Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Quake Champions - multiplayer hero shooter from id Software

Baron Dupek

Arcane
One thing that I must admit is lack of vision disturbance that haunted Unreal Tournament 3 (blur, bloom, HDR and else).
I'm shocked they did not fucked up this.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Nu-Unreal Tournament will take another few years to be on beta anyways so this should be interesting to try out for now.

I think it looks pretty damn good graphics / visuals wise. Don't know how someone can think it looks washed out.

Champions or abilities itself are hardly a problem if there's a serious possibility to modify servers for competitive and skill based gameplay (Very unlikely that they are balanced). Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory is a good example on this. You could have most of the playerbase playing with the unbalanced 'fun' settings and just have a classical pro-mod for anyone who doesn't care for that kind of things.
why would you give bethesda your shekels and get Champions while ignoring all the new shit in favor of playing its classic mode, instead of just playing Quake 3 in its original glory for free

So, dat Nyx is just Mynx reskin and Galena is reskin of Slash - there is also a classic Q3A skin available.

Bad news but pretty predictable, it's f2p:

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/10/14877004/quake-champions-free-to-play-full-price-favor-currency

Quake Champions will be free, unless you want to buy it

“At its core, it’s a free-to-play game,” which will also offer all its Champions for a price
Quake Champions, the latest iteration of the decades-old, fast-paced arena shooter franchise, finally has a business model. Creative director Tim Willits tells Polygon the game will be a free-to-play, but with a for-pay option.

In an interview last week, Willits said that players who want to can play a single character, a Champion named Ranger, for free. Or they can buy the Champion Pack and get unlimited access to Ranger and all his other friends for a fixed price.

The reason for this approach is simple, he said. The gaming world has changed since the launch of the original Quake in 1996. It’s gotten bigger. There are more players from more parts of the world than ever before. Some markets simply have different expectations of how — or if — they pay for their games. By making Quake Champions both free and for-pay, his team can get it in front of as many players as possible.

“At its core, it’s a free-to-play game,” Willits said, “with the option to buy the Champion Pack and just get in and play with all the Champions. There are a number of Quake players that just want to play their Quake, right? And they are familiar with the business model of our previous games, and they are totally fine. ‘I want to buy the game. I want to start playing. I want to have access to all the Champions.’

“But then we also understand that we want to get as many people into the game as possible, especially outside of North America and Western Europe, where we have a massive fan base. So we want to have the flexibility to have a free-to-play option for those people.”

Both for-pay and free-to-play players will share the same maps, and compete in the same brackets, Willits said. The only difference will be how they access Champions other than Ranger.

“I don’t want to use the word rent,” Willits said. “You do spend favor to have access to them for a limited amount of time, yes. But you don't spend any real money on it.”

Just how long you get to play other Champions, like the recently announced Nyx, is up in the air. It’s one of the many questions Willits and the team at id Software hope to answer during the closed beta, which is now open for sign-ups.

The goal is to minimize that sense of grind that comes in other free-to-play titles. Favor will be easy to earn, and trading it in for other Champions will be a frequent and fun way to spend it. But, there’s other ways to burn off excess currency as well. Players can spend favor on backpacks, which will enable them to take on rune challenges. Succeeding at a rune challenge will grant players reliquaries, which they can open to reveal new Champions and new skins.

Ultimately, the free-to-play community will be competing on an even playing field with paying players. Each Champion’s skills will be different and complementary in a rock-paper-scissors kind of way, but they’ll be available to everyone. That will help make sure that Quake Champions retains the kind of skill-based gameplay that made the franchise one of the original esports.

“We do feel it's more approachable,” Willits said, “and we feel that with our team game modes, and then especially our dual mode, that we can fill a hole that's missing in esports today.

“We do have a really nice advantage, because lots and lots of the pro players got their start playing Quake. And yeah, they're playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive now and, Overwatch, but their first love is Quake. So we want to get that critical mass where you have enough players and then we want to ... expand our competitive play, our league play as we move into late this year and next year.”

abija

Prophet
Out of curiosity tried again q3a with default settings and visibility was quite atrocious, can only hope for a very high amount of settings I guess...

LE: for all the rose tinted fucks: https://youtu.be/VVShguYXTYc. Poor lightning, models same palette as the environment, models with weird animations, bright effects, big weapon model, view roll, view bob, quite strong screen shake when hit (visual only), blinding muzzle , exaggerated gib effects.

Last edited:

Durandal

Arcane
I did notice difference in terms of max health/max armor for each character :decline:
I seriously hope they don't give everyone a different movement speed either

abija

Prophet
Did I saw running animations on this 30sec 4 screens gameplay? :laugh:
Yeah, but it might be some sprint ability?

I did notice difference in terms of max health/max armor for each character :decline:
I seriously hope they don't give everyone a different movement speed either

What, a faster than you invisible telefragger doesn't sound good?
Question is if the hitboxes are same size. If they aren't, they are forced to compensate with other stats.

abija

Prophet
Seems to be overwatch system + hero "renting", so (b2p or f2p) + cash shop for cosmetics. If the b2p version guarantees you'll always be 100% effective in game and don't ruin the game with shit skins they can jew it up as much as possible for all I care.

Not the deciding factor if the game will be good or bad anyway.

Last edited:

RoSoDude

Arcane
Out of curiosity tried again q3a with default settings and visibility was quite atrocious, can only hope for a very high amount of settings I guess...

LE: for all the rose tinted fucks: https://youtu.be/VVShguYXTYc. Poor lightning, models same palette as the environment, models with weird animations, bright effects, big weapon model, view roll, view bob, quite strong screen shake when hit (visual only), blinding muzzle , exaggerated gib effects.

Absolutely true about Quake 3 Arena, but Quake Live with flat textures, simple items, and bright green Sarge as the enemy player model is perfect. The amount of detail in Quake Champions is already too much for me. I just want abstract representations of the level geometry, pickups, and weapons so there's nothing between me and the gameplay. But again, for people like me, there's no reason to play this over Quake Live/Reflex other than player count.

Quake 4 style crouch sliding confirmed. Probably just for specific characters

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRgR2ruBUEe/

It's probably some character's passive, like how Nyx's is wall jump. Kinda weird how they're making movement abilities unique to certain characters, but at the same time, there are so many variations of Quake movement that it probably makes sense if they're marketing this game to a wider audience. So is the W-strafe we've seen in trailers the default or just a character passive? :roll:

Venser

Erudite
Looks like there are different weapon skins. You can see classic QW rocket launcher and Q4 shaft.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
Some known stats so far

110241-ZJwc4yXe-EQ.jpg

Durandal

Arcane
why is air control a passive WHYYYYYYY

THEY PULLED THE SAME SHIT IN NUDOOM, WHY THE FUCK SHOULD I BE JUMPING AROUND LIKE SIMON BELMONT UNTIL I PICK THE RIGHT CHARACTER

abija

Prophet
Is it me or hitscan dominates the weapon list?
Also, was fov forced that high to make it look faster or everyone who was recorded likes to feel like a ninja instead of hitting shots?

Jazz_

Arcane
Absolutely true about Quake 3 Arena, but Quake Live with flat textures, simple items, and bright green Sarge as the enemy player model is perfect. The amount of detail in Quake Champions is already too much for me. I just want abstract representations of the level geometry, pickups, and weapons so there's nothing between me and the gameplay. But again, for people like me, there's no reason to play this over Quake Live/Reflex other than player count.

It's probably some character's passive, like how Nyx's is wall jump. Kinda weird how they're making movement abilities unique to certain characters, but at the same time, there are so many variations of Quake movement that it probably makes sense if they're marketing this game to a wider audience. So is the W-strafe we've seen in trailers the default or just a character passive? :roll:

how do you do that thing in Quake Live? I mean making it look abstract and bare boned?

RoSoDude

Arcane
how do you do that thing in Quake Live? I mean making it look abstract and bare boned?

Set "Texture Detail" to low. I also recommend Simple Items. There are other things you can tweak to take even more detail out of the game, but I find low texture detail (and none of the lighting effects shit) gives the best experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom