Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
most of these sorts of games have a polished beginning/most of the main story as that's what reviewers will see and focus on.

I dunno. Generally, the tutorial area is the one a developer does at the last stage of development, when everything comes together. Like White Orchard in The Witcher 3.

Or am I terribly wrong?

First PewDiePie video I watch. Not defending the game in any way, but this guy is a complete retard. Wasn't he a youtube millionaire or something?
Yeah, he's a moron. Sadly, I think that may be WHY he's a Youtube millionaire.

I never watched him up until a month ago but now he's trolling the shit out of the media and making jew and hitler jokes, even while his sponsers are deserting him due to media pressure and the media are having autistic fits and demanding apologies and he's doubling down, so he's got my respect. I don't much care for his videos that much, but I do find the guy likeable and anybody who stands up and says fuck you to the hysterical media and SJW demands to grovel and beg and supports free speech is a friend of mine.

Mark Richard

Arcane
They wouldn't do this if they didn't have at least some assurances of positive reviews from some of the press.

Looking into it further, I think it might just be streamers being allowed to show/talk about more of the game and not the actual review scores. That said I can't see things getting any better, most of these sorts of games have a polished beginning/most of the main story as that's what reviewers will see and focus on. They couldn't even accomplish that with this game so I highly doubt mid-game/optional content is where most of the work was done.
It's not uncommon for the beginning of RPGs to be one of the worst parts - Wasteland 2, Knights of the Old Republic 2, or the Hinterlands in Dragon Age: Inquisition for a Bioware example.

No wonder you can't have white skin in Andromeda. Behold the wisdom of the designer:

fr92BMB.jpg
1283941777_watermelon-slingshot-to-the-face.gif

images%2Farticle%2F2016%2F10%2F24%2FPWNED.gif

Taskityo

Educated

I see that a lot from people in the category that 'enjoy it' - they say it has "good story." (top poster at that link) I'm not quite sure where they are coming from in that regard. From what I watched on Early Access streams, the 'story' didn't seem very compelling to me - shallow and unoriginal might be a good description?

Also, I don't get what is with Bioware also using the Bethesda story "hook" for a Father or Sibling. The father is there for an incredibly short time, I felt nothing for his death. If they are going to be adding family, let them stick around for a good portion of the game and if they get killed, a consequence of whatever series of events happened. Kind of like how it was a total surprise that I could save JC Denton's bro in Deus Ex 1. Hell they could of made it so you are pathfinding with your Parent or Sibling exploring all the weird Sci-Fi stuff. Or they could have simply stuck with your crew being your "family" like the first games or tried different 'origin' backgrounds (one with family, one without, etc.) - just seems like wasted potential.

And just for fun today I loaded up an old save for Mass Effect 2 just to remember what the dialogue/voice work alone was like and it is far better than Andromeda. Andromeda seems jarring and jilted, by comparison, to the point that's its very distracting, at least for me. Also, sat in the Afterlife club for that sweet music and the Asari of course.

Vorark

Erudite
No wonder you can't have white skin in Andromeda. Behold the wisdom of the designer:

In any kind of business, if an employee shitposted this much, s/he should be promptly fired. It's terrible PR. Crazy how Bioware/EA let the guy free rein for so long because it's completely unprofessional behavior.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
He plays games as well as Polygon. The stuff about the combat is pure bullshit. I know he hates third person gameplay, but he doesn't even try to do anything else than just sitting behind cover.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
He plays games as well as Polygon. The stuff about the combat is pure bullshit. I know he hates third person gameplay, but he doesn't even try to do anything else than just sitting behind cover.

Honestly that jump option in combat is bullshit.

pippin

In any kind of business, if an employee shitposted this much, s/he should be promptly fired. It's terrible PR. Crazy how Bioware/EA let the guy free rein for so long because it's completely unprofessional behavior.

When I saw that indian guy shitposting that much (oddly appropiate tbh fam) I knew Bio doesn't even care anymore. I mean, even Gayder himself wrote about his gayness once every blue moon. You knew he was gay, but he kinda had some decency about it, and knew he had to follow an attitude when it came to work. Manveer doesn't.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Honestly that jump option in combat is bullshit.

Why though? That is one of the biggest improvement from the older Mass Effect. The old games were very static, sitting behind cover and pop-a-mole except if you played Vanguard I guess. Now you maneuver all over the place as every "class" outflanking and such. It's much more reactive and fun.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
Why though? That is one of the biggest improvement from the older Mass Effect. The old games were very static, sitting behind cover and pop-a-mole except if you played Vanguard I guess. Now you maneuver all over the place as every "class" outflanking and such. It's much more reactive and fun.

Because...role-play? The character doesn't have a Special Forces training. He's what, a civilian? He's not an N7. And when you are in a gun fight, the best way to survive is hiding behind a cover and spray your bullets in the direction of the enemy. Only an idiot would use a jetpack to fly from one place to another and thus being exposed to enemy fire.

A normal cover shooter is...good enough, for the role you are playing and for the general gameplay. I prefer shooters to be less like Overwatch and a bit more like Arma 3 (regarding the general rules of combat and engaging hostile forces). That's my honest opinion.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

Because...role-play? The character doesn't have a Special Forces training. He's what, a civilian? He's not an N7. And when you are in a gun fight, the best way to survive is hiding behind a cover and spray your bullets in the direction of the enemy. Only an idiot would use a jetpack to fly from one place to another and thus being exposed to enemy fire.

A normal cover shooter is...good enough, for the role you are playing and for the general gameplay. I prefer shooters to be less like Overwatch and a bit more like Arma 3 (regarding the general rules of combat and engaging hostile forces). That's my honest opinion.

I prefer gameplay over realism in this game. The game after all has space magic :) And the guy is trained. Before the pathfinder role he was working as a scout in the marines. He was also a guard on one of those Mass Effect relays before joining up with the Andromeda team.

You guys haven't seen this yet, huh?

A flashback to Alec Ryder talking to his dying wife Ellen...

ELLEN- There's no cure Alec it's terminal.

ALEC- Not on my watch!

tumblr_oim83aSGnc1rfd7lko1_400.gif

Mischevious-Baby-and-Goofy-Sidekick-Samoyed-Dog-Laugh-At-Their-Own-Evil-Plans.gif

Last edited:

biggestboss

Liturgist
I don't know if this is an uncommon opinion or not, but that's how I wanted it to be. I wanted to sit behind cover and shoot things. I don't understand why there's now a bunch of Dragonball Z shit in my space opera third person shooter.

moon knight

Matt7895's alt
I prefer gameplay over realism in this game. The game after all has space magic :) And the guy is trained. Before the pathfinder role he was working as a scout in the marines. He was also a guard on one of those Mass Effect relays before joining up with the Andromeda team.

I understand your point.

But you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about realism, but about my preference for the shooting parts to be a bit more tactical. With the jumpsuit, you get a gameplay that is fast and fun (maybe?), but then every semblance of tactical gameplay get simply fucked. I think.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
I don't know if this is an uncommon opinion or not, but that's how I wanted it to be. I wanted to sit behind cover and shoot things. I don't understand why there's now a bunch of Dragonball Z shit in my space opera third person shooter.

Then I guess you can play as that, as shown in the video. He hated it though, that is why I responded on it because he makes it look like that is all you can do.

biggestboss

Liturgist
I haven't watched the entire video yet, still at the beginning. I'm just commenting on the jump jet + mega man airdash thing and the crater punches that I wish weren't in the game at all.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron

I understand your point.

But you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about realism, but about my preference for the shooting parts to be a bit more tactical. With the jumpsuit, you get a gameplay that is fast and fun (maybe?), but then every semblance of tactical gameplay get simply fucked. I think.

I see your point. Yes, the gameplay is fast, but you can still make tactical decisions, believe me. I was jumping up on houses and ambushing enemies while my teammates or drone were pinning them down. I mean, if you wanna play it more down to earth(hehe) you can and only take more realistic skills. Remember the game is totally open now, so you can you probably sit back and shoot people with a sniper rifle now if you like that kind of stuff :)

And enemies also follow you up on stuff, and it was pretty fun shooting them down with a concussive shot.

Grimlorn

Arcane
It doesn't make sense to spend 30 seconds moving around to flank an enemy position when each enemy dies in 5 seconds.

Although Vanguard was the only way I could tolerate ME2. After playing that, I couldn't do any of the other classes because they were too slow and sat behind cover too much. I just hated all the backtracking I had to do after killing all the enemies to make sure I got all the items and upgrades. Really slowed things down.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
Preview, now with Scottish cussing:

The game might end up sucking, but this guy is an idiot just being overly hyperbolic to attract views. At least in terms of the gameplay, he's basically just criticizing basic shit that every single cover shooter and/or RPG has, to the point that it seems he's completely unfamiliar with all of the little bits of "suspensions of disbelief" that go into playing games in either genre....or any game, really.

What? You mean you sometimes can't do things in the game you can in real life because the game is a fucking cover shooter and that is a genre which, love it or hate it, has its own established gameplay system of norms and rules? You don't say?!?!?! This is the biggest outrage since I discovered that real life bishops can, in fact, move around the world just like any other human being, as opposed to only diagonally like in chess!

Sentinel

Arcane
Preview, now with Scottish cussing:

The game might end up sucking, but this guy is an idiot just being overly hyperbolic to attract views. At least in terms of the gameplay, he's basically just criticizing basic shit that every single cover shooter and/or RPG has, to the point that it seems he's completely unfamiliar with all of the little bits of "suspensions of disbelief" that go into playing games in either genre....or any game, really.

What? You mean you sometimes can't do things in the game you can in real life because the game is a fucking cover shooter and that is a genre which, love it or hate it, has its own established gameplay system of norms and rules? You don't say?!?!?! This is the biggest outrage since I discovered that real life bishops can, in fact, move around the world just like any other human being, as opposed to only diagonally like in chess!

His main complaint is that the game completely holds your hand for everything. Auto-crouch is just another example to further his point. Gameplay completely revolves around moving and shooting at retarded AI. At least in previous MEs you had squad management and squad orders, even if the rest was still garbage (shooting at bullet sponge enemies)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom