Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crispy™ What is up with the really sluggish keyboard feedback on forums?

circ

Arcane
I'm not the world's fastest typer, but when I can sometimes finish two sentences before it even registers - you gotta wonder - what's going on?

Get a new keyboard lol.

Get a new brian homosexpants.

Is the CIA now buffering certain threads to catch illegal terrorists? Actually it only seems to affect quick replies, typing this post is still a little laggy, but not as bad as quick reply.

I'm a little out of the loop but around say, end of last year, shit was still kinda speedy. Relatively speaking. Or typing.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
It's the 6 million buttons slowing down the website. DU made a backroom deal with ISP's to hike up the loading times for the website so they charge more for data and compensate him in return.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Once upon a time a man typed in a box. His typing speed was impressive, clocking in at around 75 wpm. And as he typed, the characters annoyingly appeared with each finger press, virtually as instantly as he pressed them.

He was thus able to conclude that there was no problem here on this end.

circ, you got some kind of spell checker or something running?

mondblut

Arcane
Confirm the OP. Typing speed progressively slowed down with the introduction of moar buttons. Esp. noticeable at the end of a long page full of shit posts*. The recent button pride elimination all but solved the issue, but did not last.

Firefox, yes.

* - it might or might not be that ignored posts and/or "there are more posts here, click to see" stuff also affect this. in short, all that gay ajax web 2.0 realtime updated garbage.

Bring back phpBB!

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member
* - it might or might not be that ignored posts and/or "there are more posts here, click to see" stuff also affect this. in short, all that gay ajax web 2.0 realtime updated garbage.
Find thread where this affects you, unignore users in that thread, reload thread, let me know if that made it any faster for you.

flabbyjack

Arcane
6igadI.gif

mondblut

Arcane
Find thread where this affects you, unignore users in that thread, reload thread, let me know if that made it any faster for you.

Apparently not. It was just a shot in the dark, since I tend to post in threads already full of embedded crap and ignored posts.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
http://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/airbus-unveils-self-driving-flying-car-concept.114074/

an example thread where this oddness happens.

Not a big deal but though you should be aware.
Can you screenshot what the thread looks like to you, as well as the alert you're getting.

7hwVYiv.jpg

Perfectly normal but it says show ignored content when there's obviously none in the thread. Happens all the time but not all threads.

In this case Blaine is here to be ignored, but it also happens when there is no one I ignore posting in the thread. After I click on show ignored then it goes back to normal and the message never comes up again for that thread.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Codex is the most CPU intensive site besides YouTube that I browse.Typing and displaying is slow and latch on all the devices I have with a weak CPU. (Computers or Android )
Disabling rich editing makes it a bit faster.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
Speaking of ignored users. Sometimes I get a message saying there is ignored content by Anthony Davis and nuxcom. If I click then nothing shows. Occasionally I get other false positives but it's generally those two.
Solution: Don't ignore people no matter how inane their posts are. That way, you won't lose the context of other posts and won't have these glitches.

Also, this problem is fixed for me by switching to Chrome, which I don't want to do, but it was noticeably faster when we got rid of the button parade for a few days.

Edit:
Secondly, keyboard lag was reduced when I whitelisted the 'Dex on AdBlocker Plus. Loadtimes were increased significantly however. Do you use a adblocker mondblut? If so, try disabling it for the Codex, and see if that works.

Unwanted

Charles Eli Cheese

Neckbeard Shitlord
Edgy Shitposter
Speaking of ignored users. Sometimes I get a message saying there is ignored content by Anthony Davis and nuxcom. If I click then nothing shows. Occasionally I get other false positives but it's generally those two.
Solution: Don't ignore people no matter how inane their posts are. That way, you won't lose the context of other posts and won't have these glitches.

Also, this problem is fixed for me by switching to Chrome, which I don't want to do, but it was noticeably faster when we got rid of the button parade for a few days.

I have to ignore most of them because of the fucking alert shit. I will get literally 50 alerts of retards spamming me with ratings if I don't, which drowns out all of my real alerts. And I don't like chrome.

Seems like it shoould be easy to fix this issue I mean how complicated can the code be, but whatever.

DarkUnderlord

Staff Member

I have to ignore most of them because of the fucking alert shit. I will get literally 50 alerts of retards spamming me with ratings if I don't, which drowns out all of my real alerts. And I don't like chrome.

Seems like it shoould be easy to fix this issue I mean how complicated can the code be, but whatever.
Disable notifications for alerts in your preferences. If you feel egotistical you can always click on the page that shows your recently received ratings.

And yes, most of the problems here are caused by AdBlock. Turns out if you block certain scripts, shit doesn't work. I mean go figure. Especially when it's the Javascript intensive rich text editor that you're using. Switch to the non-rich text editor.

Aenra

Boss is being very considerate and kind today.. i'm almost worried :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom