Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

the_shadow

Arcane
FEAR 1 was shit, FEAR 2 was better cause you at least had a tiny bit of variety and mech things. AI was shit in both games, scripted crap in first game with voice taunts so you'd know EXACTLY what was going to happen. No scares in either games..ooohhh dat light moved....ooohhh Alma shows up in a doorway and blood drips from ceiling....Climbing up and down the building half a dozen times fighting the same 3 types of mooks for hours. That's another reason 2 was better: it was shorter.

Tl;dr both games are shit and the third is even worse.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised that some people view the banter between the Replicas of F.E.A.R 1 as a positive. Sure, I guess it adds 'immersion', but loudly announcing that you are going to try and flank your target defeats the purpose of flanking someone in the first place. I don't think I was successfully flanked once in F.E.A.R 1, since I'd just fall back or shoot at whoever was trying to flank me. In F.E.A.R 2 there were numerous instances I was smoked without warning from behind/the sides by a Replica soldier.

Someone also mentioned the shotgun was watered down in F.E.A.R 2, although I found the exact opposite. I rarely used the shotgun in F.E.A.R 1, but it was my second main weapon in F.E.A.R 2.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Yeah, I'm a little surprised that some people view the banter between the Replicas of F.E.A.R 1 as a positive. Sure, I guess it adds 'immersion', but loudly announcing that you are going to try and flank your target defeats the purpose of flanking someone in the first place. I don't think I was successfully flanked once in F.E.A.R 1, since I'd just fall back or shoot at whoever was trying to flank me. In F.E.A.R 2 there were numerous instances I was smoked without warning from behind/the sides by a Replica soldier.
In a first-person game, being able to hear the shit going on outside your field of vision and determine the positions of sounds is pretty much a necessity if enemies are capable of flanking you or moving behind you. Else you'll find yourself constantly dying with a stick up your ass wondering where the enemy came from, which isn't all that fun if you ask me. It's not exactly realistic for Replicas to communicate the way they do, but when has realism ever directly translated to fun anyways.

I'm fairly sure playing on higher difficulties reduces the amount of shoutouts Replicas do in combat, or at least I barely noticed Replicas screaming they're gonna flank my ass when I replayed it on Extreme a month or two ago (probably because I was doing most of the flanking instead). They were rather quiet about it, though you could hear their footsteps. I can't speak for F.E.A.R. 2 however.

Someone also mentioned the shotgun was watered down in F.E.A.R 2, although I found the exact opposite. I rarely used the shotgun in F.E.A.R 1, but it was my second main weapon in F.E.A.R 2.
what the fuck is wrong with you

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I thought the idea wasn't that the replicas were screaming everything out but that the magical point mang could hear their radio chatter via TELEPATHIX or some shit.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Oh look another retarded post from mr commie. Trying too hard to be edgy you dumbfuk.

possibly_retarded.png

Not possibly...

What's the problem anyway? FEAR IS shit. Ok to be fair not 'shit' but 'mediocre'. Did some things well, but the overall experience was bland and repetitive. Better for you? Won't cry now? Wipe that snot and dry your eyes and...

:dealwithit:

Last edited:

the_shadow

Arcane
In a first-person game, being able to hear the shit going on outside your field of vision and determine the positions of sounds is pretty much a necessity if enemies are capable of flanking you or moving behind you.
Else you'll find yourself constantly dying with a stick up your ass wondering where the enemy came from, which isn't all that fun if you ask me. It's not exactly realistic for Replicas to communicate the way they do, but when has realism ever directly translated to fun anyways.

I'm fine with listening for footsteps, being observant of your surroundings and prudent where you are positioned to make sure you aren't being flanked. Having the enemies shout that they are flanking you is as corny as mooks in a martial arts movie screaming a war cry while attempting to sneak up behind the hero. Uh guys, the whole point of sneaking is that you *don't* make noise to alert the enemy of your location.

I'm fairly sure playing on higher difficulties reduces the amount of shoutouts Replicas do in combat, or at least I barely noticed Replicas screaming they're gonna flank my ass when I replayed it on Extreme a month or two ago (probably because I was doing most of the flanking instead). They were rather quiet about it, though you could hear their footsteps. I can't speak for F.E.A.R. 2 however.

I don't remember them speaking at all in F.E.A.R 2, and I preferred it that way. Each to his own, I guess.

And yeah, I tried the shotgun in F.E.A.R 1 numerous times, and didn't find it that good. The submachine gun packed a better punch IMHO. The auto-loading shottie in F.E.A.R 2 was invaluable though.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Oh look another retarded post from mr commie. Trying too hard to be edgy you dumbfuk.

possibly_retarded.png

Not possibly...

What's the problem anyway? FEAR IS shit. Ok to be fair not 'shit' but 'mediocre'. Did some things well, but the overall experience was bland and repetitive. Better for you? Won't cry now? Wipe that snot and dry your eyes and...

:dealwithit:
Your mom's mediocre. Go back to paying whatever shit you're into like NuTorment.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Did 2 heists in GTA V, it has little details and interesting mechanics to explore in the game world and it has moments where the action feels great like that scene from Heat as others have commented and I agree but anything else in between, good lord, the characters move slow and stiff feels like driving a truck and all other animations have the same problem, entering vehicles, talking to npcs, opening menus, slow, slow, slow.

Boring side stuff is boring, enough with races in an open world! Am i jaded because I've gone trough that stuff so many times? Yes and it's not like previous games didn't have any of that but the slowness of it all makes it all the much worse.
I'll try to endure some more but clicking .exe is getting painful.

Raapys

Arcane
I recently played GTA5 for the first time. Was okay I guess, agree with the slow/awkward character movement and world/UI interactions. I thought the shooting was surprisingly decent though. All the radio stations were horrible, a far throw from Vice City.

I don't know, I feel the current mission structure of the game and series mostly fails to take advantage of the open-world part of the game. It's like two separate games. Why not do something like Mercenaries 2 where you can use your hard earned cash to call in airstrikes, tanks, choppers, etc., in missions? Right now the only outside-effect you can have on your missions is maybe some better weapons and armor.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Battle brothers still and... Alien Shooter TD? Wat.

Nothing else to play right now... TTON looks unappealing as hell and let's not talk about ME:A ...

Maybe I'll try Nier Automata soon. Support the dev guy or something. I've regretted every single purchase of a jap game I've made recently though (atelier sophie, tales of zestiria, trails in the sky)... Which I only made out of boredom and the at once overflowing and completely underwhelming western market. Send help...

Mustawd

Finished S&S: Underworld. Pretty Meh experience with some fun parts here and there. Level design ranges from good to bad, while the UI is not very intuitive, but functional. A lot of backtracking in the early game and in general really, but mostly in the early game which really bogs down the game. Puzzles and quests that are not designed well enough or provide the player with enough information.

It's def old school as I found myself asking for hints from the dev towards the end as I raged against puzzles and found a bug here or there. However, I do have to note that the combat is fun, and I changed my tactics throughout the game. It wasn't exactly balanced correctly as there were periods where I spammed the same tactics, but it's to be expected from an indie game.

Overall get it if you like Wiz games and are dying for a new blobber and if you've played the other ones. Dev has a sequel in the works, so I hope he learns from his mistakes. Anyhow, S&S took me roughly 63 hrs to finish, so I'm kinda burned out on blobbers for now.

Picked up something easy and casual called Immortal Empire. It's basically a casual FTP turn based, party creation, isometric optional-MMO. If that sounds weird and unique, it is lol.

You can choose to play Co-Op or Solo. The game plays a bit like a turn based Diablo with a party. The abilities/stats/inventory is all pretty shallow MMO mechanics. But somehow I'm having a bit of fun. We'll see a few more hours in. It's kind of good mindless fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Anyhow, S&S took me roughly 63 hrs to finish, so I'm kinda burned out on blobbers for now.
We had a very different experience then. It took me less than 25 hours and I thought the game was particularly fast-paced.
Puzzles and quests that are not designed well enough or provide the player with enough information.

It's def old school as I found myself asking for hints from the dev towards the end as I raged against puzzles
You're complaining about the lack of a quest compass. :M I thought the small scale puzzles and the-not always railroaded-quests were good.

I do have to note that the combat is fun, and I changed my tactics throughout the game. It wasn't exactly balanced correctly as there were periods where I spammed the same tactics
Yup, I agree with that, both the positive and negative point.

Dev has a sequel in the works, so I hope he learns from his mistakes.
I just want more of the same, possibly with more exploration and large scale puzzles (so more backtracking :M).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Inquisitor as a magic (Priest) focused class. Melee fucking sux, bows and spells are the way to go. My first characters were terrible with badly spend skillpoints (they were as precious as the skillpoints in Beyond Divinity) but this one was not perfect too but good enough to reach finale. Final showdown was ok except random deaths (no spells, no effect, no attacks, no informations, no sounds, just YOU DIED, luckily there is Salvation which leave you with 1HP and use mana pool for your safety).

All that heretical hunt was p.predictable because you knew that the most important NPCs in every acts are heretics in 99% of the cases.
Got hope that after getting my first offensive spell at lvl15 seals (they have same role as offensive runes in Gothic) can be ditched but nope, there is long delay between casting and spell can fizzle or not penetrate. Thing it - there is no spell that you can cast while holding Shift and point at general direction. You must choose enemy and pray for good roll...

Walking speed is ridiculously slow but nothing that can't be solved with speedhacks (praise PC gaming for this blessing soft). Last Act is filled with dungeons. If you don't have high tier spells like Rain of Fire to clean rooms - you gonna have HARD time in some of them (by that I mean - most of them).
Each character have one stat that need most points (and can be raised to 100 compared to other stats capped at 50). Priest pump up Intelligence and Thief dexterity. But Paladin? Well, he need good Str (damage+hp), dexterity (to hit anything), Con (bigger HP pool) and on top of that - Speed for better Defense and walking speed (duh). Ok, he can repair his equipement in deepest dungeons and can wear nice plate armors but that's not worth it, seriously....

Alchemy sounds cool but was useless. Permament potions? Why even bother when you can find Devil Roots and pay 1.000 gold to make one? Money was not a problem after cleaning first dungeon in Act1.
Promotions are easy - do quest for your promotor. Unless you're Priest, then you need to pass exam too. And final exam is in Latin :M

My inquisitor (wish I keep my old Judge Inquisitor title).
0798E7039F564826EAC5BB5CE6CE3B9DBA204C39

I'm sure that his bladder is destroyed after massive potion chugfest. And I'm sure these sudden deaths is the way to bring challenge at the end of the game.

I think about second playthrough as an Evil Priest (there is option to join the bad guys named Children of the New Order) with better skills developement this time...

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
I couldn't finish the game, no matter how engrossing the story and style are. I just found the combat and the amount of backtracking to be an incredible chore.

Mustawd

We had a very different experience then. It took me less than 25 hours and I thought the game was particularly fast-paced.

I think we talked about this in shoutbox, but the first half of the game I didn't save scum at all. I would drag my dead guys (which happened a lot as the early game can be deadly) ALL the way to town and have them resurrected in the temple. And god forbid I ran out of money to resurrect my guys, which did happen a lot. So I'd have to grind in the arena to make gold, and hope to god no more party members died. If you play it straight the early game can be really grueling.

Part of that was my fault as well though as I had positioned my Sorcerer in the second row for a while before putting her in the back row :oops: . Once I started save scumming it went by much more quickly.

You're complaining about the lack of a quest compass. :M I thought the small scale puzzles and the-not always railroaded-quests were good.

Part of this is my new-school sensibilities as I hate to map out stuff and notate it. Ditto when it comes to quests. So if I'm reading and I miss it, there's no way for me to get the quest read back to me. For example, there was one quest where I needed to find a certain goblin NPC. Well, you're given the NPC's name ut it doens't show up on your journal. And lo and behold I forgot it. You can go back to the quest giver and he so happens to repeat the quest, but this is not readily apparent as not all quest givers do this. But yes, I think I was playing this a bit too loose.

In terms of the puzzles, some were good, and some were bad I thought. For example:

In the realm of Earth you need to use Spirit Bodies to go through the rock to find tunnels. How is this even readily apparent? It's just one corridor surrounded by black. It is definitely clear in the Land of Water and other times where Spirit Bodies is used (for example you can explore enough to see that there is another side and that you can walk through a wall to get there). But most definitely not in the Real of Earth.

Anyhow, I should caveat this with the fact that I hate puzzles in RPGs. Or rather, I hate most puzzles in general.

Anyhow, the early game is what really burned me out on S&S tbh. I think if that had been balanced better or if I had save scummed I would have had a much more enjoyable experience. By the time I got to the mid game (where most of the quests and puzzles are) I had basically lost my patience with the game and might have started to try and rush past the content to get it over with.

Raapys

Arcane
I think about second playthrough as an Evil Priest (there is option to join the bad guys named Children of the New Order) with better skills developement this time...
Are you sure that's not just a fake choice? I.e. pick it and die or some shit?

I don't see Dark Mass and Infernal Hounds on your hotbar. They are by far the most powerful spells in the game. The hounds are very strong and can be spammed until you have an army of them, easily chewing through everything you encounter. Dark Mass (almost always) one-hit kills everything in the entire screen at lvl20 infernal magic, as I recall.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Are you sure that's not just a fake choice? I.e. pick it and die or some shit?

I don't see Dark Mass and Infernal Hounds on your hotbar. They are by far the most powerful spells in the game. The hounds are very strong and can be spammed until you have an army of them, easily chewing through everything you encounter. Dark Mass (almost always) one-hit kills everything in the entire screen at lvl20 infernal magic, as I recall.

I think it is valid choice. There is separate evil ending* for being evil and there is aligment bar for being Evil or Good. Funny thing is - it was bigger (for the Good side) but started going to the bad side for some reason :M luckily I got Good Ending. Dark Mass is indeed best spell in the game, I was just blind and did not saw it was area effect spell that does not need to be pointed at enemy. I vastly, vastly underestimated Infernal Magic. Should go there but whatever, game is over already. Might play next time when they send me to some dead wasteland with no internet connection with old computer...
And I do have these spells. DM is on [1] and Infernal Hounds on [4] cell.

*final ending movie is the same for Evil and Good side, they just give different subtitles.
yep
I know that because movies can be launched in the game directory via total commander

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've been doing pretty much fuck all these last two weeks except playing the first Gothic.

I never actually finished it so I'm back after at least a 5 or 6 year hiatus to try and finish the old gal for once. Joined the Swamp Camp & encountered a few bugs which dissuaded me a tad. Worst of it was losing my save game after 20 hours. :negative:

I left the game for a few days and then jumped back in yesterday, guess I'll just join the Old Camp instead this time.

A few random points:
  • I'm playing with the system pack; still a nice looking game. Runs smoothly too, whew. Also that music, tho.
  • The game isn't as hard as I remember. I guess being a dumbshit teenager when I first played had something to do with that.
  • I was using Open Locks level 1 on the previous playthrough attempt which made things way too easy imo. No stealing for me this time, although I still managed to gather nearly a thousand ore before even coming close to joining a camp.
  • Mud is annoying as shit still. I don't suppose there's a "sacrifice to the Sleeper" option for this churl?
  • Slightly disappointed I have to wait until almost late game to get a good two handed weapon.
Anyway, Gothic is still one of my all time favourites - a real beauty of a game.

I've also played a fair bit of Horizon: Zero Dawn but nobody cares about that.

Unwanted

lili

Unwanted
Gothic is horrible running simulator. HORRIBLE. I think its the running simulator with teh MOST w-pressing of all time. Slow movement and huge distances made me never get out of early game. Run to mine and back, run to swamp and back - is plain insane boredom. The best I did was farm enough Savengers to get 30 learning point to break into the castle and open most chests. Quit as soon as I am done with it. Combined with flat armor DR its just fucky.
Slightly disappointed I have to wait until almost late game to get a good two handed weapon.
Guy who guards the swamp from mudsharks or whatever can be forced to actually fight them. Lead the sharks to him. He drops a 2k ore, 70dmg twohander.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Yep running was kid of a chore especially at the beginning. Using the speed potions was what i did.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I though the guard at the swamps is invincible or too good for these sharks.
Remember going to the old mine, luring one of the temple guardians to the room with broken machine, mine crawlers and that part you need to pick. He land in the pit with machine with me, whack these beasts and go to the ladder.
You remember ladders in old games (FPS especially)? Oh yes, this was one of these cases. He reach the top of the ladder, you pick ladder and he fall down and die. Enjoy new sword. Just don't let him land on your stupid head...

anus_pounder

Arcane
Haven't been much, but I did do some shopping. Bought the gold edition special pre-order version of Shadow of War and pre-ordered The Surge as well. On the hunt for other other games to pre-order atm.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom