Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Eternity Pillars of Eternity II: Deadfire Pre-Release Thread [BETA RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
We still don't really know anything about the factions. The thing that will make them interesting will be what their quests and goals are like, not what their "backstory", or whatever, is.

Give me a wide range of options and motivations for dealing with them, and I don't really care what they look like.

True, but PoE left much to be desired with the factions. I know Obsidian has promised more in Deadfire in terms of narrative, but I still think the factions lack a "cool" factor (not sure what else to call it). For example, in New Vegas, each faction had unique soldiers, flair, and benefits (BoS, Caesar's Legion, NCR Rangers). Moreover, you could find those factions spread through the Mojave with Caesar's Legion purging a town or with the NCR outposts. Another neat part was getting former Enclave members on your side, which I thought was a high point. Ultimately, I am worried we will be dropped in the middle of political struggle and our choices are Sharkmen, Not-Italians, and more Sharkmen.

The closest PoE got to that in my mind was the Yenwood battle, where multiple factions (large and small) would join in. Being able to enlist Readceran and Ogres soldiers was a nice touch.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ultimately, I am worried we will be dropped in the middle of political struggle and our choices are Sharkmen, Not-Italians, and more Sharkmen.

Don't forget the more Not-Italians (the Old Vailian pirates).

Interesting how that works out.

Sizzle

Arcane
In PoE1, factions weren't developed (or important) at all. But for PoE2, it's obvious they are making it a priority.

And they already have more than enough of a set-up to make the conflict interesting:

- The Vailian Republics are the old naval and trading superpower.

- Rautai is the young pretender to that spot. What they lack in tradition and experience, they make up for with advanced firepower.

- For the pirates, there are several likely options: they want to use the chaotic situation to corner the market on the luminous adra trading; sell their services to the highest bidder and decide the outcome of the conflict; carve out a piece of territory and set up their own country; etc.

- As for the natives, there will probably be sub-factions there as well. One will almost certainly be about preserving their way of life. Another will perhaps be about using the foreigners in some way to modernize the DA.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Ultimately, I am worried we will be dropped in the middle of political struggle and our choices are Sharkmen, Not-Italians, and more Sharkmen.

Don't forget the more Not-Italians (the Old Vailian pirates).

Interesting how that works out.
Those are Valians as well? Damn, this is why I wanted Aedyr or Readceras in some form.

In PoE1, factions weren't developed (or important) at all. But for PoE2, it's obvious they are making it a priority.

And they already have more than enough of a set-up to make the conflict interesting:

- The Vailian Republics are the old naval and trading superpower.

- Rautai is the young pretender to that spot. What they lack in tradition and experience, they make up for with advanced firepower.

- For the pirates, there are several likely options: they want to use the chaotic situation to corner the market on the luminous adra trading; sell their services to the highest bidder and decide the outcome of the conflict; carve out a piece of territory and set up their own country; etc.

- As for the natives, there will probably be sub-factions there as well. One will almost certainly be about preserving their way of life. Another will perhaps be about using the foreigners in some way to modernize the DA.
We know the goals of the factions, but I would like to see it fleshed out in the game world. For example, in New Vegas, factions provided specific armor sets, weapons, supplies,benefits, etc. If you sided with House, you got your special suite in the Vegas tower, etc.

With Deadfire, I would like to see unique armor sets, weapons, soldiers, benefits, etc. By the same note, if you piss off the other factions, you would need to watch your back in certain locations (this can be implemented via random encounters at sea).

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Those natives better be ready to be modernized.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Jokes aside, is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the factions? As far as I remember, we have Rautai, Valian Republics, Pirates, and the Natives. For me, none of these factions stand out as particularly interesting. In contrast, New Vegas had House, NCR, Legion, Brotherhood of Steel, etc. Moreover, all of those factions were represented by rangers, BoS paladins, securitrons, etc. What do the PoE2 factions have? Sharkpeople and not-Italians?
The NCR and House have good and bad sides and presents an interesting choice. But with the Caesar's Legion settlements showing their good side cut from New Vegas, I never felt there were any proof in game that they were more than barbarian raiders and thus siding with them felt more like a generic evil choice than finding an interesting angle to justify the horrors they're committing. (I still love them though.) In Deadfire, this will hopefully not be a problem as none of the factions seems to be a conquering horde of slave troopers (the Pirates are ancestors of exiled princes and seem to be more like criminals with honor). So I hope we'll get more grey options than New Vegas when choosing which main faction to ally with.

As for your concerns, we know nothing of the factions yet. We don't know how the policies of the Rauatai and Vailian companies differ, what they're fighting over or what approach they're using to get it. We don't know if the Pirates eat people, or if the Natives throw outsiders down the rocks of Neketaka to appease their multiheaded cockgod. They cannot be interesting until we've learnt who they are, seen what their goals are, made us care, and then asked us to make a choice which faction to help and which faction to fuck over.

I had a hard time choosing between NCR and House. If Obsidian succeeds, I'll have a hard time choosing which faction to back in Deadfire.

Sizzle

Arcane
With Deadfire, I would like to see unique armor sets, weapons, soldiers, benefits, etc.

A cool idea would be if factions gave you weapons and armor they traditionally use. So, for Vailians - rapiers and breastplates. Rautai - arquebuses. Pirates - sabers and pistols, etc :D

By the same note, if you piss off the other factions, you would need to watch your back in certain locations (this can be implemented via random encounters at sea).

That existed in F:NV, so odds are good it will make a comeback here as well.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Jokes aside, is anyone else a little underwhelmed by the factions? As far as I remember, we have Rautai, Valian Republics, Pirates, and the Natives. For me, none of these factions stand out as particularly interesting. In contrast, New Vegas had House, NCR, Legion, Brotherhood of Steel, etc. Moreover, all of those factions were represented by rangers, BoS paladins, securitrons, etc. What do the PoE2 factions have? Sharkpeople and not-Italians?
The NCR and House have good and bad sides and presents an interesting choice. But with the Caesar's Legion settlements showing their good side cut from New Vegas, I never felt there were any proof in game that they were more than barbarian raiders and thus siding with them felt more like a generic evil choice than finding an interesting angle to justify the horrors they're committing. (I still love them though.) In Deadfire, this will hopefully not be a problem as none of the factions seems to be a conquering horde of slave troopers (the Pirates are ancestors of exiled princes and seem to be more like criminals with honor). So I hope we'll get more grey options than New Vegas when choosing which main faction to ally with.

As for your concerns, we know nothing of the factions yet. We don't know how the policies of the Rauatai and Vailian companies differ, what they're fighting over or what approach they're using to get it. We don't know if the Pirates eat people, or if the Natives throw outsiders down the rocks of Neketaka to appease their multiheaded cockgod. They cannot be interesting until we've learnt who they are, seen what their goals are, made us care, and then asked us to make a choice which faction to help and which faction to fuck over.

I had a hard time choosing between NCR and House. If Obsidian succeeds, I'll have a hard time choosing which faction to back in Deadfire.
I am not so much concerned about the faction's goals/motives (Sizzle did a good job detailing it) as I am with how the factions interact with game world. In PoE1, the factions were practically confined to one building each in Defiance Bay. At best, some had special weapons you could buy. In contrast, the NCR had outposts at strategic locations (with vendors), had unique weapons & armor tailored to their style, and further provided unique benefits (ranger armor, weapons, and I think a ranger could even be called in to aid you). Another example is the Brotherhood of Steel, who could set you up with power armor and weapons.

Beyond just morality or flavor, I would like to see each faction having a real presence in Deadfire with outposts and providing actual benefits (Rautai has unique armor and guns, Valian Republic gives money and animancy, Pirates gives special ship upgrades, local Sharkmen stay useless and reward you with sticks, etc).

edit: Deadfire reminds me of New Vegas to the extent that multiple factions are vying for a control over city/resource (Vegas/Hoover dam, and crack Adra/main PoE2 city). The difference is that we have not seen the same narrative or gameplay significance of the Deadfire factions, and PoE left me with a bad impression.

fobia

I am not so much concerned about the faction's goals/motives (Sizzle did a good job detailing it) as I am with how the factions interact with game world. In PoE1, the factions were practically confined to one building each in Defiance Bay. At best, some had special weapons you could buy. In contrast, the NCR had outposts at strategic locations (with vendors), had unique weapons & armor tailored to their style, and further provided unique benefits (ranger armor, weapons, and I think a ranger could even be called in to aid you). Another example is the Brotherhood of Steel, who could set you up with power armor and weapons.

Beyond just morality or flavor, I would like to see each faction having a real presence in Deadfire with outposts and providing actual benefits (Rautai has unique armor and guns, Valian Republic gives money and animancy, Pirates gives special ship upgrades, local Sharkmen stay useless and reward you with sticks, etc).

edit: Deadfire reminds me of New Vegas to the extent that multiple factions are vying for a control over city/resource (Vegas/Hoover dam, and crack Adra/main PoE2 city). The difference is that we have not seen the same narrative or gameplay significance of the Deadfire factions, and PoE left me with a bad impression.

Dude, the things you mentioned, they cost time and therefore money.
And I'm not sure that Deadfire has that kind of budget.
I mean, I'd love to see those things too, but comparing F:NV and a possible PoE2 seems very far fetched.

Bonerbill

Augur
me of New Vegas to the extent that multiple factions are vying for a control over city/resource (Vegas/Hoover dam, and crack Adra/main PoE2 city). The difference is that we have not seen the same narrative or gameplay significance of the Deadfire factions, and PoE left me with a bad impression.

The factions were bad in PoE, but they were not the focus of PoE. That's the reason why they were bad. =\ Seems weird to compare a game about factions(New Vegas) to a game that's not about them (PoE).

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Dude, the things you mentioned, they cost time and therefore money.
And I'm not sure that Deadfire has that kind of budget.
I mean, I'd love to see those things too, but comparing F:NV and a possible PoE2 seems very far fetched.
I would think it would be even easier to implement in PoE2 honestly. Sure, they would need to create more models/art for unique armor sets and possibly outposts, but different rewards and perks seems easy enough.

The factions were bad in PoE, but they were not the focus of PoE. That's the reason why they were bad. =\ Seems weird to compare a game about factions(New Vegas) to a game that's not about them (PoE).
Perhaps, but PoE2 is meant to be more faction based if I understand the updates correctly. Therefore, I do think New Vegas is a good comparison.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I don't think we actually know what PoE2 is about. Sure, we have to "find Eothas" (which I'm still bitter about), but that's it. We don't know what that will entail, what the factions have to do with that, what is our interest in the DA, what is Eothas' interest in it, etc.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I don't think we actually know what PoE2 is about. Sure, we have to "find Eothas" (which I'm still bitter about), but that's it. We don't know what that will entail, what the factions have to do with that, what is our interest in the DA, what is Eothas' interest in it, etc.
For me, the basic synopsis for Deadfire reminded me of New Vegas (minus the giant god part). We have four regional powers vying for a resource (Hoover Dam vs. Adra), with one big city in the middle of it (New Vegas, etc). Hence, I assume factions will play a bigger role. If I am correct, I hope Obsidian manages to bring the same care as New Vegas.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Why are you bitter about having to find Eothas?

Because it cheapens his death. It also feels like a cop out, trying to out-epic PoE1. There are so many other things they could've focused on, but they decided to go the most ass-pull-y route.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Because I'm bitching the idea about it atm and I know what most people will or won't like :P

and the fact that most people won't play a priest of eothas.

Anecdotal and I'd say unsubstantiated claim. Not to mention that they won't know if they can ally with him if they don't play a priest of Eothas.

Metaknowledge.

We live in a world a world where income inequality (as a distinct issue from the issue of poverty) is considered a major problem. Trust me, once people find out on the internet that one subclass of one class can do something major that everyone else can't they will feel the hole in their souls and bitch about it relentlessly.

Sentinel

Arcane

Because it cheapens his death. It also feels like a cop out, trying to out-epic PoE1. There are so many other things they could've focused on, but they decided to go the most ass-pull-y route.
I see. I always assumed that Gods in PoE were immortal (probably because of my ignorance, I admit I never read much about the setting other than the in-game stuff) so Eothas returning wasn't particularly surprising to me.

Prime Junta

I see. I always assumed that Gods in PoE were immortal (probably because of my ignorance, I admit I never read much about the setting other than the in-game stuff) so Eothas returning wasn't particularly surprising to me.

They are effectively immortal. They already made it clear that Abydon died and was reborn as something else.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/127356082?t=18m24s

what?

having the "Quick switch" perk and all the weapon slots unlocked allows you to fire 4 firearms in quick successtion
There is the Gunner perk witch makes you reload faster.

Also the recovery time is void with the quick switch active because after firing you can switch to the other slot and the only dead times are the reload times.
There are pistols with quick reload time in the game and that with the gunner skill and the chant makes reloading way faster. Also there are buffs/potions for attack speed increase.

at 34:40
what was the name of that guy here on the Codex that made those exquisite portraits for PoE1?
he has a chance to make good money.
EDIT: Jaceface
"No recent activity information is available for Jaceface."
you son of bitches drove him out too? :)

Blaine do you have his contact information?
you could give him a message

Jasondoesart@gmail.com

Last edited:

2house2fly

Magister
Pretty sure that poster wasn't being literal; though, that being said, the "souls" in POE are more like fodder for ancient machines that can be manipulated and destroyed rather than traditional immortal souls. The "gods" in this world are fake constructs that feed off these "souls". So the game clearly caters towards an atheistic mindset. Of course, not all Atheists are SJWs, but certainly almost all SJWs are Atheists. And yeah, making it clear that the "gods" in this world are fake constructs does indeed make the game feel more "soulless" -- just like in the Star Wars prequels when it was announced the "force" was nothing more than some microbes in your bloodstream. People don't want to hear shit like that; it is a buzzkill and it jumps the shark. Let there be some mysteries so that we may wonder; not have our wonderment doused by a wall of text thrown in our face like a bucket of ice water.

If your "soul" can be captured/manipulated/destroyed by a machine built by mortal hands, then it is probably not truly a soul then.
I was being facetious, but in the game's setting the Engwithans decided to keep everyone from realising that the world is full of mystery and wonder, by inventing gods and having people just believe in them instead. The mindset you describe is one the game gives to the villain.

Yeah, the forced ending to his storyline comes out of fucking nowhere and railroads you in a one-sided dialogue that cannot be resolved. You either pitch a conspiracy theory less substantiated than Hollow Earth and the Holocaust, and somehow convince this religious zealot that he was a patsy for Magran's ambitions in league with Woedica despite zero evidence of such, or you simply ignore the conversation and get the ending where he allegedly kills himself.
That conversation literally has you discuss the evidence with him. It does kind of come out of nowhere, but it's plausible given what you know.

The only dlc that makes sense in an rpg is to expand the story post ending. Mid game dlc like the white march is ridiculous, both in terms of gameplay and commercialy.
"commercially"? What are you talking about? Restricting a DLC to post-ending restricts its audience to the people who finished the game. Look up steam achievements for game completion some time.

Chris Avelltwo

Scholar
The only dlc that makes sense in an rpg is to expand the story post ending. Mid game dlc like the white march is ridiculous, both in terms of gameplay and commercialy.

So by your weird logic you think Broken Steel for FO3 was a "great DLC" because it expands the story past the ending, but Dead Money/Old World Blues/Lonesome Road/Honest Hearts for New Vegas were "shit" because the were mid-game? Gimme a break!

2house2fly

Magister
To be honest I also don't like the flow of "and then the hero completed his adventure. And then he went on another, shorter adventure." White March fit in fairly decently around the end of act 2 for part 1 and act 3 for part 2, the leap between "making friends in the city" and "confronting the gods face-to-face" gets padded with tackling archmages, defending your keep, and investigating weird remote abbeys.

Also, Chris Avelltwo confirmed for not being an Avellone alt, since Avellone likely thinks Broken Steel was much better than any of the New Vegas DLC

Kem0sabe

Arcane
So by your weird logic you think Broken Steel for FO3 was a "great DLC" because it expands the story past the ending, but Dead Money/Old World Blues/Lonesome Road/Honest Hearts for New Vegas were "shit" because the were mid-game? Gimme a break!
There are open world games that facilitate the integration of mid game DLC, either by their shear size ie Witcher 3, or by allowing the player to continue playing after the main quest is complete.

Typically smaller games, like PoE, mid game expansions are released much after the majority of the player base have played the game, forcing returning players to pick the game up knowing that the story will still end the same way.

In my opinion, expanding the narrative is always preferable than having to replay it all again.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom