Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Seethe

Arbiter
Please stop linking from WorthADumbass. Seriously, this guy contradicts himself almost every single video. On one video he complains about X-Ray vision and gives it a thumb down, on the next video he gives thumbs up to Overwatch. On one video he complains about dumbed down gameplay, yet he praises Skyrim for its combat just because it's an FPS. He calls Dark Souls repetitive because all you have to do is dodge all the time, while thumbing up most FPS games even though you are supposed to do the same in them.

Why is this guy even a reviewer.

J1M

Arcane
Considering that the Ark ships took off during the events of ME2 if I'm not mistaken, the Genophage is also still in effect. So they brought a bunch of Krogans there... just to die out eventually?

Unless they explain in-game that Andromeda's atmosphere would somehow magically cure the Genophage. That would be even lamer.

They mention that during the hibernation that they had gene therapy during those 600 years it took them to go out to Andromeda and that the chances for successful birth has increased to 4%.
The part that bioware seems to have forgotten is that 4% isn't 1 in 25 conceptions, it's 1 in 25 eggs, and krogen are almost insect-like in their ability to produce those.

So even 4% viability krogen are going to quickly out-pace the other races in terms of reproduction. Frankly, since there's no such thing as half-krogen, unleashing these barbarians into untamed sectors and eventually pushing a civilized set of core worlds forward is not a bad invasion/colonization plan.

J1M

Arcane
So I guess this will be the first and last time anyone trusts Bioware Montreal to do their own thing instead of just helping out the big boys (haha)
That's already true. The producer that wants to bang aliens is from redwood.

Although allowing frenchies to write the dialog explains some of the issues.

a cut of domestic sheep prime

You guys haven't seen this yet, huh?

A flashback to Alec Ryder talking to his dying wife Ellen...

ELLEN- There's no cure Alec it's terminal.

ALEC- Not on my watch!

tumblr_oim83aSGnc1rfd7lko1_400.gif

Mischevious-Baby-and-Goofy-Sidekick-Samoyed-Dog-Laugh-At-Their-Own-Evil-Plans.gif

lemme guess, the ai is your mom.

we evangellion ripoff noaw :M:M:M

Preview, now with Scottish cussing:

The game might end up sucking, but this guy is an idiot just being overly hyperbolic to attract views. At least in terms of the gameplay, he's basically just criticizing basic shit that every single cover shooter and/or RPG has, to the point that it seems he's completely unfamiliar with all of the little bits of "suspensions of disbelief" that go into playing games in either genre....or any game, really.

What? You mean you sometimes can't do things in the game you can in real life because the game is a fucking cover shooter and that is a genre which, love it or hate it, has its own established gameplay system of norms and rules? You don't say?!?!?! This is the biggest outrage since I discovered that real life bishops can, in fact, move around the world just like any other human being, as opposed to only diagonally like in chess!

What the hell are you blathering about now? So you say the guys being critical and wrong because he hasn't experienced other garbage mechanics which are standard in cover based shooters? So he can't slag off these garbage mechanics, because garbage mechanics are the benchmark?

It sounds from the gameplay there were three things he was pissed off with...

1) The cover based stick to box shooting and lack of ability to move to cover or kneel into cover. This is because he is probably familiar with other games which allow that instead of sticky boxes. Hell even the first Mass Effect played that way and I was mighty sore when I started ME2 and I started sticking to railings and door jambs for no apparent reason.

2) The gunplay and aiming, he said the aiming with a mouse was like using a controller, so you have juttery shaky mouse aiming and his point about the grenades was pretty valid I thought.

3) The enemies having captions over their heads and health bars displayed, even when their hidden behind cover:retarded:

Anyway the guy was more pissed off with the rest of the game than the gunplay, he even said a nice thing about it, so I doubt he was being hyperbolic, if anything I think he was too soft on the game:D

Zeriel

Arcane
Why though? That is one of the biggest improvement from the older Mass Effect. The old games were very static, sitting behind cover and pop-a-mole except if you played Vanguard I guess. Now you maneuver all over the place as every "class" outflanking and such. It's much more reactive and fun.

Wasn't like that in the first game. Soldier had abilities that let them stand in the open and win fights.

You guys haven't seen this yet, huh?

A flashback to Alec Ryder talking to his dying wife Ellen...

ELLEN- There's no cure Alec it's terminal.

ALEC- Not on my watch!

tumblr_oim83aSGnc1rfd7lko1_400.gif

Mischevious-Baby-and-Goofy-Sidekick-Samoyed-Dog-Laugh-At-Their-Own-Evil-Plans.gif

lemme guess, the ai is your mom.

we evangellion ripoff noaw :M:M:M

The AI in your head is your mom, who also captured the memories of your dead dad and stuck them in your head and the rest of the game is just an uncanny valley illusion hence all the glitches and bad animation and all your really doing is playing the part of the other twin trapped in cryosleep having a dream about being your other twin and you end up banging the other twin in cryosleep and the immaculate conception creates the big bang which pours out through the galaxy and the mass relay and restarts the universe...

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

It sounds from the gameplay there were three things he was pissed off with...

There's more. He touches on the characters, exploring, and planet scanning which have 20 sec cut scenes.

I was talking about wrong carlos problem with the review, which was him slagging off the gunplay/gameplay.

That scanning though FFS, how do you take the worst things that everyone hated from previous games and make them even worse? So there's that now plus the Mako searching for pointless shit, the worst parts of ME1 and 2 made more turgid. All I can think of with all those planets is that they had grand plans to create DLC for them at a later date.

My favorite part of the video though was when the guy went off road in the "open world" and the game tried to pretend to rad poison him back, then he carried on and hit the matrix.

This game is like Saints Row 4 with all the glitches and artificial boundries, the only difference is Saints Row 4 was spoofing this shit and was a good game.

J1M

Arcane
Going in circles on the same terrible animations is getting a little boring.

One of the things that was interesting about Mass Effect 3 is that you could play it as a pure biotic or tech character. You were only forced to use a gun in the cutscenes. That doesn't appear to be the case here, because powers feel slower to deploy and slower to recharge. Maybe once you hit level 30 or so, it would be possible to get that 10 second recharge time down to 1-2 seconds, but you'd still be limited to just 3 powers at a time.

Essentially, it seems everyone is going to be playing this as a shooter with a couple of special powers. I guess that implies soldier is the developer-assumed build? It is the most likely to survive using the jump-jets under fire.

In terms of profile and power choice, biotics looked pretty underwhelming. I'm not sure it even has a primer that will land on shielded targets. I went with an infiltrator profile for now because I find that the environmental density makes it difficult to pick out enemies and that one is supposed to allow for x-ray vision.

Note: These comments are based on early experiences on 'hardcore'. I have no idea if playing on normal makes everything die in one hit.

Going in circles on the same terrible animations is getting a little boring.

They're not the same, they are individual, hand crafted, unique shitty animations lovingly rendered on every character in the game (except the hundreds of cloned characters) all accompanied by writing the poets are in raptures about like "Ode to Bacteria." and "The ballard of collecting data from the scourge." All accompanied by stellar voice acting that would put Tommy Wiseau to shame.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom