Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Shocking Report From RPS: First Hours of Mass Effect: Andromeda Stinks

ArchAngel

Arcane
Who is willing to bet cash that it's gonna be codex GOTY 2017? It has some W3 moments and well the voice acting is like really really good.
It is certainly going to be Codex Drama of the Year 2017. All that sweet drama in the release topic just like it was with DAI or Fo4. Better than any game :D

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Andromeda feels kinda like Far Cry Primal in space.
Shooter part is ok, space is pretty and it's not like anyone seriously expected a decent rpg from nowadays Bioware.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
You're not getting it, really? There's no such thing as Biowhore forgetting to send dorritos to RPShit or whoever. It's all part of the plan. There are highly trained people sitting around a table, deciding how to get the most PR for the game, just like in Wrestling. Nobody's letting a billion dollar franchise float in the sea on its own, it's all carefully monitored and orchestrated.
"Peacock gamer is gonna trash talk about our game, and then we'll have cocktaku say it's brilliant, and people will be like WELL WHICH IS IT, and then we have RPGshit say this and that, and then more reactions, then some youtubers upload a viral video, then others start defending it, etc etc".

This is conspiracist bullshit. The most successful writers produce trashy romance novels, not great epics or works that leave you thinking. The leaders of the pack in any given field share two qualities; being in the right place at the right time, and the ability to market the hell out of the product. Once you reach a large enough audience, actual quality is unimportant, as people will tune out the user feedback they don't want to hear.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It would make my day if Bioware crashed and burned, but I have a feeling the brand alone will make this one sell enough to make it profitable.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy

Who is willing to bet cash that it's gonna be codex GOTY 2017? It has some W3 moments and well the voice acting is like really really good.
Man Witcher 3 getting top vote really ripped some assholes apart here didn't it.

I will laugh when Codex nominates this shit GOTY.

- Aleck is Dead... (Yes honey, just like your career as an aspiring cartoon voice actor)

Gecos

Learned
Just forget about it, the Bioware you knew, liked and maybe even loved from 15-20 years ago is gone forever. An EA husk stands in its place. Don't expect anything different from this Bioware other than what EA is used to provide with their other games.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Just forget about it, the Bioware you knew, liked and maybe even loved from 15-20 years ago is gone forever. An EA husk stands in its place. Don't expect anything different from this Bioware other than what EA is used to provide with their other games.
Bioware is dead since Dragon Age origins, that was their last serious effort, however their decline started with Kotor 1, the transition to Mass Effect 3 was inevitable as Bioware wasn't interested on being profitable but into making big bucks. The decision to stop making good RPGs in favor of console crap started before EA, it was their decision to sell off and I don't think the owners didn't know EA reputation, it was that 1 billion dollars that is hard to say no, at that point, after getting rich like that, you care less about the future of the company.

They could keep making RPGs and be a medium independent studio now like Larian is moving to be if everything goes right but they as many other PC developers shown the middle finger to us the moment someone shown the big bucks for them. I don't expect Obsidian, Larian or any of those newfag RPG companies being any better if they had the same choice as Bioware did. They are only making traditional RPGs because they don't have a better alternative money wise.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
heck i downloaded inquisition to judge how low they fell, I never made it through the introduction part because the whole thing just made my fucking skin crawl. it was like a satire of a bioware game, made by bioware.
Would Brofist a thousand times if I could.

I think now most people probably wish Bioware sticked to tried and true formula of theirs. Was some bitching about KOTOR1 small linear levels just recently; well, DA:I and this is what happens when they get to do open world games. Huge spaces with trash enemies and trashy fetch quests.
Sounds like a "great stunning open world".

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Bioware is dead since Dragon Age origins, that was their last serious effort, however their decline started with Kotor 1, the transition to Mass Effect 3 was inevitable as Bioware wasn't interested on being profitable but into making big bucks. The decision to stop making good RPGs in favor of console crap started before EA, it was their decision to sell off and I don't think the owners didn't know EA reputation, it was that 1 billion dollars that is hard to say no, at that point, after getting rich like that, you care less about the future of the company.

They could keep making RPGs and be a medium independent studio now like Larian is moving to be if everything goes right but they as many other PC developers shown the middle finger to us the moment someone shown the big bucks for them. I don't expect Obsidian, Larian or any of those newfag RPG companies being any better if they had the same choice as Bioware did. They are only making traditional RPGs because they don't have a better alternative money wise.

I sort of agree but find it incredibly perplexing, why the fuck don't they want to make classical RPGs. These were great, brilliant at times. Why the fuck do they not want the make something similar. Why are there not more people who genuinely want to make more Wizardry's or Ultima or Might & Magics or Goldbox games (or genuinely new ideas), instead of the mediocre, half-assed efforts we've seen so often recently (except stuff like AoD or Underrail).

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

I sort of agree but find it incredibly perplexing, why the fuck don't they want to make classical RPGs. These were great, brilliant at times. Why the fuck do they not want the make something similar. Why are there not more people who genuinely want to make more Wizardry's or Ultima or Might & Magics or Goldbox games (or genuinely new ideas), instead of the mediocre, half-assed efforts we've seen so often recently (except stuff like AoD or Underrail).
Money. The answer is always money. They can be a AAA studio while making these types of games, but as Obsidian and Larian showed us, you can only be a AA studio at max with making old-schoolish RPGs.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2

I sort of agree but find it incredibly perplexing, why the fuck don't they want to make classical RPGs. These were great, brilliant at times. Why the fuck do they want the make something similar. Why are there not more people who genuinely want to make more Wizardry's or Ultima or Might & Magics or Goldbox games, instead of the mediocre, half-assed efforts we've seen so often recently.

Fuck man, cause of teh moneys! Have you read half of the interviews with our heroes of old about games they did in the 80's and 90's? You'll find that they had a whole gamut of stupid shit ideas like full voice acting, streamlined stuff, teh grafiks, immersions!, that they would have loved to put into their games but the technology and/or funding wasn't there to do it so they had to 'compromise' and keep the essential bits which ironically meant that the games were lean and mechanically sound: pure RPG's.

EDIT: J_C Ninja'd me, but I added a bit to differentiate ;)

catfood

AGAIN
Catholic Poland vs. leftist USA

1VbVLv2O.png
Bioware is Canadian though.
What's the difference?

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Eagerly awaiting the shocking report about Bioware shutting down.
They've been releasing only the most vile junk for a long time now, when is justice finally going to come?

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Eagerly awaiting the shocking report about Bioware shutting down.
They've been releasing only the most vile junk for a long time now, when is justice finally going to come?

At this point it would be a mercy stroke

DeepOcean

Arcane
They probably switched their writing style from merely incompetent to utterly infantile, which sits not well even with people with obvious bad taste
Man, you know you are fucked when even Eurogamer doesn't like your writing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom