Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

X-Rebirth

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Been looking to try this, as i never played any games from the series. Good discussion .

I'll post my impressioms when I play it. Any must have mods for X Rebirth?

Boring shit. Don't waste your time...

Check the official forums, but you can just play as it is and look for mods afterwards. Let us know your thoughts after playing.

LOL this dickhead dares to suggest I like shitty games when he likes Space Paint Drying Simulator....Can't make this shit up! :lol:

To quote Zarniwoop:

Who the fuck's alt are you?

Dildolos, mah nigga. No-one else could possibly shill this much for shitgames.

Ive been a member since 1999 and have played through each of their games. Rebirth is good fun. Deal with it. Or play X3 or whatever.

And no Rebirth is not wasted energy, as I am sure they will incorporate many things from it to X4, including the engine most likely.

Give it a try it's not free! :lol:
Another retard post by our resident retard. Probably also hasnt played the game. Too many dumbfuks round here.

You're the cunt with the tag. :lol:
possibly_retarded.png

Oh and I played it, that's why I know it's a boring piece of shit game.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Been looking to try this, as i never played any games from the series. Good discussion .

I'll post my impressioms when I play it. Any must have mods for X Rebirth?

Boring shit. Don't waste your time...

Check the official forums, but you can just play as it is and look for mods afterwards. Let us know your thoughts after playing.

LOL this dickhead dares to suggest I like shitty games when he likes Space Paint Drying Simulator....Can't make this shit up! :lol:

To quote Zarniwoop:

Who the fuck's alt are you?

Dildolos, mah nigga. No-one else could possibly shill this much for shitgames.

Ive been a member since 1999 and have played through each of their games. Rebirth is good fun. Deal with it. Or play X3 or whatever.

And no Rebirth is not wasted energy, as I am sure they will incorporate many things from it to X4, including the engine most likely.

Give it a try it's not free! :lol:
Another retard post by our resident retard. Probably also hasnt played the game. Too many dumbfuks round here.

You're the cunt with the tag. :lol:
possibly_retarded.png

Oh and I played it, that's why I know it's a boring piece of shit game.

I wouldnt expect a retard to enjoy a game like Rebirth anyway. Stick to candy crush or something.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've continued to play the last genuine X game, Albion Prelude, over the course of the past few weeks.

I obtained the Xenon Hub, a Dyson Sphere-like structure containing a control station and three pairs of jumpgates. Each pair can be aligned to a normal set of jumpgates in the universe, interposing the Xenon Hub between those gates. For example, entering the south jumpgate of the Althes sector will normally lead to the north jumpgate of the Megnir sector:

2348ea143e.png

...but if a Hub pair is aligned to that connection instead, then ship traffic must move through the Xenon Hub to reach Megnir from Althes, and vice versa. In this way, new trade routes can be created, travel times between regions can be reduced, and you can get up to mischief such as connecting pirate and Xenon sectors to faction sectors.

3e1db168ce.png

In the screenshot of the Hub you can see my friends, the Yaki. I built my Player Headquarters in Weaver's Tempest, the Yaki core sector, and connected the Xenon Hub to the Weaver's Tempest/Senator's Badlands gate pair. They're a pirate clan and are valuable friends to have, because they act as a free, infinite "police force" both for my HQ and for the Hub, saving me a lot of credits. Weaver's Tempest is an exceptionally isolated, out-of-the-way sector anyway; no one fucks with me there.

598784d410.png

I expanded my fleet considerably a while back by purchasing ten tricked-out Terran Hayabusa superfreighters at great expense, each piloted by Logisticians. They buy low and sell high in designated areas, or simply move materiel around my nascent empire.

313c565372.png

cc58254c6c.png

The Terran Player HQ is huge. In the first shot you can see a silver Ariadne-class frigate docked at a capital ship berth; the second shot shows my Millennium Falcon-sized Springblossom corvette in the very center and close to the station for scale.

1bfec9908d.png

e41b80f950.png

I'm currently in the process of building weapon factory complexes for residual income. When I'm through with the first batch, between the complexes and my trading Hayabusas I'll be making about 20m credits per hour just by sitting around on my ass. After that, I'll begin building self-sufficient drone, weapon, missile, and shield complexes to supply my own battle fleets. I've also got a company of handpicked Marines in training whom I'll use in exciting, profitable boarding operations in the near future.

Thane Solus

Arcane
I used STO and captured 4 sectors, some pirates and one xenon, and built a few complexes (1mj,SPP,Weed). Now i am trying to finish Shady Business make peace with Terrans so i can go rape them on my own and take all of their sectors.

Yaki is where i go to capture some ships to recyle or sell :)))

Also i am not sure if you are aware Blaine, but the mission generator takes 30-40% of your fps. If you dont do generic mission, just add an empty file named 3.01 Generic Missions.xml into x3tc/addon/director folder, and watch how you gain 20 fps. That if you are struggling with the fps, i did on a i7 with 8 gb ram and 460gtx, cause the game is buggy as shit. Also affinity to one real proc, like CPU 0, could improve the smoothness of the game.

Some of the mods i use:

STO - conquer sectors, populate them with the races you want and factories you want (type), pretty dam cool, tho the raids from the former sector owners are a bit disapointing.
IEXb - for new backgrounds
Some scripts that i use to delete all the rocks in the universe
A script to delete any object i want - useful for asteroids and other things
Improved Boarding
Marine Repair ship while on them or with target assigned
Energy Cell Generator for M6 and UP.
PHQ custom timers - i modified the time it takes to built something /10 or more
X3 ap no steam exe
ADS carrier software - for managing and equipping carriers and wings.
Lower poly tubes for plexes.
EnhancedBriefings
Custom Generic Missions - i removed most of the useless type of missions to improve the FPS by a lot (a bug since 2010, GG Egoshit!) - let me know if you want this file.
Bounce of course
Universe colored map - which i modify when i conquer a new sector
and Immersive GUI&Hude

Dont know how to remove the civilian cars tho, since the jobs system was updated, and the mods are not updated for this

Filthy Terran!:P (Argon here)

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm pretty sure they reduced the infamous mission lag, but it doesn't really matter to me anyway because the game runs at 140+ FPS constant on my G-Sync monitor. My computer parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZkWkBm Not even X3 can manage to run badly on this computer at such a late date. Of course there's still very minor hitching here and there when looking around any sector, but that's been the case on ALL of the PCs I've built from 2006-present, no matter the hardware or configuration. I'm sure you get the same thing.

I might use STO or something like it later on.

I can't use IEXb without starting a new game, which I'm not willing to do.

I almost certainly will grab Improved Boarding once my marines are trained up, because having to fight the fucking UI is fake difficulty, fake and gay.

I don't like any of the repair mods, because they feel like cheating. Yeah, it's fucking annoying having to practically pay the purchase price of a ship to repair it, but then again automobiles can be totaled without being totally destroyed, so it makes sense.

Energy Cell Generator... seems a bit cheat-y to me, although mostly for convenience. Not that I care what anyone else does in their game, mind you.

You know, I think I will get that PHQ custom timer. Waiting FIVE FUCKING DAYS' WORTH OF REAL-LIFE HOURS FOR ONE SHIP TO BUILD IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. You already have to get blueprints and a shitload of materials, that's just silly.

Screw low-poly tubes, I use Gazz' Complex Cleaner to just crush all that shit into a fucking cube.

Game's unplayable without Bounce.

Don't give a shit about coloring the universe map, since I mostly just use Scorp's Map anyway.

I'm working my way back into the Argon good graces by blowing up Xenon and Pirates in Getsu Fune and Black Hole Sun, mainly because those faggots are everywhere in the whole universe and it fucks up my FoF settings.

Thane Solus

Arcane
I'm pretty sure they reduced the infamous mission lag, but it doesn't really matter to me anyway because the game runs at 140+ FPS constant on my G-Sync monitor. My computer parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZkWkBm Not even X3 can manage to run badly on this computer at such a late date. Of course there's still very minor hitching here and there when looking around any sector, but that's been the case on ALL of the PCs I've built from 2006-present, no matter the hardware or configuration. I'm sure you get the same thing.

I might use STO or something like it later on.

I can't use IEXb without starting a new game, which I'm not willing to do.

I almost certainly will grab Improved Boarding once my marines are trained up, because having to fight the fucking UI is fake difficulty, fake and gay.

I don't like any of the repair mods, because they feel like cheating. Yeah, it's fucking annoying having to practically pay the purchase price of a ship to repair it, but then again automobiles can be totaled without being totally destroyed, so it makes sense.

Energy Cell Generator... seems a bit cheat-y to me, although mostly for convenience. Not that I care what anyone else does in their game, mind you.

You know, I think I will get that PHQ custom timer. Waiting FIVE FUCKING DAYS' WORTH OF REAL-LIFE HOURS FOR ONE SHIP TO BUILD IS FUCKING RIDICULOUS. You already have to get blueprints and a shitload of materials, that's just silly.

Screw low-poly tubes, I use Gazz' Complex Cleaner to just crush all that shit into a fucking cube.

Game's unplayable without Bounce.

Don't give a shit about coloring the universe map, since I mostly just use Scorp's Map anyway.

I'm working my way back into the Argon good graces by blowing up Xenon and Pirates in Getsu Fune and Black Hole Sun, mainly because those faggots are everywhere in the whole universe and it fucks up my FoF settings.

With the mission lag, they reduced it, but not fix it. I did a test at some point, i had 30-40 fps in a system, made that file blank, i was up to 50-60 fps in that system on 3.1a...

PHQ you can only modify before you deploy it :( So you are kind stuck with those awfull build times. But you can modify the second one before you deploy it (from the plots), since i saw it has different timers and capacity.

The repair system in this game is retarded, so thats why i used those marines. I would prefer some repair ships and what not, but ...Egosoft. Energy is for convenience, i usually add it when i already have money, so no reason to fuck around with that, traders still need it tho.

And yeah without Bounce, there is no fucking game... So fucking retarded.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, I can always get a station repack mod (I know such a mod exists) or a cheat script to redeploy the PHQ (or clone it, whatever) for the purpose of "fixing" the build timer.

There are ships that can install repair lasers in the turrets, even though technically the only one that actually exists in the game is in the player's EVA suit. I imagine there's a script/mod to add or purchase more repair lasers. You could then have several repair ships with multiple lasers doing repairs. I don't necessarily agree that the repair system is bad; you have to take ships to the shipyard and pay a fuckton of credits to repair them, which is fairly realistic actually. Of course the repairs happen instantly, which isn't very realistic, but hey.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What in the effing fucks is Bounce?

I am a longtime X fanboi, bought every single game at launch including the original but I am also a heterosexual and thus I have never used mods.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This is the figurative rebirth of the Stillbirth thread into a lively thread about a proper X game that isn't a piece of shit.

Thane Solus

Arcane
I am usually a purist too with the games, since most of the people make shit mods (lets change the whole game and make it some stupid star wars larp or w/e, see Floris Mod for MB), but some games are so broken that without mods, they wouldn't even worth mentioning as vaporware, and i am not talking about one man dev games...

I actually played X3 TC without mods, i think i finished half of the plots. Man when my fleets started to collide with themselves, fighters suicides on docking or merely just flying, i wanted to kill somebody. Then again beside plots they are few things to do high end, because there is no proper war (mods again), there is some economy a bit fake, but thats Egosoft, at least they consume and trade... Same thing happens now in X Rebirth, but worse, without CWIR, or whatever its called.

I played a bit Rebirth today, its looks good, moves well, good models and background, man that fucking highway system, these fucking retarded devs. Its one way only. So you have to go 300 miles if you station its a bit back in the zone, or manually, or ... I remember Freelancer having 2 ways, 16 years ago? Then i read about economy, and how ships are respawning to attack shit, barely anything dynamic on building and trading, ITS GREAT!

Triggered...

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Some elaborate and compelling arguments have been made about the pathfinding AI in the X games. The important point, and I believe it's a good one, is that Egosoft can't "cheat" nearly as much as other developers do with pathfinding AI, because:

• sectors are completely 3D, whereas although a first-person shooter (for example) is 3D, it mostly takes place on floors (i.e. a 2D plane)
  • stations aren't static; the game engine and the player can build/destroy stations, so pre-set paths for the AI to follow aren't an option
  • NPC traffic is dynamic, numerous, and unpredictable
  • ships don't start and stop on a dime (like a FPS avatar, for example), but often take a lot of time to accelerate, decelerate, and steer
  • in most games, there's no such thing as "collision damage"

Yet, all of this still begs the question: Given the above, why the fuck would you put collision damage in the game to begin with?

Modders can't even just turn it off without causing more issues, because missiles (and possibly even guns) depend on collision to work!

Litcube's Bounce works miracles, but it's essentially a "hack" of sorts, a shoehorned-in, purpose-built solution. It's still something Egosoft should have done on their own in some form, though.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
To be honest the collision detection never bothered me much apart from my own ship. Never lost a ship to collision that I can remember (again, apart from the one I'm in). But then I space out my factories properly, not cram the entrances together like it was laid out by fucking Moon Moon like I see on some forum screenshots.

A much bigger problem I have with the AI is the retarded combat system. If you're in system where a battle happens, your shiny, expensive Argon Titan will get rekt by a Xenon M6 despite absolutely outclassing it in every single way apart from maneuverability. Your fully pimped out Split M6 will get blown up by a pirate M3.

That's why when a wild pirate appears, I take it down myself or jump OOS and watch the enemy fleets melt away on the map instead.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
It must have been a long time since you've played any X games, because it sounds to me like you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. For example, the placement of your own factories should be the least of your worries in terms of collision issues. It's truly astounding that you've "never lost a ship to collision that you can remember," since not even a single ancient veteran on the X forums with 10,000+ posts who's written mods, elaborate in-depth guides, and clearly knows exactly what he's talking about could say the same.

IS/OOS matchups go both ways. If an enemy AI-controlled Xenon M6 can obliterate your AI-controlled Argon Titan IS, then guess what? Your Xenon M6 could also obliterate an enemy Argon Titan IS. The same is true of OOS. I find it more likely you're talking about the Xenon Q (M7) than an M6, because the Q has ludicrous firepower for a frigate. Furthermore, in what world should bigger always = better and maneuverability count for nothing?

Having said that, yes, there are quirks and foibles with X3's combat system. Again though, it sounds a bit like you just read some forum posts and blurbs somewhere but haven't actually played the game.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
It must have been a long time since you've played any X games, because it sounds to me like you don't have a fucking clue what you're talking about. For example, the placement of your own factories should be the least of your worries in terms of collision issues. It's truly astounding that you've "never lost a ship to collision that you can remember," since not even a single ancient veteran on the X forums with 10,000+ posts who's written mods, elaborate in-depth guides, and clearly knows exactly what he's talking about could say the same.

IS/OOS matchups go both ways. If an enemy AI-controlled Xenon M6 can obliterate your AI-controlled Argon Titan IS, then guess what? Your Xenon M6 could also obliterate an enemy Argon Titan IS. The same is true of OOS. I find it more likely you're talking about the Xenon Q (M7) than an M6, because the Q has ludicrous firepower for a frigate. Furthermore, in what world should bigger always = better and maneuverability count for nothing?

Having said that, yes, there are quirks and foibles with X3's combat system. Again though, it sounds a bit like you just read some forum posts and blurbs somewhere but haven't actually played the game.

Bitch please.

I have played all the games, a lot. I have put more hours into this series than anything else including the one MMORPG I play, Star Trek Online.

A long time ago, maybe. AP came out in 2011 for fucks sake. I played it up to about 2013. Or whenever this abomination was Stillborn onto the market. Never posted on the forums, I read some once or twice but generally avoided it because I have a pretty low tolerance for complaining autists (i know right, why am I on the Codex lolololol), you know, the kind of people who take all fun out of the game by metagaming it with Excel spreadsheets, maps apps, trade route calculators and whatnot.

In what world does maneuverability count for nothing? Why, the X Universe of course.

It's pretty easy to look up how the OOS combat is calculated. It works only on shield/hull strength and weapons DPS. Not speed (unless you take into account the speed at which the ship travels across the sector, that is calculated, but not in combat itself). Not maneuverability. Not weapons firing arcs (although there is some fixed number of guns per ship used iirc). Not even (crucially) the ship's generator. It assumes that weapons can continuously rain down death at peak firing rates until one of the ships explodes or jumps away. Definitely not the case if you are IS or in the fight yourself. Even IS, maneuverability doesn't mean all that much any more since X3 since weapons were greatly nerfed and shields boosted. In X2, a Centaur with fully outfitted with GHEPTS (or was it beta?) and fully charged could jump in, dodge the slow-ass shots being fired by an M2, get right up close and unleash a full barrage or 2, blowing up the battleship before its own shields were gone and then run away unscathed. In X3, not so much.

At least that's how it used to work. Who knows what strange changes have occurred in the past 3 or so years (that's like a century in millennial years).

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I don't give a shit if you played for thousands of hours. Some of your statements are factually incorrect and not reflected in the actual game mechanics.

Turjan

Arcane
Collision damage is a serious problem, yes. It's basically the reason why you can't enter a sector where you have big factories without losing faction rep. There's always some stupid ship hitting the connecting tubes or the sector guard M2 playing bounce on your Gazz cube. Same with wingmen who love doing suicide loops on your ship.

Weaver's Tempest is really one of the safest sectors imaginable. Those IBL forges need to be fed if you use any Commonwealth M7's.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
I don't give a shit if you played for thousands of hours. Some of your statements are factually incorrect and not reflected in the actual game mechanics.
Yep, always a good sign of honesty when someone starts saying "lolololololol ur wrong but I won't tell you why".

I'm happy to be corrected on the facts, but if you're going to try telling me about my game experience and which issues I encountered or did not, you can kindly blow it out your ass.

Collision damage is a serious problem, yes. It's basically the reason why you can't enter a sector where you have big factories without losing faction rep. There's always some stupid ship hitting the connecting tubes or the sector guard M2 playing bounce on your Gazz cube. Same with wingmen who love doing suicide loops on your ship.

Weaver's Tempest is really one of the safest sectors imaginable. Those IBL forges need to be fed if you use any Commonwealth M7's.

Never been an issue for me but like I said I build my factory complexes properly, and usually in systems that are mostly empty. There was one unnamed sector in X3 just outside Teladi space, built most of my big complexes there. I believe in later patches they gave it a name and made it so you can buy it but I stopped playing before then. Avarice I think they called it based on the Wiki.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I'm happy to be corrected on the facts, but if you're going to try telling me about my game experience and which issues I encountered or did not, you can kindly blow it out your ass.

I've already told you why.

If you experienced few or no collisions during your thousands of hours playing the game, then you clearly skipped out on some very major activities, such as commanding a multi-class fleet in-sector. It is LITERALLY IMPOSSIBLE to run a large fleet without racking up collisions, especially without Bounce running.

You keep talking about "building your factory complexes properly," but no one's talking about freighter collisions with asteroids, stations, tubes, or anything else.

If you claim to have run large fleets and avoided collisions then you are a liar and a retard, full stop. Can't be done, has never happened, literally (not figuratively, but literally) impossible.

That's not even counting boarding operations. Avoiding collisions in normal combat is one thing, but unless you skipped boarding entirely, you HAVE been rammed while boarding. Any other option means you're lying, although why is beyond me.

I believe in later patches they gave it a name and made it so you can buy it but I stopped playing before then. Avarice I think they called it based on the Wiki.

Yes, you could buy Avarice at auction for 700m credits.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
Ok, general question. I heard finally, after 3 years, version 4.0 was released and the game is not only playable but also pretty decent.

Was it lies? Did anyone try it? Worth picking up from bargain bin?

Raapys

Arcane
I tried it again half a year ago or so. Only gave it an hour, because until that point everything was still the same shit I remembered. Maybe there are improvements I didn't get to see in the economical/production/military aspects, but that doesn't matter as long as the base gameplay is still garbage.

The design mistakes are just too big to be fixed by patches and mods alone. I fear they'll ultimately prove too big to be fixed by a sequel too, given that Egosoft's sequels are generally just big patches without radical changes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom