Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail - Serbian pillow talk, turning Tricks, taking tips

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
My burst costs 16 with a 7.62 Impala

Vorark

Erudite
It's bizarre how good SMGs get while pistols are just..... :negative:

About the skills, seems Hacking > Lockpicking during late game. Whenever I play again, I'm gonna probably put enough into the latter just to be able to open the vents. Electronics is another decent one, dem shields are too useful to pass up.

bati

Scholar
SMG+bear traps still the king eh? Seems like nothing has changed.

Was that ever the king? Smgs are so mobile and so deadly that you don't need traps. Grenades are a much better fit imo.

oneself

Arcane
Shitposter
A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
Unwanted

golgo21

Unwanted
Shitposter
I utterly don't get where your number of bursts come from unless we're playing different versions of the game

with dexterity 12+rapid reload+spec ops+commando you will burst with a 7.62 steel cat 4 times and if you use adrenaline it will be 5.

opium fiend

Augur
Should I start a playthrough now or wait til the expansion comes out? Does it change the game too much in the beginning (I know it adds shotguns)?

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Should I start a playthrough now or wait til the expansion comes out? Does it change the game too much in the beginning (I know it adds shotguns)?

I'd probably wait until the expansion (which should be soon..)

I'm assuming you've waited however long already so what difference does a little extra make.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Given this a good 55 hours across 2-3 different characters but about to give up and stick this one with Alpha Protocol as Codex Fail or aka there will be always some of the Codex games just not my cup of tea.

I really like the character development and some of the inventory management stuff. Beginning to hate the crafting.

My current play through involves some heavy investment in pickpocket (35) which I now think was fail. Probably better to invest that in avoiding melee or range attacks. Combat can be really interesting and complex and often I get a great sense of relief when I come through but too many combat now is ended up killing one and then running off screen. The timers on healing items is havocing me.

I prefer to play with mind power and have maxed each of those skills each level and taken complimentary feats such as Tranquillity and Force User.

Playing on normal and about to find the Armadillo Drill part soon.

Psi skills are 71 each (with bonuses) and invested also in subterfuge. 59 stealth with bonuses.

So - any idea on how to get past chemical vomiting zombie creatures or am I supposed to avoid these guys?

Any words of enlightenment or am I fail. I watched the Mattchat video with the developer and really liked the cut of his jib but suspect his game is too difficult. Loath to start again with a new character or maybe Easy life is just for me.

Thanks

Black Angel

Arcane
What XP system are you playing on, and what kind of character? I assume PSI-Monk build because Pickpocket's main attribute is DEX while PSIs are Will, but PSI-Monk would benefit more from STR due to one of the Psychokinesis feat. Can we see the screenshots of your character screen (main attributes, skills, feat)?

Pickpocket mostly work better with Oddity system, since some oddities are just not accessible unless you pickpocket it or kill the guy which would turn an entire faction hostile towards you. Albeit I haven't actually played a pickpocket/thief/burglar character, I've read the wikipage to Pickpocket and it was suggested to just keep increasing the skill to decrease the 'suspicion' meter, and if you really maxed Pickpocket from the start, then subsequent level-up only needed 5 SPs which is not that much to be honest.

And really, how come there's people who ended up playing combat in that kind of way (attack/kill one guy, then run to wait for cooldown)? Judging from the way you handle combat, then it's better to just stealth past everything, check every containers around Junkyard and the facility below for keys. Iirc one guy in Depot A map next to the Scrapper's HQ possess one of the key and he's with another guy and a dog, somewhat distanced from the bulk of muties around the bonfire.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Given this a good 55 hours across 2-3 different characters but about to give up and stick this one with Alpha Protocol as Codex Fail or aka there will be always some of the Codex games just not my cup of tea.

I really like the character development and some of the inventory management stuff. Beginning to hate the crafting.

My current play through involves some heavy investment in pickpocket (35) which I now think was fail. Probably better to invest that in avoiding melee or range attacks. Combat can be really interesting and complex and often I get a great sense of relief when I come through but too many combat now is ended up killing one and then running off screen. The timers on healing items is havocing me.

I prefer to play with mind power and have maxed each of those skills each level and taken complimentary feats such as Tranquillity and Force User.

Playing on normal and about to find the Armadillo Drill part soon.

Psi skills are 71 each (with bonuses) and invested also in subterfuge. 59 stealth with bonuses.

So - any idea on how to get past chemical vomiting zombie creatures or am I supposed to avoid these guys?

Any words of enlightenment or am I fail. I watched the Mattchat video with the developer and really liked the cut of his jib but suspect his game is too difficult. Loath to start again with a new character or maybe Easy life is just for me.

Thanks

I think any game you put 55 hours into is your cup of tea. It is a rare game I put more than 20 into. 55 is a grand slam. How many hours do you put into games you strongly believe are your cup of teas?

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
What XP system are you playing on, and what kind of character? I assume PSI-Monk build because Pickpocket's main attribute is DEX while PSIs are Will, but PSI-Monk would benefit more from STR due to one of the Psychokinesis feat. Can we see the screenshots of your character screen (main attributes, skills, feat)?

Pickpocket mostly work better with Oddity system, since some oddities are just not accessible unless you pickpocket it or kill the guy which would turn an entire faction hostile towards you. Albeit I haven't actually played a pickpocket/thief/burglar character, I've read the wikipage to Pickpocket and it was suggested to just keep increasing the skill to decrease the 'suspicion' meter, and if you really maxed Pickpocket from the start, then subsequent level-up only needed 5 SPs which is not that much to be honest.

And really, how come there's people who ended up playing combat in that kind of way (attack/kill one guy, then run to wait for cooldown)? Judging from the way you handle combat, then it's better to just stealth past everything, check every containers around Junkyard and the facility below for keys. Iirc one guy in Depot A map next to the Scrapper's HQ possess one of the key and he's with another guy and a dog, somewhat distanced from the bulk of muties around the bonfire.

Being self critical - it seems my melee skill is too low as I find myself missing often when my PSI talents run low. It seems pickpocket was a waste of investment. Dodge and Evasion are too low to make any difference in combat.

I invested in Biology to create health and psi items - not sure if that has paid off yet. I invested some points in tailoring to make money rather than create the best armour.

Can this build be saved? Any tips going forward? I really don't want to start a new character.

Thanks

8A93A55A808C9A5DE720F9283B82E0818A9D28E1

D2DD83E6AFC52A73D2B27F301BCEFFF293D6C410

EEFBC3662CF182EA37FD90EB3956AC6DA05D3112

A10F842718522D39E3BA451486CDF2E56730DD47

Parabalus

Arcane

You should be able to get past it with only PSI, your melee is too low so I wouldn't bother with it. You're missing Premeditation which is the best PSI feat but it should still be doable.

Where exactly are you stuck? The tunnels below should be easy to clear, there is only one room with 3 muties IIRC, the rest are split up.

Be sure to pop Psi Boosters asap to get the cooldown ticking and try to end every round out of LoS of the enemy, ie. nuke one then duck out.

The ground level is a bit harder but you can abuse different area transitions to lead the mutant around like monkeys, if you can't handle them head on. They are easy to sneak past too.

About your build, low melee means you won't hit anything so it's pointless, evasion is in a similar boat. Pickpocketing is sadly mostly useless. No need to restart, you can fix it in later levels easy, but if it's bothering you, you can use Cheat Engine to move some skill points around, better than to lose progress for no reason.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter

You should be able to get past it with only PSI, your melee is too low so I wouldn't bother with it. You're missing Premeditation which is the best PSI feat but it should still be doable.

Where exactly are you stuck? The tunnels below should be easy to clear, there is only one room with 3 muties IIRC, the rest are split up.

Be sure to pop Psi Boosters asap to get the cooldown ticking and try to end every round out of LoS of the enemy, ie. nuke one then duck out.

The ground level is a bit harder but you can abuse different area transitions to lead the mutant around like monkeys, if you can't handle them head on. They are easy to sneak past too.

About your build, low melee means you won't hit anything so it's pointless, evasion is in a similar boat. Pickpocketing is sadly mostly useless. No need to restart, you can fix it in later levels easy, but if it's bothering you, you can use Cheat Engine to move some skill points around, better than to lose progress for no reason.

Thanks - you gave me some confidence and I just found the Armadillo. I could increase my Dodge to 40 in my next level up or increase Evasion to 55 - is that worth it? Otherwise I could go on increasing PSI and Stealth.

Any point increasing the Biology - is it worth making your own hypos and boosters or can you buy them in enough quantities?

Parabalus

Arcane
Thanks - you gave me some confidence and I just found the Armadillo. I could increase my Dodge to 40 in my next level up or increase Evasion to 55 - is that worth it? Otherwise I could go on increasing PSI and Stealth.

Any point increasing the Biology - is it worth making your own hypos and boosters or can you buy them in enough quantities?

I personally dislike both, but Evasion is IMO more useful than dodge since melee enemies are easier to explode before they get to you. If you're going to melee I'd invest points into both of them. Stealth is actually a skill you can easily skimp on because tailoring with black cloth gives you + >150 stealth, and you can get a cloak field later.

Biology is worth getting to 70 effective skill, so much less actual skill points, if you're using PSI. Ultimate prize is at 130, which is useful if you're going with the psi puncher, but not a priority.

I'd think about if you want to stick with the original concept of PSI puncher or switch to pure PSI, since you didn't take any exclusive feats yet. Puncher is easier to fail with (which is fun) and the payoff isn't really higher. As PSI you have more spare points to explore crafting, but you can finish the game without much problems either way, getting the Armadillo Drill is arguably the hardest part.

Tigranes

Arcane
I always put in Stealth since I like that playstyle for these kinds of games, but yeah - it's not really that important to have high rating on it. If you invest 50 real points into it at the start, after that you should have your first cloaking emitter, and soon as Parabalus says be able to craft black cloth stuff.

I think the only places where that minimal investment would possibly struggle is sneaking past the very first Faceless near the whatsitsname town (available same time as rat king town), and then later low stealth might render infiltration path into a couple of places (the prisoner in foundry, the warehouse in core city docks) problematic, but that's about it.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Is there any way to protect yourself from getting stunned by psionics? I'm currently fighting a big group of lunatics and no matter how many of them i put down, the next round there will be reinforcements entering the room and they simply stunlock me to death.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
Given it a decent review on Steam as I find the game fascinating.

in this current play through I nearly smashed the computer as I could not open the doors to find Wyatt as I did in the earlier play through. Now, I found the drill part via a key card via the electronic gate, something I could not to before, and I still can't access Wyatt.

What I can do this time is talk to the Eels group and found my way to a mysterious island where I fought against my own doppelgangers and inside found this pillar.

ECBA9C0DAD23B7B4B6FF4F689673E887E6E835F8

With enough Willpower I was able to learn a Bilocation spell where I can conjure up my own Doppelganger.

Very cool indeed. Cool and strange and weird.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom