Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software The Dark Souls Discussion Thread

Invictus

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Capra is rough as a caster (slow casts with comparatively low damage + getting hit even once while getting to the ledge probably means you're dead; magic shield works well, though), but most of the difficulty comes from him being an earlygame boss and not having many options yet. And yea, for gaping dragon you'll run out of casts if you go in with any summons.

Sorcery is fairly powerful in DS1, but it starts off slow. You'll eventually unlock some of the bigger and badder blue icons + some specialized mage gear, which combined make many enemies and bosses waaay easier than melee (contrast this with DS3 where mages kinda got fucked except for invis-cheesing through maps).
Really? I found magic to be the easy
mode for Dark Souls, perhaps even more than pyro because you can literally only use magic if you choose; if you start with a caster and go directly to the Blacksmith in New Londo to buy his spells you have 60 casts soul missile spell and with upwards of INT of 20 you can kill pretty much any enemy in 3 4 hits for the first half of the game and the started catalyst can pretty much take you though Anor Londo and the Lordvessel
Dont know if because I am so familiar with Kapra that I wasted him with a mage by keeping my distance and peppering him with spells, that worked with The Gapping Dragon by having Solaire Tank him while I casted slower spells or switched to faster casts.... hell by that time you can pretty much have 90 soul arrow spells if you rescued the mage too

SymbolicFrank

Magister
If you can prevent the boss from hitting you for about half an hour, anything works. Otherwise, it is the question if he can hit you before you can slowly whittle his health down.

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
What exactly do you need to do to spawn Solaire in Lost Izalith? I want to talk to him so that it''s guaranteed I will be able to summon him later. But right now he's standing at the Sunlight Altar... how to move him? Should I kill the Firesage ? (Never liked that fight. )

Been multiplaying at Duke's last evening, in a team in which all 3 of us wore the Xanthous set. Good times.

Beggar

Cipher
Dark Souls 2 DLC could have been a standout in the series, but of course, the gameplay of DS2 itself ruined everything. But what an amazing level design there. Some areas remind of Kings Field 4. I just hope one day someone will put those DLC locations to DS1 engine

What exactly do you need to do to spawn Solaire in Lost Izalith? I want to talk to him so that it''s guaranteed I will be able to summon him later. But right now he's standing at the Sunlight Altar... how to move him? Should I kill the Firesage ? (Never liked that fight. )

Been multiplaying at Duke's last evening, in a team in which all 3 of us wore the Xanthous set. Good times.

You have to talk to him while in ruins, so yes, you have to defeat firesage, don't remember if you can skip centipede though. Be sure to do this just after killing the bugs and before entering Lost Izalith.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

You have to talk to him while in ruins, so yes, you have to defeat firesage, don't remember if you can skip centipede though. Be sure to do this just after killing the bugs and before entering Lost Izalith.

Not sure about skipping Centipede, all I know is you CAN fight and beat him but afterwards you must not continue to the next bonfire, otherwise you'll meet Solitaire there and at that point he's already lost.

Beggar

Cipher
No free character slot and I love them them all :negative:
20160724231732_1.jpg

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
It's my nth character, and I just died to Nito's sidekicks for the first time ;) One big skellie scored a lucky hit on my squishy char.

This time around Tomb of Giants is my favourite level. People summon pretty consistently, and I finally mastered the art of fighting those skeletal dogs.

Beggar

Cipher
Tried today DS1 pre-patched version for Xbox360 - WOW. 1000 souls from Bell Gorgoyles, 750 from Butterfly - it actually made those 200 and 400 souls bubbles worth something. No humanity gain from a dead boss, lizards only drop 1 twikling titanite and you have to pick it up, its not added automatically. And mobs actually run after you, they are not backing up. Had some problems with parrying, it wasnt that easy

Beggar

Cipher
Or they just decided to make it a lot easier. It was pretty interesting to play without humanity healing, since you can only find 1 in undead burg (corpse on the well gives you only 1, and I used it to gain human form). I spent around 2000 hours in this game, twinkling titanite overload and gaining +10 levels each time after a boss in the early game is a bit annoying. Seems like pre-patched version does not have those things. Also feeding items to Frampt won't give you shit. Sold my Cracked Red Orb Eyes for 400. Same with those bronze, silver and gold coins :M

It changed my view on Boss Souls. In pre-patched version after Undead Burg, Darkroot Garden and Depths you're still a bum, soul wise. In patched version it doesn't even matter you use them or not, since you get shitload of souls after killing bosses. Also in Anor Londo saw those famous overpowered lightning stats. Simple Lightning Halberd had 240/240 attack. I'm not sure if that's a bad thing in PvE, since you can only get it at the end of Anor Londo. Considering Fire, Magic and Enchanted weapons are possible after tutorial area :M

Last edited:

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Is it possible to kill the sanctuary guardian without uber twitch skills? He has killed me many, many times by now, and I don't seem to be able to make even a dent.

I'm level 102, 44 int and most everything else around level 20, except faith (8 ?), vitality (27) and endurance (34). My favorite weapon is the Moonlight Greatsword, and I try to kill stuff at a distance, with sorceries. I have all of them, I think. And all pyromancies, with a +5 ascended glove.

Most bosses in the endgame were surprisingly easy, but this one is very bad-ass.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
Is it possible to kill the sanctuary guardian without uber twitch skills? He has killed me many, many times by now, and I don't seem to be able to make even a dent.

I'm level 102 by now, 44 int and most everything else around level 20 or so, except faith (8 ?), vitality (27) and endurance (34). My favorite weapon is the Moonlight Greatsword, and I try to kill stuff at a distance, with sorceries. I have all of them, I think. And all pyromancies, with a +5 ascended glove.

Most bosses in the endgame were surprisingly easy, but this one is very bad-ass.

The only way to play DS:

qhdfIfT.jpg

UErZFTC.jpg

I made Manus my bitch.

janior

Arcane
Patron

I'm level 102, 44 int and most everything else around level 20, except faith (8 ?), vitality (27) and endurance (34). My favorite weapon is the Moonlight Greatsword, and I try to kill stuff at a distance, with sorceries. I have all of them, I think. And all pyromancies, with a +5 ascended glove.

do you even fastroll bro?

cruel

Cipher
Sanctuary Guardian is a very underrated boss. I beat him easily with my first two chars (dex Pyro and Str build), and was very surprised by the trouble I got when fighting him with INT build. He's so aggressive, dodges soul spears, and if your character doesn't have decent vitality plus poise, there can be some problems. Eventually it was a matter of luck and using his low health, if first two Crystal Soul Spears hit him, you should be fine. Also it helps to have wolf ring equipped for this fight

Jigawatt

Arcane
On my most recent encounter I just gave him the old +15 Zwei. Mid-rolled out of the way of projectiles and poised through physical attacks, down in no time. Have you tried using a weapon on the normal upgrade path + crystal magic weapon? That plus a shield with good lightning resist should probably be enough.

sullynathan

Arcane

Soul spear, crystal soul spear, homing soul mass, crystal homing soul mass. Velka's rapier, good dodging and moonlight Greatsword should be fine

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
either fast roll or have decent poise I guess.

glhf with artorias as a sorcerer

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom