Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium Pre-Release Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Naw, you´re right. all I've got from gamedev in the last two years are chronic back pain and some saucy PMs from Codexers - you know who you are

:mixedemotions:

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
chronic back pain
Looks like you have problem with proper chair and table for work?
This is very important things if your work includes sitting oin chair 24/7.
I was being stupid as well. I've never sat in one place for so long staring at a screen than during No Truce's production. It's important to take shorter breaks several times a day and take vacations seriously not use the off time to work on other projects instead...

ntonystinson

Scholar
So I just saw the new devblog( the one about a wheelchair) and the screenshot showing the HUD and I have just one question: Are we going to be able to create a different face for our PC because the current one is seriously off putting. One of the things I love about an RPG is being able to personalise a character and that includes looks. I was able to overlook the lack of customisation in the Witcher because Geralt is still okay looking but this guy is just... I wouldnt be able to roleplay as this guy, atleast try adding different character portraits

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
So I just saw the new devblog( the one about a wheelchair) and the screenshot showing the HUD and I have just one question: Are we going to be able to create a different face for our PC because the current one is seriously off putting. One of the things I love about an RPG is being able to personalise a character and that includes looks. I was able to overlook the lack of customisation in the Witcher because Geralt is still okay looking but this guy is just... I wouldnt be able to roleplay as this guy, atleast try adding different character portraits
You´re welcome to mod the face to suit your tastes.

ntonystinson

Scholar
So only one portrait?

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
So only one portrait?
Nope - more than one portrait.

Fairfax

Arcane
For Games to Evolve They Need to Get Political

ROBERT KURVITZ
ZA/UM
MARIA REINUP
ZA/UM
CHRIS AVELLONE

The next step in creating big narratives for video games can not be made without political side-taking. There is no such thing as great apolitical writing. It is a responsibility of writers which they take upon themselves. They choose a side and fight it. We see it in literature but there is very little overt side-taking in video game narratives. Games have pussy-footed around political issues. How do we get beyond mere indications, on to real political side-taking and after that to offering solutions?

"video games can not be made without political side-taking"
"responsibility of writers"
"no such thing as great apolitical writing"
"responsibility of writers which they take upon themselves"
"choose a side and fight it"
"How do we get beyond mere indications, on to real political side-taking"
"offering solutions"

What the actual fuck? I hope MCA didn't echo that sort of thinking in the panel. It's so wrong that I can't even...:negative:

Kudos to the developers for being so cunning, though. They've successfully tricked most of the Codex into hyping what sounds like a glorified political message.

Rev

Arcane
Maybe they just mean that games should shy away from complicated issues and topics and that authors are free to bring their perspective on various matters. I don't think they mean it in the SJW/BioWare/Amber Scott way of "white men are evil" or "if you don't agree you're sexist/racist", though (well, hopefully that's not what they mean), nor that they want every game to be political.

KILLER BEAR

Educated
Maybe they just mean that games should shy away from complicated issues and topics and that authors are free to bring their perspective on various matters. I don't think they mean it in the SJW/BioWare/Amber Scott way of "white men are evil" or "if you don't agree you're sexist/racist", though (well, hopefully that's not what they mean), nor that they want every game to be political.

video games can not be made without political side-taking
no such thing as great apolitical writing

Fairfax

Arcane
They criticize games for "pussy-footing around political issues", so they're criticizing the games for not taking a side, not for shying away from these topics. They want games to have "overt side-taking" in order to "evolve", and after that also "offer solutions".

It's worth noting that what they're defending in that summary contradicts what MCA has been defending or writing since PS:T. He's been very vocal about how games should explore themes and raise questions that players themselves should answer. This is why I assume (or perhaps just hope) he didn't defend these claims in the actual panel. It'd mean a significant change of heart and design philosophy, and none of his previous interviews suggest that.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Have we even had "evil" companions as of late? Durance is the only one that comes to mind (and I wouldn't say he's evil), even Tyranny doesn't have one.

How was Verse and Siren not evil? Siren killed her own unborn brother in a horrific manner by brainwashing him with her song to prematurely exit the womb, and then feigned ignorance about it to her parents, even though she knew exactly what she was doing. Her and Verse both seem like bona fide sociopaths in the most literal sense. Verse was also cruel to animals by killing the pet bird from her farm and wearing its feathers as a headdress, so she would incur the wrath and the fury of Sawyer.

:timetoburn:

The Beastwoman hunts, kills, and eats people so arguably she is evil as well, but gets somewhat of a pass because she's a savage beast and this sort of behavior is to be expected of her. Barrick Hussein Obama also does evil without question, but it is a banal sort of evil, like Adolph Eichmann. So I think a better question wouldn't be "what companion in Tyranny is evil?"; rather, "which companion in Tyranny wasn't evil?" And that would probably be the Scholar dude, or Eb... maybe. Everyone else was evil in one way or another. But above all, I think Verse is the worst, along with Siren. Anyone in the Scarlet Chorus is necessarily evil, and these two ladies excelled in that organization. They didn't become that way by being good, that's for sure.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So only one portrait?
Nope - more than one portrait.
Wait. Like, multiple different guys to choose from, or one guy with multiple states? (Wounded, Sleepy, Fascist, etc.)

Rev

Arcane
They criticize games for "pussy-footing around political issues", so they're criticizing the games for not taking a side, not for shying away from these topics. They want games to have "overt side-taking" in order to "evolve", and after that also "offer solutions".

It's worth noting that what they're defending in that summary contradicts what MCA has been defending or writing since PS:T. He's been very vocal about how games should explore themes and raise questions that players themselves should answer. This is why I assume (or perhaps just hope) he didn't defend these claims in the actual panel. It'd mean a significant change of heart and design philosophy, and none of his previous interviews suggest that.
I misinterpreted their sentences probably, then.
I don't know, I can understand wanting to face and debate some political and/or controversial issues in games as well as in other media, but the notion that good writing has to be political is not one I agree with, nor do I think that every game should include political messages and the like.

I agree with your stance on MCA, it doesn't seem in line with his previous positions on the matter. He may have changed his mind, but I think it's more likely that those sentences were spoken by the other guys and not by him.

How was Verse and Siren not evil? Siren killed her own unborn brother in a horrific manner by brainwashing him with her song to prematurely exit the womb, and then feigned ignorance about it to her parents, even though she knew exactly what she was doing. Her and Verse both seem like bona fide sociopaths in the most literal sense. Verse was also cruel to animals by killing the pet bird from her farm and wearing its feathers as a headdress, so she would incur the wrath and the fury of Sawyer.
Verse is evil, ok, but Sirin? Really?
She's just a little girl who've grown up under very difficult conditions and almost all her "evil acts" you are speaking of were not intentional, or if they were she was like 5 at the time and couldn't really understands what she was doing.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
More like the latter. In that sense we're blatantly like the Torments - you play a character. Your choices determine what that character is.

Prime Junta

I wouldnt be able to roleplay as this guy, atleast try adding different character portraits

You will be playing a terminally alcoholic failure, a complete disgrace of a police officer. What do you want him to look like, Clark Gable?

(It would be cool though if you're able to sober up and get a haircut, with options for beard styles depending on your political identity.)

Kell.jpg
Leon+Trotsky.jpg
seweudbnonxw3pgq2a4z.jpg
sg9vL32.jpg
main-qimg-67b9ed0139aa31007f2687caa3cdc98f
obama-hitler-mustache.jpg

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
There are already two states of that portrait - when all the hundreds of portraits, that we need for the game, are finished - we'll go back and see how we can spice things up.

Sadly art is subjective and there will always be players who won't like how this or that was done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom