Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software It's another Demon's Souls thread god damnit

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Moving forward in this game, I'd like to know if there is some order in completing each area or if I should just continue playing until the game locks out certain places.
There are about 76 million possible routes through the 15 levels of Demon's Souls after the initial level 1-1. :M Aside from the barrier between level 1-2 and level 1-3, which comes down after you complete one of the other 'worlds', the only rule is that the levels within each 'world' must be completed in order. And of course, you can always briefly explore part of one level before departing for another level in a different 'world'.

sullynathan

Arcane
At every turn I find a flaw in this game.

I went to the storms area instead and I find new enemies, the rolling blade skeletons. Their bodies are just attracted to yours like a magnet.

Then the fucking worse thing happens. I find a crystal lizard, he rums to the edge of a cliff, I go and attack it and the shit keeps hitting a rock until my character falls from a cliff.

Perhaps I'm used to the later souls games having upgrade materials but I've yet to find enough upgrade materials to upgrade a weapon to +1 so far.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Yeah, come on, they're not worse than the wheel skellies from Dark Souls. You need to learn how to avoid them.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
At every turn I find a flaw in this game.

I went to the storms area instead and I find new enemies, the rolling blade skeletons. Their bodies are just attracted to yours like a magnet.
Dodgeable and blockable.

Then the fucking worse thing happens. I find a crystal lizard, he rums to the edge of a cliff, I go and attack it and the shit keeps hitting a rock until my character falls from a cliff.
:lol:
latest

Perhaps I'm used to the later souls games having upgrade materials but I've yet to find enough upgrade materials to upgrade a weapon to +1 so far.
Even the hoplites at the beginning of level 1-2 drop upgrade materials with substantial frequency, and you can find many more in other places, such as
level 2-1.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm trying to upgrade a greatsword. I was surprised to find that the curved special sword I found can't be upgraded, is it a Dark Souls situation in which you must bring them embers?
Repeatedly dying like a bitch isn't a flaw on the game's part.
I don't die much, but I will complain when the game is more broken than its successors.

Elwro

Arcane
(or at least not more broken than the successors.)

Unrelated: now that I think of it, the distances between bonfires in Demon's Souls made the gameplay even more engaging ;)

sullynathan

Arcane
Nothing you complained about suggests that the game is broken.
It's less responsive and more broken than its successors. The first part of the tower of latria shows that. The whole claustrophobic locations with lots of combat was awful especially when the hit detection isn't good and when you keep hitting walls but enemies can hit you through objects. Happens here within my first 5 hours than in all the other souls games and I've played them a lot.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
It's less responsive and more broken than its successors. The first part of the tower of latria shows that. The whole claustrophobic locations with lots of combat was awful especially when the hit detection isn't good and when you keep hitting walls but enemies can hit you through objects. Happens here within my first 5 hours than in all the other souls games and I've played them a lot.
I have no idea how you're having problems like this in Latria. Most combat encounters there are in areas that have enough space.

Only parts of of 2-X have tight tunnels, but not to the point where it becomes an issue worth complaining about.

sullynathan

Arcane
I have no idea how you're having problems like this in Latria. Most combat encounters there are in areas that have enough space.

Only parts of of 2-X have tight tunnels, but not to the point where it becomes an issue worth complaining about.
Perhaps you should replay the game. Confined spaces that you can't even attack without your weapon hitting a rail. Enemies shoot a stun attack that if you dodge ....... still hits you. Let's not get started on how dumb the AI is either.

sullynathan

Arcane
On a more positive note however, I will say that the level design has been pretty good so far. There are certain areas in Boletaria and the tower that I still couldn't reach, I'm assuming that the further ahead I get in the level, it might loop back around.

dunno lah

Arcane
I think you're just nitpicky. I used the starting Wanderer's Falchion throughout Latria and I found the narrow corridors to be just a tiny inconvenience. 3-1 should be a slow trek especially if it's your first time. Keep your shield up and try not to sprint or lock on needlessly.

As for Mind Flayers' stun attack...just gotta git gud brah. They're so slow that you could even back roll spam in a corridor to outrun them.

sullynathan

Arcane
I've beat the first part of the storms level. It's actually not that bad but the combination of my bad PS3 controller and the ledges wasn't a good one.
The adjucator was another pretty shitty boss. I don't know why they thought starting you above him and still allowing him to hit you through the floor was a good idea.

Any way, he was a weird boss. Someone left a note saying to use fire and I had firebombs so I used it and it hurt him. I attacked his head but after using firebombs again it didn't work. I died from his uber tracking tongue that breaks right through my shield.

I try again and I spend time attacking the hole in his body. His tongue has some pretty bad tracking that can be alleviated by standing really close to him while his wide swing is a near one shot near 360 degree attack.

He ends up being a really basic boss that I died once to but dropped a lot of souls. :salute:

Elwro

Arcane
That's one boss fight I could never understand. He'd hit me when I thought I'm protected and he wouldn't when it seemed he should be perfectly able to do so. I always beat him by pure luck.

sullynathan

Arcane
Now the rest of this area is bullshitting me.

Narrow areas wth skeletons that track you with their bodies. Getting shot by huge flying arrows with ridiculous tracking.

You still can't fucking push enemies and the enemy model takes up they entire width of the stairs.

Getting spammed by a wizard and retarded physics causing me to fall off a cliff as I'm going down an area.

Arnust

Savant
That area is great :D . Oh, and wear the Thief Ring. You'll thank me later.

Perkel

Arcane
:D hold you cock and you will prevail.
Wait until you will reach clifs in storm shrine.

Swamp area is fun. And it has da best looking sword from all souls games. They tried to replicate it in Dark Souls games but they couldn't nail it like in Deamon's Souls.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Now the rest of this area is bullshitting me.
The beginning of level 3-2 is
the best, or second-best, location for farming souls. Simply kill the Reaper with a bow from above, which also kills the Shadowlurkers in that room, then run back out to the Archstone, teleport back to the Nexus, back to level 3-2, and repeat as many times as desired. You can use the compound long bow found in level 3-1, or the white bow found in level 3-2, and Graverobber Blige conveniently hangs out near the entrance of 3-2 to sell you good arrows.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom