Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Making pinned posts less obtrusive?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Could pinned posts on the sites front-page be made less obtrusive?

The current system makes me scroll pretty far in order to see the latest news item. I gain nothing by seeing 4 paragraphs of the latest codex review every time i go the the front page. Perhaps only the title should be pinned or there should be a timelimit for how long anything but the title of a post can be pinned?

I understand that you want to promote content created by administrators and users but this system is really annoying and promotes ignoring the front page all together.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Usually stuff stays pinned for 3 days. But it's manual. Sometimes we leave it longer because it generates additional butthurt, which is needed to fuel the server.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Usually stuff stays pinned for 3 days. But it's manual. Sometimes we leave it longer because it generates additional butthurt, which is needed to fuel the server.

I understand the motivation but recently leaving a long post pinned for weeks seems more like the rule than the exception however.

Additionally, one of the main reasons i frequent the codex is due to the generated butthurt but i doubt leaving long posts pinned for a long time helps to accomplish this. Most butthurt is generated either at the time of the post or by inflammatory remarks made by people in the thread. Long posts lead to people ignoring the contents, for maximum butthurt generation i think either qouting a few lines as opposed to a few paragraphs to be superior. If continuous butthurt on an issue is desired then make new posts, you can even link to the original content again.

I understand you are the webmaster of the site and generally don't post news items yourself but i still believe a more restrictive policy for pinned news items could be beneficial, both for readability and butthurt generation.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
I understand you are the webmaster of the site and generally don't post news items yourself but i still believe a more restrictive policy for pinned news items could be beneficial, both for readability and butthurt generation.
I dunno, you seem pretty butthurt about it being pinned for so long.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
I dunno, you seem pretty butthurt about it being pinned for so long.

:)

Using that logic, way too few people are complaining for it to be considered a butthurt generating mass success ;)

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Reviews/content usually get pinned for a few days, which I don't think is much of a problem. Fundraisers/community stuff like competitions etc. may get pinned for longer than that. That's about it.

The entire point of pinning stuff is that people see it first. That does mean that takes priority over the latest news, but that is the point of content.

The current system makes me scroll pretty far

You mean like 3-4 paragraphs?

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Reviews/content usually get pinned for a few days, which I don't think is much of a problem. Fundraisers/community stuff like competitions etc. may get pinned for longer than that. That's about it.

The entire point of pinning stuff is that people see it first. That does mean that takes priority over the latest news, but that is the point of content.

The current system makes me scroll pretty far

You mean like 3-4 paragraphs?

They point is that it forces you to scroll at all to even view the headline of the latest newsitem/article. I believe that giving attention to both the pinned post and giving visibility to newsitems at the same time is possible. Pinned posts are not the problem, the way they sometimes completely obscure new content for days is.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
to even view the headline of the latest newsitem/article.

2017-03-20 01_27_17.jpg

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
That doesn't make any sense?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom