Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
put 200 landwhales and nu-males on a team, they get pissed off and drama between them ensues because they can't handle their fee fees and act like grown ups

what's new here exactly?

I JUST SAID THAT, ORIGINAL CONTENT DO NOT STEAL!!!!!!

Lord Haw Haw

Educated
This game should've been a slam dunk. I love geeky episodic Trekish sci-fi. I never played the original ME games simply because I found the art style drab and monochromatic. When the first screenshots started leaking out for this game showing the ships, planet landscapes, spacesuits, weapons, etc.. I thought, okay, I might be all in for this one. I liked the colorful art design. It had a ST:TMP meets Space 1999 meets the Thunderbirds vibe (they got the Thunderbirds animation right). "This might be the one" I thought. Baby's first Mass Effect. It didn't need to be deep... It didn't need to be Planescape Torment in space. Just good, shallow, competently written, casual sci-fi fun.

Strike one: Dickbag racist developer trolling the customer base with his twitter account.
Strike two: Derpy faces on the female characters for the sake of sticking it to the "beautiful people" (which I would've laughed off if it weren't for...)
Strike three: Tumbler fanfic quality writing and dialogue.
Strike four: Phoned in VO acting.
Strike five: Incompetent animation.

I could've lived with the game and it's bugs and dopey faces if it simply weren't for strikes one and three. That's right, I've got a pretty high threshold for bullshit (years of playing Bethesda games will do that).

So, Bioware, you blew it. The last game of yours that I bought on release day was Jade Empire. I was the perfect mark for a sale and you fucked it up because of some shithead employee's big mouth and a staff of writers who didn't even try. This game could've been the one to make me even dip my toe into one of the earlier ME games, but we'll never know now, will we?

But thanks for the laughs all the same.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Lots of conflicts and bro culture.

wot
I'm guessing it's about either being a bro and crunching the time and shutting up or not being a bro and complaining like a sissy girl. Are a bro enough to slave away your life? I mean you chose to work in games, fun shit, your dream, don't you like doing more of it? Oh no big boy gonna cry?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This game should've been a slam dunk. I love geeky episodic Trekish sci-fi. I never played the original ME games simply because I found the art style drab and monochromatic. When the first screenshots started leaking out for this game showing the ships, planet landscapes, spacesuits, weapons, etc.. I thought, okay, I might be all in for this one. I liked the colorful art design. It had a ST:TMP meets Space 1999 meets the Thunderbirds vibe (they got the Thunderbirds animation right). "This might be the one" I thought. Baby's first Mass Effect. It didn't need to be deep... It didn't need to be Planescape Torment in space. Just good, shallow, competently written, casual sci-fi fun.

Strike one: Dickbag racist developer trolling the customer base with his twitter account.
Strike two: Derpy faces on the female characters for the sake of sticking it to the "beautiful people" (which I would've laughed off if it weren't for...)

I could've lived with the game and it's bugs and dopey faces if it simply weren't for strikes one and three. That's right, I've got a pretty high threshold for bullshit (years of playing Bethesda games will do that).

So, Bioware, you blew it. The last game of yours that I bought on release day was Jade Empire. I was the perfect mark for a sale and you fucked it up because of some shithead employee's big mouth and a staff of writers who didn't even try. This game could've been the one to make me even dip my toe into one of the earlier ME games, but we'll never know now, will we?

You clearly weren't paying attention to the saga of BioWare between the release of ME1 and DA:I. That's not a personal attack, mind you; you're better off having missed all of it.

The important takeaway here is that SJWs cannot into humor or fun. Humorless preaching, identity politics shoehorning, and childish nonsense that's utterly tone deaf to normal human social interaction is the best you can expect.

Anyway, no one can blame the voice actors for phoning it in given the material they had to work with.

Glaucon

Prophet

The problem isn't with the animations, it's with your perception of how faces actually work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now just imagine those carefully picked keyframes, but that's the whole animation with a few robotic deadpans thrown in for good measure. (Or, maybe she's just a bad actress?)

267c1213a8.png

SarahSalanica❤ –
@sarahsalanica
NSFW! British lewd lady artist and creator of the comic 'Can('t) Buy Love'! For commissions, please DM me ^^A lewd spot in my brain.
·patreon.com/sarahsalanica

Lone – @lonelytiefling
⚧ (She/Her) • Pre-HRT • Photographer • Beginner artist • Antlered eldritch flirt • Hipster • Neurotic individual • pvt: @sadmalkav // (link: http://amzn.eu/biuEvEC) amzn.eu/biuEvECEngland, United Kingdom
·twitch.tv/lonelytiefling

:timetoburn:

For all the bitching about gayness in ME you guys do, this shit game only has one male Ryder romance option, and it's a sidekick character. Hilariously enough, while the other romances feature naked sex, in the gay one there's mostly dialogue and a fade to black. It's really jarring and a clear sign that homophobia is still alive and kicking over at Bioshit, no matter their over the top SJWing. Which shows that SJW and gay issues don't go together. So stop lumping them together.
Patch 1.05 - Dialogue wheel will now pop up asking which dude wants it in the butt, appropriate animations added

Paragon/Renegade system would be useful now.

• Please be gentle.
  • We'll bang, ok?
  • You will call me Commander.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

The problem isn't with the animations, it's with your perception of how faces actually work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This woman's overacting as an example of normal human facial expressions. ehhhhhh

:deadtroll:

Typical librul "logic" and "evidence" detected.

A character's entire facial animation routine over the course of a five-minute cutscene should not bear a constant resemblance to several split-second, mid-blink, mid-shout freeze frames of an actual actor.

Cudgel

Learned
Patron
Star Effect : Voyager ?

Sounds like they share all the same problems, especially story-wise, although the gameplay in Voyager was a bit better.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Yes, everything about the Tweet is a masterpiece of absurdity -- I mean, the bedrock proposition is that people have gone their whole lives looking at absurd facial expressions and only just noticed it now in ME:A, and meanwhile things like Exorcist neck swivels and and anti-gravity molasses liquor are coincidentally also off... (Obviously, the fact that he picked out particularly ridiculous frames from a weird looking actress's over-delivery of a speech to a crowd is there, too, but that's a secondary point.) I did like the "look in the mirror, this is how you look, too."

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Whenever I see absolute nonsense like the above on Twitter, I momentarily regret not having a Twitter account and therefore being unable to deliver a tongue-lashing, but then I regain my sanity.

Lord Haw Haw

Educated

You clearly weren't paying attention to the saga of BioWare between the release of ME1 and DA:I. That's not a personal attack, mind you; you're better off having missed all of it.

The important takeaway here is that SJWs cannot into humor or fun. Humorless preaching, identity politics shoehorning, and childish nonsense that's utterly tone deaf to normal human social interaction is the best you can expect.

Anyway, no one can blame the voice actors for phoning it in given the material they had to work with.

Oh, I remember all the drama from back in the day but they at least managed to pretend to cater to the gaming public at large while appealing to their fur suited adoring fans. The protags were at least decent to look at in the old games. From the looks of Andromeda, rather than dipping their toes in the SJW swamp like before, they've instead put on their scuba goggles and jumped head first into a vat of semen.

You're right about the VO actors. I take it back.

J1M

Arcane
Wow. Everything looks better in that leaked footage. Not just facial animations, but textures, lighting, particle effects. In the final build you can hardly tell that thing the krogan is holding is even a gas grenade. It looks like he's holding some sort of weird alien fruit.
That's just a recording of someone with a shitty machine. In terms of graphics, krogan skin is probably the greatest technical achievement they can point to in this game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom