Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Martius

Liturgist
Option to save game opens up after finishing whole first section which may take same time so maybe trying that on easy is good idea.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
is there a way to get this game running on native resolution instead of upscaled? it looks turd-ish.

gameplay is fucking top notch tho. i already use borderless gaming

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
is there a way to get this game running on native resolution instead of upscaled? it looks turd-ish.

Some resolutions seem bugged. It works fine here @1920x1200 with borderless.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm trying to make some avatars for this game, but, so far, I've only come up with shit. :argh:

Any opinions? I rely on google to get pics because it's a bitch to screenshot on the PS4 and transfer to the PC (actually, it isn't, I'm just lazy).

The bottom left one looks nice.

Bit the bullet and made a D1P btw... First time in a longer while. In Potatoland ťhe box is a bit cheaper then Steam (but not as cheap as localised games).
But still await the delivery. .. And now the physical version is not available anymore.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Some resolutions seem bugged. It works fine here @1920x1200 with borderless.
uuh 1440p looks kinda crap here.

it runs fine because i guess my 1080 brute forced it practically.

the game is super good so far i can set aside the technical issues >__>

fuck i love this so much

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What do we think about the pacing?

I mean, the prologue was all action and cracked along at a nice pace. Easy trash mobs, but good variety and a couple of impressive boss fights.

But then it opens up down on Earth and the pace just seems to drop off a cliff. I know it's early days, but so far it's just been running around collecting glowies on the floor and taking out easy groups of 4-6 mobs with a few sword swings. I've just cleared the mobs in the desert and I'm really hoping things are going to liven up soon. Every game needs some downtime, but this is getting a bit, dare I say, dull.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What do we think about the pacing?

I mean, the prologue was all action and cracked along at a nice pace. Easy trash mobs, but good variety and a couple of impressive boss fights.

But then it opens up down on Earth and the pace just seems to drop off a cliff. I know it's early days, but so far it's just been running around collecting glowies on the floor and taking out easy groups of 4-6 mobs with a few sword swings. I've just cleared the mobs in the desert and I'm really hoping things are going to liven up soon. Every game needs some downtime, but this is getting a bit, dare I say, dull.

Pacing is fine, it picks up as you progress the story even if the beginning, when you get to Earth is a bit dull and has a few MMO fetch quests. This is why I said the prologue is a tutorial/trap. It's designed to throw you off the bat in the deep end so you kind of know what expects you later on and adjust your expectations accordingly, so you don't throw a fit when some boss one shots you 50 millions times later on. Might be a questionable decision, but not a big problem.

edit:

:yeah:

Fuck that super sayan motherfucking asshole. Very satisfying impaling his ass, and on the first try. Now, gotta kill his bro too and I'll feel good. :smug:

Before Super Saiyan I turned it up to hard, after several deaths I turned it back to normal- This cannot continue!

Yeah, I enjoyed that fight and the story is hooking me as well. Does seem like normal is too easy and Hard is too hard though- guess I just need to git gud!

Puukko

Arcane
I'm at the opera boss now, want to get a good clean kill on hard so I can upload it.

Adam's got nothing on this guy, the fight's like 3x as long for starters.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
About 7 hours sunk into this game so far. It's really.. boring. My worst fears were that it'd be standard non-Bayonetta Platinum gameplay, which is slightly below mediocre. This manages to be worse. Enemies are designed to be unchallening punching bags and there's so much backtracking that it becomes a chore to do the side content due to the boring combat. Worse is when some normal enemy with immense HP bloat comes along. So far the weapons I've found are reskins with different stats but the same move sets. Music is really repetitive and utterly fails to hit the same energy and emotion that the OST in the first Nier had. So far none of the boss fights have impressed nor challenged me.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Sounds worrisome but isn't this kind of the case with all of the drakengard and nier games?
They all seem to have mediocre to bad game play,but interesting atmosphere/story?
I know platinum made the game but Taro was still the director.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
About 7 hours sunk into this game so far. It's really.. boring. My worst fears were that it'd be standard non-Bayonetta Platinum gameplay, which is slightly below mediocre. This manages to be worse. Enemies are designed to be unchallening punching bags and there's so much backtracking that it becomes a chore to do the side content due to the boring combat. Worse is when some normal enemy with immense HP bloat comes along. So far the weapons I've found are reskins with different stats but the same move sets. Music is really repetitive and utterly fails to hit the same energy and emotion that the OST in the first Nier had. So far none of the boss fights have impressed nor challenged me.
Are you again playing a Platinum game on Normal and going on about that it's not challenging enough despite what I said before in this thread? Crank that shit up to Hard, man.
HINT: Try switching weapon sets mid-combo, experiment what you can pull off with it.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Sounds worrisome but isn't this kind of the case with all of the drakengard and nier games?
They all seem to have mediocre to bad game play,but interesting atmosphere/story?
I know platinum made the game but Taro was still the director.

Previous games having mediocre gameplay is not an excuse. The whole point of getting Platinum to make the game was to make the game more fun, not less. I wasn't this bored with Nier because it had better pacing and the areas weren't as stretched out as they are in Automata, despite the combat system being slightly worse.

Are you again playing a Platinum game on Normal and going on about that it's not challenging enough despite what I said before in this thread? Crank that shit up to Hard, man.
HINT: Try switching weapon sets mid-combo, experiment what you can pull off with it.

Again? Wot you on about mate? I'm playing it on Hard, just like any other Plat game. This is easy as shit even for their standards.

Puukko

Arcane
A few silly mistakes here but I did it:

:salute:

Jesus, that fight sucked. I died in that last stage of the fight like crazy, the bitch kept sending out all those concentric circles that were damned hard to evade.

Having +hp circuits made it so I could just about survive one hit from those.

Thanks to the high resolution from PC screenshots I'm now 99% sure 2B doesn't have a vagina.
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

Neither did Kaine and she was all the better for it. :bounce:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Man, yesterday conspired against me to stop me from playing this, but I finally have been able to.

And witnessing midget robots in a desert sinkhole attempting to perform oral sex while saying "Love. Love. Love," just made it all worthwhile. Yoko Taro is a genius.

Suicidal

Arcane
A few silly mistakes here but I did it:

If there is one thing that really disappoints me about this game it's potion spamming. I've had the same problem in Metal Gear Rising. I think it takes a lot out of the game's challenge. For example, this fight looks impressive but every time you got hit in that video you just potioned yourself back up to full. And I noticed that you had like 60 recovery items on you during that fight. That's really absurd. And I'm not blaming you for doing it, I'm blaming the game for allowing players to do that.

As I said, it was the same thing in MGR. You're fighting some guy, getting really low on health, thinking how you're gonna get through his remaining 50% health. But then he starts throwing junk at you and you slice it up with your sword and from every piece of junk a potion comes out. Oh, phew, what a relief, I was getting worried that I would have to put some effort into finishing the fight but now I have 5 potions, which I don't even need to use because they get used themselves when you run out of health, so I can just keep running into the boss slashing him a few times, get hit myself, but I don't care because potions. The hardest part of MGR for me was actually the first few beginning segments because I was getting used to the controls and didn't have a stockpile of potions yet.

And I know some people might say "well then don't use potions, you dingus" - but that's artificial difficulty. I hate that shit. That's the same as people saying "oblivion is a hard game, you're just playing it wrong, you have to drop your weapon when running away from enemies like you would do in real life" and other stupid shit like that.

I'm playing Dark Souls for the first time right now (yeah, look at me living under a rock) and I like how potions work in that game. You get a limited supply of them and there is a fucking drinking animation so you can't just heal yourself back to full hp with a single push of a button while being roasted in dragon fire. Why can't other action games do that? Enough with the fucking potions already, Platinum.

Just remembered that Dragon's Dogma also had this shit. Just open your inventory and stuff your gullet with raw fish and healing grass whenever things get dicey in order to avoid death. Fuck, I wish that game had a mechanic that would turn your character into a lumbering fatass if you pull that shit one too many times.

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
If there is one thing that really disappoints me about this game it's potion spamming. I've had the same problem in Metal Gear Rising. I think it takes a lot out of the game's challenge. For example, this fight looks impressive but every time you got hit in that video you just potioned yourself back up to full. And I noticed that you had like 60 recovery items on you during that fight. That's really absurd. And I'm not blaming you for doing it, I'm blaming the game for allowing players to do that.

If you're lazy you can equip a chip that will automatically heal you when you drop below 30% HP, plus it gives the healing item a bonus % making it a superior way of healing you than doing it manually yourself. Although in this case it is something that you can ignore since it's valuable skill points that could be spent on something more useful.

Suicidal

Arcane
Wish there was a chip that slightly buffs all your stats but forbids you from using potions, that would be cool.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
That would be kinda neat. I'd use it, although it seems to be pretty easy to cap yourself out with the chips that we already have available to us. The store bought chips are jank, but dropped ones take less space and if you fuse diamond chips you can make really powerful ones that take significantly less skill points so you can stack all the powerful ones without a problem.
Provided you're up for the farming. And hope you don't die and then die again while you're on your way back to your corpse. :troll:

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Just finished the prologue. Music, art and atmosphere are great. Gameplay is at least a major improvement over the first game and seems to have potential, I might have to change it to hard mode if the difficulty doesn't ramp up.

Puukko

Arcane
I have a feeling I'm getting outleveled at an increasing pace. I beat the opera boss who was level 15 when I was 10. Now I'm 13 or 14 and at the forest kingdom where the regular mobs are a full 10 levels ahead of me and one shot me. Did I skip something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom