Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Black

Arcane
Damn, bail, bail!

a cut of domestic sheep prime

They can look "too real" sometimes like a real face slapped onto a low-poly character.

Did Witcher 3 use mocap? I don't think so.

They did use Motion Capture. However, CD Projekt came up with a way to make the majority of it by "algorithm" and other tweaking tools so they didn't need to motion capture every dialogue scene (an article about it). And also a separate article for the 7,000 more animations they made for DLC over a year.

The “algorithm” or “generator” as we call it, was used only as a solid base for further development of the scene. It was a shortcut, a tool, but never a goal. More of a production-related thing. It created a rough first pass through a scene, which was always tweaked and adjusted by hand - in all 1463 dialogues. In many, the algorithm wasn't used at all, as they demanded custom approach from the very beginning.

Every cinematic dialogue was approached with the same care, attention and goal - to create the most compelling and emotional scene for given quest and story. Only this way, the characters could ring true and players would want to invest in them, to understand them, to help or condemn them. When they act like humans, not voiceover-delivery machines. Achieving this is a deliberate, careful process.

Bioware backed by EA's loads of cash was unable to achieve a "deliberate careful process" like CD Projekt. Interesting indeed.
64m4ZTL.png
Amazing. I had assumed they had used mo cap due their extensive use of it in other areas and because the animations are really quite excellent. I was almost prepared to give Bioware some slack because Polish mo cap is far less expensive than american/canadian.

I guess CDPR is just better at their job.

OT: also chrome's freaking spellcheck underlines almost every reference to a nationality that doesn't have an uppercase first letter except the word "american". :argh:

ED-209

Educated
There was potential. A new galaxy, a new ship and a new crew. And they fucked everything up. I wanted this game to be good. Fuck, I want every game to be at least playable. My disappointment with Andromeda and my asshole glee at watching garbage burn is getting all mixed together.

I just wanna ask everyone who made this game two questions: Have you seen a human? and Have you ever read any science fiction?

Fuck, why bother. The answer to both questions is a big fat fucking NO.

[I'm gonna drink more.]

Lambach

Arcane
I sure as shit hope they don't fix all the bugs and shitty animation with patches too quickly. This has the potential to surpass the likes of Ride to Hell: Retribution in terms of shittiness. With a bit of luck, it'll be a fucking mother load of laughs and memes.

Taskityo

Educated
Bugs and graphical issues are one thing, but the writing and dialogue can't really be "fixed."

God, I am having a blast laughing at this game and trolling the devs on Twitter over what a POS they made. This game really is the gift that keeps on giving.
The funny part is that they shut down their forums where they could delete/lock threads. Now we can troll them to no end and as long as we don't violate twitter rules, all they can do it block us. :lol:

Not that I'm trolling mind you, but sheesh, what a lame move on their part.

racofer

Thread Incliner
3 day one patches

It's at least 2.3 GB.

Here’s what’s included with Mass Effect Andromeda update 1.01, 1.02, and 1.03 on PS4:

Version 1.01

• Improvements to Strike Teams UI screens
    • Additional multiplayer tutorials implemented
    • Balance: guns, loot drops, reward packs, objectives scoring
    • Improved appearance of character portraits
    • Adds new artwork for MP characters, armor, challenges in menu and codex entries
    • Improvements to many cinematics, conversations, and other character interactions
    • Improvements to quest tracking and waypoints
    • Improved quest rewards
    • Fixes various collision issues and a few rare audio issues
    • Performance improvements
Version 1.02

• Quest balancing
    • Various bug fixes and stability improvements
Version 1.03

• Various bug fixes and stability improvements
Read more at Mass Effect Andromeda Update 1.03, PS4 Pre-Load Live

Version 1.04
  • Even more bug fixes and stability improvements
Version 1.05
  • We give up

Just had a look at part one and two of the Female Ryder playthrough but alas they were the most polished sections, despite that it still looked like shit and had plenty of goofy memes you'll have seen before. Even the best realised character, the default Ryder father had a pingu mouth when he was delivering his last inspiring speech.

I Just went back to part three (the goldmine) and found this straight after the "Dad's dead," dialogue...

https://webmshare.com/7QMre

Zeriel

Arcane
Is there a game with facegen in this console generation that doesn't look bad? I wonder if peoples expectations from shit like Uncharted 4 and RE7 have made it so facegen-compatible heads can't hang in there at the edge of acceptability anymore like they could on Xbox360 shit.
what do you mean by facegen? Algorithm-generated facial animations?

Games where the player is able to make the character's face/head possibly body in a creator, where I assume the facial animations and stuff have to be made more generic than some guy at Naughty Dog poring over Uncharted Man's face for days to get his sneer right.

Black Desert Online exists.

Black%20Desert%20Online%20header.JPG

Bioware is just incompetent.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

dcFE3SX.jpg

Probably old, but it bears repeating that animations are far from the only thing wrong with the graphics.

neck still looks funny and she's still a mexican 2/10

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom