Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Gunnar

Arbiter
I didn't use tab or the journal, tried to figure everything out on my own so I spent time examining the scene looking for things to use, backtracked a lot trying to finish quests. I ran around a lot looking for reactivity, read item descriptions, didn't reload check failures. Got in lots of fights. Hoarded my consumables.

Playing through a second time to check some of the differences I noticed how easy it is to just breeze through everything if you have every point highlighted, use the journal as a quest compass and use the consumables to win every check. You can talk your way past nearly every battle as well to speed things along further. I'm glad I didn't play that way, I probably would not have liked it as much if I did.

I'd recommend Erritis, Matkina, and Rhin. Aligern, Tybir and Callistege are the worst of the bunch.

Scan thoughts is overrated. You don't need to play a Nano. Just play whatever the fuck you like.

It's a solid 6.5/10 game that failed to live up to PST.

gestalt11

Arbiter
I backed Wasteland 2 and never even considered backing TTON. This was an immediately obvious choice for me because:

1) Numenara sounded like a stupid settings that pales in comparison to the rich flavor of Sigil
2) the central question was stupid and therefore the entire narrative was completely doomed. "What does one life matter?" what the fuck do you think it matters? It depends on what the fuck they did you dumbass.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Speaking of intros i thought tyranny conquest mode was a cool way to start a game.

AoD takes the cake though.

Come to think of it......faction based progression........hidden old technology.........elusive grand baddie.........legionairies.........WHAT A FUCKING RIP OFF

/derail

I backed Wasteland 2 and never even considered backing TTON. This was an immediately obvious choice for me because:

1) Numenara sounded like a stupid settings that pales in comparison to the rich flavor of Sigil
2) the central question was stupid and therefore the entire narrative was completely doomed. "What does one life matter?" what the fuck do you think it matters? It depends on what the fuck they did you dumbass.

:bro:

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
AoD did clarke's law thing so much better.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

what numanuma did is take this saying to a wacky! zany! level and that is what exactly what the numenera setting overplay. there is no room for speculation and other stuff, no sense of consistence is that world because everything is so randum and you can make up anything you want and say it's old tech. you can say there is a poop on a stick and call it ultimate power generator because one of the previous world use it like that.

AoD did this so much gracefully by having certain familiar sci-fi and real tech elements from our world, and twist it into something incomprehensible to regular man by introducing the gods. there is room to speculate, sense of consistence of how the old world use the technology and how surprisingly similar it is to our world's technology with amplified effect that we can only dream to achieve.

like the star power generator in ziggurat/etc. it is basically a nuclear power plant, just alot more powerful, stable, etc. it is basically a miniature star that one can control.

while numanuma have few instances of where you can speculate the tech, it is still too absurd and they offer too few explanation. for example the datasphere thing that is the source of most telepathy in people. they never explained it well. how can some people have access to that or some not? it is just a mystery for the sake of putting wacky stuff in there.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not to jump face-deep into this PoE v. NuTorment shitpostfest, but...I think the most damning indictment of NuTorment (relative to PoE) is how well each sold relatively in their first few weeks out, in light of the fact that they had about the same number of idiots kickstarter backers, similarly overexcited reviews from mainstream reviewers, and similar premises (we're here necrophiliac IE engine games that you loved back in your youth).

Lhynn

Arcane
Not to jump face-deep into this PoE v. NuTorment shitpostfest, but...I think the most damning indictment of NuTorment (relative to PoE) is how well each sold relatively in their first few weeks out, in light of the fact that they had about the same number of idiots kickstarter backers, similarly overexcited reviews from mainstream reviewers, and similar premises (we're here necrophiliac IE engine games that you loved back in your youth).
Because the best games always sell more :lol:

Because the best games always sell more :lol:

BG sold well, BG2 sold well, Fallout sold well, Fallout 2 sold well, PS:T sold pretty well, Deus Ex sold pretty well, Witcher 3 did Carlos Slim numbers...most of the (non-Troika) games before which we prostrate ourselves on the Codex sold well. It is childish to act as if there is NO positive correlation between the quality of a game and its sales, especially if you are comparing a green apple from California to a green apple from California (i.e. same genre, same perspective, same engine, similar sized-studios and publishers, within a few years of one another), as I am when comparing PoE and TToN.

Lhynn

Arcane
BG sold well, BG2 sold well, Fallout sold well, Fallout 2 sold well, PS:T sold pretty well, Deus Ex sold pretty well, Witcher 3 did Carlos Slim numbers...most of the (non-Troika) games before which we prostrate ourselves on the Codex sold well. It is childish to act as if there is NO positive correlation between the quality of a game and its sales, especially if you are comparing a green apple from California to a green apple from California (i.e. same genre, same perspective, same engine, similar sized-studios and publishers, within a few years of one another), as I am when comparing PoE and TToN.
Fallout 3, fallout 4 oblivion, Mass effect 3, DA2 and inquisition. These games positively dwarf the sales of any classic youve mentioned, not to mention CoD or fifa or some racing games, etc.
At the end of the day marketing, target audience, budget, timing, brand recognition and a ton of other factors will sell more than quality. Whats childish is reduce or equate sales with how good a game actually is.
Jesus fuck, there are reviews that attribute numanuma to obsidian, because obsidian has that much more of a presense and reputation than inxile.
Attributing sales to quality is not only naive, it shows you are incredibly out of touch with reality.

Last edited:
Fallout 3, fallout 4 oblivion, Mass effect 3, DA2 and inquisition. These games positively dwarf the sales of any classic youve mentioned, not to mention CoD or fifa or some racing games, etc.
At the end of the day marketing, target audience, budget, timing, brand recognition and a ton of other factors will sell more than quality. Whats childish is reduce or equate sales with how good a game actually is.
Jesus fuck, there are reviews that attribute numanuma to obsidian, because obsidian has that much more of a prescense and reputation than inxile.
Attributing sales to quality is not only naive, it shows you are incredibly out of touch with reality.

Keep shooting. I don't think your strawman is dead yet. A couple of more broad generalizations should do it.

Lord Andre

Arcane
Four weeks, 0 patches.

Great job.

67% user rating and whopping 100k copies on Steam!

That's good. I'm almost at the end and if they put out a patch that adds more focuses to choose from I will go to California and I will choke the life out of Fargo, Keenan and McCuck.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Tybir was fine.
\
\

Last edited:

Gunnar

Arbiter
Aligern, Tybir and Callistege are the worst of the bunch.

Tybir was fine.

None of them were fine, unfortunately.

Erritis - below average, stands out because the others are so bad
Rhin - somewhere between dull and below average, useless tit
Matkina - dull but has lots of content
Aligern - boring and annoying in equal measure
Tybir - most boring of all but not as annoying as Callistege
Callistege - most annoying of all but not as boring as Tybir, i hate her

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Not sure why people hate Callistege so much. She's no Annah but by TToN's standards she's fine even if she thinks too much of herself. I found Aligern's paranoia much less agreeable.

The game isn't as bad as I expected. The intro is a total disgrace (whoever wrote the Specter should be put out of their misery) and the crises are beyond terrible but the rest is surprisingly alright - mildly enjoyable even, if you can keep away the wistful thoughts of what might have been.

WL2 was more fun though. TToN is too buttoned-down even when it tries to be humorous. It's painfully evident that the writers wanted to game to feel classy, but the randomness of the backgrounds alone is enough to negate their efforts. Couldn't inXile at least hire better artists?

All in all, I hope the days of nostalgia-infused Kickstarters are over. I want to see something new and daring, not hit-and-miss rehashes of old classics. From this point of view, TToN is totally a waste of time and money. Four years down the drain. I'm not sure inXile can be saved from its own folly (seeing how their latest projects are ever more questionable) but Obsidian should watch and learn from this fiasco.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
Tybir was fine.

Couldn't stomach him for the 10 minutes I swapped him in for his quest in the Bloom. Too much whining.

None of them were fine, unfortunately.
Rhin - somewhere between dull and below average, useless tit

No wonder it took you 46 hours to finish when you dismiss by far the strongest NPC as useless. She's arguably stronger than the Last Castoff.

When those games came out the average gamer was much different from today's - he was much closer to the average Codexer.

More importantly, other genres benefit much more from graphics and processing power, unlike "true" RPGs. Heck, TToN is visually worse than PS:T , but in stuff like FPS or MMOs that just doesn't happen, even with smaller 5-10 year gaps between games.

Starwars

Arcane
Not sure why people hate Callistege so much. She's no Annah but by TToN's standards she's fine even if she thinks too much of herself. I found Aligern's paranoia much less agreeable.

The game isn't as bad as I expected. The intro is a total disgrace (whoever wrote the Specter should be put out of their misery) and the crises are beyond terrible but the rest is surprisingly alright - enjoyable, even, if you can keep away the wistful thoughts of what might have been.

WL2 was more fun though. TToN is too buttoned-down even when it tries to be humorous. It's painfully evident that the writers wanted to game to feel classy, but the randomness of the backgrounds alone is enough to negate their efforts. Couldn't they at least hire better artists?

All in all, I hope the days of nostalgia-infused Kickstarters are over. I want to see something new and daring, not hit-and-miss rehashes of old classics.

Thing with Callistege is that she is just... so incredibly inoffensive and boring, despite her concept being pretty interesting.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom