Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Ys series

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Yeah - that is something that bothered me too when I moved from Napsihtim to Felghana. The game in general feels more generic, with "Forest area", "Lava area", "Ice area", so on and so forth. This was doubly apparent when compared to Napishtim's "Weirdness": tropic jungle - into ancient ruins - into even more ancient techno-remains of a past civilization.. That shit stuck with you!

However, I still think Felghana's soundtrack, gameplay and bosses are far more enjoyable than Napishtim's.

Archibald

Arcane
Same here, thou I can understand how someone might not like it if they are not a fan of "patterns".

Arthandas

Liturgist
However, I still think Felghana's soundtrack, gameplay and bosses are far more enjoyable than Napishtim's.
Soundtrack - maybe. It's the least important part of the game though none of them come close to arranged Chronicles tracks which I listen to even outside the game.
Gameplay - I don't know. Both games are similar in terms of raw movesets. I guess Felghana IS slightly better, you have dash, double jump and potions dropped by enemies which encourage aggressive playstyle to stack bonuses. Still, those are rather minor improvements which don't really change the way you play the game compared to Napishtim.
Bosses - Heeeeeeeeeelllllll no! Napishtim bosses actually required skill and were quite tough.

Now add the boring levels, lack of exploration and generic town(s) with generic humans... I think even trash mobs were more interesting in Napishtim.

Now I'm afraid Origin will continue the decline and it will be the end of Ys for me.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Awww.. my friend, I am sorry to say that Origin is definitely more Felghana than Napishtim - and that it does even worse on the exploration front.

I know I enjoyed the fuck out of it, but seeing the reasonings you mentioned for preferring Napishtim.. well, it doesn't bode well.

Still, try it and see.

In any case, I am glad you enjoyed a part of the series.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Well, Origin is more of linear dungeon crawl. You don't have any towns to visit or stuff like that. Of course, the stages themselves are all pretty big.. but they're about the same as what you'd see in Felghana.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Judging from the first 2 floors and the first boss, I'm already enjoying Origin more than Felghana. I won't lie, the second trip to suddenly larger Darm Tower has a sentimental value :) (slightly diminished by inferior tracks compared to Chronicles' Darm Tower)

Also, lol Vagullion. Dude, I already killed you on nightmare in Ys I, now you're just sad.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I gave up... I watched everything after the abandoned mines on YouTube out of curiosity and I have zero regrets (sadly).

Jack Dandy

Arcane
That is a weird deal! I and many others consider Felghana to be the best in the series.
That you would prefer Origin over it is very strange!

But, oh well.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
I think it's actually shorter than Felghana.. But it does have better replay value due to the 3 characters.

Arthandas

Liturgist
That is a weird deal! I and many others consider Felghana to be the best in the series.
That you would prefer Origin over it is very strange!

But, oh well.
Well, most people suggested me to skip Chronicles which I consider to be the best Ys so far :)
Though Ys I is like a handicapped baby swallowing lego blocks compared to it's older brother but I love them both.
Because they're my children.

ps: I don't know if I like Origin yet, I'm still at the beginning

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I would have loved Origin if it didn't fucking CRASH every fucking time as I was about to reach the True Final Boss after defeating the regular one on Nightmare difficulty already

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Ys VIII is releasing in NA on Sept 12 and in Europe on Sept 15.

http://www.dualshockers.com/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-receives-western-release-date/

650813ac4a.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom