Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Torment: Tides of Numenera

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
How does this game rank alongside Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Pillars, WL2, New Vegas, etc.

Three of these games are not like the others.

You mean one?
YES!:
When you say that you like "crpgs" are you including Dragon Age in that category? I don't see how encouraging developers like Bioware or Bethesda to keep churning out games targeting brain-dead preteen console gamers who hate complexity and are all about popamole button mashing is going to help. I cannot play any of those games. So why should I care what genre they are in? I don't think it is at all useful to try to get more games in the cRPG genre if they all suck. If anything it will teach kids without exposure to the older type of game that all cRPGs are simplistic button-mashing popamole. For me popamole with stats and leveling is not superior to popamole without them because I won't play either one. I don't play popamole. It's boring. I mean maybe when I was 7 I might have enjoyed a bit of it for a while, but it still would have gotten old after a while.

No, of course not. Dragon Age, like Kotor and Jade Empire are console games and have extremely lite rpg emechanics. All of the games from Bioware are completely devoid of challenge. A retard could lietarlly beat them all with any build by just slapping his penis on the mouse. He will eventually beat the game in a reasonable amount of time. I call this type of combat retard-penis combat. All console games are geared towards very stupid people and children because the it takes a lot of sales to pay for AAA graphics. And it just so happens that stupid people are also superficial and eat that shit right up.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
How does this game rank alongside Dragon Age Origins, Dragon Age 2, Pillars, WL2, New Vegas, etc.

Three of these games are not like the others.

You mean one?
You fail to address you are just like the fucking retards I argued with when W&W was released, when Arcanum was released, when PoR was released, when ToEE was released, and when Bloodlines was released. You fucking idiots closed the best rpg developers for child level console trash. You are them. They had fun shitty all over Troika because they were having so much fun playing Dungeon Siege, KotOR, Dragon Age, Fallout: BOS, BG: Dark Alliance, Oblivion, and having the fucking times of your lives on your kid's console games for retards and people who actually don't like rpgs.
"The Codex litteraly created a lolocaust!"

You just went full retard, Roqua. The Codex does not have that power. Troika's games were rightly criticized for their flaws, and rightly loved for their strengths. And the console trash you quote was widely criticized here, your memory is being selective. KotOR escaped it the most because Star Wars, also somehow some morons liked DA in a year where nothing good came out. Otherwise, those games are villified here, or written off as "meh" at best.

This was on RPGDot. I left because the community of RPGDOT in 03 and 04 was basically the same as the rpgcodex today. They just didn't get it and I got fed up with it and arguing with console retards jerking off over the next fancy thing like Dungeon Siege and Jade Empire and shitting on ToEE and Bloodlines. I switched here because there were people with decent taste, and you could at least converse about rpgs normally. You can't do that anymore. I have defend a fucking storyfag game because of all the console baboons and Asian game children on this site who seem to control and run everything.

Also, I am not roqua. I am sure he is a super handsome guy with a huge penis and the mind of a truly gifted genius who is always right about everything but I am not him. Ask the staff. There is absolutely no connection between accounts.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Asian RPGs are great! They are the past(Chrono Trigger), the present(ZELDA!) and the future(Nier: Automata)! The word CRPG now stands for Console Role-Playing Game.
Genrefags BTFO

Of course. The codex hivemind is always right.

Why does it keep quoting the thing above on my other posts? It is showing up by default and I have to delete it for it to not show up. Considering I do not pay attention to what is in this type box it is more confusing to others and probably annoying to the people being quoted since the probably get a alert thing.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
CRPG 비평가들은 반유대 주의자들입니다! 모든 CRPG도 똑같이 좋습니다! 불일치로 부상을 입을 수 있습니다! 피드백은 금지되어야합니다!

workersparty.png

모든 것이 보편적으로 사랑 받았습니다! 내 견해와 일치하지 않는 사실을 무시하십시오! 반체제가 내 성기를 빨아 먹어야한다!

No.

Last edited:

TedNugent

Arcane
Well we're not talking about big expansions-sized DLCs. We're talking about day-fucking-1 cash-grabing armor DLC in a, for fucks sake, text adventure game. This is what we're talking about BN, this.

But....Their publisher made them.

Because....the Kickstarter money wasn't enough to develop the game. :prosper:

Even with the content and the stretch goals cut out...

go back to cod if you think this game has a bad writings
black-guy-gif-star-trek.gif

:nocountryforshitposters:
:hahyou:
:excellent:

Last edited:

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Why does it say I am Roqua in my picture thing? What actual evidence is there of this being true? Is this a guess by staff or do you have any facts to support this statement?

jewboy

Arbiter
No, of course not. Dragon Age, like Kotor and Jade Empire are console games and have extremely lite rpg emechanics. All of the games from Bioware are completely devoid of challenge. A retard could lietarlly beat them all with any build by just slapping his penis on the mouse. He will eventually beat the game in a reasonable amount of time. I call this type of combat retard-penis combat. All console games are geared towards very stupid people and children because the it takes a lot of sales to pay for AAA graphics. And it just so happens that stupid people are also superficial and eat that shit right up.

Hmm. Then I find your position a bit confusing. So we are going to hair split in No True Scotsman fashion about True RPGs and only defend the real ones and not the uh console variety? Fair enough I guess, but it's a hard position to defend because all of the modern cRPGs published by EA/Bioware and Bethesda fit pretty much all the definitions of an RPG at least on paper. I suppose we could argue that only turn based or RTwAP that tries to simulate turn-based (basically IE) should qualify as 'real' cRPGs.

Personally I find it simpler to defend cRPGs written for people with an IQ above 50 and attack the ones written for (full) retards. Or just criticize bad games and honor the good ones. Since most games are shit targeted at LCD consoletards I tend to agree with the Codexian position of hating almost every new game that comes out. Unfortunately a lot of gamers who enjoy modern Bioware and Bethesda games are with us now destroying the codex from within. It really makes me want to retreat to the days when the official Codexian position was that if the game did not have turn based combat it was not worth even talking about. Even BG2 used to get skewered for its 'real time' combat even though with autopause fully engaged it played quite differently from the true real time games that Bethesda was so fond of making. I do think it's fair to say that if a game doesn't have TB combat then the combat it does have is very very likely to be shit, but obviously just because a game does have TB is no guarantee that it won't suck.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
You fucking idiots closed the best rpg developers for child level console trash. You are them. They had fun shitty all over Troika

You just went full retard, Roqua. The Codex does not have that power...
This was on RPGDot. I left because the community of RPGDOT in 03 and 04 was basically the same as the rpgcodex today. They just didn't get it and I got fed up with it and arguing with console retards jerking off over the next fancy thing like Dungeon Siege and Jade Empire and shitting on ToEE and Bloodlines. I switched here because there were people with decent taste, and you could at least converse about rpgs normally. You can't do that anymore. I have defend a fucking storyfag game because of all the console baboons and Asian game children on this site who seem to control and run everything.
So it's the long dead RPGdot that's the culprit for Troika's demise now? lol

I was a member there before the Codex. It was a good website for the news, especially Gothic, and game help, not much for discussion and debates -- much like its successor the Watch. But even if they were bigger than the Codex, they couldn't be responsible for Troika's fate, especially not the users arguing on the forum. No fan website ever had that importance, especially in the eyes of publishers giving out contracts. It's Troika's reputation for buggy games that did them in, because of contracts and circumstances that forced them to release early. That, combined with the false perception that the PC and the serious RPG markets were not where the money was at, because of the rise of consoles and casual gaming. Troika became a risky proposition in the eyes of publishers.

Now, accusing people criticising Numenera of being console peasants is laughable, because Numenera was criticized by those same people for its consolisation, which led in some ways to inXile being butthurt and blacklisting the Codex. It seems to me you're not willing to see the criticism for what it is, and you prefer disparaging the user base instead.

If you think, because of new blood, you can't have debates anymore here at the Codex, then you are wrong. You forget that the Codex slowly gained its "standing" today because of its criticism of games and its debates, and this is why many devs come here, and refer to the Codex's opinions and articles, to this day. This never happened either on the dot or the Watch, because the debates happen here at the Codex. Might that not be exactly why you left the dot for the dex? And you know how good debates happen? When people debating have differing views.

It seems to me that it's you that can't have debates anywhere where your opinion isn't shared by everyone, where people don't want to discuss on your own terms. It is you that is calling others idiots, fucking retards, child level console trash, people that actually don't like rpgs, and console baboons. Those are your words. And you have the gall to say we can't "converse about rpgs normally"? The responses you get are in kind.

Also, I am not roqua. ... Ask the staff.
It's right there on your profile. Either you wrote it, or the staff did.
Nice try roqua.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
A mystery: how could a five-million-dollar Kickstarter executed by veterans of the industry with so much experience and talent result in a fiasco of this magnitude?
Maybe their file server died and backups turned out empty so they had to redo everything from scratch during the last 6 months? This is the only plausible explanation I can think of. Because when you actually spend four years on a software project you don't need a large budget or team to produce something solid.

Incidentally, my theory would also explain Kevin's sudden departure. After a mishap of such magnitude you're gonna lose your Project Director job no matter who you are.

Last edited:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
These comments are giving me metastasis. I don't even.
Genghis Chron must be a paid shill for inXile (or is it Techland?). Not the first time I see him spew allegations against the Codex's character, of nazism and other bullshit on Steam. (Can't find Steam threads, is that normal or was it deleted?) He doesn't act alone either, there's always some other account that agrees with himand posts the same type of inane shit to discredit dissenting opinions to give the illusion there's a community consensus on this.

If he isn't paid to defend inXile/Techland at all costs though, he really has some issues.
No he is someone from codex/ been destroyed by codex. One of his nick names was Cleveland Mark Blakemore. It's unlikely that he is cleve, as his current nickname is clearly Russian, but that means he knows codex well.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Genghis Chron must be a paid shill for inXile (or is it Techland?).
No he is someone from codex/ been destroyed by codex. One of his nick names was Cleveland Mark Blakemore. It's unlikely that he is cleve, as his current nickname is clearly Russian, but that means he know codex well.
How do you know?
His profile is private...

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Genghis Chron must be a paid shill for inXile (or is it Techland?).
No he is someone from codex/ been destroyed by codex. One of his nick names was Cleveland Mark Blakemore. It's unlikely that he is cleve, as his current nickname is clearly Russian, but that means he know codex well.
How do you know?
His profile is private...
Click on his nickname(in the profile page even if it's private) when registered through the steam program and it shows it's nick history.

Edit. You can also do it through browser.
upload_2017-3-15_9-10-49.png

Last edited:

Prime Junta

Maybe their file server died and backups turned out empty so they had to redo everything from scratch during the last 6 months? This is the only plausible explanation I can think of. Because when you actually spend four years on a software project you don't need a large budget or team to produce something solid.

Incidentally, my theory would also explain Kevin's sudden departure. After a mishap of such magnitude you're gonna lose your Project Director job no matter who you are.

If the project director is responsible for the backup system, they need to fire everyone from the CEO down.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Personally I find it simpler to defend cRPGs written for people with an IQ above 50 and attack the ones written for (full) retards. Or just criticize bad games and honor the good ones. Since most games are shit targeted at LCD consoletards I tend to agree with the Codexian position of hating almost every new game that comes out. Unfortunately a lot of gamers who enjoy modern Bioware and Bethesda games are with us now destroying the codex from within. It really makes me want to retreat to the days when the official Codexian position was that if the game did not have turn based combat it was not worth even talking about. Even BG2 used to get skewered for its 'real time' combat even though with autopause fully engaged it played quite differently from the true real time games that Bethesda was so fond of making. I do think it's fair to say that if a game doesn't have TB combat then the combat it does have is very very likely to be shit, but obviously just because a game does have TB is no guarantee that it won't suck.

RTwP vs. TB isn't as important as some like to think.

Prime Junta

Project director is ultimately responsible for everything.

Only in very small or badly-managed startups. If you're at all bigger, i.e. running more than one project at once, you need to have someone else who's responsible for the shared infrastructure. Otherwise you'll either have every project running its own ad-hoc infrastructure, or joint responsibility for the shared infrastructure, and joint responsibility doesn't work. Either way you get shitty infrastructure that costs more.

If inXile is run this way -- which wouldn't surprise me! -- then the responsibility for that is ultimately the CEO's. Hence, fire everybody, burn the office building to the ground, and start over.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
RTwP vs. TB isn't as important as some like to think.
Good overall plot isn't as important as some like to think. (see Divinity: OS, ToEE, Gothic)
Good dialogue isn't as important as some like to think. (see Divinity: OS, ToEE)
Good combat encounters aren't as important as some like to think. (see Bloodlines, PS:Torment, Arcanum, etc.)
Nice graphics aren't as important as some like to think. (see Arcanum, supposedly AoD and other indies, etc.)
Games aren't as important as some like to think. (see someone else's life)
Life isn't as important as some like to think. (kill urself)

:troll:

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
YES!:
When you say that you like "crpgs" are you including Dragon Age in that category? I don't see how encouraging developers like Bioware or Bethesda to keep churning out games targeting brain-dead preteen console gamers who hate complexity and are all about popamole button mashing is going to help. I cannot play any of those games. So why should I care what genre they are in? I don't think it is at all useful to try to get more games in the cRPG genre if they all suck. If anything it will teach kids without exposure to the older type of game that all cRPGs are simplistic button-mashing popamole. For me popamole with stats and leveling is not superior to popamole without them because I won't play either one. I don't play popamole. It's boring. I mean maybe when I was 7 I might have enjoyed a bit of it for a while, but it still would have gotten old after a while.

How is that different from TToN?

You fail to address you are just like the fucking retards I argued with when W&W was released, when Arcanum was released, when PoR was released, when ToEE was released, and when Bloodlines was released. You fucking idiots closed the best rpg developers for child level console trash. You are them. They had fun shitty all over Troika because they were having so much fun playing Dungeon Siege, KotOR, Dragon Age, Fallout: BOS, BG: Dark Alliance, Oblivion, and having the fucking times of your lives on your kid's console games for retards and people who actually don't like rpgs.

You just went full retard, Roqua. The Codex does not have that power. Troika's games were rightly criticized for their flaws, and rightly loved for their strengths. And the console trash you quote was widely criticized here, your memory is being selective. KotOR escaped it the most because Star Wars, also somehow some morons liked DA in a year where nothing good came out. Otherwise, those games are villified here, or written off as "meh" at best.

Do they get paid? Because I am not, so maybe I should PM DU about my payment?

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Good overall plot isn't as important as some like to think. (see Divinity: OS, ToEE, Gothic)
Good dialogue isn't as important as some like to think. (see Divinity: OS, ToEE)
Good combat encounters aren't as important as some like to think. (see Bloodlines, PS:Torment, Arcanum, etc.)
Nice graphics aren't as important as some like to think. (see Arcanum, supposedly AoD and other indies, etc.)
Games aren't as important as some like to think. (see someone else's life)
Life isn't as important as some like to think. (kill urself)

Making a good game requires more care than just slapping your favourite design elements together.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
the days when the official Codexian position was that if the game did not have turn based combat it was not worth even talking about. Even BG2 used to get skewered for its 'real time' combat
So it's true that the Codex once consisted exclusively of TB fags? Oh, what a fabulous age it must have been!

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Do they get paid? Because I am not, so maybe I should PM DU about my payment?
It's tricky getting paid. And be advised, DU pays only in parrots or butthurt, so it's a gamble. But be wise about it, and you can make 1 million in a week, just like me!

If you want tips and tricks, PM me and we'll discuss the details.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom