Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Fallout 3 alienated the old audience, but gained a massive new one. Quality vs quantity rears its ugly head again. Torment doesn't have this prospect.

pippin

marketing it as a spiritual successor to torment was a mistke from day 1 since a big deal of the stuff that made torment unique in the first place was tied to the dnd license

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
marketing it as a spiritual successor to torment was a mistke from day 1 since a big deal of the stuff that made torment unique in the first place were tied to the dnd license

It was a mistake but at the same time was a wise move for them.

Remember that they had almost nothing just before wasteland 2.

The successful campaign of W2, gave them wings to try the biggest one and they went for it, Torment and W2 funded the new inxile. Before that, Inxile was a near bankrupcy company making even shittier games and mobile ones. They just simply went with the best IP they could have to get the most funds for free to continue making games.

For us and maybe for them now, could be a problem, but in retrospective and looking it as business and nothing else, they nailed it.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
marketing it as a spiritual successor to torment was a mistke from day 1 since a big deal of the stuff that made torment unique in the first place was tied to the dnd license

A common misconception. A good imagination can create anything from anything.

art-illusion-29.jpg

Self-Ejected

vivec

Self-Ejected

I disagree. It was more associated with the way Planescape was handled. The way death was handled. They way character progression was handled. More than simply a mechanic it was also a commentary on these things. That too inside a well-written game. None of this has inherently to do anything with D&D.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Jedi Master Radek Infinitron http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ive-5-2016-09-26.111160/page-207#post-4980029 Sometimes it pays to be a name-searcher.

You can't judge anything without context or without being in relation to something. Numenera fails as both an RPG in relation to other RPGs and in relation to PS:T. Everything would be either 10/10 or 0/10 if judged on its own, which is an impossibility.

I disagree. You can identify what goals it was trying to achieve, and how well it achieved those goals (not very well for the most part from what I understand).

Reasons to be pessimistic for Deadfire are only one:

Add another: the team ballooned to New Vegas-size and with that comes a dumbening.

pippin

But it took DND as a basis and gave PST its background and lore. This game seems so different because people have been exploiting FR almost exclusively. Considering how Dark Sun feels as well... and it's not that far away from something like BG, but at the same time it's almost completely different.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
What is the status of the Dark Sun IP? It would be neat to see another one of those games, though the sequel to Shattered Lands was so bad that maybe I'm overly optimistic.

Fairfax

Arcane
What is the status of the Dark Sun IP? It would be neat to see another one of those games, though the sequel to Shattered Lands was so bad that maybe I'm overly optimistic.
Last releases were a couple of books for 4E.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

Ravenloft, Dark Sun and Al-Qadin could be really amazing games.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
Add another: the team ballooned to New Vegas-size and with that comes a dumbening.

Well, the way I see it, having a massive team can indeed be a problem if there is no good direction or leadership to keep the project organized. T:ToN with its large team of writers is a perfect example of how too many cooks in the kitchen can be a bad thing. It seems like each writer operated in their own fiefdom within the game and wasn't accountable to anyone else, so everything feels disconnected and disjointed, and some writers were clearly far better than others, so there is a very inconsistent quality where you can find brilliance in one character, but then 10 ft away run into garbage. There was no clear leader or vision on that game, and didn't people come and go over the course of development? A lot of people around here like to blame Fargo and say he's a crook and pocketed the money or whatever, but there's a saying called Hanlon's Razor which says "never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity". With the disordered and ad hoc development history T:ToN had, it's no surprise the final product is the way it is. There's no reason to resort to conspiracy theories about Fargo being a crook. Inept? Sure.

Deadfire is nothing like that, though. It is very clear here who is leading the project (Josh Sawyer), and he has proven himself to be more than capable as a project director in the past (POE1, New Vegas, etc.) So despite the huge team I'm sure it will be okay. You mentioned New Vegas yourself - that turned out good, didn't it? Dealing with a New Vegas-sized team is something he's done before and it worked out in the end.

The only thing to be concerned about is a lot of this team is probably greenhorns with little or no experience. It has to be this way because so much of Obsidian's talent has been bled out over the years. You can't rely on old talent forever. These raw recruits were hired to fill in the void left by Chris Avellone, George Ziets, John Gonzalez, etc. But everyone has to start off somewhere... we may not know the names of these people because they haven't made one for themselves yet, but in the late 90s who knew the name of Chris Avellone or Josh Sawyer? Back then they were the greenhorns. So please have a little faith, because a decade from now you'll hear the names of some great game developers, and you will look back and remember that it was in the development of Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire that their careers first began. Right at this very moment, CRPG history is being made.

hexer

Deadfire is nothing like that, though. It is very clear here who is leading the project (Josh Sawyer), and he has proven himself to be more than capable as a project director in the past (POE1, New Vegas, etc.)

Sawyer as a lead is not a good selling point for me.
His games are always somewhat dull to play.. it's like he was born to do advanced Excel work but instead ended up doing something completely opposite in his life.

Either that or he has a really weird sense of fun.. like 2 variables being close in their values, eg. balanced.

Quillon

Arcane

It's 40 peeps. NV's was 60. PoE1's team were 20-30 and wasn't enough; game got delayed, was too buggy for some peeps, act2 had to be butchered & whatever else we don't know about. 40 seems like a good fit from an arbitrary PoV.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You fucking people and your sycophant hivemind. "We support" "We this" "We that"

Battle Brothers is not an rpg. It is a strategy game with rpg elements. The fact this site does not even know the difference between a strategy game and an rpg even though it has Tacticular Cancer proves my point.

You guys should start focusing on your individual selves. Reflect on what YOU like and don't like. Ask yourselves if you actually like rpgs, and if not why do you post on a site with rpg in the name? Because you like belonging to a hive mind of fucking degenerate retards because you feel it gives you some sort of identity?

If you had a cousin who joined a golf club even though he didn't like golf but wanted to belong to a group of fucking idiots wouldn't you think he was weird?

You kids need to grow up and live your life some before becoming internet idiots. Once you're married with kids and your life is a huge pile of shit is when you absolutely need the escapism of the internet. There is no rush. If you don't live a real life you end up being a retarded manchild who still plays with toys and pokemon and masturbating to Sesame Street like you guy's leader Filipeepee or whatever its name is.

Also, Grimoire is a real rpg so only like three people on this site would actually like it.

Started with so much promise....then shat all over itself....kinda like NuTorment over the course of the last 4 years.

Last edited:

Prime Junta

It would be inherently unproductive for inXile to try to adjust the game so that the critics on the Codex liked it, since, as you note, these critics want a complete overhaul of the text. It would not be inherently unproductive to listen to Codexian criticisms of specific mechanical aspects of the game or individual significant inflection points of the plot. If those criticisms were apt (which I really can't judge for myself), there might be some productive way to address them.

Or you could write this hooptie off as a total loss, listen to criticisms (Codexian and otherwise), and resolve to do better next time.

I'm sure there is a next time, if not for inXile as a company, then certainly for most people on the T:ToN team. They have the chops to land new jobs in the industry. Picking yourself up, dusting yourself off, learning your lessons, and not fucking up the same way again is what you do.

(It does look like they just moved from the "Denial" to the "Bargaining" phase. It'll be a bit longer until it really starts to sink in.)

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Finished the game as a Silver Tongued Nano. Maybe a B-/C+ game - I have no idea why this would have taken 5 years to make. Talk about a fucked up production.

Positives:
Didn't mind the plot.
The Bloom was awright.
Didn't even mind info dumps.
Some of the mere's were OK.

Negatives:
Combat is terrible and slow. Oh so slow.
No backtracking/revisiting previous areas. Cliffs -> Valley -> Mist -> Bloom is the path you take.
Hardly any party interaction. As others have said this might be a bug or maybe inXile just sucks.
Pretty uninspired artwork in Cliffs.
Everyone in a human or human shaped. Shit gets repetitive.
Had something like 800 xp over the level cap (or about 20% extra xp). Why can no RPG developer balance XP anymore?

Anyway not great but I did finish it without it seeming like too much of a chore. Certainly not worth the money I put into the KS (2012 was a simpler time) but maybe worth $15 - $20 during the summer sale.

fake edit: By far the best mere was Inifere's so shoutout to MRY for that.

Self-Ejected

an Administrator

Self-Ejected
Where expecting basics is considered perfectionism
Found some Iranian review of TTON
I might post the translation soon :shittydog:
http://www.bazicenter.com/torment-tides-of-numenera/reviews/721

"
score: 9/10

pros:
incredible story
A lot of C&C
Different quests with multiple ways to solve them
Good characters
Beautiful world-building
Innovative character development

cons:
Lack of voice acting
Simplified combat
People who don't like reading lengthy paragraphs may find it boring
"

Last edited:
I am having a better time on my 2nd play, since I'm taking the time to read everything and seeing different outcomes. Also no homo in my party.
I also heard you can actually sacrifice Tybir ? That seems like a great option! :))

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Curious if you could sell some of your companions. Erittis would qualify I guess? Dunno about Tybir. I didn't try, though. I would be pretty dumb actually, it's not like you own them which was more ore less the case in PST.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom