Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Thane Solus

Arcane
You cannot made this up. Canada ... I have no words. I expected to be a pile of shit, but this, this is ... something else.

100/10

8CD64DF34.gif

Please tell your shareholders to check their privilege EA when they complain about losing money:lol:
Will it have Denuvo?
Bioware ha finally discovered the perfect copy protection: crap gameplay and a 40bg+ download size.

In the very first encounter on first planet i lost all the audio in game. No music, no sounds no voices. Restarting the game doesnt help
I had this in every fucking frostbite game to date, no surprise really.

It's like half of the workers rreally cared and did some great job (location design, locations, enviroment, combat)
Sort of like Inquisishit (minus the combat).

You create a new floor for shit games to crash to. Impressive.
With each release apparently.

Just to try and gauge how different ME:A would be if it was made by BioWare's main studio: how were the animations/story/quests in DA:I? Were they as bad as they apparently are in ME:A?
Not good (specially PC), but much better/Story: not bad, Writing: terrible/MMOish.

Hinterlands in Dragon Age: Inquisition for a Bioware example.
Wasn't Hinterlands the least MMOish part of the game? Perhaps it was smaller so it felt like that.

I want a LEGO Mass Effect now.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
Dia Lacina "The heroes are the apex of human exceptionalism."

What?!
This game should have been about a bunch of fictional alien species that should show us talking hairless apes on how it is done? Or perhaps be about aliens even that defend their home and go killing humans because #alienlivesmatter

For fuck sake, we don't even know if there are sapient alien species, and even if there are that there is even a dialogue possible between our two civilizations. Angels or Apes, they may be much less advanced than us or so advanced that they probably will accidentally step on us as they are busy engaging in celestial engineering, deciding that our solar system would make a good pile of materials they can use.
But in either case they might not even recognize us.

I think the person who wrote this is on a special diet of stupid, thinking fictional alien species are real.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
It will be discovered by the Kodex that it hides hidden complexities and a great deal of reactivity as well as many a possibility of "emergent gameplay". Also, it angered SJWs due to featuring a straight blonde party member.

Animals, my dear, are ever predictable, even the rabid ones.

When you start seeing patterns maybe it's time to stop.

Dia Lacina is a transgender, queer, Native photographer. She spends entirely too much time tweeting.

:M
Sounds like Trump.

Riso

Arcane
I was thinking about how I would write MEA and I came up with the following.

You arrive in a new galaxy. All your remote telescope pre-mission stuff unsurprisingly turns out to be useless. Instead of a stupid energy problem you get something more severe and realistic: food will run out if you don't find a world to settle. Over the game you will have to decide between waking up people to make you more capable to find a world or keep them asleep to conserve it. You will be able to create temporary fixes like produce disgusting protein sludge.

Anyway, you move out to explore the worlds and.. shit, it's all dextro-amino and not levo-amino based. Great for Turians but you aren't a Turian. In ME lore that means you will all starve unless you find a rare planet to match your physiology.

The whole game shall be exploration, discovery, meeting of new races and trying to barter for your survival. None of them are especially happy to find newcomers who want to set up shop. You can convince some but mostly try to avoid the wrath of other, more expansionist forces.

Just because levo-amino lifeforms are pretty unknown in that galaxy and you aren't really stealing viable planets to settle won't change the fact you have to show to be useful somehow to a larger empire. As the game progresses you find clues and remnants of other arks that already failed or barely manage to eke a living in a remote unclaimed area of space.

I would probably add that the Turians are doing fine and have managed to negotiate settlement rights with a minor power for warfare expertise. If only because I like the idea of scaly bird aliens. Also Garrus. RIP.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I definitely would have cut out the whole "On the first planet you arrive you run into soldiers working for a powerful alien civilization that are seeking the artifacts of a long disappeared Progenitor civilization", focusing more on the exploration part and making encountering other civilizations actually something exciting that just species no. ##

But as you go around, finding worlds for your people to colonize and set up settlements, some powerful civilization starts to become aware of you and especially the type of threat you could pose for their own expansion and ultimate goals even if you have no idea what that could possible be.

Most problems in the beginning would just be nasty alien lifeforms, dissent among your own ranks as some groups want to pursue their own agendas, and the occasional leftover autowar or alien raiding group.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
But when somebody brings up comparison to previous titles in level design and tries to bash Andromeda it's just pretentious. Hell, ME series has probably the worst level design I've seen in games.

So no, I'm not defending Bioware or Andromeda, but pointing out that they shat out turds of games before this one.

Maybe people who praise the old Mass Effect games while bashing MEA should put down their nostalgia glasses and go have a reality check by replaying them.
I don't think anyone here is praising previous Mass Effects' level design. Anyone sound of mind, anyways. Since KotOR, Bioware has turned-in corridor shooter design, along with the same companion personnality types. Since NWN, they copy-paste the go get the 4 parts of the macguffin in 4 different areas design. But no one can deny that when ME1 came out, it looked great, and facial animations were some of the best on the market. Writing was not good, but tolerable, minimally coherent / competent, there was the lulzy extreme renegade choices, even if quests reeked of "Oh hey stranger! Can you please fix my life and marriage and fetch me a couple of things I could get myself?"

But it looks like with MEA, they lost even that. Yeah, some will blindly praise the old ones, but it looks like they were indeed much better, even if badly designed all the same.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

OK SJWs gonna SJW but hiring a totally unqualified person for a technical position is too weird. Maybe the "lead facial animator" is basically some kind of mo-cap director with no technical skills required?

Do you think its not common that good looking women get positions they are completely unqualified for, just by being hot or sucking cock?

Parabalus

Arcane
OK SJWs gonna SJW but hiring a totally unqualified person for a technical position is too weird. Maybe the "lead facial animator" is basically some kind of mo-cap director with no technical skills required?

From the article:

download-1-5.jpg

Guess they know their audience.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I don't get "they gave it to people without knowledge" thing. Ok, they gave, but no one was curious how're they doing? There wasn't any super main lead major director that wanted to talk to them on skype every week/month or maybe a year to check the product? You can't say they didn't know, they are busy with new Drag Age, yeah, but they definitely could help them if thigns weren't right. Bioware must've known what's going on. Everyone knew. And still they let it go this way.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
You can hear entire video, but it's 0:40 when it gets :cool: They went full out with it
I wonder if we are prepared for this. Probably not.
:incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:

:incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline::incline:

What
the
fuck

I mean, really, what the fuck? I can't erase it from my memory now. I'm damaged.

Fuck you.

Is it really in the game?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Is it really in the game?
That's what people got from game's data files, no footage until release. You have to watch in-game it to regain peace.

Btw, I don't understand your hate on this. It's incline compared not only to previous mass effects, but to many rpgs.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom