Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Fantasy Flight Games/Games Workshop partnership ends in 2017

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
There was a potato version of Chaos in the Old World?I am impressed,didn't know Poland

Polish boardgame market is actually pretty good. I think every popular board game gets released here sooner or later, except for the super-expensive kickstarter-based games like Arcadia Quest or Cthulhu Wars. Portal - a Polish company also released a few games that were very liked by the western audience: Neuroshima Hex, Robinson and now Cry Havok. It's a total opposite of Polish RPG market which was slowly dying since the late 00's and is now almost dead.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Getting Forbidden Stars is a gamble. The game is pretty complex and long, so it might not click with everyone.
It is not as bad as its predecessor StarCraft: The Board Game, but it also got a bit "dumbed down" in the process. It is as long as SC was, but much easier to get into.
Mine has not seen a lot of plays (while Starcraft was played a lot).

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
Man, I can't get a copy of the Polish version of Chaos in the Old World: Horned Rat expansion. Everywhere it's sold out, but I think it might have been long before.

I've bought my copy two years ago and it was the last one in my FLGS. I'm hunting for two Warhammer Quest expansions (Trollslayer and Witchhunter) and they are not available anywhere. Life is suffering.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
So, this was probably a bad moment to sell my copy of Chaos in the Old World. :negative:

Unfortunately, while I liked the game a lot myself, my board gaming group never wanted to play it again after the first couple of times, even though some of them are long time Warhammer tabletop RPG players.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just curious,how much did you sell it for?
About the same price as a new copy - you can still get those here, but they are slowly disappearing.

It was probably better than new, with all components in perfect conditions plus sleeved cards, etc.

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
So, this was probably a bad moment to sell my copy of Chaos in the Old World. :negative:

Unfortunately, while I liked the game a lot myself, my board gaming group never wanted to play it again after the first couple of times, even though some of them are long time Warhammer tabletop RPG players.

What were you thinking man?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

More like what was his shitty group thinking for not wanting to play the game!

Xathrodox86

Arbiter

Ahhh, but I have similar problem in my group. Some of them believe that Khorne and Horned Rat are OP, despite the fact that other Gods alson won during our games.:roll:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

Ahhh, but I have similar problem in my group. Some of them believe that Khorne and Horned Rat are OP, despite the fact that other Gods alson won during our games.:roll:
Khorne OP?
Yes, he is in a group of newbies that don't pay attention to his victory conditions, but Nurgle and Slaanesh have a much easier time winning the vanilla game with opponents that know how to play.
Khorne, as everyone else is OP compared to Tzeench (haven't played the expansion enough to know how it works there).

Xathrodox86

Arbiter
I know, in fact Slaanesh spamming the Border Princes and Badlands is a sure way to win. The easiest way to defeat Khorne, is simply to runaway from him and not fight his forces.

Horned Rat is spammy as hell, but can be countered too as well.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Man is GW in decline. I don't trust them with their own brand.

Haven't played / read any of the FFG material though. I might actually play Chaos in the Old World next week, got a buddy that has it. We'll see how it goes, but the concept sounds great.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
I don't trust them either at this point. However, only thing I can say is that some of the shit that FFG put out was not that great as well. Though I really enjoy rogue trader.

Andhaira

Arcane
So let me ask. Has GW given any indication that they're going to continue with something from the Dark Heresy style pnp rpg?

Cubicle 7 is getting/has already gotten the WFRP rpg license. Dunno about WH40K; though all the WH40K books, and there are a lot of them are already out, great quality and a solid game. You could play for decades using them even if nothing else is published.

Material from DH 1e can also be used with 2e without many problems.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
The GW policy when it comes to RPG is retarded. They could print money by making a miniature focused RPG in the 40K and the old world (ok, they could if they had not killed the Old World...) like DD4, but with GW miniatures instead of DnD ones.
Of course, that would not make them sell as many minis as a 40K players, but they never seemed to understand that:
1) They can still make money out of people that will never play 40K
2) Gateway games are important if they want to get people to play 40K. I don't think I would have spent 98% of my teenage pocket money on epic 40k miniatures if I had not been hooked with Heroquest then Space Crusade first.

Making an Inquisitor RPG lite using non 40K miniatures was as retarded as it goes (I guess they were afraid that existing 40K players could play without buing anything new...).

At least, the new version of Warhammer Quest was a step in the good direction, but without character development, it is hard to keep a group interested in dungeoneering.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
At least, the new version of Warhammer Quest was a step in the good direction, but without character development, it is hard to keep a group interested in dungeoneering.

I still didn't buy it because of Sigmarines, but they just released a sequel (Warhammer Quest Shadows Over Hammerhal), so it was probably a success. Also they brought back the "campaign" features from the old WHQ:

GW said:
After each adventure, the heroes can spend time in the Cinderfall district of the city, visiting shops, resting and taking part in the various shadowy delights Hammerhal has to offer! Your characters level up and increase their skills as you play, and Warhammer Quest Shadows Over Hammerhal is completely compatible with the Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower Hero Cards – any miniatures or rules you already own for that game can be used here.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer

I still didn't buy it because of Sigmarines, but they just released a sequel (Warhammer Quest Shadows Over Hammerhal), so it was probably a success. Also they brought back the "campaign" features from the old WHQ:

GW said:
After each adventure, the heroes can spend time in the Cinderfall district of the city, visiting shops, resting and taking part in the various shadowy delights Hammerhal has to offer! Your characters level up and increase their skills as you play, and Warhammer Quest Shadows Over Hammerhal is completely compatible with the Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower Hero Cards – any miniatures or rules you already own for that game can be used here.
That sounds awesome actually! it doesn't look as coop focused as the WQ of old, but I don't mind playing the bad guy. I just wish there were something to upgrade for the bad guy like in Descent Road to Legend too.

I think Chaos in the Old World is my most played boardgame ever - I honestly must have played it over 50 times, there was a period when my group was crazy about it. I wasn't a fan of the expansion, but I think the base game is as close to perfection as I've ever seen in a boardgame.

I bought Forbidden Stars when it came out, but it's actually worse than the game it reskinned (Starcraft, which btw is also worth a pretty penny now since Blizzard pulled out of the FFG partnership). Played it twice and probably won't ever play it again.

FFG makes some cool games (Cory Konieczca is honestly one of the better designers out there), but their 'gameworld' that they keep trying to shoehorn into everything is terrible (Terrinoth). Runewars, for instance, is a brilliant game (after the expansion or the 2nd edition of course), but it really suffers for having a shit setting.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
I wonder how much my copy of Chaos in the Old World will be worth.

Was curious about Fury of Dracula as well. Anyone here played it?

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron

A very good game, I personally do not own it but my group brings it to our table often. Not so newb friendly, it's not hard to get into but you'll have exponentially more fun if you play with experienced players that know what they're doing.

The face of a newb that finally catches Dracula and goes "oh, crap, what now?" is priceless though...

Black_Willow

Arcane
FFG makes some cool games (Cory Konieczca is honestly one of the better designers out there), but their 'gameworld' that they keep trying to shoehorn into everything is terrible (Terrinoth). Runewars, for instance, is a brilliant game (after the expansion or the 2nd edition of course), but it really suffers for having a shit setting.

Terrinoth is generic, but it's still much better than age of sigmarines.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron

A very good game, I personally do not own it but my group brings it to our table often. Not so newb friendly, it's not hard to get into but you'll have exponentially more fun if you play with experienced players that know what they're doing.

The face of a newb that finally catches Dracula and goes "oh, crap, what now?" is priceless though...

Yeah,many people forget this game isn't just about finding Dracula but about defeating him as well,which is easier said than done

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom