Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Reinhardt

Arcane
Just looking at how this blue thing walking gave me cancer.

Lazing Dirk

Arcane

And then compare that to what is basically the same scene in Mass Effect 2

The dialogue and voice acting made Shepard sound genuinely drunk, the barman had actual cocktail mixing animations, when he passes out you get a first person animation of him falling to the floor, then a bonus scene of him waking up in the bathroom while your squad looks on.

ME:A doesn't even show the guy pouring the drink (probably because they couldn't get it to look even remotely correct), Ryder sounds fine, and all you get at the end is a fixed third-person view of him falling over.

They made that scene worse in almost every way. It's barely even worth including in that state.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Psst... The Witcher 3 isn't all that great either.

It kinda makes me worried about the future. I know Witcher 3 is already been hailed as the best RPG of all time on Reddit and whatever, and this will push that game into godhood. But damn, if I don't find that game lacking. MMO loot, level-scaling, Batman fighting, follow the mini-map questing and a bloated world filled with random stuff that has no real meaning. The animations in the cutscenes are good I guess, but that can't be all right? Remember also, the game got a lot of flack for imprecise movement control that it took them a few months to fix.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Was there discussion over music? Do you like it? Doesn't feel good for me, pretty boring, I hoped Andromeda will deliver at least in music.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
level-scaling, Batman fighting, follow the mini-map questing and a bloated world filled with random stuff that has no real meaning
Witcher has level scalling? Quests and weapons have level restrictions, so I thought they don't. Combat is considered good not by many, mostly they say it's average. Or even bad.
As far as I know you can't say world is full of random stuff, how do you define "random stuff"? Weapons, armors, many texts scrolls, books or simply interesting places.
What game has world with stuff that has real meaning? Gothic didn't have more "meaning" than witcher, nor did skyrim.

Freddie

Savant
The AI in your head is your mom, who also captured the memories of your dead dad and stuck them in your head and the rest of the game is just an uncanny valley illusion hence all the glitches and bad animation and all your really doing is playing the part of the other twin trapped in cryosleep having a dream about being your other twin and you end up banging the other twin in cryosleep and the immaculate conception creates the big bang which pours out through the galaxy and the mass relay and restarts the universe...

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

They really did this?

I can't believe it... Or I can, it's BW after all but still. Imagine having your parents stuck in your head and sharing everything with them. Uh...
And they have sexual encounters in game, so you have sex with someone... So isn't like voyerism or group sex?

'OMG this was one of the most important happenings in my life. I'm so happy I could share it with you mom and pop.'

Jesus this is some twisted stuff. Who the hell thought this would be a good idea?

You goofball, ffs did you think I was being serious:lol:...

...Wait...Hol up...You actually thought about having sex with your twin while your parents watched on in your own mind?

picgifs-disgust-710548.gif
No, I just made a sort of random checklist while reading some pre-release material posted in this thread few weeks ago.

Surely there are just usual people getting playing ME:A like they play anything but let's be real here. Huge part of the community around this franchise would 'romance' blob of grey goo if it's NPC that talks and can be interacted with. Then share terrible fan fiction and pictures how they have a family with it on their whatever social media platform they are using at these days.

It was purely for comedy value, but with this company, who the hell knows. Would make great meme though, Kinda reaching the top of economical approach, go on vacation to Thailand and take your own kids with you. So in this scenario parents go to Andromeda... well, you get the picture.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
ME:A doesn't even show the guy pouring the drink (probably because they couldn't get it to look even remotely correct), Ryder sounds fine, and all you get at the end is a fixed third-person view of him falling over.

They made that scene worse in almost every way. It's barely even worth including in that state.
It reminds me of that video comparing Dead Rising 1 and 4. Maybe someone will make one about Mass Effect too. I think there will be material for it.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
level-scaling, Batman fighting, follow the mini-map questing and a bloated world filled with random stuff that has no real meaning
Witcher has level scalling? Quests and weapons have level restrictions, so I thought they don't. Combat is considered good not by many, mostly they say it's average. Or even bad.
As far as I know you can't say world is full of random stuff, how do you define "random stuff"? Weapons, armors, many texts scrolls, books or simply interesting places.
What game has world with stuff that has real meaning? Gothic didn't have more "meaning" than witcher, nor did skyrim.

I remember running into some bandits that looked like the bandit I fought ten minutes ago but these guys bested me like I was nothing. Just random map markers all over, something to activate, something to check off on the map.

Freddie

Savant
They were because they were a collective conscience, they have a completely alien mentality simply because a Geth is a Geth, they dont seem to have much understanding for individuality even Legion only gained some because the Geth that made Legion operated for too long.

It always seemed like they put genuine effort into writing Legion's dialogue and tried to make the Geth actually interesting and unique in ME2.

Legion: The heretics accepted their technology. The Old Machines offered to give us our future. The geth will achieve our own future.
Shepard: What difference does it make how you acquire a certain technology?
Legion: Technology is not a straight line. There are many paths to the same end. Accepting another's path blinds you to alternatives. Nazara — Sovereign — said this itself. "Your civilization is based upon the technology of the mass relays. Our technology. By using it, your society develops along the paths we desire."

Shepard: Do geth have a government?
Legion: Not as you understand it. We are all geth. We build consensus.
Shepard: Most governments do.
Legion: Organic governments impose consensus. From a single point of view in autocracies. By codifying the most broadly acceptable average of views in democracies.
Shepard: So what makes the geth different?
Legion: Data is shared between geth. All viewpoints are considered. Consensus is achieved as data is disseminated.

Whether they succeeded or not is a matter of opinion, but at least an effort appears to have been made. How did they get from this to "Tee hee you're cute. My face is tired."? Surely at some point along the line someone should've noticed what utter dross they were putting out. Yes, ME2 had some shit dialogue too, but it seems like literally everything we see of Pannedromeda's dialogue is absolutely abysmal, and that's not even taking the voice acting into account.
Yeah, that was my impression as well. IIRC Chris E'toile (spelling?) was who wrote Geth.

Riso

Arcane
They already dropped the ball about the Geth in ME3 when they suddenly went "WE HAVE TO MERGE INTO ONE LIKE THE REAPERS".

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
rationalizing-rpg.jpg

raesha

Educated
To a degree it does. E.g city guards will always be about 10 levels higher than Geralt.

Freddie

Savant
Animations and bugs aside, what bothers me most about Andromeda is the spotty story premise, the generic "Kett" Dominion-esque enemy, writing like "My face is tired," and strange delivery of dialogue. [...]
Some voice acting sounds really weird to me as well (what I'v heard from videos). It's also appears like it's inconsistent, main characters appear to have better flow, or delivery than crew members. Some of it sounds like it's either pieced together from various takes, or there is synthesis involved. If it's the latter It's pretty interesting achievement from technical (and budget) point of view.

Of course it might be just terrible direction of voice cast and / or terrible mess where they have needed to cannibalise parts dialogue together from whatever they have because script delivered to VA:s didn't match the script that went to final script.

i don't understand all this excitement over this trainwreck of a disaster of a disgrace of a videogame.
videogames are my hobby, probably yours too, it's how i spend most of my time, probably you do too, and we don't get an endless supply of endlessly budgeted games to play with, we get supreme shit like ass effect andromerda* (*: funny trivia, "andro" comes from the greek and means "man" while "merda" means "shit" in italian, so "andromerda" could mean "human shit") instead of potentially anything else. we got this shit and nothing else. millions and years of work have been wasted into this chance at an excellent game that we'll never see because the blame will go on the market, us, surely not on whoever produced this abortion of a failure.
if cyberpunk fails, sci-fi games are gone for good.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
To a degree it does. E.g city guards will always be about 10 levels higher than Geralt.

That's only for guards. I think that has been done to avoid having the player destroy Redanian and Nilfgaardian forces and thus creating a situation to which a proper consequence could not be created.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom