Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

raesha

Educated
Just to try and gauge how different ME:A would be if it was made by BioWare's main studio: how were the animations/story/quests in DA:I? Were they as bad as they apparently are in ME:A?
Aside from how much I disagree with their decision to try to merge an action rpg with a RTwP one into a hybrid that makes both sides of it more flawed, Inquistion didn't have technical flaws to the level Andromeda seems to. Edmonton is still biowares A-team with montreal being their B, and Austin the C judging form how badly their currently fucking up on SWTOR.

Lord Carlos Wafflebum

Aspiring Infinitron
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Austin should be doing the ME series. They clearly don't want to be writing a Star Wars game, but they sure do seem to want to write a generic space opera

Hellion

Arcane
A small BioWare history lesson from back in 2012 that may or may not be relevant to why they turned into the studio that ended up making ME:A in this state.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
7hm5hnijzuly.png

GloomFrost

Arcane
I dont know about you guys but i m glad that Andromeda is such a spectacular mess. Some videos i watched in this thread OMG i havent laughed that hard in ages. Thank you bioware! (Oh im not spending any money on it btw).

Sykar

Arcane

So the antagonists are teletubbies? First class design, Bioderp, first class. The more I see of this turd the more I am reminded of this old video about EA:

I guess the abbrevation ME:A should have been considered a dead giveaway by me...

I have cognitive dissonance while watching the gameplay. It doesn't look bad, I'd like to play it. But at the same time I don't understand how can it be so bad. It's like half of the workers rreally cared and did some great job (location design, locations, enviroment, combat) and the other half didn't give a fuck about the game, so they made fudge.

You've got to be kidding right? 10 year old clip art that is an 800 year old anachronism in the games universe and background furniture created from 2003 home depot kitchen planner software. Here's a re post as you seem to have forgotten.

In the future
There
Will

Be
Boxfiles!

futurefiling.jpg

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
This is why I refuse to buy this game

K9DS1p6wluX914h4NY5zVqL2qmapzSCFts8jHMGER4M.jpg

Just imagine if some white dude in Bioware said this shit about black people. He would be fucking fired immediately and blacklisted from the entire industry.

That and the game looks like absolute trash.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just to try and gauge how different ME:A would be if it was made by BioWare's main studio: how were the animations/story/quests in DA:I? Were they as bad as they apparently are in ME:A?

Almost all cut-scene animations were recycled from Mass Effect and Origins. Facial animations was pretty good though.

RapineDel

Augur
unavngivet2yru3t.jpg

So either they're rushing to pay the big reviewers so they finally get some good press, or they'll push these reviews back even further in hopes the most casual players don't get a chance to see the rabble that awaits them.

EDIT: Confirmed for tomorrow 8am EDT.

raesha

Educated
unavngivet2yru3t.jpg

So either they're rushing to pay the big reviewers so they finally get some good press, or they'll push these reviews back even further in hopes the most casual players don't get a chance to see the rabble that awaits them.

EDIT: Confirmed for tomorrow 8am EDT.
Considering the meme factory the early access period of the game has turned into, that's actually not a bad move by their marketing department, if the content gets better further in.

That's a mighty big if.

RapineDel

Augur
Just saw this gem:

"My wife, who has worked w/ stroke patients, saw this over my shoulder and asked if this was supposed to be a stroke patient.

I said no, it was the main character in a game called Mass Effect.

She then noted that a "Mass Effect" in medicine is when tumor expansion causes secondary pathology. This occurs often with brain tumors, which she suggested might also explain the character's bizarre movements and expression."

But frankly, I am losing desire to play it for "being mass effect" at all. I mostly want to explore planets, gather resources (but not like in Inqusition), and make prepared for colonists, beceause this actaully sound fun and gameplays show that we actually do it, by increasing "hatiable level" or something like that. Also, the plot must be at least average. Having entire new galaxy is and having humans which came from other galaxy is setting, that needs high skill of incompetency to fail. And yes, I know that everything so far seems bad, no big chances that it will get better as the game goes further.
As I said before, good hiking simulator similiar to skyrim. My hopes were reducted to this.

Your the only one here who actually wants to play the game for anything other than to take clips and screenshots and laugh at this fucking disaster.

I hope to God you're not serious and are just a Bioware shill, it would be the funniest thing if you were and had gone from trying to shill this game with your faux hype of 3 days ago to your now desperate position of "yeah it looks like shit but it's shit in space!!! Right guys? I can't wait to play this open world (that forces you into corridors) and hike around bland enviroments while I solve soduku puzzles and do MMO fetch quests, while I listen to the inane chatter of my badly written and voiced companions."

The funniest thing I've seen from the game so far is the writing, boy oh boy, is it bad, it's the worst written thing I've ever read/watched/played and I wasn't kidding about it being something you'd expect from a lovestruck Hungarian teen with a poor grasp of English. Some of the writing reminds me of Bosnian Eurovison song contest lyrics, where they try to be clever but don't understand the nuance of the English language and just end up baffling everyone. The best thing about it though is that some of the writers actually think they are creating something profound, hence all the references to poetry and there are also snippets of conversations in the game where it comes through that the writers think they are transcending video games. It's really jarring and you know it when you hear it, the dialogue comes out of character and the writer takes over to make their own views manifest and starts grandstanding. It's hard to explain but I'll give you an example...

I've linked to the start time now watch the following ten seconds or so and tell me the writer isn't writing about themselves and their tragically delusional over inflated sense of self worth...

I actually think I know who wrote that part because it's such a self insert...

Why+bioware_63d071_5829072.jpg

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Anybody dumb enough to buy MEA deserves to experience everything that MEA is.

I mean I used to feel kind of sorry for people who fell for marketing tricks and wasted their money on shitty games but this time there's really no excuse.
:timetoburn:

RapineDel

Augur
They wouldn't do this if they didn't have at least some assurances of positive reviews from some of the press.

Looking into it further, I think it might just be streamers being allowed to show/talk about more of the game and not the actual review scores. That said I can't see things getting any better, most of these sorts of games have a polished beginning/most of the main story as that's what reviewers will see and focus on. They couldn't even accomplish that with this game so I highly doubt mid-game/optional content is where most of the work was done.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom