Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
What the fuck does Carpenter know about games.

He's a pretty avid gamer. He worked on that abortion called F.3.A.R. , although to what extent I don't know (probably consultation so they could parade him while marketing the game)

Anyway, I've been playing the game this past few days, and it's pretty, pretty good. The open world stuff has already grown a bit thin for me, but in comparison to other open world games, they kept it simple and reduced bulshit and padding to a managable rate. The side quests are decent enough, they're Witcher 3 lite. A tiny bit too fetchy for my taste, but not enough to bore me yet. The storyline so far got my attention but not much else. The mystery driving the story forward is compelling and intriguing, and the world is interesting, but seems pretty relaxed in terms of narrative thus far.

For now, I'm enjoying it a lot. I would say it's major flaws are the combat against human enemies, which are boring as fuck (they're not too common, though), and the loot system. Here everything are crafting components, which is fitting for the setting, but good god, put some weapons, armor and such as rewards for side quests, not just random junk. Making merchants almost your only way to get new stuff was a mistake.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
GPU-Based Procedural Placement in Horizon Zero Dawn
https://www.guerrilla-games.com/read/gpu-based-procedural-placement-in-horizon-zero-dawn

I believe this will be the future production of all open world games.
Pretty interesting.
However, I'd prefer an approach where the decoration of the world is done by an AI instead of generic, configurable algorithms covering everything. Even if it does take longer.
The result here only looks that good because of a really good art direction and $$$. Apply to something less AAA and you will see the procedural nature of it pretty quickly.

That said, it's surely a good use for the GPU and utilizing that better is indeed an important future tech.

Murk

Arcane
RLM hackraudes approve, apparently

seems like witcher 3 with robot dinosaurs and a redheaded archer (that's got to be a cliche by now)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Please, can anyone explain to me why this is more than, dodge, dodge, left click, left click, get useless salvage then repeat? Or please follow the red breadcrumb trail but this time it isn't red, it is purple? From what I saw from the videos, unless you are an old lady with arthritis, you will get how to kill the mechanical dinos pretty quick and based on my previous experience with AAA open world shit, you will fight the same fights until the end of the game.

At least this has the ambient story telling that Honest Hearts had? Or is it just Hollywood schlock with cutscenes galore? Aloy seems to have that predestined Mary Sue look for her that make me bored just looking.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Guys guys, why is there a console exclusive action game in general RPG discussion?
It's an action RPG, I guess.

Either way, it's very good.

Please, can anyone explain to me why this is more than, dodge, dodge, left click, left click, get useless salvage then repeat? Or please follow the red breadcrumb trail but this time it isn't red, it is purple? From what I saw from the videos, unless you are an old lady with arthritis, you will get how to kill the mechanical dinos pretty quick and based on my previous experience with AAA open world shit, you will fight the same fights until the end of the game.

At least this has the ambient story telling that Honest Hearts had? Or is it just Hollywood schlock with cutscenes galore? Aloy seems to have that predestined Mary Sue look for her that make me bored just looking.
Different robo dinos have different vulnerabilities that you need to exploit to fight them effectively - or you could just max stealth, hide and plink at them with puny arrows from the distance if all else fails, sure.

There are a lot of robot types, though some of them are "like X but tougher and with a minigun!" plus you get all the corrupted varieties. Most of the robots can't be one hit killed using the stealth take downs either, but you get enough shiny toys to deal with them

In any case, if you break in hives at the mere mention of next gen open world popamole, this game is not for you, but otherwise it's well worth it.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Yeah, it's fun to heat some of the robots up until their internals are on fire and they explode, taking out those around them, like the crocodile robots.

Bleed the Man

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm closing to the endgame now (I think), and yeah, game is really fucking good, no question. I thought by the end I would end up bored with the open world, but they did a really good job of, while just making what every other open world does, really restrict the padding to only the essential. Instead of a bazillion towers to climb to unlock the map, here you climb 5 robotic dinosaurs, and they're completely optional (travelling regularly unlocks the map normally, climbing the dinos just allow to unlock all the other parts you haven't visited yet). The other typical stuff like bandit camps, again, very limited in number (5? maybe 6?). The collectibles are also more reasonable, although I ignored them completely as well as the hunting lodge stuff, becuase it just bores me.

I'm very impressed with Guerrilla, as someone who has played most Killzones, I didn't think they had it in them to be honest, specially after the borefest that wast Killzone Shadowfall. Hiring Witcher 3 designers might have helped them, as well as John Gonzalez. After Shadows of Mordor, which is crap and its narrative is also awful, I was skeptical with him, to be honest. But, while the writing itself is still spotty and could be improved greatly, the worldbulding and the plot line itself is damn compelling. I'm in the middle of the heavy plot revelations right now, and they worked pretty well so far. If someone told me I would like the narrative of a Guerrilla game more than Tides of Numenera I would have dismissed it outright, but, here we are. It's a good sci fi story, tropey at first, relaying more on the setting than the storyline to keep the interest, until it finds its footing later on and becomes something more distinct and compelling. Hopefully it doesn't shit the bed by the end.

All in all, terrific game, I really recommend it unless certain AAA tropes are a deal breaker, or controllers are a no no. Also, set the difficulty on very difficult and don't look back. I went with it from the very beginning and I can't imagine normal or even hard to be an acceptable level of chalenge, and would cause the gameplay to be more rote. Very difficult in any case isn't very difficult, but it relies heavily on not messing up, which means the first couple of times you fight a machine, the fights will be really intense, and the rest of times, it's enough to be fun and engaging but once you have your strategy laid out, very rarely will problems arise.

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
I'm closing to the endgame now (I think), and yeah, game is really fucking good, no question. I thought by the end I would end up bored with the open world, but they did a really good job of, while just making what every other open world does, really restrict the padding to only the essential. Instead of a bazillion towers to climb to unlock the map, here you climb 5 robotic dinosaurs, and they're completely optional (travelling regularly unlocks the map normally, climbing the dinos just allow to unlock all the other parts you haven't visited yet). The other typical stuff like bandit camps, again, very limited in number (5? maybe 6?). The collectibles are also more reasonable, although I ignored them completely as well as the hunting lodge stuff, becuase it just bores me.

I'm very impressed with Guerrilla, as someone who has played most Killzones, I didn't think they had it in them to be honest, specially after the borefest that wast Killzone Shadowfall. Hiring Witcher 3 designers might have helped them, as well as John Gonzalez. After Shadows of Mordor, which is crap and its narrative is also awful, I was skeptical with him, to be honest. But, while the writing itself is still spotty and could be improved greatly, the worldbulding and the plot line itself is damn compelling. I'm in the middle of the heavy plot revelations right now, and they worked pretty well so far. If someone told me I would like the narrative of a Guerrilla game more than Tides of Numenera I would have dismissed it outright, but, here we are. It's a good sci fi story, tropey at first, relaying more on the setting than the storyline to keep the interest, until it finds its footing later on and becomes something more distinct and compelling. Hopefully it doesn't shit the bed by the end.

All in all, terrific game, I really recommend it unless certain AAA tropes are a deal breaker, or controllers are a no no. Also, set the difficulty on very difficult and don't look back. I went with it from the very beginning and I can't imagine normal or even hard to be an acceptable level of chalenge, and would cause the gameplay to be more rote. Very difficult in any case isn't very difficult, but it relies heavily on not messing up, which means the first couple of times you fight a machine, the fights will be really intense, and the rest of times, it's enough to be fun and engaging but once you have your strategy laid out, very rarely will problems arise.
I also enjoyed what they did with the dungeons, and how each optional dungeon you did allowed the unlocking of extra override powers.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Let's be honest here, the story is basically a well done YA novel, but that's pretty good for a video game.

I still would like to know how a bunch of techno barbarian tribes, even using the cauldron technology to help, are supposed to rebuild a true AI that took all the resources of the Old World to create, like GAIA suggested in her goodbye letter. Unless the entire thing has redundancies outta the ass and there is a "In case of emergency, break glass" button somewhere that just builds one for them. So I guess the ecosystem is still doomed, it would just take longer than Faro Plague 2.0.

Speaking of Ted Faro, I would also like to know what genius gave him access rights to override the Alphas on the ZD project (unless in an uncharacteristic learning moment he managed to have some backdoor installed for once and none of the people actually working on the thing noticed).

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What the fuck does Carpenter know about games.
What do you know about games?

J_C = John Carpenter confirmed.
1RwafaM.gif

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shit man, I didn't know John Carpenter declined so much he shacked up with old Hungarian women.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom