Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Dont laught at him, the game broke him so now he needs his 21AP safe space!

belated

Augur
Also add that archers occasionally don't end their turns automatically, even with 0 AP. I think after reloading but not sure atm
It's been reported before, but I wasn't able to reproduce this myself yet. Please let me know if you learn anything more on this.
I've noticed this several times as well, archers or crossbowmen with 0 (or 1) AP not ending their turn automatically. Can't remember if the same has happened with melee guys. Maybe because they have quick hands and thus a possible action available to them?

SmartCheetah

Arcane
Trying something completely different this time, buying only Nobles and recruits costing 2k+ The only exception to the first 3 guys was a tailor. Reasons for that are pretty obvious.
So far so good. 8 days in.
RKkNofW.jpg

lsoh7bk.jpg

SmartCheetah

Arcane
I'll update you about that new company. And how can I afford that? Normal game, not veteran.
I decided to play only normal until release 'cuz I need my fix as well and want to test some builds/things.

It should be viable on veteran too, but you'd probably get such team on day 12-15, not 8 :P

Tailor was a cheap-ass. I got him for 300 gold and he's pretty bad, but at level 3 he created first direwolf pelt armor. I rolled a very good map so it's easy to make 4-5 1star contracts/day. Fought only bandits and direwolves so far.

Recruited one more guy, a witchhunter with pretty good ranged. He'd be my 2nd marksman. My current goals are:
> Gaining 9k gold for Hedge Knight. Yes, that will take a long time in this little party. I hope I can achieve that in next 10-15 contracts. If I'll find some noble guy I'd think about signing him first.
> Banner. Dunno who will wield it yet, but yeah.

Also - We know that tailors create armor from wolf pelts and Bowyer is creating masterwork bow from quality wood and some coins. What else can be created? Anything from nachrezer teeth?

Last edited:

Ignatius Reilly

Scholar
What is the main strategy behind buying and selling trade goods? Just take it as far away from it's source as possible? Don't sell wood to cities in forests? :P Is there a general guideline?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
What is the main strategy behind buying and selling trade goods? Just take it as far away from it's source as possible? Don't sell wood to cities in forests? :P Is there a general guideline?

Mouse over each settlement before traveling and take note of what they produce and the textual description.
A large harbor city and keep tend to pay decent price for goods they do not produce.
Small settlements and villages tend to pay very low prices - but sell stuff cheaply.
All settlements would pay poor price for any commodity they can self-produce.
You can also go by guidelines of selling raw materials to where it is most likely in demand.
A city with ore smelter wants Ore.
A city with fletcher wants Lumber.
Tanner would want leather.
Etc.

If you visit a small settlement and found the prices exorbitant, check their current status on top right hand corner, usually the villagers are terrified - or they have suffered raids.
If you can find a contract and 'solve' that problem, prices will improve.
Keep in mind that Keeps and Large Harbor settlements can also lower their prices for you if your reputation improves as well.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Trying something completely different this time, buying only Nobles and recruits costing 2k+ The only exception to the first 3 guys was a tailor. Reasons for that are pretty obvious.
So far so good. 8 days in.
RKkNofW.jpg

lsoh7bk.jpg

Not worth the money imo... Stats are too random, and nobles may fight with low-born guys, plus hedge-knights fight each other iirc. I just get one hedge-knight for the possible training scenario later on, otherwise all low-born dudes. They also cost less in wages.
But good luck anyway...

Gord

Arcane
Late to the party...
Had my first patrolling contract today, left the city. Encountered some undead and brigands along the road.
Decided to follow the brigands, but when I had bested them, the contract was gone.
Is that a bug or did I miss something?

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Late to the party...
Had my first patrolling contract today, left the city. Encountered some undead and brigands along the road.
Decided to follow the brigands, but when I had bested them, the contract was gone.
Did you opt-in for the beta? It seems to me you're playing an old version..

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
The beta opt-in should probably have been standard... It was never too buggy anyway and the stable branch is way too out-dated.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Late to the party...
Sounds like a bug. Those are timed, but it's seven days. Might want to report it to the devs if there's anything to show (and you've opted into the beta).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Late to the party...

What's the time limit of your contract?

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
What's the time limit of your contract?
7 days, happened right after leaving the starter town, however.
Can it be because I left the road when pursuing the brigands?
Nah, I go all over the place. I'll even raid enemy encampments in the wilderness. Are you sure you didn't accidentally manually cancel it? Is it possible you pissed the town off (did you actually attack a militia or caravan belonging to it)? You should be able to see if their attitude towards you has changed. If neither of those, probably a bug.

Gord

Arcane
Nope, only attacked the brigands, nothing else.
Unless I somehow cancelled without me noticing, it's probably a bug.
Unfortunately I don't have a save at a convenient point to check.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Is it just me or large towns pay even more for trading goods when they have ambushed roads?

Makes sense. Rarer goods. Demand is high, supply is low. :)
It does. But so far I've treated all red town statuses as "fuck you, prices are x2 until you deal with this" but it seems you can use them to your advantage. Nice.

can anyone quickly explain me what's the point of the stars?
You get better rolls on stats with stars on level ups. Doesn't mean you'll get good rolls every time, but generally someone with 3 stars in melee skill will get 3 points each level, while someone with no stars will usually get just 1-2.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
fEDJfMk.png

can anyone quickly explain me what's the point of the stars?

If you normally get 1-3, 1-4 or 1-5 skills depending on the skill per normal (not "gifted" or veteran levels over 11) level-up, stars guarantee a minimum number above 1 I think. Something like, 2 stars = minimum 3 points.
So if you have someone with melee 50 pts at lvl 1, you get 10 total normal level ups. With no stars you get 10-30 points added if you always take the melee skill upgrade.
With 1 star it's 20-30. 2 30. 3... 40?.

I may have that somewhat wrong, but you get the idea.

Having 2 stars in your primary fighting skill is really useful, with no stars upgrades may often end up being +1's... So even with a good starting skill of 65 or whatnot, you may only end up in the mid 70's.
1 star is maybe ok if starting skill is high enough and you take gifted, or plan on like 10 veteran levels :D

3 stars is obv. best, but you should do the math. If your guy has shit starting skill and 3 stars, he *may* end up worse than someone with high starting skill and 2 stars for example.

The lvlups seem to have changed at some point, I *think* I remember people getting +5 or +4 on normal level ups to melee and defense on "gifted" and maybe even normal level ups in past versions... Maybe I'm misremembering?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
So I tested my old strategy (go all 2-handed with frontliners once you get 150-210 armors on torsos) in the new version. Still works great. Hammers and single/dual attacks with berserk. Occasionally the swipe thing, but rarely.

Thinking of ditching bows entirely. The head-defense limitations make them too vulnerable, or you have to take steel brow (wasted perk point, esp. with new headhunter being better... How is that working out?). Instead of having some or many bowmen/pikemen shoot necromancers and such from across the level, I may just use crossbowmen with better helmets. Advance in an iron wall and hope I get in range. Working well so far. May take bow perk for +1 sight and even heavier helmet, or just go with like 4 range haha.
Then I found a nice unique bow with like 60-90+ damage. Hrm.

Tried equipping several/all frontliners with polearms, but the damage output sucks later on.

Greatsword still kinda meh. It's ok, but the 2-tile attack costs too much stamina and doesn't do much against late-game foes.
2h axe destroys helmet and armor. Why. Hammer it is... Axes got the nice option of upgrading to the ork axe though and destroying knights' shields...

What enemies carry the crypt cleaver? I beat an undead invasion and saw zip of that. Necrosavants only seem to carry khopesh.

Can bowmen shoot beyond their own sight range if target is within arrow range but is only seen by a different brother?

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What enemies carry the crypt cleaver? I beat an undead invasion and saw zip of that. Necrosavants only seem to carry khopesh.

Ancient Honour Guard. It's not very good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom