Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Shocking Report From RPS: First Hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda Stinks

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
reminder this is one of the lead designer in bioware

g26DAkt.jpg

lzj4kgca.png

I guess they also put this guy in charge of the facial animations.:lol:

His brow actually moves so I doubt it.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
the writing is also cringeworthy as fuck

just look. that stoner dude from siege of dragonspear seems tame compared to this most awkward conversation in recorded history of video gaming

kill. me. now.

even watching that clip made me almost puke in my mind. at least the bright side is i have the urge to boot up a new playtrough of age of decadence to flush the taste out and experience actual good writing.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

just look. that stoner dude from siege of dragonspear seems tame compared to this most awkward conversation in recorded history of video gaming

kill. me. now.

even watching that clip made me almost puke in my mind. at least the bright side is i have the urge to boot up a new playtrough of age of decadence to flush the taste out and experience actual good writing.

The animations are so bad that it feels like the scene would be better if it was just text with a voiceover.

Sothpaw

Learned
Not buying because I won't support a company who employs trash like Manveer (on top of the fact that Bioware makes trash videogames). Plus, you can't even order companions to use abilities so it is now even more of a below average tps.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

kill. me. now.

The animations are so bad that it feels like the scene would be better if it was just text with a voiceover.

Looking at the bright side this is the first conversation blowjob I have ever seen! I would lol really hard if we would find out that someone did this as a prank.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
share a laugh day

Why+bioware_63d071_5829072.jpg

happy sunday guys! :)

tom-hanks.gif

Seriously guys. How can somebody look like this? Does she has no shame? That hair, the thick necklace, the shirt which is 5 size smaller than it should be, the purple purse, to pose. I can't believe there are people out there who dress like this and think, yes, I'm cool and should totally go out.

You can be overweight and dress tasteful honey, but you look like a clown in this setup.

Last edited:

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well, to be fair,
1) an animator doesn't have to be a 2d artist, and actually rarely is
2) facial animations in ME are procedural or mocap or a mix or whatever

So...
Well, to be 100% fair, she does actually have a semi-decent CV, problem is, she only ever worked on toons.

Now why would you want to hire someone who only worked with highly stylized 2d animation before, mostly likely hasn't dealt with 3d animation at all after the college, and then go and put them in charge of making facial animations for a $40 mil vidya game is anybody's guess at this point. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
so... its gonna be rpg in which you kill white people?
He complains about how in the West, "brown people are marginalised" because of 9/11.

Dude, maybe lose the "I'm sexually repressed and angry beard" and people won't think you're a psycho. That thing on your face ain't helping.

Tt9l2Xul_400x400.jpg
Don't blame the beard for his insanity. It's the shit comes out his mouth and well his desire to kill/hunt whites aka. "the new project".

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
When I recall all the good studios that EA absorbed and then left a lifeless husk like Origin or Bullfrog I kind of feel that at least those studios were snuffed out relatively quickly and only produced a few quick death games but honestly seeing what Bioware has become is so disgusting with all that retarded dialogue, plots, transexual employed writers and a fixiation for allowing the player to live out their fantasies of sticking it in some orifice of some alien is frankly too much... not even entertaining anymore its like Bethesda and Fallout 4 it is not even funny anymore

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
GameSpot 6/10

http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/mass-effect-andromeda-review/1900-6416638/

Worse still, your agency in these conversations is limited. Sure, you can periodically select from up to four dialogue options, but these frequently boil down to "be optimistic" or "be realistic." On paper, this system improves over the rigid renegade/paragon dichotomy of the original series, but in practice, the various options felt only superficially different. And regardless of what I picked, my inputs only rarely impacted the outcome. Even when I tried to be rude, characters generally found a way to shrug it off. And after beating the campaign, I can only recall one major decision that had serious repercussions, and even that felt contrived. It also paled in comparison to the memorably gut-wrenching choices forced on me in the original games.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
The gut-wrenching choices like choosing which alien to romance.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
GameSpot 6/10

Oh dear.

After first falling out with the hardcore crowd, then falling out increasingly with the mainstream gamers and rising tension even with their very own SJW audience, now they finally fall out with the press too. Mass Effect was supposed to be their saving grace series after they ran DA into the ground. So.. is it finally dead?

:dead:

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Unfortunately it's EA, and they'll run Bioware until it cracks up and burns, and actually makes an unprofitable game.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The slaughter continues:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-03-19-mass-effect-andromeda

If there's any genuine mystique to the idea of travelling 2.5 million lightyears to colonise another galaxy, BioWare's fourth Mass Effect smacks it over the head with a prospector's shovel and boots it out the airlock during the first few hours of play. You're left with a zesty but unsurprising third-person shooter, struggling through a soup of mundane chores - a game of mesmerising, gargantuan landscapes sabotaged by uneven writing and (at the time of review) an astonishing quantity of bugs. Perhaps above all, there's a shortage of drama or real consequence to Andromeda, apparently brought on by the shift to an open world template, that is sadly new to Mass Effect - a series celebrated not merely for its freedom of choice, but for making those choices matter.
Unfortunately, many of the key dilemmas recycle well-trodden conceits from the original trilogy and RPGs at large - yes, the salarians and krogans are still at each other's throats over the genophage, and yes, you'll be asked to decide the fate of a possibly innocent convict. Other decisions are revealed to be of small import in hindsight, which reflects both the relative weakness of the writing and a broader structural shift - away from the flexible yet impactful narratives of previous games and towards the spineless, anything-goes tepidity of an open world.
The lion's share of Andromeda's missions are busywork - go to a waypoint, scan 10 Remnant collapsible shelving units with your ugly wrist-mounted display, scoop up five mineral deposits for some lazy boffin back on the Nexus, blow up three raider outposts, and so forth. The game's partiality for such insipid fare is made all the worse by some needless toing-and-froing - this is a universe with FTL communications and cranial AI implants, but you can't check your email, pick a weapon prototype to research or take a vidcall without heading home to the Tempest. More aggravating still is the act of travelling between planets and solar systems, a janky, unskippable 20 second cinematic which feels like some animator's pet project that nobody had the heart to erase.
A wider problem with Andromeda's writing is BioWare's failure to convincingly replace the old Paragon/Renegade system, which awarded points for Nice and Nasty dialogue choices or actions. As a way of thinking about ethics Paragon/Renegade is obviously very clunky, but as a dramatic device it creates strong pivotal moments in dialogue while underlining the effects of your decisions over time. Andromeda's equivalent, a four-way split between rational, emotional, casual and professional options, is relatively non-committal. It's basically the choice between bored Ryder, soppy Ryder, flip Ryder and parent Ryder, neither of whom are really worth getting to know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom