what else is there than to make our name live forever. Why you want to search for something else. So when you are exposed to Rome, Pagan and Christian worldviews, your character is open to explore parts of them, that I the writer feel inspired to write about. You as a reader might be not interested in those parts and prefer others, and that's fine. My job is to explain what parts are in, and which ones are out. And that's the intent of this post.

Thank you for reading this. See the GAME and decide for yourself whether it brings something new to the table.

Last edited:

poetic

Poetic
Developer
poetic I'm intrigued by what I see and I'm supporting your KS. I think you'll make it as your ask is modest.

I'll also make your KS a news item on my March 25th show.

Don't feel defensive about having a "different" game, it's a strength play to it :D

Thank you for your support and for spreading the word :)

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I see another dev meets the codex little brownshirt brigade. Always fun to behold the horror as someone tries to make sense of a bunch of shit flinging monkeys. Basic emotions aren't cultural. They are biological. The basic emotions are what we all share. Funnily enough, research indicates even many animals share the same basic emotional pallette as us. Here, have a link that even goes a bit farther than that.

https://www.ted.com/talks/frans_de_waal_do_animals_have_morals

Anyway, looks interesting enough to throw lunch money at. Gives me some King of Dragon Pass, Balor of the evil eye and Banner Saga vibes. Pledged.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
I see another dev meets the codex little brownshirt brigade. Always fun to behold the horror as someone tries to make sense of a bunch of shit flinging monkeys. Basic emotions aren't cultural. They are biological. The basic emotions are what we all share. Funnily enough, research indicates even many animals share the same basic emotional pallette as us. Here, have a link that even goes a bit farther than that.

Anyway, looks interesting enough to throw lunch money at. Gives me some King of Dragon Pass, Balor of the evil eye and Banner Saga vibes. Pledged.

Thank you for your support.

No worries, it just helps me sharpen the pitch, so I don't mind. I grew up in Eastern Europe in the 80s, where people got jailed for speaking their minds and the first books I read were dissident books written on a typewriter. So codex talk is a casual tone. And self-publishing on Kickstarter feels like winning a revolution :) If I am trying to explain something and be correct, it's because of my own principles, not because I feel pushed by others to do it.

Last edited:

sstacks

Arcane
Yep I love the Codex because I hate political correctness and folks around here genuinely love CRPGs but it can get pretty rough for no good reason sometimes.

Still, I'll take distilled essence of Internet bile any day over the tyranny of political correctness.

NeoKino

RPGCodex Ninja
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire

Basic emotions are biological and yet intelligence is somehow not biological that is how you leftist think. Always spouting contradictions and ignoring anything that doesn't meet your narratives.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

Thank you for your support.

No worries, it just helps me sharpen the pitch, so I don't mind. I grew up in Eastern Europe in the 80s, where people got jailed for speaking their minds and the first books I read were dissident books written on a typewriter. So codex talk is a casual tone. And self-publishing on Kickstarter feels like winning a revolution :) If I am trying to explain something and be correct, it's because of my own principles, not because I feel pushed by others to do it.

Only real Nazi here is Trash here the only one still :butthurt:people have audacity to have different opinions and are allowed to voice dissent in public unlike his beloved Duchistan. As to game it has potential but its came in worst possible moment when people here are jaded and wary after Torment turned to be much less than it promised. Remember Comrade there is no bad critic especially when you making your first game and have no brand to sell instead of product.

Last edited:

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
I can't stress how childishly naive and queer this game and its developers truly are. How is "peace" even possible in a tribal society, that would be fighting other neighbours for territory even if the Romans weren't nearby. A true commitment to peace would just get them conquered by, say, the scots or the saxons or the danes.

Calm down, deep breath - it's a game for a modern audience. Remember me asking poetic how historically accurate it was intended to be and him replying that he was inspired by history but not a strict recreation?

Yes, if he'd said it was 100% historically accurate and then we had a game full of modern sensibilities then I'd be annoyed that I'd been conned. But it's just a game, from a developer who grew up in the 20th, not the 2nd century, and it looks like it could be pretty fun.

hivemind

It's surreal, almost as if these retards never read Tacitus' Agricola and then elected themselves experts at writing unrealistic "historically-inspired" nonsense in a setting for which they only read a few wikipedia articles.
About the only thing you can learn about ancient Caledonia from Agricola is that Tacitus was a cuck suffering from eternal anal anguish over Domitian.

poetic

Poetic
Developer
I did read Tacitus' Agricola and also the historians who agree it's an eloquent piece of Roman fiction. His son-in-law presenting Agricola as a victor when returning to Rome. You mention Pax Romana - I see it as peace for one 'higher' group of people at the price of ethnic cleansing, warm baths and paved roads for the price of slavery. A world governed by glory. Worse things existed in the history of men, but I wouldn't call it a win.

And the tribes living in feuds and I agree it wasn't a win too. A world governed by strength. That's why your player character in Sacred Fire is an outlier, a free thinker in the tribal society, looking for a new way leading to peace. And as I foreshadowed, the answer to peace lies in understanding your enemies. So yes, the game is not a simple power fantasy, but explores the conflict resolution theme on both the war conflict, inter-personal and personal level. It uses psychology as it's game play tool and poetic writing as it's narrative tool to do that. Even if we wouldn't watch the news, or read this forum, conflict resolution seems like a interesting topic to look into.

We just released a new video, with Doug's voiceover presenting the angle we bring, while exploring conflict resolution in a fresh format innovating the fundamental choice & consequence RPG mechanic:

I think it does a good job in helping you decide if Sacred Fire is something you want to be part of your legacy - a fun and meaningful game you helped make a reality. Thank you.

Jazz_

Arcane
Are you trying to say that Tacitus made shit up and wrote revisionist bullshit about what was basicly contemporary history to him and his readers? give me a fucking break.

hivemind

Both Agricola and Germanica were heavily tainted by his perception of contemporary Rome as a degenerate society. Basically half of Germanica is the "noble savage" meme.
Agricola was even more biased because it was about his father in law and what he wrote about Domitian was fueled entirely by his impotent rage that the aristocratic social class to which he belonged got cucked.

Jazz_

Arcane
Domitian was a paranoid failure of an emperor even going by other accounts like Suetonius, who used different sources for his Twelve Caesars. I don't doubt for a second that, given his nature, he would have put a successful general like Agricola on the shelf out of fear. There were similar cases throughout roman history, think of Germanicus and Tiberius for instance.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom