Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
she was like 5 at the time and couldn't really understands what she was doing
Such thing is non-existent, I read article that claimed that children under 1 year understand and differ good and evil, scientisc measured children's reaction on varios schematic pictures.
So children actually always do understand what they are doing.

were not intentional
Every action is always intentional.

Last edited:

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
she was like 5 at the time and couldn't really understands what she was doing
Such thing is non-existent, I read article that claimed that children under 1 year understand and differ good and evil, scientisc measured children's reaction on varios schematic pictures.
So children actually always do understand what they are doing.

were not intentional
Every act is always intentional.

Yes, and this sort of bullshit naivety about children always being "innocent" is false. The entire Salem Witch Trials were the result of children telling lies and making false accusations which resulted in many people being killed because the adults believed children were incapable of lying.

Sirin explicitly states in the dialog that she knew what she was doing when she killed her brother. She also killed her father, but I can't quite recall the specifics of that, so he might have deserved it... maybe. Either way, she is a cold and ruthless killer. Don't let her age fool you. She even tried to kill Kyros - and very nearly succeeded - and that is why she is forced to wear the headdress to restrain her powers.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fairfax brings our attention to this panel Marat Sar participated in with Chris Avellone on Friday (why didn't you post about it Kasparov)

http://schedule.sxsw.com/2017/events/PP96772

For Games to Evolve They Need to Get Political
MAR 17, 2017 | 5:00PM – 6:00PM
SPEAKERS
ROBERT KURVITZ
ZA/UM
MARIA REINUP
ZA/UM
CHRIS AVELLONE

The next step in creating big narratives for video games can not be made without political side-taking. There is no such thing as great apolitical writing. It is a responsibility of writers which they take upon themselves. They choose a side and fight it. We see it in literature but there is very little overt side-taking in video game narratives. Games have pussy-footed around political issues. How do we get beyond mere indications, on to real political side-taking and after that to offering solutions?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Fairfax brings our attention to this panel Marat Sar participated in with Chris Avellone on Friday (why didn't you post about it Kasparov)

SPEAKERS
ROBERT KURVITZ
ZA/UM
MARIA REINUP
ZA/UM
CHRIS AVELLONE

The next step in creating big narratives for video games can not be made without political side-taking. There is no such thing as great apolitical writing. It is a responsibility of writers which they take upon themselves. They choose a side and fight it. We see it in literature but there is very little overt side-taking in video game narratives. Games have pussy-footed around political issues. How do we get beyond mere indications, on to real political side-taking and after that to offering solutions?
I heard about it from Instagram. Some scheduling got shuffled around at the last minute and I learned about it after the fact :(

Kuattro

Augur
The next step in creating big narratives for video games can not be made without political side-taking.

:retarded:

There is no such thing as great apolitical writing.

:retarded::retarded:

They choose a side and fight it.

If they're zealots so convinced to know what's right for everyone else that they never ever shut the fuck up about it, even when making an entertainment product. Basically like Jehovah's witnesses. Have you heard about our lord and savior inclusiveness?

there is very little overt side-taking in video game narratives.

:retarded::retarded::retarded:

Also sweet baby Jesus, does whoever wrote this live in 2017 like the rest of us?

Games have pussy-footed around political issues. How do we get beyond mere indications, on to real political side-taking and after that to offering solutions?

I've run out of retarded smilies, damn it.

"Offering solutions". By writing interactive moving cartoons.

Good Lord.

It might be that the theme panel was chosen by someone else and they just got invited to say their piece (I don't know how these things works), or it might be, as Fairfax has pointed out in Avellone's thread, that ZA/UM have just masterfully bamboozled the Codex. Any way, massive butthurt incoming, hopefully.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yes, and this sort of bullshit naivety about children always being "innocent" is false. The entire Salem Witch Trials were the result of children telling lies and making false accusations which resulted in many people being killed because the adults believed children were incapable of lying.

Sirin explicitly states in the dialog that she knew what she was doing when she killed her brother. She also killed her father, but I can't quite recall the specifics of that, so he might have deserved it... maybe. Either way, she is a cold and ruthless killer. Don't let her age fool you. She even tried to kill Kyros - and very nearly succeeded - and that is why she is forced to wear the headdress to restrain her powers.

She knew that she would cause the premature birth of her brother, but not of the grave implications of that.

Her father clearly deserved it in Sirin's version, but then again we only hear her version, so there's no way to tell for sure.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Juveniles aren't tried as adults (unless they do something really terrible as a teenager) because they're mentally incapable of understanding the consequences of their actions. :M

As for that panel

Who could be behind this???

Prime Junta

This place needs a "triggered" button. "Butthurt" isn't always a suitable replacement.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
"Damn, I wish I was engaging in some political activity here," thought nobody ever while playing Doom.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
"Offering solutions". By writing interactive moving cartoons.
Well, the children really are our future, buttwipe. If you wish to discuss this topic, then pick up your turd-faces and whip out your rhetorics instead.

I will make a videogame about it instead, so that everyone knows how right I am and how wrong you are.

Will you? That would actually be great.

"Damn, I wish I was engaging in some political activity here," thought nobody ever while playing Doom.
Oh, I love Doom.

On another note Noble Games did a hatchet job of our PAX East Twitch stream and immortalized the clip on the Youtubes. So if any of you missed it:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This place needs a "triggered" button. "Butthurt" isn't always a suitable replacement.

I guess I might be more concerned if I hadn't become familiar with what's known on Twitter as the "Irony Left" during the recent US election. First time I learned that lefties had begun using the word "liberal" as a pejorative. Really funny guys.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Getting political is an excellent way for art to become dated, narrow-minded and plain annoying, especially in turbulent times like these.
That´s funny. You bash political and yet political means jack shit without context. We can have this conversation again after you´ve played the game (or suffered a Let´s Play on Youtube or Twitch)
Or go on - base your opinions on those of others - Roxors´ perhaps. He´ll be delighted, I´m sure

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Although I guess I could see why someone living in a backwater country that's been a fief/colony/province of other people throughout its nearly entire existence would be upset about there being no "Eastern European Civilisation" (tm)

MasPingon

Arcane

ROBERT KURVITZ
ZA/UM
MARIA REINUP
ZA/UM
CHRIS AVELLONE

"video games can not be made without political side-taking"
"responsibility of writers"
"no such thing as great apolitical writing"
"responsibility of writers which they take upon themselves"
"choose a side and fight it"
"How do we get beyond mere indications, on to real political side-taking"
"offering solutions"

What the actual fuck? I hope MCA didn't echo that sort of thinking in the panel. It's so wrong that I can't even...:negative:

Kudos to the developers for being so cunning, though. They've successfully tricked most of the Codex into hyping what sounds like a glorified political message.

Yeah, we can see how games evolved by doing this in Mass Effect:Andromeda and basically every Bioware games since DA. Since when getting political makes any kind of creativity more valuable? It's very disturbing when they speak about it like it's the most obvious thing in the world. This is some heavy SJW retardiation and todays biggest problem of the industry. What the flying fuck is this madness?

Gondolin

Arcane
I guess I might be more concerned if I hadn't become familiar with what's known on Twitter as the "Irony Left" during the recent US election. First time I learned that lefties had begun using the word "liberal" as a pejorative. Really funny guys.

Only in the USA does "liberal" mean "leftist". Liberal parties are right wing parties.

Prime Junta

Getting political is an excellent way for art to become dated, narrow-minded and plain annoying, especially in turbulent times like these.

d00d

Everything is political.

It's just that if you think it's not political, you're unaware of your politics -- which means you're mindlessly regurgitating whatever politics your environment fed you. That's almost always just predictable and dull.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

SPEAKERS
ROBERT KURVITZ
ZA/UM
MARIA REINUP
ZA/UM
CHRIS AVELLONE

I cry every tiem when I remember that Latvia won't be part of some great Eastern European Civilisation because we lack the required jewish quota :negative:

Kuattro

Augur

d00d

Everything is political.

It's just that if you think it's not political, you're unaware of your politics -- which means you're mindlessly regurgitating whatever politics your environment fed you. That's almost always just predictable and dull.

Being aware of politics is not the same as deliberately injecting them in everything that moves.

It's like writing history. Being aware of your own biases, because you are not a fucking robot, doesn't mean you don't try to look at things with at least a modicum of impartiality.

And that's not even mentioning my main gripe, pretending that my way is really the only way, and everything else is mush.

Politics can allow for better stories, and "sending a message" can sometimes make a story truly great. Saying that if you are not trying for that you are just wasting your time (especially in entertainment) is stupid.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
You're making a game about a piece of shit deadbeat policeman in a hellhole district of a hellhole city, it's up to the player whether he'll solve the case (I assume there's one grand case that drives him, as in LA Noire) and how he will solve it, ending up as a bum yet again or perhaps raising to glory

Why would a policeman engage in political activities at all? To infiltrate certain agenda-driven communities? Then there's the risk of going native, sure, but it's not like he's bound to go native against all odds
When you're a cop you partake in the political dance - you're bound to. You'll stay a beat cop in a shit district or end up in the darkest office until the end of your days if you ignore who you're working for and what you're supposed to enforce.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom