Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Amiga Rage Thread

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Hah really? High bar to clear - I had everything you listed except that.

Astral Rag

Arcane
Same here, well almost anyway. I played those games on my father's 25mhz 386SX. He equipped the PC with a 2 speed cd-rom drive when those became somewhat affordable so me and my brother could try Myst, the 7th Guest and such. It was a slow machine, even back then, but it could handle Doom 1 fine for the most part, my young self was devastated when he found out that the later levels of Doom 2 proved way too demanding.

I played my first computer games on a 286 with a green monochrome monitor.

We were not abnormals though, so we always had run of the mill M$ operating systems at our house
:troll:

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Amiga CRPGs all look awful, unless they happen to be also on PC
The amiga was a much more affordable machine, while i was gaming with 32 colors on screen, the other kids had either an atari st or a pc. Pc players had CGA graphics not even ega , it was too expensive, none had soundblaster or roland mT 32 , they usedinternal beeper.
RPG were gorgeous on that machine.Even in the end vs SVGA rigs it was still holding ground .150$ amiga 500 vs 1800$ pc .

Amiga:

PC:

There's also quite few exclusives not on pc, like blackcrypt and fate wich still outclass all other blobbers . Fate speed run is 166 hours....

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
To be fair if you want to compare machine of similar price .Amiga 1200 was around 599$ without monitor but you could use TV , a 386 SVGA more like 1800$, the basic amiga 500 probably around 150$ in 1992.

look at the amiga 1200 AGA version of eye of the beholder 2

And pc:

Both are similar and gorgeous.

Last edited:

pippin

re: EOTB comparison, I still believe the colors look way more vibrant in the Amiga. From what I've seen (not first hand sadly) this was the case for most of the multi platform releases, the Amiga had this unique visual identity that stuck with me since I was a kid, my SNES was cool but the Amiga just looked so weird, so colorful and expressive but not saturated.

Time to repost a source of Amiga rage:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
while i was gaming with 32 colors on screen, the other kids had either an atari st or a pc.

Aww, look. In its extreme butthurt the lameo marked my thousand or so posts on the Codex as "shit". What a fuckin' lameo. And now it pretends it was the only cool kid at school with an Amiga. tbqh, that is fuckin' hilarious! :lol:

As is the lameo's parrotting of the Amiga's 32 colors as if that's the limit of its palette, when even the casual Amigan knows that many of their games displayed dozens more than that (and without the AGA chipset). Lrn how to boast, you lameo. Notice how the lameo doesn't mention the blitter, the copper and the DMA? That's because it doesn't know what those are. It doesn't know what truly made Amiga gaming and demoscene special, what separated it from ST/PC.

Then the lameo cites the AGA version of EotB, like it means anything. A fuckin' PC port. A "game" that was always superior on the PC. AGA came too late. It wasn't up to spec, so it never caught on. Common fuckin' knowledge for a non-lameo. It doesn't know what the flagship Amiga titles are, the ones that showcased its true heyday. It only knows the gay-bar RPGs that it found out about from YouTube 20 years after the fact, none of which tapped into custom chips.

Two words for you, you fuckin' lameo: bathtub and toaster.

Mortmal

Arcane
while i was gaming with 32 colors on screen, the other kids had either an atari st or a pc.

Aww, look. In its extreme butthurt the lameo marked my thousand or so posts on the Codex as "shit". What a fuckin' lameo. And now it pretends it was the only cool kid at school with an Amiga. tbqh, that is fuckin' hilarious! :lol:

As is the lameo's parrotting of the Amiga's 32 colors as if that's the limit of its palette, when even the casual Amigan knows that many of their games displayed dozens more than that (and without the AGA chipset). Lrn how to boast, you lameo. Notice how the lameo doesn't mention the blitter, the copper and the DMA? That's because it doesn't know what those are. It doesn't know what truly made Amiga gaming and demoscene special, what separated it from ST/PC.

Then the lameo cites the AGA version of EotB, like it means anything. A fuckin' PC port. A "game" that was always superior on the PC. AGA came too late. It wasn't up to spec, so it never caught on. Common fuckin' knowledge for a non-lameo. It doesn't know what the flagship Amiga titles are, the ones that showcased its true heyday. It only knows the gay-bar RPGs that it found out about from YouTube 20 years after the fact, none of which tapped into custom chips.

Two words for you, you fuckin' lameo: bathtub and toaster.
I am not talking about the demo scene, i am talking about t he average use of those computers wich were used as improved console most of the time, that means 32 colors even if you can put 4096 on screen. I never intended to picture myself as the cool kid with an amiga, i wasnt the only one, i want to describe what was gaming back then. No one owned a gaming pc .
AS for the shit rating my only regreats is to not have enough mature alts, time to give some weapons of mass destruction to other people i guess...

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
This thread has motivated me to archive rpgcodex ultimate n+1 dicksize enlargement: I now have (almost) all legacy 8 and 16-bit computers in existence in hardware*.

Bro "entertaining" himself with Castlevania on the SNES (Kacknoob ended up rage quitting):
57RsGdy.jpg

Fighting snek in fate
hENZPX9.jpg

We are currently going some of the old Gems. Any suggestion what we should definitely play?

I still need USB versions of the various controllers.

by means of an FPGA

It might help with your credibility farming post if you actually knew the difference between a NES and a SNES (here's a hint, CV1-3 weren't on the SNES), and didn't play 4:3 games stretched out horribly on a 16:9 laggy lcd.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
It might help with your credibility farming post if you actually knew the difference between a NES and a SNES (here's a hint, CV1-3 weren't on the SNES), and didn't play 4:3 games stretched out horribly on a 16:9 laggy lcd.
I am sorry for your crippling autism, but just because I am well aware of the difference does not mean I commit overly much time to proofreading forum posts from smartphones.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

Commodore UK fame David Pleasance writing a book on Commodore, warts and all. Damn...I'd happily pledge if I wouldn't be fucking broke.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Oh btw. afaik Eye of the Beholder AGA-versions were made just couple of years ago, they were originally just for OCS/ECS. I used to be big time Amiga-user and I have to say that amiga was practically dead when Commodore went bankrupt, if they'd actually survive and manage to make Hombre on schedule for 1995-1996, they could've rocketed back on top though.

Last edited:

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Immortal words of a disgruntled programmer:

"If ST/Amiga programmers think that they are so great, how come all the ones I have come across are spineless, pathetic excuses for human beings...?"

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I know I'm late but have to comment on conversation on the first page and I've probably said this before...IMO Amiga's hayday was in late 80s and up to about '91. Amiga started to really lose steam in 1991 and 1992 when PC got, for example, Ultima Underworld, Ultima 7 etc, and final nail in the coffin (beside C='s bankrupcy) was Doom. So fucking many Amiga-users switched to PC because amiga-games of that era were shit compared to PC-games, there was no way to compete. Arcade-game segment was overtaken by PSX, who cornered that end of the market with other consoles.

I took off my Amiga-tinted glasses, and in the hindsight all the PPC-expansions, tower kits, PCI-expansions which came in late 90s/early 2000s were desperate attempts to keep amiga expandable, but amiga-userbase had shrunk too much and lost too many good software developers. I don't regret staying with Amiga till 2001-2002 because PC market was fucking crazy back then, and pc-hardware went obsolete fucking quickly back then, and even with Hombre (which could've been amazing) would've had hard time keeping up with PC power creep.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Oh btw. afaik Eye of the Beholder AGA-versions were made just couple of years ago

The PC versions of the AGA versions only came out "a couple of years ago", the original AGA versions for the Amiga came out closer to 10 years ago.

Time flies when you get older.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's true that a great deal of the amiga software was technically inferior, but there are reasons for it besides the the obvious. The default computer model had few available memory, and games were made for running on floppies and floppy speed lead to all the lags, interrupts when playing music etc because games were made to stream from floppy into small buffers, ie: lesser common denominator bullshit.

There are workarounds, which are pretty amazing. For example this section of this tutorial shows the different between a WHDLoad prepared game with a 'precache' setting (hacked to run on amiga hd and to not copy to buffer) vs the floppy:

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
interrupts when playing music

Citations pls.

And yeah, I run WHDLoad setup these days but that's not due to "interrupts".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom