Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix NieR: Automata from Yoko Taro and Platinum Games

Dayyālu

Arcane
So, any first impressions on the PC version? How's the framerate? Does it support M&K well or you're better off with a controller? I'm curious whether it's worth to switch to PC from the PS4.

+1

Tell me I need to know. It would have been a Day 1 buy but eeeeh....ports.

Is there already rule 34 on NieR?

Endless.

Jinn

Arcane
Instantly this game is amazing. I started on hard and have died 4 times already just in the opening sequence.

Performance is a little worrisome for me at the moment, but I haven't really had time to fiddle with how certain settings effect ingame performance yet, on account of getting my ass handed to me repeatedly. It's not unplayable by any means, but I'm not seeing where my dropped FPS are coming from really. My system is definitely showing it's age though: Geforce 760 GTX, 16gb RAM, and AMD Fx-8350 8-core processor. Interested to see what everyone else's experience with performance is.

Anyway, can't fucking wait to get done with work and play this all night. It's going to be great.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Found some screeno
mvzf_a_(11).jpg

o5yj_a_(5).jpg

h3n2_a_(4).jpg

Suicidal

Arcane
Tons of complaints about shittiness of port on Steam, like low FPS, crashes, graphical bugs, people unable to run the game on their super pro gamer leet 64 core 4 interlinked geforce titans spaceship computers.

Of course these are probably the same people who wrote that they could not play Just Cause 3 on the same machines while I managed to get it running with decent performance on my PC that was below the minimum requirements through a series of setting changes and .ini fixes.

How's the game running for you guys?

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Performance is pretty shit, especially considering how the game looks (the pre-rendered cutscenes are 30fps, in-engine ones are at 60 though). There's also a crash during the first miniboss fight 10 minutes into the game. Switching to windowed mode fixed that, for me at least. That seems to be pretty common, the Steam forum is already full of complaints.

Screenshots in the spoilers.

cI9Okxu.jpg

MDe64oO.jpg

v9swuCi.jpg

2ckGtcG.jpg

Sdzbb5o.jpg

Suicidal

Arcane
Meh, guess I'll abstain from D1P then, hope there will be some patches soon.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Had no crashes and performance is a rock solid 60fps for me, although tbh with a 1080 I'd sorta expect that. I'm running with 378.66 rather than the latest drivers as I read they were a bit of a mess.

The transition from 60 to 30 fps for the pre-rendered cutscenes is the most annoying thing so far, surprised they went with pre-renders.

Great game so far- just got past the prologue, (on the second time of asking, already got one ending!). Smooth, good combat, although trash mobs are very easy so far, unsurprisingly. Graphics are a bit of a mixed bag- char models are very good but backgrounds in the prologue anyway are giving me HL2 flashbacks. The music is great.

I can't imagine playing with KB & M though. There's heavy/light attacks, lock-on, drone shooting/ special attacks and evade all needing keys and that's before any consumables are factored in. I'd be interested to see how anyone with KB & M got on.

Definite :greatjob: so far.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
. Smooth, good combat, although trash mobs are very easy so far, unsurprisingly. Graphics are a bit of a mixed bag- char models are very good but backgrounds in the prologue anyway are giving me .

I assume you're playing on normal. Normal is actually easy, Easy is "game autoplays", Hard it's where it gets real. Something than takes a dozen hits to kill you on normal will need 2-3 shots to send you back to the loading screen on hard. Didn't try Very Hard yet, but I believe the game when it tells you that everything is instakill.

Correct. I'm in my 40's now and frankly I'm not too proud to admit my twitch skills are not what they were back when I held the high score in that 1942 shooter in my local arcade. Plus playing the prologue when there's no save in it on hard would be like hammering nails into my scrotum.

Normal is pretty easy yes, but I feel no shame in playing through the first time on normal. Hard and above for later on.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
so... how is that different from the western release? just pricing?

Apparently PS4 version is not out in Asia yet. So, I guess it's "you PC peasants don't dare play this before your local console masters taste it" edition.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Playing on borderless window (linked by someone else already) and having no framerate issues except for the aforementioned 30fps cutscenes (GTX960, i7-4790k, 16GB RAM). Game runs very smoothly.

KBM could be decent but I recommend using a gamepad unless they fix these 2 issues:
-As with most other 3rd person action games, there is no dedicated dodge-hotkey. You have to double-tap movement keys to dodge. Almost unplayable in a game that relies on dodging, counters and weaving in and out of fights constantly.
-You cannot re-map the D-Pad controls to single-hotkeys. D-Pad hotkeys control camera movement (which is really only used if you want to look up 2Bs skirt), you can only access the quick-menus with a modifier (Alt) for items/weaponswap/pod abilities which is a pain in the ass. Should be the other way around or just allow people to remap those quick-menus completely

Martius

Liturgist
KBM could be decent but I recommend using a gamepad unless they fix these 2 issues:
-As with most other 3rd person action games, there is no dedicated dodge-hotkey. You have to double-tap movement keys to dodge. Almost unplayable in a game that relies on dodging, counters and weaving in and out of fights constantly.
That sounds strange, I dont remember such strange change in their eariler pc ports. In Transformers Devastation dodge is still one button on keyboard. No idea about Rising since there dodge requries two buttons on gamepad, maybe its also two buttons on keyboard.

Jinn

Arcane
Holy fucking shit. For those who are playing hard and above....

Goddamn! I've spent 4 hours trying to get to first save point. I understand what the point of all this was, but I don't know if I can go any further. I don't feel like I can play through this first 30 minutes again, only to be one-hitted by the final boss of the section. I'm worried that if I switch to normal now it won't be enough of a challenge. How are you guys dealing with this?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Do the prologue on normal, switch to hard immediately after.

Pretty interesting interview with Yoko Taro about what he considers a happy ending, among other things, and his hatred for generic game-design.

When I was young, I had one wish from the bottom of my heart: "I wish all the useless and controlling elders of the gaming industry would die so I can create a game that I like!" Now that I have fulfilled my dream to "create a game that I like," there's not much left for me to do.
Here's to hoping Nier:Automata isn't his last RPG, his next game is gonna be a mobile-game though. :negative:

Puukko

Arcane
I'd recommend stepping down the difficulty for the prologue and then raising it back to hard once you can save. It's what I did.

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2

Goddamn! I've spent 4 hours trying to get to first save point. I understand what the point of all this was, but I don't know if I can go any further. I don't feel like I can play through this first 30 minutes again, only to be one-hitted by the final boss of the section. I'm worried that if I switch to normal now it won't be enough of a challenge. How are you guys dealing with this?

Got the white screen bug twice during the first boss on hard. Second time was when he was just a few hits away from going down:negative:
For those who don't know what the bug does, the entire screen goes white, yet the gameplay continues in the background. There's no way around it except restarting the game, leading to playing the 45 minute intro all over again.

Bit the bullet and lowered the difficulty, and the game let me get to the save point unscathed. No regrets. I'd rather not sour on the game because of the intro.

Puukko

Arcane

Got the white screen bug twice during the first boss on hard. Second time was when he was just a few hits away from going down:negative:
For those who don't know what the bug does, the entire screen goes white, yet the gameplay continues in the background. There's no way around it except restarting the game, leading to playing the 45 minute intro all over again.

Bit the bullet and lowered the difficulty, and the game let me get to the save point unscathed. No regrets. I'd rather not sour on the game because of the intro.
Get borderless gaming which I linked above, fixes the white screen issue.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
So I bought this, started playing on normal.

Progressed a bit, encountered double saws. Got killed. Game over, gg start from beginning.

Fine.

Halfway to the boss again, the game goes white screen, can't seem to fix it. No saves, so start from beginning again.

No thanks.

Refund: Y/n ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom