Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Lords of Magic is the best worst strategy game I have ever played.

Filthy Sauce

Arbiter
I played Lords of Magic (SE) when I was in Jr high- 7th grade, I think. It was already old when it came out - I spent 10$ and got it from one of those budget software displays. One of those jewel case only things, no box or anything. Knew not much about it, although I had remembered seeing cool looking screenshots in PCgamer mag. I also remembered that they reviewed the game twice because the original reviewer was using a 'damaged disk.' Think that was the first time I seen an establishment re-review a game, including a sob story sidebox write up from the editor.

I played the game off and on for a while. I was too retarded to realize that a PDF manual was included. I really sucked at strategy games, too. Always got steamrolled everytime and stopped playing. Despite not being played that much, or even enjoying it, the game stuck with me. It was mostly about the audio and visuals- who can forget that main menu narrator?! WELCOME TO LORDS OF MAGIC. I would get so hyped when i booted the game up.I would also make him rap at the class selection screen. If you played this game when you were younger you know what I'm talking about.

I bought the game on gog whenever it first released there, but only dabbed at it for nostalgia sake. Recently, with cut hours at work, and a semi-dead graphics card, I've been going back to old games. Finally taking a serious approach to the game, I ended up going on a LoM marathon, beating the game twice in one sitting.

Holy shit does this game suck. Outside of audio and (some) visuals, nothing really works well.

I beat this game with the fire order, then the water. Tried playing earth but they where too slow. Currently going with chaos but the game is starting to overstay its welcome. Had to install an unofficial patch because of a somewhat hilarious/ notorious bug where the lands of chaos get raided by level 8 Pegasus by the end of the first week. I was wondering why the chaos realm died so quick in my previous games. Only in the special edition, folks.

Anyway some random thoughts with this game:

-Combat is a tedious clusterfuck. They really tried to put some tactics in here with flanking bonus and positioning, but the 2d units move too janky and all pile on top / overlap each other. Some features work very well though, like the defense/parry beserk/aim shot modes which changes a units Attack and Defense values. Its mandatory you know how these modes work and what they do- this is why I had such a hard time with the game back in the day.

-Too easy. A realm is defeated if its lord is killed. To win the game all you have to do is kill the Death realm lord. When I played fire, it took less than 2 hours. Water was about 3.5. Mainly due to starting locations, and the fact i didnt realize boats where in the game. Speaking of which, once you know the world map (there's only one. No random maps). It gets even easier to track down the death lord. One map also kills replay value.

-Thief class and their skills are sort of pointless. I mean, they are useful, but using them is tedious and reliant on dice rolls. Making your lord as one is pointless unless you want to save scum.

Despite realizing that this game is overall luckluster, I do like it for some reason. Its satisfying to compose and level up your elite squad (I found you only really need a max of 2 squads. A single army with level 4-5 units is more than enough to steamroll. As I said earlier, the game is pretty easy). Its also fun to jump into the high level dungeons and pray to survive (dungeons are actually the hard part of the game) and find an artifact your champions can actually fucking use.

Not sure why I made this thread as its just composed of random thoughts. Anyone else play Lords of Magic? I find that a lot of people sort of glance over it. Maybe because its just a charming cute turd in a sea of better stragety games.

Ludovic

Valravn Games
Developer
I had completely forgotten about this! You are right about it being very easy, I think, as I don't remember playing it much, unlike many other strategy games of the same era, that I vividly remember spending massive amount of time on. I may also have been too busy getting drunk and being a rowdy juve. Not entirely sure. I remember finding the intro cutscene impressive and laughable at the same time. Those skeletons were kind of weird.

It had tough competition: Heroes of Might and Magic 2 & 3, Master of Magic, Age of Wonders (a bit later). It didn't really hit the stride like those games.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I bought it full price, hoping for a worthy successor to MoM, but iirc it was quite buggy. I still enjoyed it for a while, though it never grabbed my like MoM.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Is that the game with some sort of raptor riding faggot on the cover and horribly clusterfucky rts combat? If yes, then it was horrible with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. It was almost impressive in how could you fuck up so potent game formula so bad.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I hoped I would get a fantasy Lords of the Realms 2, I was disappointed it was nothing like that at all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom