Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Krivol

Magister
I just watched few videos on YT about this game. They fucking made all chick ugly cos of SJW. In a 40 mln dollars game!

:excellent:

Also this, taken from sex scene (not sure about this):
468px-MEA-Asari.jpg

GrainWetski

Arcane
Nothing is safe from the shill brigade.

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a great game, but far from being perfect. It will satisfy the expectacions of the fans but fails on delivering a master piece with errors in almost every aspect of the game.

9/10

Not a masterpiece - 9/10

This is a good game. This is a BioWare space RPG. This is a Mass Effect game, in character and execution as well as in name. If you're a Mass Effect fan—the kind who created a custom Shepard and imported a single save game all the way through the original trilogy and has fierce feelings about the proper romance choices for Shepard—then you'll want to buy Andromeda, because even though it won't give you any more Shepard, it will give you more Mass Effect (and there are some hints and voice logs from familiar original trilogy faces to be found—if you look for them).

Please buy this game. I'm a real journalist, not a shill, you guys.

Andromeda is superb, easily jettisoning Ryder and crew ahead of Commander Shepard and his team.

For the first time in his life of misery, John Walker is right:

Fascinating reading the positive Andromeda reviews. They all say, "I wish it had been worth the score I'm giving it." Endemic in reviews.

J1M

Arcane
Having played 10 hours of Andromeda, I can assure you that Dragon Age 2 will remain bioware's worst game.

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arcade Sushi - Luke Brown - 7 / 10.0

Bioware brought a lot more planets, combat, exploration and mechanics to the table this time around, but more isn't always better. There may be no stronger case for keeping things simple than Mass Effect Andromeda.

Areajugones - Antonio Vallejo.T - Spanish - 9 / 10

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a great proyect by BioWare and it is a stunning experience. Amazing narrative and plot, a true feeling of exploration and a very dynamic combat system. Even though its animations may not be the best ones, this game offers hours and hours of action and entertainment.

Ars Technica - Lee Hutchinson - No Verdict

This is a good game. This is a BioWare space RPG. This is a Mass Effect game, in character and execution as well as in name. If you're a Mass Effect fan—the kind who created a custom Shepard and imported a single save game all the way through the original trilogy and has fierce feelings about the proper romance choices for Shepard—then you'll want to buy Andromeda, because even though it won't give you any more Shepard, it will give you more Mass Effect (and there are some hints and voice logs from familiar original trilogy faces to be found—if you look for them).

Attack of the Fanboy - Kyle Hanson - 4 / 5 stars

Mass Effect: Andromeda fails to deliver a compelling plot and the journey to a whole new galaxy offers little that's new or exciting. Still, it does give you the same quality gameplay the series is known for and you'll enjoy your time with your new crew, even if they're no replacement for the originals.

CGMagazine - Chris Carter - 7 / 10.0

At times, Mass Effect: Andromeda can feel like an expansion and not a true follow-up.

COGconnected - Paul Sullivan - 88 / 100

The fantastic combat and strong story points far outweigh the technical missteps and more cringeworthy moments.

Critical Hit - Geoffrey Tim - 8 / 10.0

Mass Effect Andromeda is a fresh start – but in borrowing liberally from the first game it’s made many of the same mistakes. In spite of them, it’s an exciting space adventure that delivers everything that’s become important to Mass Effect: Great characters, fun exploration and a climactic tale of good vs evil.

Daily Dot - AJ Moser - 3 / 5 stars

In many ways, this new chapter fails to live up to its predecessors.

Destructoid - Brett Makedonski - 6.5 / 10.0

Mass Effect: Andromeda spends a lot of time not really feeling like a Mass Effect game. If anything, it feels like a spin-off -- the sort of thing created by another studio that's unsure about what direction to take it. Like in the game itself, there are problems with the atmosphere. But Andromeda is very clear that it doesn't aim to be like the other Mass Effects. New beginnings, not funerals -- for better and for worse.

Digital Spy - Justin Mahboubian-Jones - 3 / 5 stars

BioWare is a pillar of the gaming landscape, but somewhere along the line the Andromeda project steered off course. Who knows where this leaves the franchise, but any sequel is going to have to rediscover its focus or just like the Initiative, fans may also choose to emigrate to pastures new.

Digital Trends - Phil Hornshaw - 2.5 / 5 stars

Mass Effect: Andromeda often comes off like a giant checklist of Mass Effect–themed content, but what it's missing is the wonder and excitement that made the last Mass Effect games feel special. The previous games had their issues, but combined their elements to create a vast, interesting world full of deep characters with conflicting desires and experiences that made us feel connected to it.

Eurogamer - Edwin Evans-Thirlwell - No Recommendation

The combat crackles and the worlds are lush, but mediocre writing and tepid quests add up to what is probably BioWare's worst RPG yet.

Fenix Bazaar - Gaetano Prestia - 8 / 10.0

Mass Effect: Andromeda is an important first step for a franchise looking to enter into a new generation. It might get off on the wrong foot, but some crafty navigation quickly gets it back on track.

Forbes - Paul Tassi - 8.5 / 10.0

I have a feeling that Mass Effect fans will enjoy the game, but I don't think anyone will claim it outclasses the original trilogy, outside of maybe the very first game. If you could combine the story and memorable quests of the originals with the combat, visuals and scope of Andromeda, you would have the perfect video game, though I think what's offered here will satisfy most.

Game Informer - Joe Juba - 8 / 10.0

Mass Effect: Andromeda has the series’ signature mixture of story, characters, and combat. Though its success rate varies in each area, it still provides dozens of hours of fun

Game Revolution - Aron Garst - 3.5 / 5 stars

I had a lot of fun with Mass Effect: Andromeda. The galaxy I got to explore was full of life and the combat felt incredibly satisfying. But various issues with important mechanics like the scanner and hefty technical problems prevented my enjoyment from ever lasting too long.

Although familiar in some regards, this is a positive in Andromeda's case. Though, a truly successful revival needs to be innovative, not repetitive, and Andromeda often falls into a trap of tedium. It's a shame because it could have been so much more.

GameMAG - xtr - Russian - 7 / 10

Mass Effect: Andromeda has many noticeable problems, including strange animation, ugly characters, logically incomplete quests and numerous minor flaws. But this game offers an interesting main plot, nice RPG system and a huge world where you can explore different planets, solve puzzles, fight giant monsters, uncover secrets of the universe and participate in the colonization of deep space. Of course, this is not the Mass Effect we wanted, but a very large and interesting game, which significantly extends the known universe.

Gameplanet - Matt Maguire - 8 / 10.0

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a paradox: it's both disappointing and excellent. A mammoth title, it delivers tons of great content, but hamstrings itself with a poor first few hours, a few horrible systems, and some uninspired scenarios. Even so, it's pretty great!

GamePro - Rae Grimm - German - 87 / 100

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a gigantic Sci-Fi epos and brave restart for the series, that doesn't reach the magic of its predecessors.

GamesBeat - Jeff Grubb - 55 / 100

Games have to fit into our lives, and that's not always fair. Mass Effect: Andromeda might've worked a decade ago on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, but it doesn't work in a world that is delivering games like Horizon: Zero Dawn, Nier: Automata, and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. In this reality, BioWare's latest role-playing game is old, broken, and often boring.

Worst of all, it's going to disappoint fans of the Mass Effect series.

GameSpace - Suzie Ford - 8.5 / 10.0

Whether it’s the combat system that is both new and familiar or multiplayer with its improvements or the interesting variety of quests or the epic score that screams Mass Effect, it all gels together into a whole. Ryder’s galaxy is as well-suited to her as the Milky Way was for Shepard. If we’re lucky, there are a lot more adventures in store for Ryder and her crew.

To take a phrase from the original trilogy’s Anderson, “You did good, BioWare. You did good and I’m proud of you.”

GameSpot - Scott Butterworth - 6 / 10

Andromeda's combat soars but its storytelling sputters, making the series' first venture into uncharted space a shaky but occasionally satisfying new adventure.

GamesRadar+ - Andy Hartup - 3.5 / 5 stars

Andromeda provides an interesting premise and story, but is let down by poor combat, excessive padding, and over-complication

Gaming Nexus - Kinsey Danzis - 8.8 / 10.0

Mass Effect: Andromeda doesn’t quite live up to the hype, but it comes close. Considering the situation in which the developers found themselves, they put out an addition to the franchise that really feels like returning home even though you’re millions of light years from Earth. With stunning scenery, a distinct Mass Effect feel, and an abundance of things to do, it’s a worthy investment for any Mass Effect veteran or newcomer—but don’t expect it to be perfect.

GamingTrend - Travis Northup - 80 / 100

Mass Effect Andromeda is a return to the original Mass Effect game in ways both good and bad. Interesting characters, solid gameplay and RPG mechanics, and the revival of the open-world elements of the series will immerse and delight longtime fans. However, wooden characters, a light story, and plenty of glitches hold this title back from fulfilling its full potential.

God is a Geek - Chris White - 8.5 / 10.0

A welcome return to Bioware’s space opera, introducing great characters, an interesting story and some fantastic designs, always providing things to do.

Hardcore Gamer - Adam Beck - 3.5 / 5.0

Mass Effect: Andromeda is an unbalanced experience.

IGN - Dan Stapleton - 7.7 / 10.0

Mass Effect: Andromeda only occasionally recaptures the series' brilliance, but delivers a vast and fun action-RPG.

IGN Italy - Francesco Destri - Italian - 8 / 10

Mass Effect: Andromeda is disappointing in many aspects (not just the visual ones), even if sci-fi mood, exploration, crafting and multiplayer are well done.

IGN Spain - José L. Ortega - Spanish - 9 / 10

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a great game, but far from being perfect. It will satisfy the expectacions of the fans but fails on delivering a master piece with errors in almost every aspect of the game.

M3 - Niklas Alicki - Swedish - 5 / 10

Bioware's highly anticipated space adventure sadly fails to deliver on some critical points. Wonky animations, a boring set of characters and so-so story elements have officially de-railed the hype train for Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 6 / 10

What could have been an all-time classic action role-player is let down by a surprisingly poor script and unengaging characters.

MMORPG.com - Catherine Daro - 8.7 / 10.0

Mass Effect: Andromeda is a very solid game. BioWare had obviously taken their lessons both from original Mass Effect trilogy as well as Dragon Age series and mixed it with fair dose of experience of other AAA titles of late. It is not Inquisition in space, although the influence of it is clearly seen.

PC Gamer - Chris Thursten - 80 / 100

Marred by inconsistency and in need of a polish pass, this vast new sci-fi frontier nonetheless rewards dedicated exploration.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Keri Honea - 6.5 / 10.0

With the vast love of the Mass Effect series, Andromeda was never going to make people 100% happy, the same way the ME3 ending didn't make people happy. The BioWare team put so many great things in place, but the main story, the characters, and most of the writing keep the game from being great. Sadly, technical mess keeps it from being good.

PlayStation Universe - Kyle Prahl - 8 / 10.0

Andromeda’s first adventure is plagued by frustrations. But memorable characters, a satisfying story, and deep RPG systems ultimately win the day.

Polygon - Arthur Gies - 7.5 / 10.0

Andromeda succeeds, despite a host of problems

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 8.5 / 10.0

BioWare's daring and imaginative sci-fi epic is loaded with topical, optimistic, and progressive themes–plus a requisite dollop of humdrum combat

Press Start - James Mitchell - 9 / 10

Mass Effect: Andromeda manages to successfully bring back the sense of exploration and discovery that fans have longed for since the original Mass Effect, whilst honing and improving the already enjoyable combat mechanics of Mass Effect 3. The result is something truly special – a metaphorical slow burn, a hybrid that is sure to appeal to fans of both the original game and its flashier sequels. Despite this, Andromeda is hampered slightly by its lack of visual polish and presentation, which can kill the wonder and fantasy as quickly as it builds it.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun - John Walker - No Verdict

As a follow-up to the previous trilogy, it's a timid and tepid tale too heavily reliant on what came before, too unambitious for what could have been, trapped in a gargantuan playground of bits and pieces to do.

RPG Fan - Derek Heemsbergen - 78%

Mass Effect: Andromeda presents plenty of great ideas, but these tend to be either aped too closely from its predecessors or buried under issues that are surmountable yet frustrating all the same.

RPG Site - Andrea Shearon - 7 / 10

A worthy entry into the Mass Effect series on the basis of lore, story, and characters. However, technical failings hold it back.

Shacknews - Brittany Vincent - No Verdict

Mass Effect Andromeda is like the schlockiest science fiction B-movie you can find to rent and laugh at all night. It tries so hard, so desperately, to be everything to everyone. But its biggest pitfall is taking itself so seriously with a cavalcade of issues that not only break immersion but sometimes prevent you from advancing or enjoying the game in a manner that doesn't involve saving, stopping, restarting, and going back into it hoping the problem has been fixed.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 9.5 / 10.0

Andromeda is superb, easily jettisoning Ryder and crew ahead of Commander Shepard and his team.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 8 / 10

I found it hard to be excited during the opening hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda. It feels too safe, too much like what's gone before, but then it clicks. There's a moment where the galaxy opens up and you find yourself embarking once more on a huge mission across compelling, beautifully constructed planets, surrounded by memorable characters. Sadly the glut of technical missteps serve to cheapen proceedings, but this is still an adventure you don't want to miss out on.

TrustedReviews - Brett Phipps - 3.5 / 5 stars

Andromeda is a good game and I've enjoyed my time with it. However, for those who've been waiting five years for another Mass Effect adventure, I don't think it will be good enough.

USgamer - Kat Bailey - 3 / 5 stars

Mass Effect Andromeda falls short of its predecessors, but it's still a competently executed open-world action RPG with an interesting world and tons of quests to complete. Its biggest shame is that it doesn't make better use of its setting, opting instead to go with more of the same. Hopefully BioWare will be more ambitious when it comes time for the inevitable sequel.

Video Game Sophistry - Andy Borkowski - 6 / 107 / 10

Performance issues are a huge let down, and it feels more Dragon Age than Mass Effect. But if you like open world exploration with fast paced gun fighting, and a hero story like an OTT Hollywood action movie, you'll probably like Andromeda.

Xbox Achievements - Richard Walker - 80%

You might initially turn your nose up at Mass Effect: Andromeda, but stick with it and you'll be richly rewarded with a vast space opera that gets better and better. It has problems, but they pale into insignificance once you're swept up in the exploits of Mass Effect: Andromeda's Pathfinder.

PCGamesN - 8/10

Still, if you look at it as a reboot, a starting point for the series, there’s lots of promise in that future. The first Mass Effect had countless problems, far more than here, but that will always be remembered as a classic, despite leaving similar threads hanging. Ultimately, this is a story about laying the foundations of a civilization, and it feels like BioWare were doing the same for the future of the franchise. In that way, these RPG developers have become Pathfinders themselves.

So, let me get this straight, because there seem to be some common denominator in many of these snippets...

These people, they all, actually, really think that the previous ME games had great story and writing? Like, for real?

a cut of domestic sheep prime

Having played 10 hours of Andromeda, I can tell you with clarity that Dragon Age 2 will remain bioware's weakest game.
So you like it? Elaborate, if you would.

Sherry

Arcane
Hi.

yesterday on the radio I was listening to a talk show channel and learned it is a show aired each Sunday from 7pm to 8pm and when I got home I looked up the radio station and found all the episodes except the one from last night and made a post to the Chris Avellone thread linking to a recorded radio show interviewing the person right? Well still the radio show from last night is not posted in full audio but I found the review from the radio show on its YouTube channel. It is only the review of Andromeda and not the entire broadcast show and that is what I heard while in the car and wondered wtf show it was but I only usually listen to the talk show in the morning for news and traffic reports right so I was kind of shocked there was a show on the radio about video games while changing the stations during commercials on another music station and here they were talking about the new Andromeda game.

okay so here is the review for anyone interested. In the Chris Avellone thread you can find a link to all the old radio shows like the Chris Avellone interview and they even have one with Josh Sawyer and Trent Oster but what is cool about this is that is a radio show not usually what I have come to expect when I turn on the radio in the car lol.

Thanks,
Sherry

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I wonder is someone can upload the lesbian scissoring sex scene from the Kill.Me.Now romance for some extra lulz
If they actually did different positions for different sexes, I would almost want to give them points for the effort. Almost. :M

I don't see how they can use that position in faggot sex scene or a lesbian one unless they include a strap-on

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Quoting someone from reddit:

The takeaway here seems to be that the plot is strong and exciting but boring and lame. The combat is fantastic but also poor.

The characters are deep, memorable and great, but also ugly, boring and unengaging.

The game feels like a radical departure for the series, but more of the same. It's a clear vision of the future direction of the Mass Effect franchise, but also more like an expansion pack than a real new game in its own right.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

The guy is a little hyperbolic. Also, he doesn't just outright call the writing what it is: childish.

Still, an incline over the posiive reviews which are FAKE NEWS at this point.
Inqusition was worse. Origins probably too.
Origins wasn't too bad actually. Choices and consequences, decent writing (apart from the darkspawn themselves), and the different origin choices were novel. Not enough likable characters though. Moragan was the only one I can remember liking offhand. Leliana was tolerable. And I think the game devs figured this out because they really milked both of these characters in every game/expansion afterward.

Inqusition seemed to be a lot more polished visually than DA2, but the writing was SJW garbage and the gameplay was MMO-lite.

DA:O was a decent game. DA:I was a bad game. DA2 was a hollow, soulless cashgrab - and a bad game.

Prime Junta

Origins wasn't too bad actually. Choices and consequences, decent writing (apart from the darkspawn themselves), and the different origin choices were novel. Not enough likable characters though. Moragan was the only one I can remember liking offhand.

Origins is a thoroughly competent game. I appreciate the workmanship that went into it.

Still can't manage to like it though. And boy howdy have I tried. :negative:

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Origins wasn't too bad actually. Choices and consequences, decent writing (apart from the darkspawn themselves), and the different origin choices were novel. Not enough likable characters though. Moragan was the only one I can remember liking offhand.

Inqusition seemed to be a lot more polished visually than DA2, but the writing was SJW garbage and the gameplay was MMO-lite.

DA:O was a decent game. DA:I was a bad game. DA2 was a hollow, soulless cash grab - and a bad game.

DA:O seems as if it was written by bad writter, who's in his middle age crisis and may become good writter, but eventually he fails. And thus DA2 and DA:I exist.

About DA2, I played entire trillogy like, 2 times? Each time I finished, it was DA2 I considered the best. Dunno why exactly, but this game made me do every quest, actaully everytime I played I'd done 100%.
All that despite having shitty romances, bad combat (looking like from anime, which after pretty brutal and realistic DA:O combat was pure decline), unlogical and shitty ending and of course location recycling (DA:O DLCs actually gave us prediction of that, they were all in recycled locations).
DA2 was overall better experience and felt better than other Dragon Ages. But yes, I cannot understand how was it possible that the game was released in state it was. It was pure disaster.
It had 0 logic, why would anyone show such unfinished product after having well-rated first game? Even from financial point of view it was madness. It bugs me to this day.
Actually, I wouldn't like to see another Dragon Age 2.

Frozen

Arcane
Origins is a good game, DA2 is a bad game, DA:I is not a game its MMO abortion.
This thing is 99% Inquisition in space, so it has a chance to duke it out for the worst game from this company.
It will come down to how bad the gameplay is.

Sentinel

Arcane
Origins is a good game, DA2 is a bad game, DA:I is not a game its MMO abortion.
This thing is 99% Inquisition in space, so it has a chance to duke it out for the worst game from this company.
It will come down to how bad the gameplay is.
Origins is a mediocre dull game, DA2 is a terrible pile of shit, DAI is a single player MMO (which puts it below Origins).

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Andromeda is just Inqustion in space with many copy-pasted features, but I already mentioned it before with examples.
It won't be the worst game from bioware, nothing will ever be worse than Neverwinter Nights. In andromeda you can at least go hiking around, in NVN you would vomit after hour of looking at game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom