Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: Tides of Numenera

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
evil_dex_2.gif

:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Depends. In most cases in an RTWP, the developers let only lose the enemies on player, without any refined tactic. But as we see this also happens in an TB system. A good TB and RTWP could technically behave the same concerning the tactics, just made with other means.
The only RTwP system I can remember right now which was good and doesn't induced desire to dismember its creator was system in Evil Islands.

Alos http://riotpixels.com/torment-tides-of-numenera-review/ - 74% lol, while game deseve no more than 55% at max. Bunch of popamolers...

Weasel
Of the other reviews I've seen, have to admit this made me laugh (only heard of this site when Fargo started retweeting them shortly after the "Tier One" antics). The staff are happy to admit they've never played PST:

http://fextralife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=15907387
I interviewed Torment: Tides of Numenera‘s Creative Lead Colin McComb from developer inXile Entertainment last June, and became an avid fan without having played its predecessor, Planescape: Torment. The way he spoke about the game conveyed a strong sense of passion and tradition.

But they also feel sorry for Codexers with their nostalgia goggles and comparisons to those ancient games like PST :shittydog::

For the people using the forum here, it is more likely they will agree with Cas than with people browsing something like rpg codex that focuses on the old-school thing alone. I am kinda happy I do not have that strong push of nostalgia that makes me feel no modern game satisfies me. It must be a very frustrating way to game.

Surely an "avid fan" could spare a few hours to at least try PST?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Edit: Whoops quoted wrong post.

Depends. In most cases in an RTWP, the developers let only lose the enemies on player, without any refined tactic. But as we see this also happens in an TB system. A good TB and RTWP could technically behave the same concerning the tactics, just made with other means.
The only RTwP system I can remember right now which was good and doesn't induced desire to dismember its creator was system in Evil Islands.

Alos http://riotpixels.com/torment-tides-of-numenera-review/ - 74% lol, while game deseve no more than 55% at max. Bunch of popamolers...

That steam thread is a goldmine at the moment.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/272270/discussions/0/133259227531564004/?ctp=9
"Breitbart of video game world" is as good a description of Codex as any. Though, their community is actually viler than Breitbart.
You can't ban an organisation from doing reviews, regrettably.

:P

sear said:
This thread is starting to get into flaming and trolling territory pretty quick. We do like that people are expressing their opinions, but when it gets into personal attacks, or attacks on specific gaming communities (whether for or against), it's fair to say things have probably run their course. Let's keep the discussion about the game and not people's political views or perceived mental health issues, please.

And its closed.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I mean, it's that kind of devotion to the original games that gets these spiritual succesors funded. But yeah, some people just can't let go, the poor miserable fucks, how are they ever going to enjoy anything, ever, is beyond me.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I don't know why moderators think they need to close threads with people attacking the codex. If anything those are the best threads.

Cholo

Arcane
Pretty messed up that Sea would try to bully gamers by silencing dissenting opinion, maybe somebody should open up another thread.

tormund

Arcane
Well, his reasoning was that other communities are not to be insulted on Numenera's steam forum. And I guess that every thread connected to Codex's review would've turned into that, judging by the climate on their steam forums ("racists from Codex are trying to kill InXile" etc, etc).
Though, another active thread whose OP directly accused RPG Codex of review bombing and where every other comment blames Codex for negative user reviews is still open, so eh.

Shadenuat

Arcane
A thread where people accuse each other of joining nazi party or whatever would have been nuked and people get ding dong bannu in an instant on any official forum.

You guys sometimes forget that freedom to post your real opinion no matter how retarded it is is a luxury provided by Codex, freedom of speech is not a normal thing in the actual internet.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
A thread where people accuse each other of joining nazi party or whatever would have been nuked and people get ding dong bannu in an instant on any official forum.

You guys sometimes forget that freedom to post your real opinion no matter how retarded it is is a luxury provided by Codex, freedom of speech is not a normal thing in the actual internet.

Oh I know. Deadspin (for calling out their bullshit) and ProFootballTalk (for making a joke that in retrospect was probably inappropriate for that site) have both shadow banned me. But its still amusing that they close the treads ripping on the codex and no one here cares even a little bit.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
You fucking idiots closed the best rpg developers for child level console trash. You are them. They had fun shitty all over Troika
"The Codex litteraly created a lolocaust!"

You just went full retard, Roqua. The Codex does not have that power...
This was on RPGDot. I left because the community of RPGDOT in 03 and 04 was basically the same as the rpgcodex today. They just didn't get it and I got fed up with it and arguing with console retards jerking off over the next fancy thing like Dungeon Siege and Jade Empire and shitting on ToEE and Bloodlines. I switched here because there were people with decent taste, and you could at least converse about rpgs normally. You can't do that anymore. I have defend a fucking storyfag game because of all the console baboons and Asian game children on this site who seem to control and run everything.
So it's the long dead RPGdot that's the culprit for Troika's demise now? lol

I was a member there before the Codex. It was a good website for the news, especially Gothic, and game help, not much for discussion and debates -- much like its successor the Watch. But even if they were bigger than the Codex, they couldn't be responsible for Troika's fate, especially not the users arguing on the forum. No fan website ever had that importance, especially in the eyes of publishers giving out contracts. It's Troika's reputation for buggy games that did them in, because of contracts and circumstances that forced them to release early. That, combined with the false perception that the PC and the serious RPG markets were not where the money was at, because of the rise of consoles and casual gaming. Troika became a risky proposition in the eyes of publishers.

Now, accusing people criticising Numenera of being console peasants is laughable, because Numenera was criticized by those same people for its consolisation, which led in some ways to inXile being butthurt and blacklisting the Codex. It seems to me you're not willing to see the criticism for what it is, and you prefer disparaging the user base instead.

If you think, because of new blood, you can't have debates anymore here at the Codex, then you are wrong. You forget that the Codex slowly gained its "standing" today because of its criticism of games and its debates, and this is why many devs come here, and refer to the Codex's opinions and articles, to this day. This never happened either on the dot or the Watch, because the debates happen here at the Codex. Might that not be exactly why you left the dot for the dex? And you know how good debates happen? When people debating have differing views.

It seems to me that it's you that can't have debates anywhere where your opinion isn't shared by everyone, where people don't want to discuss on your own terms. It is you that is calling others idiots, fucking retards, child level console trash, people that actually don't like rpgs, and console baboons. Those are your words. And you have the gall to say we can't "converse about rpgs normally"? The responses you get are in kind.

Also, I am not roqua. ... Ask the staff.
It's right there on your profile. Either you wrote it, or the staff did.
Nice try roqua.

RPGDOT isn't the culprit. People bashing rpgs for being rpgs and not some console shit with lite rpg elements. These people, like the community of rpgwatch today (though less true than that of rpgcodex which is just full blown mega retard console hipsters) just bash the shit out of real rpgs relentlessly doing real and significant damage to real rpg developers. What lesson does this teach developers? Make shitty rpg like hipster shit or some other type of safe game that is far easier to make than real rpgs.

It is impossible to have a conversation with retards or people who do not even like the genre. The only people that seem to be able to string a coherent sentence together are some how drama mad sycophants who are far too filled with rage to have an actual debate with.

Like everything on this site it will devolve into a retard fight unless the topic is an Asian game. Asian games are universally loved for being childish and sometimes including extremely rpg lite elements.

Also, I hope you do not think I would write Roqua on my account and then state I am not him. I am not the retard here, everyone else in the thread is. This statement is far more insulting to me than any of the other mean and horrible things people have said about me in this thread. Please, give me an ounce of credit for not being the usual codex level of dumb where I could see one of these long legged monkeys doing that.

Lastly, the moderators wrote it obviously, and they have no proof whatsoever and is why they have not replied for me asking for proof. The think I am Roqua. I don't mind being thought of as Roqua since he is absolutely gorgeous, has a giant cock, has completely impeccable taste in games, and has a luminously brilliant mind likened to Einstein and Tesla. Roqua is a God amongst you monkeys and I appreciate being confused for him. It is extremely flattering.

ArchAngel

Arcane
You fucking idiots closed the best rpg developers for child level console trash. You are them. They had fun shitty all over Troika
"The Codex litteraly created a lolocaust!"

This was on RPGDot. I left because the community of RPGDOT in 03 and 04 was basically the same as the rpgcodex today. They just didn't get it and I got fed up with it and arguing with console retards jerking off over the next fancy thing like Dungeon Siege and Jade Empire and shitting on ToEE and Bloodlines. I switched here because there were people with decent taste, and you could at least converse about rpgs normally. You can't do that anymore. I have defend a fucking storyfag game because of all the console baboons and Asian game children on this site who seem to control and run everything.

I was a member there before the Codex. It was a good website for the news, especially Gothic, and game help, not much for discussion and debates -- much like its successor the Watch. But even if they were bigger than the Codex, they couldn't be responsible for Troika's fate, especially not the users arguing on the forum. No fan website ever had that importance, especially in the eyes of publishers giving out contracts. It's Troika's reputation for buggy games that did them in, because of contracts and circumstances that forced them to release early. That, combined with the false perception that the PC and the serious RPG markets were not where the money was at, because of the rise of consoles and casual gaming. Troika became a risky proposition in the eyes of publishers.

Now, accusing people criticising Numenera of being console peasants is laughable, because Numenera was criticized by those same people for its consolisation, which led in some ways to inXile being butthurt and blacklisting the Codex. It seems to me you're not willing to see the criticism for what it is, and you prefer disparaging the user base instead.

If you think, because of new blood, you can't have debates anymore here at the Codex, then you are wrong. You forget that the Codex slowly gained its "standing" today because of its criticism of games and its debates, and this is why many devs come here, and refer to the Codex's opinions and articles, to this day. This never happened either on the dot or the Watch, because the debates happen here at the Codex. Might that not be exactly why you left the dot for the dex? And you know how good debates happen? When people debating have differing views.

It seems to me that it's you that can't have debates anywhere where your opinion isn't shared by everyone, where people don't want to discuss on your own terms. It is you that is calling others idiots, fucking retards, child level console trash, people that actually don't like rpgs, and console baboons. Those are your words. And you have the gall to say we can't "converse about rpgs normally"? The responses you get are in kind.

Also, I am not roqua. ... Ask the staff.
It's right there on your profile. Either you wrote it, or the staff did.
Nice try roqua.

RPGDOT isn't the culprit. People bashing rpgs for being rpgs and not some console shit with lite rpg elements. These people, like the community of rpgwatch today (though less true than that of rpgcodex which is just full blown mega retard console hipsters) just bash the shit out of real rpgs relentlessly doing real and significant damage to real rpg developers. What lesson does this teach developers? Make shitty rpg like hipster shit or some other type of safe game that is far easier to make than real rpgs.

It is impossible to have a conversation with retards or people who do not even like the genre. The only people that seem to be able to string a coherent sentence together are some how drama mad sycophants who are far too filled with rage to have an actual debate with.

Like everything on this site it will devolve into a retard fight unless the topic is an Asian game. Asian games are universally loved for being childish and sometimes including extremely rpg lite elements.

Also, I hope you do not think I would write Roqua on my account and then state I am not him. I am not the retard here, everyone else in the thread is. This statement is far more insulting to me than any of the other mean and horrible things people have said about me in this thread. Please, give me an ounce of credit for not being the usual codex level of dumb where I could see one of these long legged monkeys doing that.

Lastly, the moderators wrote it obviously, and they have no proof whatsoever and is why they have not replied for me asking for proof. The think I am Roqua. I don't mind being thought of as Roqua since he is absolutely gorgeous, has a giant cock, has completely impeccable taste in games, and has a luminously brilliant mind likened to Einstein and Tesla. Roqua is a God amongst you monkeys and I appreciate being confused for him. It is extremely flattering.
Shut up Roqua.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
This was on RPGDot.

Do you even read yourself? First it was the Codex, then no it was RPGdot, then no actually just the community full of console retards now? Try and dodge this: there is no RPGdot or RPGCodex without its community, they are their community. And my previous answer still stands: people discussing in a forum do not have the power to shut down a developer, because no one with this kind of power (publishers giving contracts) actually reads this shit.

If you think we're full blown mega console retards and you can't have a discussion with that type of people, WTF are you doing here? What is your goal here in talking to all us retards while you're the only sane one? Or are you actually the retard by talking to people that you believe have no taste and can't even understand you? Seems to me like the only coherent position you could take is to leave.

That's right. GTFO.

Retard.

Reapa

Doom Preacher
http://store.steampowered.com/app/272270/?snr=1_7_7_popularnew_150_2

look at that mess
some reviews there are even more negative than OP
deleted steam threads bashing on rpg codex for negative review are utterly pointless when the game's steam front page is filled with negative reviews
and btw, if you don't want to spoil the game in a review then just use spoiler tags. don't limit your review to a crappy wall of text filled with (probably legit) accusations without proof. some of us would rather get spoiled by a detailed review than have to play through the damn thing. can't shake the feeling OP is actually advertising the game by not providing bits of ingame proof for his claims. reverse psychology...
Darth Roxor you dropped the ball on this. you probably played through worse games so getting dirty is not a good reason not to play this shit and make a detailed review. get to work!

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
This was on RPGDot.

Do you even read yourself? First it was the Codex, then no it was RPGdot, then no actually just the community full of console retards now? Try and dodge this: there is no RPGdot or RPGCodex without its community, they are their community. And my previous answer still stands: people discussing in a forum do not have the power to shut down a developer, because no one with this kind of power (publishers giving contracts) actually reads this shit.

If you think we're full blown mega console retards and you can't have a discussion with that type of people, WTF are you doing here? What is your goal here in talking to all us retards while you're the only sane one? Or are you actually the retard by talking to people that you believe have no taste and can't even understand you? Seems to me like the only coherent position you could take is to leave.

That's right. GTFO.

Retard.

It was always the specific type of playing making up a community you fucking idiot. Why is comprehension so hard for everyone here? The rpgcodex used to be pro-rpg. Now they are pro Asian console games. Rpgs cannot be discussed here in any productive or meaningful way. E.g. - This review, any thread on a real rpg made primarily for the PC such as WL2, PoE, Tyranny, etc. Compare this to the love every game gets in the Asian forum and even you fucking brainiacs should see a stark difference.

This site is no longer an rpg site. Its community no longer values rpgs or is even capable of discussing them. Hell, this community is not capable of discussing anything like intelligent adults.

Your solution is why this site is in the state it currently is in. All the people that are over the age of 12, are not retarded, and actually like rpgs left because they are sick of the fucking non-stop retard fights. And sick of all the love the consoles get while the genre this site is supposed to be about gets shit on and shit on by fucking Pokémon idiots and people who think Zelda and Metal Gear are the best rpgs of the last couple years.

I have a better idea. Why don't you fucking retards leave? Wouldn't that make infinitely more sense? Or change the website's name and stop pretending this isn't a general gaming site for retarded kids.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom