Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Weasel
I remember looking through the list of possible mutations in Numenera... stuff like thick fur, acid blood and insectoid body parts.

But interesting to hear that a "mutation" affecting your melanin levels is not allowed and triggers Monte... guess it would be just too far-fetched for the setting. :dance:

ArchAngel

Arcane
If everyone would have a clue about about what the setting says about humans before talking it would be much better. There were not 9 civilizations of humans nor humans evolving and mutating for a billion years. The humans that exist currently in Numenera have appeared relatively recently essentially by "magic" probably just so Monte Cook can do his "diversity is when everyone is brown" utopia.

The 9 civilizations would make much more sense if it'd be set something like 10,000 years in the future, even cursory clance in the history shows that around europe and mesopotamia there's already been lot more during known history.
These are not 9 civilization in sense we know. Each of the 9 were major civilizations that lasted a long time a had access to incredible powers (like transdimensional travel, or were center of the a space empire or could control time and so on). It is even said that whole history of humans that we know might have been part of just one of these or even just something that happened during one of these but had little effect and didn't get to the the one that defined that Age.

Even so 9 civilizations in span of fucking billion years is pretty fucking retarted.
Not if some of them reigned for millions of years. If you are a species that can control time and space, you can make sure you survive for a long long time.

Jeff Graw

StarChart Interactive
Developer
I really liked Wasteland 2, even though many people around here thought it was underwhelming.

How does Torment compared to that? It's okay but disappointing and isn't a worthy sucessor of its lineage, or it's just not good?

I really liked Wasteland 2 also. In my own experience Numenera is merely OK. It's not particularly good or bad. I can't think of any RPG with a worse combat system, but that's a relatively small (if immensely unfun and annoying) part of the game. The writing isn't as good as PS:T's, but is still solidly above average. The biggest problem is that the characters, the story, and the setting are all (with a few exceptions) bland and/or incohesive.

As some other posters noticed, there's definitely a hint of SJWness in there (eg. it seems like somewhere around 85% of the "kick ass warrior" stereotypes are women), but truth be told it's fairly minor, and while it certainly doesn't help the game any, the magnitude of the damage is minuscule and basically ignorable unless you're a raving MRA, perhaps.

Despite the flaws, if this game would have been made by some nameless indie without appropriating the Torment branding, it probably would have been met with a much better reception from diehards. I certainly would have enjoyed it more if my expectations weren't as high.

Madawc

Educated
Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I finished it 2 days ago. Not that anyone would care, but here are my impressions:

- Main story had some good moments but overall it's badly paced and lacks a proper buildup/development. I liked the ending - I nearly shed a tear, because I'm an emotional pussy.
- Follower NPCs were a disappointment. I wanted them to actually have their own side quests (not just some rather small interactions here and there) and be more involved in MCs story. I liked Erritis and Rhin, but their characters feel less fleshed out than Eder, Durance or Grieving Mother.
- Combat was alright. The crisis system is a pretty cool concept, albeit not used at its full potential. I liked the Anechoic Lazaret and the Anchorage crises.
- The game could use less text. I can't believe I'm saying this, since I'm a story fag and all that. There were way too many moments when I felt entering a new area would be a chore (gah, I need to talk to another 10 new NPCs and exhaust all their dialogue before moving on).
- I liked some of the areas - Sagus Cliffs by the end (when you're finally figuring out all the stuff), the Valley and especially the Bloom.
- The UI is laughably bad.

Overall a flawed game with some shining moments. I might give it another go in a few years, especially if they release a DC version, like they did for Wasteland.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
But interesting to hear that a "mutation" affecting your melanin levels is not allowed and triggers Monte... guess it would be just too far-fetched for the setting. :dance:
No, that is just because it is the kind of shit done by 12-year-olds who think they've edgy.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I really liked Wasteland 2, even though many people around here thought it was underwhelming.

How does Torment compared to that? It's okay but disappointing and isn't a worthy sucessor of its lineage, or it's just not good?

Torment is shit. Mediocre RPG, goddamn awful videogame. Wasteland 2, on the other hand, "sort of good RPG, fun videogame".

Don't even bother buying Torment, get it from other means iif you must, but even then it is a waste of time. When a game doesn't take the second chance I give it, I know it is crap. Games I've given second chances to and delivered:
  1. New Vegas.
  2. Gothic.
  3. Planescape: Torment.
  4. Wasteland 2
But Torment? (Fuck, why did they need that word in the title?) You are better off playing Recettear. At least I could uninstall that without thinking "what a piece of shit".

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism

Torment is shit. Mediocre RPG, goddamn awful videogame. Wasteland 2, on the other hand, "sort of good RPG, fun videogame".

Don't even bother buying Torment, get it from other means iif you must, but even then it is a waste of time. When a game doesn't take the second chance I give it, I know it is crap. Games I've given second chances to and delivered:
  1. New Vegas.
  2. Gothic.
  4. Wasteland 2
But Torment? (Fuck, why did they need that word in the title?) You are better off playing Recettear. At least I could uninstall that without thinking "what a piece of shit".

Dude you played it just for 2-3 hours...

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
I remember looking through the list of possible mutations in Numenera... stuff like thick fur, acid blood and insectoid body parts.

But interesting to hear that a "mutation" affecting your melanin levels is not allowed and triggers Monte...

Well, keep in mind he's a ginger. Like all gingers, he doesn't do well in the sun, and so he has melanin envy.

He also has soul envy.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Dude you played it just for 2-3 hours...

Does the writing jump to amazing? Do the Crisises get fast and dynamic? Do the graphics suddenly look like something worth 5 million? Does Fargo stop sucking dicks? Do the portraits become competent? Does the sound and music design become memorable?

Unless the answer is "yes" to all of those questions, three hours is more than enough to judge this particular game.

Stokowski

Arcane
Just call it numanuma.

QRWU4bU.jpg
QRWU4bU.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
just finish the goddamn game at least once

Don't listen to this faggot the game is still not worth your time past those first maps; there is no California to make it fun somewhere its just banal story, shit combat and boring walls of pseudo philosophical drivel... all in setting made around how SJWs imagine future.

Last edited:

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2

1. New Vegas.
  2. Gothic.
  4. Wasteland 2

I actually agree with the general meaning conveyed by your post, but I must find myself having to ask:

Why did you even have to give Gothic a second chance? It's really brilliant from the very onset, apart for the retarded controls (which, mind you, are a critical part of the Gothic experience)...

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I actually agree with the general meaning conveyed by your post, but I must find myself having to ask:

Why did you even have to give Gothic a second chance? It's really brilliant from the very onset, apart for the retarded controls (which, mind you, are a critical part of the Gothic experience)...

There you go. Obviously eventually I realized it was part of the Gothic experience, and the game couldn't do without those controls. But they made getting into the game very hard.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
just finish the goddamn game at least once

Finishing this game at least once is the same as finishing dnd once: utterly pointless. Which is why I gave up on dnd and PLATO games early on. Torment may not take 1000 hours to finish, but those six hours really felt eternal.

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
They never were a problem for me. Extremely easy to adjust to and they're perfectly serviceable. Just initially unintuitive.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
First thing: i liked the game. Yes, the combat was mediocre, the graphic was atrocious, many locations were mis-matched, the budget cuts were more than evident... but still, i liked it.

Second thing: I guess that since we're in an age where the newest fallout is a fps with absymal dialogues, the baldur's gate spiritual successor a bland game and the newest elder scroll game as inspired and alien as a mug in a coffe shop, we shouldn't be surprised by a sequel to torment that's somewhat mediocre in itself. I say that in 10 years, when we will have Kickstarters for a spiritual sequel to Oblivion, people will remember this game fondly.
What the fuck are you talking about? Pillars is better than anything InExile can hope to release. Do everyone a favor and sell your computer and give the funds to Fargo's next Kickstarter.

I wasn't surprised Torment was shit because Wasteland 2 was shit. Pretty easy to see unless you are a Cuckdex member.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom