Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mass Effect: Andromeda Pre-Release Thread

Vorark

Erudite
PC shots

Normal looking sky... Say what you want about the first ME, but it had pretty looking skyboxes. Which ME2/3 promptly got rid off.

gWRhlgT.jpg

pippin

Well, to be honest, the pc port for ME1 had a bug where the graphic quality was stuck in Medium. The third party in charge of its development never fixed it.

J1M

Arcane
Well, to be honest, the pc port for ME1 had a bug where the graphic quality was stuck in Medium. The third party in charge of its development never fixed it.
But it was unreal engine, so it was easy to fiddle with the .ini files.

Rev

Arcane
despite being a good game, i hate each and every non-sandbox aspect of gta san andreas because it's an endless showcase of retarded "yo bro nigga nigga nigga bro da hood".
i need strong characters, interesting characters, not ugly, incloooooosive characters for the sake of having ugly, incloooooosive characters.
I don't like the whole "nigga gangsta" thing nor the rap scene, whether it's featured in movies, tv or videogames, but to be fair Rockstar's intent was to mock the whole "yo nigga, da hood" schtick, not to include it for the sake of inclusiveness or whatever. Whatever you can say about R*, they sure as hell aren't overly politically correct.

Besides, I agree that the focus should just be on good characters, but we all know BioWare wants to make a political statement with their companions and NPCs nowadays. It's been that way for some years now.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Japan still do much better job in character creation.

And animation too. Just look at Kuze after the punch

Last edited:

Reinhardt

Arcane
That's the point - it's still better than new AAA Mass Effect. And if we talk about animations - far-far-far better.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Japan - how to do decent things with limited resources. Bioware - how to do shit with decent tech made by others.
All good parts in new Bioware games - thanks to frostbite. All shitty parts - their own.

They cannot into game creation anymore even to save their company life.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
What remains most surprising is somehow the facial animations look like they've become worse than in the previous games. In fact, the source engine games (I'll name Bloodlines and HL2) have better facial animations by far. and were released over a decade ago. Andromeda isn't impressing so far and the trailers they keep releasing make it look worse every time.

Kirkpatrick

Cipher
How did they get there anyway? It's 2.5 million light years away, and if they can cross such stupendous distances in such a short time, what's the point of relays?

Urthor

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
The textures look like last gen 720p wtf. Then again it does say press A for Xbox, so it probably is last gen 720p. Also this massively suffers from the fact that AAA popamole gameplay has moved on so much from the last gen, this is generic Gears of Wars in space stuff when Ubisoft's relentless annual open world releases have moved the bar for popamole gameplay way, way ahead of where Bioware is stuck at.

Mass Effect 2 you could at least say it was good for what it is, in a time when Gears of War was all the rage amongst the console shootery people and was actually pretty fun. Watching this though actually makes Fallout 4 look good, and is kinda sad when Titanfall 2, Dishonored 2 and BF1 are the gold standard for what you get from an EA/Activision game, much less Metal Gear Solid 5 or Dark Souls.

RangerBoo

Arcane
The Homeless Paradise of Washington State
Anybody else want to guess what the User Metacritic score is going to be? I say that its going to get around the same user score as Fallout 4. It will of course be obnoxiously praised by """"""professional gaming journalist"""""" for being "stunning and brave" but the user score will tell a different story. The Biodrones will of course, like the Bethtards before them with Fallout 4, work around the clock to make sure the game doesn't dip into the red in order to have a small victory for themselves and Bioware. I am really looking forward to the shit show that this game is going to bring.
:bounce:

Tytus

Arcane
Relays are instant, 400 years or so of travel - not.

Thanks. That's still quite fast, guess could cross the whole Milky Way in some 15 years or so.

Well from what I remember. It took ark Hyperion 634 years to reach Andromeda. Also their regular ships go up to 13 lightyears a day. It was stated in the lore for the new ship and also it fits what Ashley told us during the first game said - that a planet 10 lightyears can be reached in a day. (When she was talking about her sister).

They basically can go faster than Star Trek ships, but need to discharge radiation build up because otherwise the crew inside the ship would be cooked. So they can't travel at those speeds for very long. This is why they need the Relays.

And this also creates an issue. How were they able to travel to Andromeda without discharging the radiation build up? Did the writers forgot about that or something?

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Rockstar's intent was to mock the whole "yo nigga, da hood" schtick, not to include it for the sake of inclusiveness or whatever. Whatever you can say about R*, they sure as hell aren't overly politically correct.
It's not mockery, but a pastiche of movies like Boys n the Hood and the west coast hip hop scene. Just like Vice City was a pastiche of Scarface and GTA V a pastiche of Heat. The Houser brothers are huge hip hop buffs.

You're right that Rockstar are far from politically correct though. Having people living in a segregated hellhole speak without using street slang would have been the politically correct thing to do. Rockstar doesn't strive for political correctness or inclusiveness. They look for an interesting setting, pull some contemporary music scenes, take the plot of a blockbuster movie and cram it together to make a game.

veevoir

Klytus, I'm bored
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech
And this also creates an issue. How were they able to travel to Andromeda without discharging the radiation build up? Did the writers forgot about that or something?

Possibly they simply had maintenance stops to blow off radiation. Or once ariving to andromeda - cooked a whole solar system with waves of radiation from the buildup ;)

Deleted member 7219

You know what the best thing is about the ugly default characters? You're stuck with them; not a single thing I've heard is about a custom character creator like in the old games.

This is BioWare trolling the world. They're going to make everyone look fucking awful and then count how many gaming sites will ignore the character designs and animations completely.

I haven't heard of this bug.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Relays are instant, 400 years or so of travel - not.

Thanks. That's still quite fast, guess could cross the whole Milky Way in some 15 years or so.

Well from what I remember. It took ark Hyperion 634 years to reach Andromeda. Also their regular ships go up to 13 lightyears a day. It was stated in the lore for the new ship and also it fits what Ashley told us during the first game said - that a planet 10 lightyears can be reached in a day. (When she was talking about her sister).

They basically can go faster than Star Trek ships, but need to discharge radiation build up because otherwise the crew inside the ship would be cooked. So they can't travel at those speeds for very long. This is why they need the Relays.

With space magic of course. The same with anything else that sounds vaguely technologic in Mass Effect. It's all space magic.

It's been clear since ME2 that the series's writers don't give a flying fuck about consistency and just make up whatever shit they need at the moment to move the plot forward.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom