Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Forged of Blood - turn-based tactical fantasy RPG

joesys

Critical Forge
Patron
Developer
Ok, but do these skill points affect things like hit chance or damage dealt or do they only let you take a skill from skill tree?

Some abilities in the skill tree affects hit chance or damage dealt. Some abilities in the skill tree gives you new ability.
But is that the only/main way to gain bonuses to hit chance?
What I want to know, if I being a newbie to the game decide to use a bad combination of weapons and decide I want to switch to something else after few missions will the hit chances with new weapons be at basic level or will they be similar to weapons I used before but only lack special abilities?

Weapon skill tree is not the only way to affect hit chance. You also have general ability tree (which is applicable to all weapons/magic) which you can pick every time you level up.

We also have a "come back" mechanics where if you are under-leveled, you gain skill points at a faster rate (more than 2 skill points per battle). So if you decide to switch weapon, at level 5, it will take some time to catch up but it's not going to be as long as doing it the first time. Another thing you can do is that, instead of changing both primary and secondary weapon at once, you can change one at a time so you still can use 1 weapon you already good at, while training another weapon up.

If you decide to stick with the same weapon but you don't like the skill points allocation in that weapon's skill tree, you can respec those.

Thanks,
-Joe

ArchAngel

Arcane
Ok, but do these skill points affect things like hit chance or damage dealt or do they only let you take a skill from skill tree?

Some abilities in the skill tree affects hit chance or damage dealt. Some abilities in the skill tree gives you new ability.
What I want to know, if I being a newbie to the game decide to use a bad combination of weapons and decide I want to switch to something else after few missions will the hit chances with new weapons be at basic level or will they be similar to weapons I used before but only lack special abilities?

Weapon skill tree is not the only way to affect hit chance. You also have general ability tree (which is applicable to all weapons/magic) which you can pick every time you level up.

We also have a "come back" mechanics where if you are under-leveled, you gain skill points at a faster rate (more than 2 skill points per battle). So if you decide to switch weapon, at level 5, it will take some time to catch up but it's not going to be as long as doing it the first time. Another thing you can do is that, instead of changing both primary and secondary weapon at once, you can change one at a time so you still can use 1 weapon you already good at, while training another weapon up.

If you decide to stick with the same weapon but you don't like the skill points allocation in that weapon's skill tree, you can respec those.

Thanks,
-Joe
The catch up system sounds good. I wish new Xcom games had something like this.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer

Thanks,
-Joe
The catch up system sounds good. I wish new Xcom games had something like this.

Hello. The mechanic isn't finalized as we just started working on it a few weeks ago. I can give more information on it probably in 4 or 5 months. However, yes, we realized that since we have permadeath and with the way level advancement works with the weapon skills, we needed a way for characters to play catch up. Right now, it's fairly simple but makes it so that within 4 to 6 matches, they will catch up (within a couple skill points) with Tavias, the main character. This makes it so that character loss is felt but not game ending. It also allows for switching/leveling up other weapons if you want to switch the playstyle without having to make separate leveling up parties (which I toyed with briefly but felt it wasn't enjoyable).

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
I am backing this. Sorry, I had to ask these things before I backed. Been burned before :(.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
I am backing this. Sorry, I had to ask these things before I backed. Been burned before :(.

Entirely understandable. Thanks for deciding to back us! If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Again though, I can answer based on current design and implementation but things are still somewhat in flux as we go through testing.

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
Hello from PAX!

mc2S5WE.jpg

Being here has been awesome and we've even managed to meet a codexian or two! So far, we're not catching a lot of eyeballs, but the people that do stop by and try out the game love it with a passion that is just so cool to see. If you're in Boston come say hi and test out the build!

Arulan

Cipher
I came by the PAX booth... several times. I spoke to the person on the left, in the first day pic on more than a few occasions.

I played two scenarios. The first one in the town with the bridges I was still learning the mechanics, and I think I probably would've won if the casting-magic-through-the-building bug wasn't present. I was victorious on the forest scenario after though.

The game looks fantastic. It was one of my favorite games of the show, and an unexpected surprise for me. I'm a little skeptical on the magic-crafting, mostly because of how difficult that is to achieve properly, but what I heard sounded pretty good. There is some good information on the Kickstarter page too. I do really like the magic with laws though. Having to make sure to take in heat energy through the ice spell in order to continue using the fire spell was a enjoyable consideration to spell casting. Likewise preventing the two-handed maul characters from attacking characters directly next to it, and giving it somewhat of a short range, made them a lot more tactically interesting than simply another front-line warrior, but with different attack rolls. I didn't get to experience it directly in the demo, but it looks like there will some nice reactivity based on where you decide to travel to in time-sensitive situations. The art looks great too. I believe I mentioned that one of the handouts from the booth, the one with the character holding a stone that emanates what appears to be a blinding light, got a lot of positive reactions from other developers as I was holding on to it throughout the day.

Pledged!

This game needs to make its Kickstarter campaign!

Editing as I remember more:

Magic had a very long range. They mentioned bows weren't currently in the build, which is perhaps why magic-casters were so strong. Apparently there will be bow-wielding characters whose role is to hunt down magic-users. The other character in the build wielded a dagger which you could throw. He seemed fairly strong when supporting another melee character, although as you would expect not the best choice against heavily armored characters. It was also mentioned that accuracy would be affected by how thick the tree cover was between yourself and your target (for ranged attacks).

In the build, each of the non-magic weapon characters had an ability. The sword and shield character could strengthen his defenses for a round. The maul character could increase his attack of opportunity by one (a total of two, the sword has 0 for comparison) and lowers his initiative (I believe) by one for a round. The dagger character I believe could increase his initiative by one for a round. You could attack after these, but you wouldn't be able to move (I believe; You should still be able to move one square [green] regardless though).

Last edited:

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
I came by the PAX booth... several times. I spoke to the person on the left, in the first day pic on more than a few occasions.

I played two scenarios. The first one in the town with the bridges I was still learning the mechanics, and I think I probably would've won if the casting-magic-through-the-building bug wasn't present. I was victorious on the forest scenario after though.

The game looks fantastic. It was one of my favorite games of the show, and an unexpected surprise for me. I'm a little skeptical on the magic-crafting, mostly because of how difficult that is to achieve properly, but what I heard sounded pretty good. There is some good information on the Kickstarter page too. I do really like the magic with laws though. Having to make sure to take in heat energy through the ice spell in order to continue using the fire spell was a enjoyable consideration to spell casting. Likewise preventing the two-handed maul characters from attacking characters directly next to it, and giving it somewhat of a short range, made them a lot more tactically interesting than simply another front-line warrior, but with different attack rolls. I didn't get to experience it directly in the demo, but it looks like there will some nice reactivity based on where you decide to travel to in time-sensitive situations. The art looks great too. I believe I mentioned that one of the handouts from the booth, the one with the character holding a stone that emanates what appears to be a blinding light, got a lot of positive reactions from other developers as I was holding on to it throughout the day.

Pledged!

This game needs to make its Kickstarter campaign!

Editing as I remember more:

Magic had a very long range. They mentioned bows weren't currently in the build, which is perhaps why magic-casters were so strong. Apparently there will be bow-wielding characters whose role is to hunt down magic-users. The other character in the build wielded a dagger which you could throw. He seemed fairly strong when supporting another melee character, although as you would expect not the best choice against heavily armored characters. It was also mentioned that accuracy would be affected by how thick the tree cover was between yourself and your target (for ranged attacks).

In the build, each of the non-magic weapon characters had an ability. The sword and shield character could strengthen his defenses for a round. The maul character could increase his attack of opportunity by one (a total of two, the sword has 0 for comparison) and lowers his initiative (I believe) by one for a round. The dagger character I believe could increase his initiative by one for a round. You could attack after these, but you wouldn't be able to move (I believe; You should still be able to move one square [green] regardless though).

Hello! Glad you liked it and thank you for pledging! I am on my phone in the airport waiting for my flight, so my responses may not be as thorough as I would like but I thought I should clarify a few things.

Being able to cast spells "through" buildings wasn't a bug but a mechanic of the spells that were created. You were not casting through the building so much as having the effect appear at the desired location. In the final build, we will have a sight mechanic that would require you to have sight at the area you wish to cast.

The reason why the two casters were stronger wasn't really due to magic but their race. They were both Juvarians, the strongest Neshalan family line. Juvarians have a statistical advantage in their base attributes and magurite control; they are meant to be stronger.

Every character has a quick action, a move action and a standard action. For those that play tabletop gaming, this should be familiar. Every action has an action cost. The maul ability you referenced requires a full turn action to use while the dagger ability you referenced required a quick action. All standard and full turn actions are attacks or spells and all attacks and spells require either a standard action or a full turn action.

This is an inherent problem with games like ours being demoed though. In the actual game, you play through a tutorial and the mechanics are introduced over time. In the PAX game, you played for 20 minutes without a tutorial. Despite this, hundreds of people genuinely enjoyed our game during PAX, with many bringing friends to see our game. I was quite happy with how well received it was.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is an inherent problem with games like ours being demoed though. In the actual game, you play through a tutorial and the mechanics are introduced over time. In the PAX game, you played for 20 minutes without a tutorial. Despite this, hundreds of people genuinely enjoyed our game during PAX, with many bringing friends to see our game. I was quite happy with how well received it was.
That is cool and all but will journos write articles about your KS so more people know about it and pledge ? :M

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I have just pledged.
I just noticed the game and this thread, as there is so much happening on the GRPG sub forum compared to the strategic one (I think this game should appear on both). So do you think it is worth it to attend such events in the end? I am always skeptical when I see the amount they ask, given that our type of game is not as easy to get into as action or party games.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I have just pledged.
I just noticed the game and this thread, as there is so much happening on the GRPG sub forum compared to the strategic one (I think this game should appear on both). So do you think it is worth it to attend such events in the end? I am always skeptical when I see the amount they ask, given that our type of game is not as easy to get into as action or party games.
So much happening is fake since DU or someone decided to make all topics from subforums show up here as well.

Arulan

Cipher
Hello! Glad you liked it and thank you for pledging! I am on my phone in the airport waiting for my flight, so my responses may not be as thorough as I would like but I thought I should clarify a few things.

Being able to cast spells "through" buildings wasn't a bug but a mechanic of the spells that were created. You were not casting through the building so much as having the effect appear at the desired location. In the final build, we will have a sight mechanic that would require you to have sight at the area you wish to cast.

The reason why the two casters were stronger wasn't really due to magic but their race. They were both Juvarians, the strongest Neshalan family line. Juvarians have a statistical advantage in their base attributes and magurite control; they are meant to be stronger.

Every character has a quick action, a move action and a standard action. For those that play tabletop gaming, this should be familiar. Every action has an action cost. The maul ability you referenced requires a full turn action to use while the dagger ability you referenced required a quick action. All standard and full turn actions are attacks or spells and all attacks and spells require either a standard action or a full turn action.

Thanks for the clarification. :salute:

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer

Thanks for the clarification. :salute:

And thanks for the post on NeoGAF!

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
I have just pledged.

Thanks for your support!

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game really looks very promising, but wtf is your PR guy doing? And why is no one credited with PR+community management on your website?
I am pretty sure there could be a way to sell your magic system to a mainstream gaming news site.

CritiestBunny

Critical Forge
Developer
The game really looks very promising, but wtf is your PR guy doing? And why is no one credited with PR+community management on your website?
I am pretty sure there could be a way to sell your magic system to a mainstream gaming news site.

Hah... We've tried, and will continue to keep pushing out updates and press releases to everyone we can get (I've got a massive mailing list that includes all the bignames). The thing is... For every one of you here who actually gave us a shot and heard us out with our pitch, there's a 1000 people who just ignored it... As an indie dev with a very limited budget, the PR and Marketing falls primarily on me (along with being CD and writer for the team) and the rest of the team pitches in when they can as well. Not a lot more we can do except to just keep plugging and to inundate those guys with emails and pictures.

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected
Is it possible to use magic in non-combat situations? Charm/Suggestion/invisible to bypass security/distraction with illusions etc type?

Deleted Member 16721

I hope so. That is something that is simply too rare in RPGs.

Milo

Critical Forge
Developer
Is it possible to use magic in non-combat situations? Charm/Suggestion/invisible to bypass security/distraction with illusions etc type?

Well, this is complicated to answer but I'd say the short of it is "no".

There are no Charm/Suggestion or other mind effecting spells. The reality is if you introduced such capabilities into a world, imagine the impact it would have. For the purpose of world creation, we precluded a number of spell effects. No resurrection, no mind effecting spells, no time travel, etc. The reason is the impact these types of spells would have on a world would render the world extremely unstable and foreign.

We do have "invisibility". If you wanted to move past a group of enemies without them being able to react to you, you could cast an AOE Invisibility on your party with duration (so it lasts long enough) and follow (so the invisibility follows the characters as they move). Exactly how it would work though is not yet worked out though. While the spell can be created, we are still working out issues with FoW and sight, as well as AI response/changes. It is still too early to state exactly how it would work.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!

ArchAngel

Arcane
Charm/Suggestions are handled in D&D with Kings having court magicians protecting them from those things or using magical items that protect from such magics. Royal areas are also often protected from teleportation magics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom