Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Thought the uncanny valley animations of the early 2000s were bad but somehow this is even more unsettling. Lulzy thread, even for those who know fuck all about the ME games.

How the fuck are the 2007 facial animations better?

Holy shit Bioware, you surprised me with this pile of shit. You create a new floor for shit games to crash to. Impressive.

Zeriel

Arcane
Is there a game with facegen in this console generation that doesn't look bad? I wonder if peoples expectations from shit like Uncharted 4 and RE7 have made it so facegen-compatible heads can't hang in there at the edge of acceptability anymore like they could on Xbox360 shit.
what do you mean by facegen? Algorithm-generated facial animations?

Games where the player is able to make the character's face/head possibly body in a creator, where I assume the facial animations and stuff have to be made more generic than some guy at Naughty Dog poring over Uncharted Man's face for days to get his sneer right.

Black Desert Online exists.

Black%20Desert%20Online%20header.JPG

Bioware is just incompetent.

Do those talk and have emotive animations and shit or are they just masks?

They have animations. I acknowledge the argument it's a different focus than close-up zooms with cinematic dialogue everywhere, but I think they'd do a better job of Bioware if they did that sort of game. I mean, Bioware's "facegen" characters just look plain ugly in general, it's not only a matter of animations.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hmmm, one of things I actually like, it got some nice momentum to it. A bit like GTA 4. I know many people hated that, but I liked it, to me it added some realism/weight to the movement.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
Andromeda's reputatin - and Bioware's with it - has reached critical point, game is bashed everywhere and by everyone, meme websites, social medias, youtube, reddit, popular game journalists, famous people, PewdiePie, at this point game's done. It doesn't even matter if game'll get many 7 and 8 reviews, game's done. And Bioware's probably done too.

Sentinel

Arcane
Just to try and gauge how different ME:A would be if it was made by BioWare's main studio: how were the animations/story/quests in DA:I? Were they as bad as they apparently are in ME:A?

Prime Junta

Just to try and gauge how different ME:A would be if it was made by BioWare's main studio: how were the animations/story/quests in DA:I? Were they as bad as they apparently are in ME:A?

The animations were fine. Facial animations were downright good most of the time. Voice-acting was as good as it gets in cRPGs (although there were a couple painted sticks in there as always). Dialogue was competently written and flowed well. Most companion quests were between serviceable and downright good in terms of content. The main quest was meh. Almost all sidequests were bad.

Put another way, there is a good game buried somewhere deep inside DA:I wanting to get out. Regrettably the core gameplay is mind-numbingly awful and the good bits are snowed under about an Antarctica's worth of mindless Skinner box fetch-and-carry.

I feel sad about the people who put in a genuine effort to make something cool. Some of them were on the project and put in a good effort (for a bland mainstream escapist tradfantasy anyway). All that effort went to waste because of the MMOification. I never managed to finish it, but I did play much longer than I would have expected because of those bits.

Sentinel

Arcane

The animations were fine. Facial animations were downright good most of the time.
I kind of doubt this considering some webms I've seen of DA:I. Especially that one of kicking some fag out of a balcony. Is it the odd one out?

Prime Junta

I kind of doubt this considering some webms I've seen of DA:I. Especially that one of kicking some fag out of a balcony. Is it the odd one out?

I don't remember that.

As I said, overall the animations were fine. Certainly nothing like the hopw roewur ne in ME:A.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom