Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Torment: Tides of Numenera Thread

Terpsichore

Arcane
Jesus, the encounter with Memovira is dogshit, all this build-up for what, 2 lines of dialogue and getting sent on another fetch quest?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Or maybe, unlike what the Codex likes to believe, Sawyer had nothing to do with Avellone's departure and the two of them were never at war with each other.

But I guess, it's easier to believe that the Evil Overlord Sawyer intentionally robbed poor Chris of all the lead roles on their games and eventually drove him out of the company, even if he never had that kind of power since he was and is just an employee (albeit an important one), while Avellone was one of the co-founders and co-owners and therefore ranked higher on the hierarchy. That seems a very likely scenario, sure. :M

Fairfax has teased that his upcoming mega-interview contains an example of Sawyer mismanagement. :)

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You can ask the stichus in Underbelly to bring you there for 10 shins.
but you can't go to the other side of the bridge right?
Oh yeah I was talking the place below the rogue Stichus' position. Not sure how to cross the bridge.
Is there a way to manual choose your character's path in crisis? I'm stuck at the infamous sorrow part and my characters keep stumbling through the fire, which makes rescuing Melmoth extremely and unnecessarily harder.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've been avoiding this thread like the plague, in fear of getting spoiled.

Reached the bloom. I have to admit that my overall experience with the game is positive, despite the flaws that are there.
What I don't like is the combat. Items, beside cyphers mostly seem pointless. You'd think that they would improve the combat of their previous game, but no, they somehow managed to make it worse. I usually stealth my way through combat encounters.
Areas aren't always very big. Most of the are usually straight corridors. Some of them look really good while others look uninspired. Character models and animations are crap. They should feel ashamed. Graphics aren't the most important part of the game, but for the love of GHod, put some effort into it.
The atmosphere and music are decent enough. I actually like the soundtrack a lot. It is the part of the game that feels closest to the first game. It's a shame that there aren't many tracks from what I can recollect.
I like the writing. It can be overly verbose at times, but I am liking most of it. They might have gone a bit over the top with how many special snowflakes you meet, but I like the world and don't mind reading about them. My biggest criticism in regards to writing is that they could use a little less descriptive text. They are overdoing it.
I've used the same three companions for the whole game. Erritis, Matkina and Rhin. I think they are decent to good. I can't stand the others. I will swap them in to complete their quests, but other than that, I don't want anything to do with them.
Again, as I have been saying over and over, it is a solid product that could have been much more. Better combat and areas, better and more fun itemization.
I don't regret backing this and I will probably consider this to be one of my favorite games of the year, but the potential for a classic was squandered. What the hell were they doing for these past five years?

I can't comment on voice an opinion on C&C until I do another run after I beat the game, but I wouldn't be surprised if most of it is just an illusion. I won't hold it against this game in particular, though. Unfortunately, this seems to be par for the course these days.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Journey to Earth one billion years into the future to find there Tybir is gay and the only love quest in the game is that of 2 males.

I like the game but I give you that. The moment I read about the setting all those years ago I thought "oh shit, that can't end well".

Problem is this - absurd time spans like that have only two possible outcomes. Either the setting is "authentic" but also so fuck-ass weird and alien it could never spark any emotional response or genuine interest in anyone. Or it's somewhat familiar but it feels dumb and cheesy. Like that episode of Doctor Who taking place a billion years from now where contemporary looking people in contemporary clothers were running around shooting each other with AK-47s.

There are rare exceptions. The only authentic setting (I know of) from a genuinelly eerie unfathomable future that's still engaging and interesting is The Night Land, alas McComb is not W. H. Hodgson.

Or maybe, unlike what the Codex likes to believe, Sawyer had nothing to do with Avellone's departure and the two of them were never at war with each other.

But I guess, it's easier to believe that the Evil Overlord Sawyer intentionally robbed poor Chris of all the lead roles on their games and eventually drove him out of the company, even if he never had that kind of power since he was and is just an employee (albeit an important one), while Avellone was one of the co-founders and co-owners and therefore ranked higher on the hierarchy. That seems a very likely scenario, sure. :M

Based on forum evidence I'm 100% sure that Sawyer took 2kk out of his pocket to fund Deadfire just to piss the Codex one more time.

I think they both need one another. One is like the ying to the other's yang, and when they're together there is balance and harmony. But when they are ripped away from one another it leads to problems. I have no doubt T:ToN would have turned out a lot better if Sawyer had been involved and supervised the gameplay mechanics. That is where the game is really lacking. The writing itself is stellar, but writing in itself doesn't make a game.

Similarly, without Avellone's involvement, Deadfire might end up with the opposite problem of having great balanced gameplay but less than stellar writing. I think that's less of an issue, because gameplay is more important to a game than the writing, but nevertheless, I fear that Deadfire will feel like it is lacking something without Avellone's input. Durance was my favorite companion in POE, and of course he's out, and unless Avellone returns to Obsidian he may never appear again. Same goes for the Grieving Mother, and everything else Mr. Avellone wrote; not to mention the advice and supervision he gave to all the other writers, the lack of which will have an impact that will be difficult to measure, but when people play Deadfire they might sense something is missing and maybe not be able to put their finger on it... that missing something is Chris Avellone.

So these two men need one another. Josh Sawyer for the gameplay mechanics and balance; Chris Avellone for the writing. THEY are the real Pillars of Eternity. CRPG greatness rests collectively on their shoulders, but neither one of them can bear this burden alone - they need each other. So I hope and pray this feud between them will one day be healed and they will be reunited once more. Until that happens, their respective projects will be like hollowborn children - lacking in a crucial element which only the other could have provided.

That being said, it's a shame Mr. Sawyer has his hands full atm with Deadfire, because he is just the man inXile could use to clean up Colin McComb's mess, and bring balance to the Tides.

Your logic has a flaw that crumbles the whole argument, Avellone involvement on both games is barely relevant, he was more interest in drawing comics and creating Siege of Dragonspear.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Wow, the writing in that short snippet is very good. Is the rest of IWD2 as good as that? Is it worth a playthrough?

Without a doubt yes, if you like IE combat. Just make sure to play on a the hardest difficulty.

I think they both need one another. One is like the ying to the other's yang, and when they're together there is balance and harmony. But when they are ripped away from one another it leads to problems. I have no doubt T:ToN would have turned out a lot better if Sawyer had been involved and supervised the gameplay mechanics. That is where the game is really lacking. The writing itself is stellar, but writing in itself doesn't make a game.

Similarly, without Avellone's involvement, Deadfire might end up with the opposite problem of having great balanced gameplay but less than stellar writing. I think that's less of an issue, because gameplay is more important to a game than the writing, but nevertheless, I fear that Deadfire will feel like it is lacking something without Avellone's input. Durance was my favorite companion in POE, and of course he's out, and unless Avellone returns to Obsidian he may never appear again. Same goes for the Grieving Mother, and everything else Mr. Avellone wrote; not to mention the advice and supervision he gave to all the other writers, the lack of which will have an impact that will be difficult to measure, but when people play Deadfire they might sense something is missing and maybe not be able to put their finger on it... that missing something is Chris Avellone.

So these two men need one another. Josh Sawyer for the gameplay mechanics and balance; Chris Avellone for the writing. THEY are the real Pillars of Eternity. CRPG greatness rests collectively on their shoulders, but neither one of them can bear this burden alone - they need each other. So I hope and pray this feud between them will one day be healed and they will be reunited once more. Until that happens, their respective projects will be like hollowborn children - lacking in a crucial element which only the other could have provided.

That being said, it's a shame Mr. Sawyer has his hands full atm with Deadfire, because he is just the man inXile could use to clean up Colin McComb's mess, and bring balance to the Tides.

Yeah, this is actually quite poetic. And I agree with it.

Are you a clone of Chris Avellone?

:desu:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
Also, speaking of PS:T, I finished it twice with a fighter and liekd it. Never played with either magus or thiaf +M
I would play/watch the mage path for Mebbeth though.
Shard of Ravel that teaches you magic. Through the quest she shows you failed mages (those who perform rituals, but without knowing meaning, etc). The quest is mundane, but has a nice touch imo.

After Ravel "dies," you can still speak to Mebbeth (who is fading if I remember correctly) and she shows a kinder side to Ravel.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
You can just run and turn off those drones. Don't bother trying to kill them.

Yeah but its still too much of hassle for me to go through, I bet the reward for completing the quest will be meaningless too.

I do enjoy the game despite its flaws but man is the combat crap in this one

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Shit, I checked Dan Simpson's excellent walkthrough and it seems that charisma is not so useful after all. Only Nordom and Ravel make a difference. And Vhalior/Fjull also I guess but not so important. I guess I didn't miss so much by never investing in charisma.

Prime Junta

Shit, I checked Dan Simpson's excellent walkthrough and it seems that charisma is not so useful after all. Only Nordom and Ravel make a difference. And Vhalior/Fjull also I guess but not so important. I guess I didn't miss so much by never investing in charisma.

WIS >>>> INT >> CHA

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath

Wis > int > charisma is the way to go at it. I don't think the physical attributes change much, except for token things here and there.

Prime Junta

Wis > int > charisma is the way to go at it. I don't think the physical attributes change much, except for token things here and there.

High CON makes fighting lulzy though

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I know guise, I was always pumping wis and int. The algorithm was: wait until you start missing PS:T, go play again with the same mage/wis/int build, repeat.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Also, speaking of PS:T, I finished it twice with a fighter and liekd it. Never played with either magus or thiaf +M

You at least did, hopefully, the Mebbeth quest chain. That alone is more creative than all of TTON put together.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
High CON makes fighting lulzy though

Yeah, but it's not a narrative thing. I always wondered about the attributes though, can you go so high in the Planescape PnP? 20+ is almost always illegal in AD&D, let alone 25.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

If you do the mage and thief starter quests, you can just switch to the required class via Dak'kon and Annah if you need it for dialogue or w/e.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom