Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

vortex

Fabulous Optimist

Colin said if sales will be good there could be expansion set as side story and even Torment 3. How many copies should sell to make this happen ? At this point there now 107 716 steam users. Don't know about consoles.

Heine said they didn't want to include filler combat. But, I think if combat could be given at higher rate, more people would get the game.

Fairfax

Arcane
Ha ha. Remember when Fargo announced the Numanuma as the game's setting and said that they tried to negotiate with WoTC on Planescape but were dismissed. And then some wizard's guy shown up and said that there was no any negotiating attempt from inXile at all?

Ah, maybe it's for the better after all. What a fiasco...
The WOTC guys didn't say there was no offer:

It turns out, however, Wizards of the Coast wasn't against the idea of licensing Planescape at all - or so it told me.

"We would absolutely consider licensing out Planescape, or any of our other great D&D IPs, if we were approached with a proposal," Wizards of the Coast told us through its presumably bushy beard.

"We often get proposals and are actively pursuing opportunities to make great digital D&D experiences.

"Brian [Fargo] suggested Baldur's Gate 3 had proven difficult in the past before we regained our digital rights, so, that probably didn't help the situation."

The last quote is just the guy being polite. He's basically saying "we are willing to license Planescape, we just don't want to do business with him". This is because Fargo was Interplay's CEO when Hasbro sued them for unpaid royalties for the first time.

The weird part is that they said Fargo himself brought up the BG3 situation, but that only happened after Fargo left the company. It's possible he fucked that up by not explaining the story correctly and getting the blame for no reason. :lol:

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar

Zombra

Global Moderator
Re: Where are the prostitutes?

March 16th, 2017, 1:49 pm

I like to see a nice rack as much as the next guy, but they're not necessary for every story. This story happens to not cover that angle. There would also logically be dentists in the future (and most of us spend more of our lives with dentists than with prostitutes) yet no one is complaining about the lack of dentist NPCs.

images

How about combining the two into one and having Prostitute Dentists?

98db203de1aad21bc2d81f5aad8c2aa7.jpg

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Hm, I tend to think that Planescape 2 won't ever be made via crowdfunding campaign. It all depends if some publisher and studio will be willing to tackle it.

Chamezero

half a decade in the oven, gorillions wasted and it sold less than quirky indie gay platformers
no publisher is going to touch a sequel of this sheeeit or planetscape

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If publishers had a modicum of self-awareness they'd know that the game is simply shit and that's why it didn't sell. Is that the problem though? Would it sell more if it was a masterpiece?

half a decade in the oven

I doubt this abortion has been worked on half a decade non-stop. They either started from scratch multiple times or worked on it on and off.

Fairfax

Arcane
Hm, I tend to think that Planescape 2 won't ever be made via crowdfunding campaign. It all depends if some publisher and studio will be willing to tackle it.
There are few RPGs studios out there, let alone studios that could even consider tackling such a project. Few studios/publishers would even want to use D&D in general. Obsidian has PoE and the Pathfinder license, BioWare has DA, Bethesda has TES, CDPR has TW, WB has LOTR, and so on. WOTC's best shot right now is Beamdog, unfortunately.

The best chance of another Planescape game would be MCA pitching one with his new studio, but he's become quite critical of his previous work and text-heavy games in general, so it probably won't happen anytime soon.

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
Ha ha. Remember when Fargo announced the Numanuma as the game's setting and said that they tried to negotiate with WoTC on Planescape but were dismissed. And then some wizard's guy shown up and said that there was no any negotiating attempt from inXile at all?

Ah, maybe it's for the better after all. What a fiasco...
The WOTC guys didn't say there was no offer:

It turns out, however, Wizards of the Coast wasn't against the idea of licensing Planescape at all - or so it told me.

"We would absolutely consider licensing out Planescape, or any of our other great D&D IPs, if we were approached with a proposal," Wizards of the Coast told us through its presumably bushy beard.

"We often get proposals and are actively pursuing opportunities to make great digital D&D experiences.

"Brian [Fargo] suggested Baldur's Gate 3 had proven difficult in the past before we regained our digital rights, so, that probably didn't help the situation."

The last quote is just the guy being polite. He's basically saying "we are willing to license Planescape, we just don't want to do business with him". This is because Fargo was Interplay's CEO when Hasbro sued them for unpaid royalties for the first time.

The weird part is that they said Fargo himself brought up the BG3 situation, but that only happened after Fargo left the company. It's possible he fucked that up by not explaining the story correctly and getting the blame for no reason. :lol:

Thanks for this info.
Looking how things turned out, it seems their made a right choice to not involve themselves into this.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm sad to say that I'm 31. Never stop learning, kid.
I respect this, but in this case my question rises again.

I just don't get why one would write walls of text about the game he doesn't like. You don't look like a troll or a butthurt idiot.

Luckmann

Sorry, the quote got broken somehow.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
I just don't get why one would write walls of text about the game he doesn't like.

Because it promised to be a spiritual successor to one of - if not the - greatest RPGs of all time, and then utterly failed to live up to those promises. If this was just simply a bad game then people would write it off and nothing more would be said about it. But because of promises being made and expectations being raised, people are going to be pissed off when it doesn't deliver.

If it makes you feel better, inXile did do a good job on Wasteland 2, and may do a good job with Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3, but for whatever reason they messed up badly with T:ToN and people aren't just bashing it because they're trolling. Sometimes I see people hate on legitimately great games on here, like Pillars of Eternity because they think its cool to be edgy and hate for no good reason. But in this particular case with T:ToN that hate is warranted, and its not just people trolling for lulz.

StaticSpine

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just don't get why one would write walls of text about the game he doesn't like.

Because it promised to be a spiritual successor to one of - if not the - greatest RPGs of all time, and then utterly failed to live up to those promises. If this was just simply a bad game then people would write it off and nothing more would be said about it. But because of promises being made and expectations being raised, people are going to be pissed off when it doesn't deliver.

If it makes you feel better, inXile did do a good job on Wasteland 2, and may do a good job with Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3, but for whatever reason they messed up badly with T:ToN and people aren't just bashing it because they're trolling. Sometimes I see people hate on legitimately great games on here, like Pillars of Eternity because they think its cool to be edgy and hate for no good reason. But in this particular case with T:ToN that hate is warranted, and its not just people trolling for lulz.
Man, I gave $55 myself and I played PS:T back in 99. But I get your point.

And now I just started thinking what game would they make with a $900 000 budget...

Tick Tock Crocodile

If you don't like a game and have no issue saying so, eventually you are going to be expected to lay out your reasoning as to why not. Generally, I find walls of text with detail and examples of any issues perceived in a game to be worth a lot more than a simple "x is shit". You could ask why someone makes any posts in the thread of a game they didn't enjoy, but if only people who enjoyed the game discussed it, reading said thread would give a pretty biased impression.

i.Razor

Scholar
Patron
If it makes you feel better, inXile did do a good job on Wasteland 2, and may do a good job with Bard's Tale IV and Wasteland 3...

I'm playing Wasteland 2 DC right now and yeah - it is good for what it is and it's a fun game. Not sure about Bard's Tale though. After TToN i have already regreted that i backed it.

Lhynn

Arcane
If dialogue allows the player to shape the world or at least interact with it, then dialogue is gameplay. numanuma has plenty of gameplay, its just that its mostly cosmetic and shit.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
is Wasteland 2 better than Torment Numenera?

Also those inXile cocksuckers from RPG Watch got their review out?
yes they did:
Pros
  • A Spiritual Successor to PS:T
  • Great Atmosphere and Setting
  • Tons of varied and interesting quests
  • Heaps to explore and discover
  • Well written and dialogue based
Cons
  • Relatively short (about 30 hours)
  • Walls of text for those who don't like that
  • Limited combat opportunities
  • Character interactions are lacking
  • Steep learning curve for some

is Wasteland 2 better than Torment Numenera?

Also those inXile cocksuckers from RPG Watch got their review out?
yes they did:
Pros
  • A Spiritual Successor to PS:T
  • Great Atmosphere and Setting
  • Tons of varied and interesting quests
  • Heaps to explore and discover
  • Well written and dialogue based
Cons
  • Relatively short (about 30 hours)
  • Walls of text for those who don't like that
  • Limited combat opportunities
  • Character interactions are lacking
  • Steep learning curve for some
No, Wasteland 2 is not better. Actually TTON is pretty great coming from the people that made Wasteland 2. That game was a mess.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I recently got reminded about this Planescape: Torment post mortem podcast, recorded in the early days of Kickstarter craze.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...t-a-podcast-post-mortem-with-the-games-makers

One interesting thing mentioned in it (by Chris Avellone, obviously) is that PST would have benefitted from more areas focused on combat-exploration (i.e. dungeons) to break the pace of constant dialogues.

I actually believe that PST has a pretty good pacing in that regard, although obviously it could be much improved. But man, I wish TToN designers took that advice.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom